PDA

View Full Version : Hornets shopping Chris Kaman

Killakobe81
01-27-2012, 09:30 PM
Wouldn't the Spurs, Pistons (played college in the area), Hawks, Warriors be interested?

I personally dont like him much, but he is a decent scorer.

Mal
01-27-2012, 09:35 PM
And which team have 10 mil salary cup space ?

Killakobe81
01-27-2012, 09:39 PM
And which team have 10 mil salary cup space ?

I didn't realize he made THAT much he makes almost $14 million! He makes RJ and his lover look like bargains, tbh.

LOL sure they will get cap space ... but man they still have to pay that man THIS year. Another crappy part of that deal.

Killakobe81
01-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Ok wait, let me get this straight ...

Hornets got:
Kaman to sit on the bench making $14 million that they have to pay this year.
Gordon a great prospect but is hurt (per usual).
Aminu is trash.
Minny's pick, but they are playing better than usual ...
Cap space
Plus dwindling attendance ...

Clips:
Dump a $14 million back-up center
Get a top 2 PG
Dump a prospect that had not impressed
Attendance goes up

This was a GREAT trade ...for the Clips ...

Latarian Milton
01-27-2012, 09:49 PM
mavs don't need another scoring option at the low post imho which they already have plenty of, a defensive BIG is what they need most now and thats why they should look seriously into the possibilities of getting DH come the offseason. an european soft bald ass ain't the solution imho

jjktkk
01-27-2012, 10:20 PM

How many times has anybody ever said that bout the Clips? :lol

TheSpurglar
01-27-2012, 10:32 PM

The value of Kaman in the deal was that he was an expiring contract, wasn't it? That's likely why the Hornets are trying to flip him for even more youth/picks. They're getting their young players more time and are in full-on tank mode.

Pelicans78
01-27-2012, 10:32 PM

Hornets got:
Aminu is trash.
Cap space

Clips:
Get a top 2 PG
Attendance goes up

Not every team can operate like the Lakers. The Thunder tanked for years to get where they are at. Hornets didn't need to acquire established players. They needed to start over completely. They did the same thing in 2004-2005 which helped them draft Paul and free up cap space to acquire Chandler.

mavs>spurs
01-27-2012, 10:33 PM
i'd take him as a 1 year rental if they just feel like giving him up for nothing

Killakobe81
01-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Not every team can operate like the Lakers. The Thunder tanked for years to get where they are at. Hornets didn't need to acquire established players. They needed to start over completely. They did the same thing in 2004-2005 which helped them draft Paul and free up cap space to acquire Chandler.

I get the end game. H78 I do. But just saying if they plan to flip Kaman for cap space why not hold on to Paul and force another team or Clips (NOT Lakers) to find more expirings especially ones that you would consider actually keeping at the right price? A young 1 year rental type? I get that this was the best deal out of the L.A. teams if you just want to tank ...but $14 million for this stiff? Was this honestly REALLY the best they could do?

Killakobe81
01-27-2012, 10:42 PM
The value of Kaman in the deal was that he was an expiring contract, wasn't it? That's likely why the Hornets are trying to flip him for even more youth/picks. They're getting their young players more time and are in full-on tank mode.

I agree, that is why they should of asked for more of those, in the Paul deal when they had all the leverage. Force the Clips to find acquire more. Clips should of found another team, and provided Hornets ALL they wanted.

Trainwreck2100
01-27-2012, 10:46 PM

the thunder tanked cause the owner wanted to move

Pelicans78
01-27-2012, 10:48 PM
I get the end game. H78 I do. But just saying if they plan to flip Kaman for cap space why not hold on to Paul and force another team or Clips (NOT Lakers) to find more expirings especially ones that you would consider actually keeping at the right price? A young 1 year rental type? I get that this was the best deal out of the L.A. teams if you just want to tank ...but $14 million for this stiff? Was this honestly REALLY the best they could do?

I don't know if it was the best. Paul wanted out. He had select places he wanted to go. NY and LA. Didn't want Golden State, didn't want Denver, didn't want Portland. It really limited what the Hornets could get.

They were gonna trade Kaman anyway. He wasn't a long-term piece. Same as Landry who was signed to a one year deal. They're gonna flip him too eventually. The Clippers trade allowed them enough space to sign Landry in the first place. They're gonna blow this current team up as well. Marco will probably be gone by the deadline. They traded for two young players in Greivis Vasquez and Xavier Henry who are getting quality minutes. Aminu is getting quality minutes off the bench. Jason Smith is starting now and playing well. Gustavo Ayon is playing well off the bench. The Hornets have lost a ton of close games this season. They have an awful record but their point differential is better than 6-7 teams. That's without Gordon.

They're gonna draft a stud and should acquire another solid pick who won't be a stud but could be a long-term starter alongside with Gordon.

Pelicans78
01-27-2012, 10:50 PM
I agree, that is why they should of asked for more of those, in the Paul deal when they had all the leverage. Force the Clips to find acquire more. Clips should of found another team, and provided Hornets ALL they wanted.

They couldn't because Paul didn't commit long-term. I don't blame them for not giving up more. Paul's only committed for two seasons.

Killakobe81
01-27-2012, 10:57 PM
And if DPG comes in here, I am not trying to relive that debate. I just think they should be able to get more for a top 5 player that is all. But it sounds like you guys are at peace with it being a "fair" deal. I disagree but like you said I can't say that I know for sure they could of done better, I just think they COULD have. Maybe I am wrong.

Agree him limiting his city choices didn't help. LOL Gilbert getting all pissy but Paul still went to a huge market and forced the Hornets hands ...

Darth_Pelican
01-27-2012, 11:02 PM
I've been to every Hornets home game this year and I must stay that I have been less than impressed by Chris Kaman. All he can do is shoot mid range jumpers. Other than that, he contributes nothing. He is a turnover machine as well. If the Hornets can get any value for him at all, then by all means, do it.

Pelicans78
01-27-2012, 11:03 PM
And if DPG comes in here, I am not trying to relive that debate. I just think they should be able to get more for a top 5 player that is all. But it sounds like you guys are at peace with it being a "fair" deal. I disagree but like you said I can't say that I know for sure they could of done better, I just think they COULD have. Maybe I am wrong.

Agree him limiting his city choices didn't help. LOL Gilbert getting all pissy but Paul still went to a huge market and forced the Hornets hands ...

99% of Hornet fans are happy with deal. They know the team is struggling now, but at least they're struggling with young players plus they get a high draft pick and a decent pick. Kaman isn't even with the team right now. They told him to stay home until he's traded. Having Gordon healthy is important as well.

Pelicans78
01-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Kaman sucks. I never liked him. I knew he wasn't gonna be here long-term. I'm glad he's finally not getting playing time. Ayon and Smith have more upside. Okafor is much better and Landry plays hard all the time even though he will be traded eventually as well.

Killakobe81
01-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Kaman sucks. I never liked him. I knew he wasn't gonna be here long-term. I'm glad he's finally not getting playing time. Ayon and Smith have more upside. Okafor is much better and Landry plays hard all the time even though he will be traded eventually as well.

ANd that is another issue. I guess because I saw he and Aminu as trash clouds my judgement a bit. but I thought Kaman was only getting $10 mill standard rate for a "decent" center. But having to pay him that sucks, so of course they want to flip him.

Isnt he a pal of Dirk? Since he expires, why not try and flip him to Mavs? Get Mahinmi, Odom and one more expiring. to make numbers work?

At least you can see if Ian is worth it you buy out Lamar and let billionaire Cubes pay Kaman ...

Pelicans78
01-27-2012, 11:54 PM
ANd that is another issue. I guess because I saw he and Aminu as trash clouds my judgement a bit. but I thought Kaman was only getting $10 mill standard rate for a "decent" center. But having to pay him that sucks, so of course they want to flip him.

Isnt he a pal of Dirk? Since he expires, why not try and flip him to Mavs? Get Mahinmi, Odom and one more expiring. to make numbers work?

At least you can see if Ian is worth it you buy out Lamar and let billionaire Cubes pay Kaman ...

I think it could work.

angelbelow
01-28-2012, 12:59 AM

Hornets got:
Aminu is trash.
Cap space

Clips:
Get a top 2 PG
Attendance goes up

In hindsight, yeah it was. I thought the clippers gave up too much BUT struck gold when it came to the marketing potential of having CP3.

But now.. they have the gold mine AND cp3 the player has been effective this year.

We have to wait and see what happens to Kaman and who they end up drafting. However, getting Kaman to sit on the bench isnt necessarily a bad thing, hes an expiring and frees up 14 million for the upcoming free agency.

stretch
01-28-2012, 01:09 AM
Mavs don't really need him.

They need less Jason Kidd, more West/Roddy.

Killakobe81
01-28-2012, 01:09 AM
In hindsight, yeah it was. I thought the clippers gave up too much BUT struck gold when it came to the marketing potential of having CP3.

But now.. they have the gold mine AND cp3 the player has been effective this year.

We have to wait and see what happens to Kaman and who they end up drafting. However, getting Kaman to sit on the bench isnt necessarily a bad thing, hes an expiring and frees up 14 million for the upcoming free agency.

I get that, I just hate dead money. Watching Luke sit on our bench for $7 million makes me want to slap a small child ...

angelbelow
01-28-2012, 05:13 AM
I get that, I just hate dead money. Watching Luke sit on our bench for $7 million makes me want to slap a small child ...

No one will ever fault you for that. At least hes expiring this year right?

Edit: Holy crap, just looked it up, hes got another season. Man whose his agent? That's some fine work he did.

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Why would you force a team to flip Kaman for a talent when you can hand pick the guy you want with cap space. Killa is severely underestimating the value of cap space going forward with the new CBA.

He keeps trying to find ways to back up what he said about the trade when he's dead wrong :lol

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 11:22 AM
"OMG, GREAT trade for the Clips" - Killa after every piece of news that comes out. It was a great trade for the Clips. It was also a great trade for NO. They are not mutually exclusive.

baseline bum
01-28-2012, 12:41 PM

Hornets got:
Aminu is trash.
Cap space

Clips:
Get a top 2 PG
Attendance goes up

Yeah, they could have been paying Odom $9 million to shoot 35%.

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Also, Walton's dead money is on the books ANOTHER year after this one. Kaman is gone with no ramifications and NO needed him to make money match and to at least meet min requirements. With Kaman, NO is still under the luxury tax and has one of the lowest payrolls on the league. LA with Walton, ya, not so much.

elemento
01-28-2012, 01:30 PM
The deal will look better for NOLA after the 2012 draft. They will have two lottery picks (even though the Minny is not as appealing as it was before), cap space and a young team ready to develop.
If they had got the HOU deal they would be better but they would be stuck in mediocrity for years. No good picks and still not a playoff team. They would be just like Houston is now.
They did the right thing, even though Laker fans don't accept it.

Killakobe81
01-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Why would you force a team to flip Kaman for a talent when you can hand pick the guy you want with cap space. Killa is severely underestimating the value of cap space going forward with the new CBA.

He keeps trying to find ways to back up what he said about the trade when he's dead wrong :lol

I already conceded that my bias towards Kaman and Aminu bugs me, I get the cap space is valuable ...more for trades than free agents, because hey won't get much.

I wa just focusing on Kaman ... I love how you like to make EVERYTHING about YOU. Even when i say I maybe wrong, you cant help but follow me :lol

I said Let's not go here Im tabling our debate for now. But if it helps your bruised ego then ...for now, you won DPG. You were right against me, national media David thorpe all the ESPN guys ...DPG is the man!! :toast

Killakobe81
01-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Yeah, they could have been paying Odom $9 million to shoot 35%.

9 million is less than $14 ... and I agree Odom sucking makes the Lakers deal look less appealing even though Scola and Martin have played well. But again Im putting the Lakers deal to rest, not arguing that anyway. Again, just saying thought they could do better.

Walton was just mentioned because I hate "dead money" ...Mavs have expiring deals for example, but those guys can play. Kaman is being paid to stay home. I get that NOLA is tanking ... but you can tank with multiple young scrubs just as easily as one expensive scrub.

My point of this thread was not to talk about Lakers or even to bait DPG. My point was why not hold a bit longer and force the CLips to get more young pieces? why not make the Clips find more pieces to make the deal work?

Lakers deal is water under the bridge. If I feel validated about this trade later on, it won't be about the Lakers trade being better, it will be more about the Hornets did not get enough for CP3 ... that is what DPG doesnt get. But for now we cant judge it. Just making points.

InRareForm
01-28-2012, 01:55 PM
So the assumption is Gordon is sticking with Hornets (any offer will be matched?)

Killakobe81
01-28-2012, 01:57 PM
The deal will look better for NOLA after the 2012 draft. They will have two lottery picks (even though the Minny is not as appealing as it was before), cap space and a young team ready to develop.
If they had got the HOU deal they would be better but they would be stuck in mediocrity for years. No good picks and still not a playoff team. They would be just like Houston is now.
They did the right thing, even though Laker fans don't accept it.

I agree if they dont want to compete this year, they went in th right direction. Again I just think they did not get enough ...Lakers could NOT get enough to staisfy the CLippers anyway so there is no point in bringing them up. Look at the threads back in Decemember, I was a Lakers fan AGAINST the Paul deal. Paul has never been my favorite PG and I felt we gave up too much. Now that Odom is sucking in Dallas the trade would of been good for us. But you guys that keep bring up "laker fan" ...need to exclude me, because I did not want the trade in the first place.

Killakobe81
01-28-2012, 02:00 PM
So the assumption is Gordon is sticking with Hornets (any offer will be matched?)

I doubt it, especially if rumors are true Pacers will throw big money at him. (he is from the area or at least he played college there)

Pelicans78
01-28-2012, 03:10 PM
I agree if they dont want to compete this year, they went in th right direction. Again I just think they did not get enough ...Lakers could NOT get enough to staisfy the CLippers anyway so there is no point in bringing them up. Look at the threads back in Decemember, I was a Lakers fan AGAINST the Paul deal. Paul has never been my favorite PG and I felt we gave up too much. Now that Odom is sucking in Dallas the trade would of been good for us. But you guys that keep bring up "laker fan" ...need to exclude me, because I did not want the trade in the first place.

Maybe they just wanted to tank completely and start over while getting a potential All-Star in Gordon in the process. I think you expected them get a Nuggets type of deal which wasn't happening because CP3 wasn't going anywhere except LA or NY. I'm not sure why you're having a hard time with this. He turned down Boston as well. Do you have any suggestions for what they could have done?

If the Hornets want to keep Gordon they will. They offered him 4 years 50 million, he wanted 4 years 55 million. Pacers or Boston may offer him more, but if he doesn't play then he might not get a good offer.

ChrisRichards
01-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Cap is seriously overrated especially when you operate the NOH. No perennial All Star player would sign there. All the top FA are locked up to sign with the better and bigger market. Stern's plan backfired plain and simple. No one would take Kaman in exchange for draft picks and younger prospects.

The Lakers deal was better. Lamar Odom is a cheaper expiring and he's much more easier to move than Kaman and at this point of his career, I think Odom would accept a buyout, you can;t say the same for Kaman. That guy is determined to get his full payment this year. Good luck finding a trade partner NOH.

Scola and Martin are also better pieces than Eric Gordon and Aminu. Aminu will probably get waived next year and Gordon while being a better talent is not a long term franchise player. At least Scola and Martin can net you some picks this offseason. Scola especially is an active big body. You will never find a shortage of suitors for that guy. And Martin at least is healthy unlike Gordon who looks like he mentally checked out this year.

Killakobe81
01-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Cap is seriously overrated especially when you operate the NOH. No perennial All Star player would sign there. All the top FA are locked up to sign with the better and bigger market. Stern's plan backfired plain and simple. No one would take Kaman in exchange for draft picks and younger prospects.

The Lakers deal was better. Lamar Odom is a cheaper expiring and he's much more easier to move than Kaman and at this point of his career, I think Odom would accept a buyout, you can;t say the same for Kaman. That guy is determined to get his full payment this year. Good luck finding a trade partner NOH.

Scola and Martin are also better pieces than Eric Gordon and Aminu. Aminu will probably get waived next year and Gordon while being a better talent is not a long term franchise player. At least Scola and Martin can net you some picks this offseason. Scola especially is an active big body. You will never find a shortage of suitors for that guy. And Martin at least is healthy unlike Gordon who looks like he mentally checked out this year.

You make great points ...I agree with most of what you say ...but again the Lakers deal is irrelevant, to me. I doubt we will be able to prove definitively the Hornets could of done better ...I just BELIEVE they could have. I don't have a hard time getting that they may have wanted to tank, but I just prefer the Utah and Denver deals better than what Hornets got. Denver wanted to remain contenders so that is probably apples to oranges. But if Paul is better than Dwill or close I still believe their deal was better. Utah got a younger prospect who was a big, a lottery pick and Devin Harris who has regressed a whole bunch but at least he is playing.

But whatever. But for whomever said 99.9 are cool with the deal, I have 2 Hornets fans in my fantasy football league and they both think you guys didnt get enough. They didnt love the Lakers deal either ... neither plan to attend any Hornets games in NOLA they are undecided if they will attend a game here in DFW at the AAC ...

The only thing they are excited about with the Hornets they both love Landry's toughness ...

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 06:24 PM
:lmao at saying the Lakers deal was better. Even the idiots who said the Laker deal was good (it never was) all said the Clips deal was better for NO.

Spurs9
01-28-2012, 06:46 PM
The Lakers Hornets deal would have been better for the Hornets, :lmao: at stern blocking it

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 07:07 PM
No.

Latarian Milton
01-28-2012, 07:10 PM
:lmao at saying the Lakers deal was better. Even the idiots who said the Laker deal was good (it never was) all said the Clips deal was better for NO.

clippers lost both gordon and the pick. paul is a god player but he ain't worthy of such a big gamble and when the lil nig ends up walking come the end of the season, the clippers are fucked

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 07:14 PM
He can't walk for at least one more season after this one, LM.

Killakobe81
01-28-2012, 07:45 PM
That was CR, not me. If they wanted to win now it was better but that was not the objective so Clips deal was better for what they wanted to do ...tank. Not arguing that just saying they shoulda been able to do better.

Like I said DPG, I concede to ya on this one for now. Not much can be discussed until we see what happens with Gordon, picks or how they use cap space.

elemento
01-28-2012, 08:07 PM
ROFL @ fake Heat fans that are actually Laker fans :lmao

DPG21920
01-28-2012, 08:15 PM
That was CR, not me. If they wanted to win now it was better but that was not the objective so Clips deal was better for what they wanted to do ...tank. Not arguing that just saying they shoulda been able to do better.

Like I said DPG, I concede to ya on this one for now. Not much can be discussed until we see what happens with Gordon, picks or how they use cap space.

Was talking to CR, sorry bout that.

Killakobe81
01-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Was talking to CR, sorry bout that.

No apologies needed between us, DPG. As long as there is mutual respect I got ya back ... no matter what we disagree on.

Giuseppe
01-28-2012, 08:46 PM
No apologies needed between us, DPG. As long as there is mutual respect I got ya back ... no matter what we disagree on.

:rolleyes

BlackSwordsMan
01-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Laka fan apologize to the spur fans. Please.

Giuseppe
01-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Sometimes I just don't get Killa. Deads too.

ChrisRichards
01-29-2012, 09:07 AM
At the end of the day NOH got screwed here. This was a plan that backfired for Stern. Kaman will not net them younger talents and picks. He will most likely stay in NOH and they have no choice but to eat that salary. Odom is at least cheaper.

Gordon is not even guaranteed to resign with NOH.

New Orleans Hornets shooting guard Eric Gordon said Friday morning it was a mutual decision between him and the franchise to put off trying to get an extension agreement finalized before Wednesday’s deadline. Gordon will become a restricted free agent on July 1, and the Hornets General Manager Dell Demps said they will make a push to re-sign him.

http://media.nola.com/hornets_impact/photo/10387232-large.jpg

.It wasn’t that I turned down anything, it works both ways,’’ Gordon said. ``Yes, I’ll be restricted, but I am just a basketball player right now and the future is unclear.

Gordon also wants that max deal. NOH at this time doesn't want to commit to a max contract and I don't blame them. Gordon is injury prone. He already missed 56 games the last 3 years. There is a lot of teams out there with a sound foundation that will make a run for Gordon though, Boston, Dallas and New Jersey for example. All are much more lucrative than staying in NOH.

DPG21920
01-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Doesn't matter ^