PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Timberwolves - Jan. 27

timvp
01-27-2012, 11:53 PM
The Spurs and Timberwolves battled in a physical, low-scoring affair. After much back and forth, Gary Neal hit a three-pointer to put the Spurs up by two points with three and a half minutes to go in the game. Unfortunately, the Spurs never scored again and the T'Wolves ran away with a 87-79 victory.

This season, the Spurs have been able to blame their defense for virtually every loss. Tonight the defense was fine -- it was the offense that let the team down. The Spurs never scored more than 22 points in a quarter and they saved their worst offense for last. Down the stretch, the Spurs had only one field goal in the final seven minutes.

I give Minnesota a lot of credit. They pressured the Spurs throughout and fought for every inch of space in the paint. On offense, defending Ricky Rubio on pick-and-rolls proved to be very difficult.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2291/boxjan27.jpg

Tim Duncan D-
Early on, Tim Duncan was dominant on defense and on the boards. But as the game progressed, Duncan got worse and worse and worse. In the second half, the T'Wolves were pushing him around and he looked helpless, I hate to say. Some creature called Nikola Pekovic was simply using Duncan as a punching bag in the final two quarters. On offense, Duncan was soft, selfish and mistake-prone. Late in the fourth, he wouldn't get out of the way even though he was a disaster on that end all night. The sooner we all forget this game took place, the better.

Tony Parker C
We've seen this script from Tony Parker quite a bit recently: take a backseat early and then turn on the afterburners in the fourth. But Parker didn't execute it well tonight. During the "backseat" phase, he wasn't making plays for teammates or doing much of anything. He was basically playing like a well-paid version of Cory Joseph. Parker was able to get his points in the second half but, by that time, everything was so stagnant that it really didn't matter. He also seemed to run out of gas late in the fourth.

Richard Jefferson C-
Richard Jefferson connected on four field goals in the first eight minutes of the game. Inexplicably, he played 29 more minutes even though he was doing nothing. He didn't score a point the rest of the way and was an airhead on the defensive end. It's getting apparent that even his teammates are getting tired of his lackluster act. The cherry on top of Jefferson's poor night was a missed three-pointer late in the game in which he was wiiiiiiiiide open that could have made it a one-point game.

DeJuan Blair C-
To begin the game, I thought DeJuan Blair was pretty good. He had three assists on the first four baskets and was playing quality defense against Kevin Love. But Blair quickly wore down, which led to him having trouble running the court and staying in front of Love in transition. Blair also wasn't helpful on the boards and was held without a point. It's getting more evident that this compressed schedule is taking its toll on the undersized bigman.

Kawhi Leonard C+
On defense, I really liked Kawhi Leonard's activity level. This was the first game we really saw him attacking ballhandlers and playing a disruptive role on that end; I assume the coaching staff told him to be more aggressive defensively. The tactic backfired a bit because Leonard got in early foul trouble. But where he really struggled was on offense. Leonard has regressed on that end and is again having trouble finding his niche. To begin the game, the Spurs were trying to take advantage of the fact that the T'Wolves were using Luke Ridnour to defend him but Leonard failed to make Minnesota pay.

Tiago Splitter B+
Tiago Splitter's role is growing. His 27 minutes were his most in a game since opening night (outside of that one game Duncan sat out). Splitter responded with more really good play on the offensive end. On the low block, he's far and away the team's best player. When he's not scoring, he's able to find an open teammate. Against the T'Wolves, he was really good at defending the rim. But the glaring negative for Splitter tonight was his inability to defend Love out on the perimeter. While that is definitely a daunting task, it's the type of matchup Splitter is going to have to master if he wants consistent time in fourth quarters next to Duncan.

Gary Neal B
With the Spurs struggling for offense, Pop gave Gary Neal extended minutes. The results were mostly positive. He shot well enough and his three-pointer late in the fourth was the only shot anyone hit down the stretch. His decision-making was iffy but on the other end his defense is improving. Overall, Neal is starting to look like the player we came to expect last season.

Matt Bonner C+
On offense, Matt Bonner pulled his weight. Along with his trio of triples, Bonner hit a hook at the end of the third to tie the game ... and, shockingly, even got to the line. Things weren't as rosy on the other side of the court for Bonner, to say the least. He wasn't rebounding or being physical. And when the T'Wolves isolated against him, they usually had success. A few times, he got so twisted around that he lost sight of the ball.

Danny Green C
Chalk this up as a "trying too hard" performance for Danny Green. He's had his share of these so far this season. On offense, he too often was attempting to create when there was nothing to be had. I liked his rebounding on the defensive end but the rest of his activity didn't lead to many positives. Screens were, once again, an issue for Green. (All that said, Pop should have played him more instead of Jefferson. At least Green was hustling.)

Cory Joseph B-
I liked that Cory Joseph was pushing the pace to the best of his ability. But once he got the ball in the frontcourt, he was far too inactive. He wasn't breaking down the offense or creating offense. Instead, he resorted to simple passes that allowed Minnesota to set their defense against the struggling San Antonio offense. The good news is he was an asset on defense, especially when it came to helping versus bigger players.

Pop C
I've been begging for Pop to play Splitter more minutes and to finish the game with the Brazilian on the court. Against the T'Wolves, Pop did just that -- so I give him credit for that decision. I'll take a few losses now because I think it'll translate into more wins later. But there were definitely some other areas where I'm second-guessing Pop's decisions. The Spurs were going under the screen against Rubio all night long, and though it was a sound strategy since Rubio was in a massive shooting slump of late (22.8% in his last five games), Pop should have changed it up at some point. Rubio made the Spurs pay for showing him so little respect, finishing 7-for-12 from the floor. Pop also played Jefferson way too much and probably should have found more minutes for Parker to rest in the first three quarters. And that offensive implosion at the end was partially due to some poor playcalling by Pop. To be blunt, he should have called more plays that didn't involve Duncan.

Caeman
01-27-2012, 11:57 PM
An honest evaluation on Timmy's performance.

Yes, we must try our hardest to forget that we ever saw Pekovic sodomize Timmy.

blkroadrunners
01-27-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the write-up :tu

blackfire12
01-28-2012, 12:11 AM
An honest evaluation on Timmy's performance.

Yes, we must try our hardest to forget that we ever saw Pekovic sodomize Timmy.

Do you have a thing with guys and anal sex? Seems to be a recurring theme with you.

jjktkk
01-28-2012, 12:12 AM
Thanks Tim.

angelbelow
01-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Both Blair and RJ have a trend of starting the game strongly in the first 6 minutes then only to have all their positives cancelled out by negatives by the end of the 1st. From there, its usually downhill.

SpurNation
01-28-2012, 12:31 AM
This was just one of those uninspired games that were played, to watch, and to swallow.

Many trends that need to be corrected before the end of the season for the team to be legitimate contenders. If somehow the team could be keyed in to Sean's broadcast mike during a game...some of those corrections might be made soon enough to win these types of games.

mercos
01-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Pretty much spot on. Our starting front court just gave us nothing on offense tonight. I thought Pop brought Duncan back to early from his first rest. Not sure if that threw Timmy off tonight or he was just tired. On top of that we had a poor shooting night and did not get to the line much. Part of that is on Parker not breaking the defense down, and part of that is on poor officiating.

As for Rubio, I saw the coaches get a little upset with some of the screens the T-Wolves were setting. Pop definitely should have adjusted though once he started making shots. (Doesn't he know by now that everyone hits open jumpers against the Spurs?) I have noticed he is hesitant to change his pick and roll defense lately even if we consistently get burned.

rmt
01-28-2012, 12:42 AM
Just don't understand why Pop kept going to TD on a night that he obviously didn't have it - c'mon 2/12. Why not go to Tiago who was 5-7 and passed well out of double-teams for 3 assists? And against teams with 2 real big men (or Darko if he was playing) why not start with TD and Splitter instead of watching Love push Blair around? Blair is not going to cut it against LA, MIN or MEM.

Caeman
01-28-2012, 12:45 AM
Do you have a thing with guys and anal sex? Seems to be a recurring theme with you.

I think the fact that I saw a sodomization on national television has a little to do with it.

I mean when you watch one of your favorite players to ever play any sport get sodomized in that manner it's difficult to ignore. It's difficult not to talk about it.

I'm not going to lie that shit scarred me. I never want to see a man take it from another man like that again.

I hope this doesn't become a recurring theme either.

therealtruth
01-28-2012, 12:56 AM
Pretty much spot on. Our starting front court just gave us nothing on offense tonight. I thought Pop brought Duncan back to early from his first rest. Not sure if that threw Timmy off tonight or he was just tired. On top of that we had a poor shooting night and did not get to the line much. Part of that is on Parker not breaking the defense down, and part of that is on poor officiating.

As for Rubio, I saw the coaches get a little upset with some of the screens the T-Wolves were setting. Pop definitely should have adjusted though once he started making shots. (Doesn't he know by now that everyone hits open jumpers against the Spurs?) I have noticed he is hesitant to change his pick and roll defense lately even if we consistently get burned.

Every nba player will knock shots down if left open for long enough. That's why you don't want to give the offensive player consistent looks. You have to change it up.

therealtruth
01-28-2012, 12:57 AM
Just don't understand why Pop kept going to TD on a night that he obviously didn't have it - c'mon 2/12. Why not go to Tiago who was 5-7 and passed well out of double-teams for 3 assists? And against teams with 2 real big men (or Darko if he was playing) why not start with TD and Splitter instead of watching Love push Blair around? Blair is not going to cut it against LA, MIN or MEM.

TD hasn't been the answer in the post for the past couple of years. And especially against longer, taller, and heavier centers. He no longer has the mobility to take advantage and doesn't have the length advantage.

Caeman
01-28-2012, 01:00 AM

I found that to be funny. Pop did not change his defense because he wanted to force the refs into calling a moving screen. But, the refs were having none of that.

So instead of changing his defense Pop proceeded take jumper after jumper in an attempt to show or prove something to the refs.

The refs said no. Pop refused to adjust. Simple as that.

Caeman
01-28-2012, 01:02 AM
TD hasn't been the answer in the post for the past couple of years. And especially against longer, taller, and heavier centers. He no longer has the mobility to take advantage and doesn't have the length advantage.

You need to quit bringing common sense and facts into this post or people will think you're trolling them

Brazil
01-28-2012, 01:03 AM
Caeman all over the place... nice trolling job

crc21209
01-28-2012, 01:14 AM
RJ came out on fire, and then fell off. Dejuan Blair came out like shit from the get go. I'm tired of seeing this asshole in the post forcing moves and shots when they're not there to take. Does he not realize he's 4-5 inches shorter that all the guys hes going up against? He needs to get off this team IMO.....

wildbill2u
01-28-2012, 01:50 AM
There are going to be nights when Timmy simply can't bring it at this stage of his career. We--and more importantly Pop--have to see that and accept it. He had a very good game not too long ago, but those are going to be farther and farther apart.

Maybe its time to start Splitter and move TD to the bench. The problem would be the PF position because Blair can't play there and I don't like the idea of Bonner starting at PF either. Just goes to show how thin our front court is in talent.

Small ball might work best, but without Manu and Ford that's not likely to be successful.

Come to think of it, Pop just doesn't have many good options with this team at all right now.

dylankerouac
01-28-2012, 02:25 AM
Better effort than the first game. One day at a time.

TXstbobcat
01-28-2012, 02:32 AM
In both of the spurs games that I have watched at the target center up here this year, Jefferson has started off with a great 1st half and didn't score much in the 2nd half of either game. I thought the spurs would pull this one out when they took the lead late in the 4th on neal's shot.

ElNono
01-28-2012, 02:54 AM
I don't like the blame the refs, and I don't think it's the reason we lost, but I thought we got the short end of the stick tonight. It's obviously tough to get good refereeing on the road, but I thought Minny really got away with a lot of stuff. Half of the screens Pekovic was setting were moving screens. Pop got irate at one point. Tiago also was fouled a couple of times while making a basket, and you could see him getting upset and yelling at a ref (a rarity).

I think LJ is pretty much spot on. Defense wasn't bad and it's what kept us close all the way through. I thought we paid dearly early when they went straight to Beasley for like 4 possessions in a row and he made RJ his bitch. It kind of broke down for a while the good defensive job the team was doing.

As I said in another thread, Tim looked glued to the floor after the 1st quarter. I also didn't like how he responded to the physicality. I'm afraid he just can't deal with that anymore. Which is another reason to send Tiago to do the dirty work in the low post and Tim should start doing the spacing. His jumper was off today, but in general it's been falling.

Lastly, I'm not so sure that Blair's problem is just being tired. He's just been piss poor rebounding for a long while now, and that's entirely on effort. I thought that whatever minutes he received were just too many. It was clear from the get go that he wouldn't be able to do his dirty job inside the paint with an excellent rebounder like Love around.

All in all, they were some positives in this game. I thought Corey played relatively well, which is normally difficult for rookies while on the road. Tiago was again pretty consistent in the minutes he received. Above all, I liked we competed. Last time we went there, we got blown out by 20 and ended up with Manu injured. This was a winnable game all the way to the last 2 minutes. I'm hoping it's something we can build on.

jag
01-28-2012, 03:36 AM
Tiago also was fouled a couple of times while making a basket, and you could see him getting upset and yelling at a ref (a rarity).

There was a lot of contact on both ends of the floor with no calls, so I guess it's something the players just needed to adjust to. But I'm pretty sure Tiago was legitimately fouled on ever shot he took. Love and Pekovic were getting away with a lot of lower-body stuff on Tiago every time he'd start to go into his shooting motion. He has good body control and finishes incredibly well around the basket, but he should have been at the line more.

And uh, Pekovic is a work-horse. Guy looks like he should be wearing an urban-camo military uniform and fighting in a civil war somewhere in eastern Europe.

z0sa
01-28-2012, 04:23 AM
This game made me feel sad for Tim Duncan. Early on, he looked dominant - and all of the sudden, it's like he dropped of a cliff. One rarely questions Timmy's judgment, but he looked out of it tonight. Additionally, Parker regressed to the mean so to speak, never really asserting himself.

TJastal
01-28-2012, 08:34 AM
This was just one of those uninspired games that were played, to watch, and to swallow.

Many trends that need to be corrected before the end of the season for the team to be legitimate contenders. If somehow the team could be keyed in to Sean's broadcast mike during a game...some of those corrections might be made soon enough to win these types of games.

Coach Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_. Has a nice ring.

dbestpro
01-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Parker and Duncan need to learn to play off of Splitter better. Feed the big man and he will send it back if they are open. No need to force so many shots. They both need to have greater self awareness of when they are tired and they don't have the lift for their shot.

It's kind of funny, but it looks like Splitter may be the best player on the team at the moment. He sure took a lot of heat to get to this point from all the haters.

rmt
01-28-2012, 10:23 AM
There was a lot of contact on both ends of the floor with no calls, so I guess it's something the players just needed to adjust to. But I'm pretty sure Tiago was legitimately fouled on ever shot he took. Love and Pekovic were getting away with a lot of lower-body stuff on Tiago every time he'd start to go into his shooting motion. He has good body control and finishes incredibly well around the basket, but he should have been at the line more.

And uh, Pekovic is a work-horse. Guy looks like he should be wearing an urban-camo military uniform and fighting in a civil war somewhere in eastern Europe.

I was impressed with MIN - they have a nice team - Love, Darko, Pekovic and Miller + Beasley. That's a great front-court - makes me envious whenever I see Bonner/Blair. I think that Mav series (06) forever ruined Pop - what's he got against big, bruising guys - that Pekovic would be great on the Spurs. C'mon Pop, play Splitter over 30 mins.

Rubio is fun to watch - kinda like a smooth (not herky-jerky) Manu.

weebo
01-28-2012, 10:59 AM
The Spurs need one more Big that can come in and do all the dirty work and get none of the glory ala Will Perdue, Malik Rose, Kevin Willis, Danny Ferry...etc. Although Bonner and Blair have their moments, one is too short and one is too soft to have any sort of consistent play that can help Tim.

xmas1997
01-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Pop needs to play Thomas more IMHO.

Fabbs
01-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Pop C
I've been begging for Pop to play Splitter more minutes and to finish the game with the Brazilian on the court. Against the T'Wolves, Pop did just that -- so I give him credit for that decision. I'll take a few losses now because I think it'll translate into more wins later. But there were definitely some other areas where I'm second-guessing Pop's decisions. The Spurs were going under the screen against Rubio all night long, and though it was a sound strategy since Rubio was in a massive shooting slump of late (22.8% in his last five games), Pop should have changed it up at some point. Rubio made the Spurs pay for showing him so little respect, finishing 7-for-12 from the floor. Pop also played Jefferson way too much and probably should have found more minutes for Parker to rest in the first three quarters. And that offensive implosion at the end was partially due to some poor playcalling by Pop. To be blunt, he should have called more plays that didn't involve Duncan.
timvp,
How can CIA Popped get a C when he leaves Soft Dick in for the top game minutes?

It's like the bar has been lowered so much for Popped that when he actually does things correctly he gets over rewarded.

Canibspur
01-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Stop being to easy on CJ. Hes consistently being graded higher than his play deserves. I understand a rookie 2nd round pick has lower expectations but still. Lets be real. Right now he is the backup point and we need more from him every night.

ducks
01-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Parker and Duncan need to learn to play off of Splitter better. Feed the big man and he will send it back if they are open. No need to force so many shots. They both need to have greater self awareness of when they are tired and they don't have the lift for their shot.

It's kind of funny, but it looks like Splitter may be the best player on the team at the moment. He sure took a lot of heat to get to this point from all the haters.

tell pop to have them involve splitter more

if you are not doing what you are suppose to you get benched
rember pop benched blair,rj, tp one minute into third before