PDA

View Full Version : Pop's Substitution pattern for the Bigs was a step in the right direction

Amuseddaysleeper
01-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Blair played the right number of minutes he should be getting.

He continues to put more faith into Splitter.

If we can get Splitter around the 30 minute mark (if not more) and cut Bonner back to 10-15, we should be good.

On the other hand, can somebody out there cut RJ's minutes in half? :lol

silverblk mystix
01-27-2012, 10:20 PM
co-sign...

DesignatedT
01-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Offense was complete shit with Duncan and Splitter out there together tbh. Can't take too much from it though, sample size is still too little. They haven't played enough together yet.

yavozerb
01-27-2012, 10:26 PM
Blair played the right number of minutes he should be getting.

He continues to put more faith into Splitter.

If we can get Splitter around the 30 minute mark (if not more) and cut Bonner back to 10-15, we should be good.

On the other hand, can somebody out there cut RJ's minutes in half? :lol

Why? With Kawhi out there its 4 on 5 on the offensive end..He continues to try and succeed in becoming non existent on offense.

MaNu4Tres
01-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Offense was complete shit with Duncan and Splitter out there together tbh. Can't take too much from it though, sample size is still too little. They haven't played enough together yet.

Offense was shit because they force fed situations that weren't going to turn into efficient opportunities (force feeding Duncan and forcing Parker into multiple hedges that led to bad jump shots; outside of R.J's open look).

They went to Splitter on the block twice and scored 5 points off those 2 touches. After that, they never went to Splitter again.

That is on Pop, Parker and Duncan for not electing to go through their most efficient play-maker right now.

Those two could co-exist just fine if they actually give the ball to Splitter on the block more than 2 times the whole 4th quarter.

Splitter is our 2nd best option right now, arguable our most efficient option with Manu out.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Offense was shit because they force fed situations that weren't going to turn into efficient opportunities (force feeding Duncan and forcing Parker into multiple hedges that led to bad jump shots; outside of R.J's open look).

They went to Splitter on the block twice and scored 5 points off those 2 touches. After that, they never went to Splitter again.

That is on Pop, Parker and Duncan for not electing to go through their most efficient play-maker right now.

Those two could co-exist just fine if they actually give the ball to Splitter on the block more than 2 times the whole 4th quarter.

Splitter is our 2nd best option right now, arguable our most efficient option with Manu out.

Thank you.

There is 0 reason why Tim and Tiago shouldn't be able to play together. Tim can play the high post and stick to his jumpers to save his body, while Tiago should have 4 down run for him every time.

DesignatedT
01-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Hey I'm all for Tim and Tiago playing together. Just saying the offense was flat out horrible with them on the floor together. Blame it on whatever you want but it was.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Hey I'm all for Tim and Tiago playing together. Just saying the offense was flat out horrible with them on the floor together. Blame it on whatever you want but it was.

But if Duncan hits even half the shots he should have, the offense would've looked great.

I bet in 2 weeks they'll look even better together than they do now. They've barely played at the same time. Defensively, they're awesome together.

Caeman
01-27-2012, 10:37 PM
I actually agree with this post. However, when Splitter hits the floor (with Tim already on the floor) the ball goes to Timmy and not Splitter. This is a grave mistake at this point in the TOSB's career.

Arc
01-27-2012, 10:38 PM
they keep going to duncan in the post out of respect or something, but it's costing us games. when is pop gonna realize that splitter is the best big on the team? he deserves to start, he deserves more minutes, and most importantly, he deserves more touches.

angelbelow
01-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Splitter in the post and Duncan in the high post. His midrange is as good as D-Robs when the situation was reversed (Duncan was a rookie and D-Rob was the downhill veteran.)

Unfortunately I fell asleep for the 4th so I didn't see what went wrong but Splitter was definitely effective again. His defense on Love wasnt the greatest in the 3rd but he was securing rebounds and making things happen on offense.

I think we're going to transition to Duncan deferring to Splitter and see what that looks like.

DesignatedT
01-27-2012, 10:41 PM
they keep going to duncan in the post out of respect or something, but it's costing us games.

It just won us a game 4 days ago....

SpurNation
But if Duncan hits even half the shots he should have, the offense would've looked great.

That's the issue sometimes with a living legend. Sometimes better opportunities are bypassed just to keep the legend alive.

Caeman
they keep going to duncan in the post out of respect or something, but it's costing us games. when is pop gonna realize that splitter is the best big on the team? he deserves to start, he deserves more minutes, and most importantly, he deserves more touches.

God damn, son. This is exactly how I feel. Timmy is getting a ton of money (out of respect). Time to move on and feed the beast in Tiago.

jjktkk
01-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Its a process. This is really a transition from Duncan being the #1 scoring option, at least as a big, to now Splitter. Its not going to happen overnight.

MaNu4Tres
01-27-2012, 10:46 PM

But in order to come up with the solution to the problem you got to ask yourself, objectively, why? Why was it horrible?

My reason why is because they were utilizing Splitter, who is top 5 in the NBA in PPS and top 5 in 2 pnt FG percentage; (the most efficient option on the team right now), as a 3 foot orange cone 90% of the time they were on the court together. All while Tony was dancing into multiple hedges, frantically trying to come up with any shot for himself or a teammate-- which usually ended up in a contested jumper.

In the other sequences, the plays were ran for Duncan, who was 2 for 8 entering the quarter IIRC. And ended the game going 2 for 12. Duncan is not good at creating shots for others now due to his lack of mobility. Which means, when does he gets the ball-- there's really only one shot for himself that can be created from running the play for him (unless he has a vintage Duncan game;which there's been maybe 3 this whole season).

If they utilize Splitter more and use different sets that exploit the advantage they have with Splitter/Parker (Splitter on the block and Splitter/Parker PnR); all while Duncan is spotted up from 12-15 feet from the weakside (elbow/baseline) the Spurs offense should be fine statistic wise in the long-run.

The problem with this is, Pop has to acknowledge it and Tim has to accept it (which I don't see Tim having a problem doing considering his self-less nature). **With exception of when Tim is on fire, which isn't and won't be often obviously.

DesignatedT
01-27-2012, 10:48 PM
Its a process. This is really a transition from Duncan being the #1 scoring option, at least as a big, to now Splitter. Its not going to happen overnight.

For those of you calling for it. This.

angelbelow
01-27-2012, 10:52 PM

Whose calling for this to happen overnight?

Caeman
01-27-2012, 10:53 PM

The mistake you are making is that the process started last year. There was a definitive shift in the Spur's mindset last year.

The fact is the process started. The fact remains that the TOSB is getting in the way.

Don't get me wrong. IF the TOSB has a hot hand, then give him the ball. But, if he is shit from the start then you must sit the shitbag down.

ElNono
01-27-2012, 10:54 PM
It just won us a game 4 days ago....

And today it wasn't working... you keep going to the same person?

DesignatedT
01-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Whose calling for this to happen overnight?

Plenty of people. Read the game thread or all the other threads.

DesignatedT
01-27-2012, 10:55 PM
And today it wasn't working... you keep going to the same person?

Didn't say that.

ElNono
01-27-2012, 10:56 PM
I thought Tim was just poor today... don't know if it's the long trip or what. Outside the 1st quarter when he was boarding well, he looked nailed to the floor. It costs us on both ends.

I'll add Blair is just playing free minutes right now.

ElNono
01-27-2012, 10:57 PM
This was a step in the right direction though... today we competed against a good team on the road. There will be mistakes along the way, but this was something to build on.
If we can stay competitive in games, we'll win some.

Findog's Ex Fiancee
01-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Splitter in the post with Duncan playing up top.

As for the wings, whichever player is having a good night, should stay on the floor. Jefferson, Leonard, Green and Neal are all severely flawed players, go with the hot hand.

angelbelow
01-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Plenty of people. Read the game thread or all the other threads.

You mean the Duncan is shit thread? I didn't bother opening it. Its a troll thread.

I find it hard to believe that the serious posters are asking for an overnight overhaul of the offense.

DesignatedT
01-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Comparing the Duncan/DROB days to Tiago/Tim just doesn't correlate to me and that's what everyone keeps going off of. Tiago isn't anywhere near the player Tim was when he came into the league. Saying that, Tiago needs to touch the ball ALOT more and I understand this but that doesn't mean Duncan doesn't get the same amount of touches if not more some nights (depending on the hot hand between the two). Duncan can still be the man down the stretch in some games (not all) but Pop has to see if he has it that night or if Tiago will be a better hand to ride that night.

I disagree that Tiago should be getting the touches down the stretch every game and that Duncan is done or isn't capable anymore. I'm not convinced Splitter is the better player every night they suit out.

MaNu4Tres
01-27-2012, 11:02 PM
I find it hard to believe that the serious posters are asking for an overnight overhaul of the offense.

Going to another option in the 4th, whenever Tim and Tony aren't mustering any good looks for themselves or others, is an overnight overhaul of the entire offense?

News to me.

Findog's Ex Fiancee
01-27-2012, 11:02 PM
Also, it's frustrating that the guards on the team constantly ignore Splitter.

Green and Neal, in paticular. They try to do too much, instead of dumping it in to Splitter, it's as if they don't realize that they are irrelevant players.

jjktkk
01-27-2012, 11:03 PM
Going to another option in the 4th, whenever Tim and Tony aren't mustering any good looks for themselves or others is an overnight overhaul of the entire offense?

News to me.

ElNono
01-27-2012, 11:05 PM
Comparing the Duncan/DROB days to Tiago/Tim just doesn't correlate to me and that's what everyone keeps going off of. Tiago isn't anywhere near the player Tim was when he came into the league. Saying that, Tiago needs to touch the ball ALOT more and I understand this but that doesn't mean Duncan doesn't get the same amount of touches if not more some nights (depending on the hot hand between the two). Duncan can still be the man down the stretch in some games (not all) but Pop has to see if he has it that night or if Tiago will be a better hand to ride that night.

I disagree that Tiago should be getting the touches down the stretch every game and that Duncan should not.

Tiago isn't and likely will never be the post player Tim was. But Tiago right now can actually put the physical work on the post that Tim no longer can.

We stopped going to him there when he basically had back to back baskets, and a kickout to a free Neal for a wide open 3. When you have somebody dominating like that, the double teams are going to come sooner or later. That's when Tim can make them pay.

You could even argue that we should've run a couple of plays for Tim (we did) and then go back to what was working if Tim isn't working. But we went completely away from what was working. Perhaps it's just Pop easing Splitter in towards a more prominent role. Perhaps he doesn't trust him. We'll see in the next couple of games.

DesignatedT
01-27-2012, 11:07 PM
I agree Splitter should have touched the ball more tonight. And I agree that he should get more minutes. I also agree that him and Tim have to play together.

Hopefully they get more comfortable together and can work out well. Tonight it didn't..

MaNu4Tres
Tiago isn't and likely will never be the post player Tim was. But Tiago right now can actually put the physical work on the post that Tim no longer can.

We stopped going to him there when he basically had back to back baskets, and a kickout to a free Neal for a wide open 3. When you have somebody dominating like that, the double teams are going to come sooner or later. That's when Tim can make them pay.

You could even argue that we should've run a couple of plays for Tim (we did) and then go back to what was working if Tim isn't working. But we went completely away from what was working.

Exactly..

Findog's Ex Fiancee
It should also be noted that Pekovic is a better defender than Kevin Love, one of the worst in the NBA.

So, not only has Splitter been having more success, as of late, but he was going against Minnesota's inferior post defender. It made sense to throw it to him, in clutch time.

Caeman
01-27-2012, 11:08 PM
Another mistake in the comparison is the David actually aged gracefully. The TOSB get sodomized by no-name bench player in Pekovic.

Additionally, Timmy's jumpers sucks balls compared to the Admiral's j.

Edit: Sidenote, does anyone else get annoyed by Timmy when he clanks a jumper, but continues to hold his release? At first it was funny (in a cruel way), but now it just fucking annoys me.

angelbelow
01-27-2012, 11:09 PM

I disagree that Tiago should be getting the touches down the stretch every game and that Duncan is done or isn't capable anymore. I'm not convinced Splitter is the better player every night they suit out.

That goes without saying, and comparing something based on principle is different than duplicating something and expecting the same result. Splitter is effective in the post, and Duncan has proven to have an effective jumper. Thats the core of the comparison.

With Duncan and Robinson, we expected multiple championships. With Splitter and Duncan, we're expecting to get to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Expectations are completely different between the 2 pairs.

Having Splitter play the post and Duncan play the high post gives us more versatility of offense. Especially while Splitter is shooting a ridiculous percentage. Does it have to be every game? No. Is it worth a look because it makes sense strategically? Yes. But I don't think we disagree much here.

Findog's Ex Fiancee
01-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Another mistake in the comparison is the David actually aged gracefully. The TOSB get sodomized by no-name bench player in Pekovic.

Additionally, Timmy's jumpers sucks balls compared to the Admiral's j.

Edit: Sidenote, does anyone else get annoyed by Timmy when he clanks a jumper, but continues to hold his release? At first it was funny (in a cruel way), but now it just fucking annoys me.

Duncan is shooting 47% on jump shots, which is extremely efficient, for a big man.

MaNu4Tres
01-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Hopefully they get more comfortable together and can work out well. Tonight it didn't..

Why?

ElNono
01-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Tim having a lot of trouble with physical guys like Pekovic today spells trouble. That's exactly how Memphis played Tim and unfortunately he just doesn't have the physical tools or stamina to really play that rough game anymore.

The good news is that it seems Tiago doesn't have much of a problem toughing it out there. But we really need another big that can bang down low. Not to run offense, but to actually help on defense.

DesignatedT
01-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Why?

Too early to tell tbh. Tonight was the first time the both really got substantial minutes together virtually the whole 4th quarter of a tight game.

MaNu4Tres
01-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Too early to tell tbh.

Not really.

DesignatedT
01-27-2012, 11:22 PM
First we have to see what works when they are out there together. Not what people think will work. They have proven nothing together because they haven't had the court time to show it yet.

MaNu4Tres
01-27-2012, 11:28 PM
First we have to see what works when they are out there together. Not what people think will work.

It's easy to see what is and what isn't working throughout the course of a game.

Like those few touches Splitter converted while he was on the floor with Blair (not much different circumstance if it's Tim on the floor not Blair).

Like how Tim's legs were dead, which was a reason for his off night offensively from the 1st quarter onward.

These things are easily noticeable and should be taken into account going into crunch time.

This "I don't know what will work" nonsense when Tim and Splitter are on the floor together is laughable. We know both of their strengths. We know where they like the ball. We know who is on and who is off throughout the course of the game.

It's not rocket science as much as you're implying it to be.

SpurNation
01-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Makes sense that if a player is not having an efficient game to differ to a player who is having a more efficient game if the goal is to win the game.

But what does logic have to do with it?

Caeman
01-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Duncan is shooting 47% on jump shots, which is extremely efficient, for a big man.

Going 6/8 in one game, then 2/12 in another is not the recipe to success.....

DesignatedT
01-27-2012, 11:39 PM
It's easy to see what is and what isn't working throughout the course of a game.

Like those few touches Splitter converted while he was on the floor with Blair (not much different circumstance if it's Tim on the floor not Blair).

Like how Tim's legs were dead, which was a reason for his off night offensively from the 1st quarter onward.

These things are easily noticeable and should be taken into account going into crunch time.

This "I don't know what will work" nonsense when Tim and Splitter are on the floor together is laughable. We know both of their strengths. We know where they like the ball. We know who is on and who is off throughout the course of the game.

It's not rocket science as much as you're implying it to be.

You said "4 down belongs to Splitter now"

That's what I don't agree with. I have already stated 1000 times that Tiago should have gotten the ball tonight when it was obvious Duncan just didn't have it. What else do you want me to say here?

Tiago should get the ball more in nights like those but that doesn't mean Duncan can't shoulder the load some nights or you cant run the offense through him at the end of certain games (See NOH 4 nights ago). Pop will have to watch the type of games they are having and make that decision in the 4th but by no shape or form do I believe that "4 down belongs to Tiago now" and I also don't think you would be very successful doing that. He is not Tim Duncan.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-27-2012, 11:50 PM
Tiago right now is playing better than Duncan offensively.

And maybe even defensively as well.

Tiago has been on absolute fire lately. Especially with Ginobili out, why wear Duncan down?

Let Tiago play through this and the Spurs really would have automatically added a near all star caliber player which no one knew would be this good this quickly into the season.

DesignatedT
01-27-2012, 11:54 PM
I agree. Tiago should play a lot more minutes and get a lot more touches going forward. How can anyone disagree with that at this point.

mercos
01-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Splitter and Duncan together will work, but like others have said Splitter needs the low block position. Duncan has not been at his best this year with his back to the basket. He has looked much better shooting jumpers and driving from the high post. Splitter has looked fantastic in the low post. It is almost automatic at this point that he is going to put up a high percentage shot or find an open teammate.

The Spurs were very successful going to Splitter and letting him work in the fourth but they went away from it. In crunch time one of two things should happen right now. Pick and roll with Parker and Splitter, or go to Splitter in the low post and let him go to work. Those two options are the Spurs best chance to break down a defense until Manu gets back.

DesignatedT
01-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Splitter and Duncan together will work, but like others have said Splitter needs the low block position. Duncan has not been at his best this year with his back to the basket. He has looked much better shooting jumpers and driving from the high post. Splitter has looked fantastic in the low post. It is almost automatic at this point that he is going to put up a high percentage shot or find an open teammate.

The Spurs were very successful going to Splitter and letting him work in the fourth but they went away from it. In crunch time one of two things should happen right now. Pick and roll with Parker and Splitter, or go to Splitter in the low post and let him go to work. Those two options are the Spurs best chance to break down a defense until Manu gets back.

Giving the ball to Duncan and watching him put up 28 on New Orleans gave us a pretty good chance if you ask me.

Caeman
01-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Also, having TP and the TOSB running pick n roll (which usually leads to TP jacking up a jumper) defeats the purpose of having Splitter out there.

Get the TOSB out of the way and let Splitter do some work.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Giving the ball to Duncan and watching him put up 28 on New Orleans gave us a pretty good chance if you ask me.

Right, but Duncan hasn't been nearly as consistent as Tiago has.

Tiago just automatically does good things for you all the time. Duncan will always be the leader, but Tiago should be getting more shots off in a game than Duncan.

DesignatedT
01-28-2012, 12:02 AM
Right, but Duncan hasn't been nearly as consistent as Tiago has.

Tiago just automatically does good things for you all the time. Duncan will always be the leader, but Tiago should be getting more shots off in a game than Duncan.

I agree that both should kind of alternate depending on who's got the hotter hand.

SpurNation
01-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Giving the ball to ANY player with the hot hand gives a team a pretty good chance. Continually giving the ball to a player who is having an off night IS NOT a formula for winning.

MaNu4Tres
01-28-2012, 12:04 AM
You said "4 down belongs to Splitter now"

That's what I don't agree with. I have already stated 1000 times that Tiago should have gotten the ball tonight when it was obvious Duncan just didn't have it. What else do you want me to say here?

Tiago should get the ball more in nights like those but that doesn't mean Duncan can't shoulder the load some nights or you cant run the offense through him at the end of certain games (See NOH 4 nights ago). Pop will have to watch the type of games they are having and make that decision in the 4th but by no shape or form do I believe that "4 down belongs to Tiago now" and I also don't think you would be very successful doing that. He is not Tim Duncan.

Where did I say, Splitter is Duncan (prime Duncan is what you're implying I assume)? Never did I say that.

Listen, Duncan is my all-time favorite player (right next to Manu).

With that being said, I hate to break it to you (and I think I'm being objective; heaven forbid that), but Duncan is not a better post player than Splitter right now. Duncan usually falls down more often than not when he absorbs contact from the post defender-- which leads to a fadeaway/off-balanced hook that isn't close to being as efficient as it used to be. His knees and legs/core simple don't have enough strength or mobility to abuse people down low anymore. Most of his conversions from 4 down, is from a jumper off a jab-step or a reverse pivot fade away when his back is at the basket (these moves don't create offense for others/ nor do they warrant a strong double team; it simply kills the offense when it isn't going in).

Splitter is quite the opposite as he's able to absorb contact and get off a clean efficient looks time and time again (if not for him then for his teammates as well).

In my opinion, Splitter should see 4 down more than Duncan. I personally think Duncan should differ a little more and let the offense come to him from the pick and pop or for a 4 down jumper here and there (kind of like how Dave differed; that doesn't mean I'm trying to say Splitter has 2001-Duncan-like skills; it just means Splitter is a better and more efficient post scorer/offensive player than 35/36 year old Duncan). Sorry but its just my opinion and sorry for being aware that this is 2012 and not 2003. Still love Duncan though, with all my heart...tbh..

Caeman
01-28-2012, 12:04 AM

If i remember correctly the game ended in the Spurs winning 104-102? I may be wrong.

So, yeah. Thank god the TOSB went for 26+ because if he didn't, then it may have been a different story.

If Timmy scoring 25+ means beating shit teams like the hornets by 2 points, then we're in for a long season.

Caeman
01-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Giving the ball to ANY player with the hot hand gives a team a pretty good chance. Continually giving the ball to a player who is having an off night IS NOT a formula for winning.

Yep. Now if only these TOSB homers can understand this simple concept.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Caeman is trolling beautifully in this thread :lol

SpurNation
01-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Yep. Now if only these TOSB homers can understand this simple concept.

You do realize it was some other player "giving" the ball to Duncan instead of looking for the player with the hot hand.

Legends don't back down from the shot if given the opportunity. The best opportunity was to give it to the player with the hottest hand. Can't fault Duncan if Pop was calling the play for him or if Parker failed to get the ball to the better option on the court.

DesignatedT
01-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Caeman is trolling beautifully in this thread :lol

Not really since nobody has responded to anything he's said.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Not really since nobody has responded to anything he's said.

True

Carry on.

DesignatedT
01-28-2012, 12:17 AM
In my opinion, Splitter should see 4 down more than Duncan. I personally think Duncan should differ a little more and let the offense come to him from the pick and pop or for a 4 down jumper here and there (kind of like how Dave differed; that doesn't mean I'm trying to say Splitter has 2001-Duncan-like skills; it just means Splitter is a better and more efficient post scorer/offensive player than 35/36 year old Duncan). Sorry but its just my opinion and sorry for being aware that this is 2012 and not 2003. Still love Duncan though, with all my heart...tbh..

I'm not so sure that Splitter is hands down the more reliable option. Some nights yes, but some nights no. I definitely don't think it's clear cut that he's better in the post than 2012 Duncan is every night they suit up.

timvp
01-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Splitter playing big (bigger?) minutes was great to see. Splitter finishing the game was even better to see.

Let's hope Pop keeps it up even if there are growing pains. If he gives up on it, the Spurs are screwed.

mercos
01-28-2012, 12:19 AM

Obviously you feed any player who has a hot hand. I am no Duncan hater, and I think he can contribute greatly to the team. The problem is that he is not going to give us great play every night anymore. At his age he can not be relied upon as the primary threat on offense any more. I believe by taking the focus away from Duncan he would actually see his scoring increase. By running the offense through Parker and Splitter, Duncan would get a lot more open looks both inside and outside.

MaNu4Tres
01-28-2012, 12:26 AM
I definitely don't think it's clear cut that he's better in the post than 2012 Duncan is every night they suit up.

I definitely think that game winning shot of Duncan's against New Orleans is clouding your thought in regards of how Duncan has scored most of his points this year (off the jumper or an uncontested lay-up created from another player).

mystargtr34
01-28-2012, 12:45 AM
Agree with Manu4Tres.. without looking at the numbers which im sure would back it up.. Splitter is having alot more success than Tim in 4 down this season.

When Tiago has the ball down there.. im fully expecting a bucket or a foul. When Tim has it.. im expecting a tough off balanced one handed toss at the basket..not only he cant get the shot off he wants.. he doesnt have the strength to get where he wants to go in the post. He cant move anyone because hes about 230 pounds soaking wet.. he looks damn near anorexic out there. In his prime.. he was every bit of his 260 pounds he was listed at.. he was skillful and physically imposing down there.

Tim is better served playing the high post with the occasional 4 down look to mix it up when Tiago is off the floor. When Tiago is out there.. run 4 down through him.

angelbelow
01-28-2012, 12:51 AM
I'm not so sure that Splitter is hands down the more reliable option. Some nights yes, but some nights no. I definitely don't think it's clear cut that he's better in the post than 2012 Duncan is every night they suit up.

The point is that there's is no evidence to suggest Tiago isn't the better post player right now. Not only is he putting up some fantastic numbers, but you can tell by just watching him. Hes stronger, faster, has no problem getting his shot off while maintaining his balance against physical defense, and he plays smart. Playing Tiago in the post greatly benefits Duncan's game as well.

Duncan does a lot of his damage from the high post nowadays. His best games this season are the ones where he hits those 15-18 footers at a high percentage. Duncan hasn't been super effective from the post the last 2 years. This is evident in his increase jumpshot frequency and his significant drop off in points. More importantly, its obvious when you watch the games.

Doesn't mean that Duncan is useless in the post or that he should never demand the ball down there. It also doesn't mean that Tiago is going to be consistent for the season. In fact, there's no way he maintains a 75 FG% for the rest of the season. But right now it makes more sense to audition Splitter as the primary post player and see what happens from there.

Another one of Tiago's strength's that I am dying to see is his passing from the post. Especially once the double teams start to come. That's supposed to be one of his main strengths coming from Europe. If the scouting reports are true, our offense improves tremendously.

SpurNation
01-28-2012, 01:00 AM
Another one of Tiago's strength's that I am dying to see is his passing from the post. Especially once the double teams start to come. That's supposed to be one of his main strengths coming from Europe. If the scouting reports are true, our offense improves tremendously.

He's already shown flashes of that ability. It would be great to have plays occasionally run from the post instead of always from the perimeter.

crc21209
01-28-2012, 01:17 AM
The problem with the damn offense tonight, especially in the 4th quarter in the final 6-7 minutes, was that by the time Tim or Tiago got it in the paint, the shot clock was down to 10 seconds or less. That is not enough damn time to work in the paint. Tony and the rest of the guys gotta feed both of these guys sooner in the shot clock....

ElNono
01-28-2012, 03:34 AM
I ran through some stats from 82games.com this season, and here's some telling stuff about Duncan this season and Tiago this season.

Duncan
Shot selection: Jumpshots = 74%, Inside = 26%
eFG%: Jumpshots = 47%, Inside = 45%

Splitter
Shot selection: Jumpshots = 33%, Inside = 67%
eFG%: Jumpshots = 36%, Inside = 68%

Other interesting stats are that Tiago has been drawing fouls twice as much as Tim this season, and he's also been shooting free throws at a higher percentage. Tim is still the better shot blocker and passer.

Stats for both from 82games.com
Tim Duncan (http://www.82games.com/1112/11SAS15.HTM)
Tiago Splitter (http://www.82games.com/1112/11SAS14.HTM)

Russo21
01-28-2012, 04:50 AM
TBH TOSB what the heck do they mean?

ezau
01-28-2012, 05:19 AM
TBH TOSB what the heck do they mean?

"TOSB" stands for Tired Old Shit Bag. Some stupid trend that Cubby "copyrighted" months ago.

wildbill2u
01-28-2012, 10:18 AM
I know this will be considered heresy, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

Start Splitter.

Bring Timmy on from the bench in relief. He is no longer the best big man on the team on most nights. I don't think they can play extended minutes together for several reasons, not the least of which is TD can't play PF any more.

It will make the other players, especially Tony, to realize that they have to work through Splitter now and forget what they've been doing with TD for all these years.

TJastal
01-28-2012, 10:36 AM
I know this will be considered heresy, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

Start Splitter.

Bring Timmy on from the bench in relief. He is no longer the best big man on the team on most nights. I don't think they can play extended minutes together for several reasons, not the least of which is TD can't play PF any more.

It will make the other players, especially Tony, to realize that they have to work through Splitter now and forget what they've been doing with TD for all these years.

Disagree. Tim just needs to cope with the fact that right now Tiago is the better option and when they are on the court together the offense runs through him.

On a side not, I'll say its really is a shame Duncan never developed himself a reliable hook shot/other finesse post moves. Sure he has few variations of a running baby hook that he pulls out of his rabbit hat every once in awhile, but nothing I've seen that is reliable or consistent. With his length he would have no problems whatsoever getting these shots off. Most of his moves over the years have centered on bullying past or through his defender to get close high % point blank shots at basket. Now that his knees are shot he is a sitting duck out there with no way to get high % shots. He's got his jumper, his banker, and that 's about it.

xmas1997
01-28-2012, 11:56 AM
Disagree. Tim just needs to cope with the fact that right now Tiago is the better option and when they are on the court together the offense runs through him.

On a side not, I'll say its really is a shame Duncan never developed himself a reliable hook shot/other finesse post moves. Sure he has few variations of a running baby hook that he pulls out of his rabbit hat every once in awhile, but nothing I've seen that is reliable or consistent. With his length he would have no problems whatsoever getting these shots off. Most of his moves over the years have centered on bullying past or through his defender to get close high % point blank shots at basket. Now that his knees are shot he is a sitting duck out there with no way to get high % shots. He's got his jumper, his banker, and that 's about it.

And if I'm not mistaken both his jumper and banker depend on his knees.