PDA

View Full Version : Could Dwight Howard be sold on the Spurs?

SpurNation
01-28-2012, 11:50 AM
From a "Way out there" or "They just did what" analogy.

Could the Spurs ever be realistic options to land Dwight Howard? Reports are he has "preference destinations". But...

Huge what if. The Magic decide it's best to tank for draft options, Free agent pursuit, PLUS manage to create cap space next year.

Now the unthinkable. (Depending on Spurs record at the time) Spurs trade Tim Duncan and Jefferson at trade dead line for Howard and Turkoglu. Orlando would create 10 mil. under next years cap if Duncan decides to...uh hum "not resign with Orlando"? This situation keeps both the Spurs and Magic from making the playoffs and Spurs throw in a draft pick to Orlando giving them multiple picks in next years draft as well as Spurs maintaining picks as well.

Spurs have now built a front court of Howard and Splitter along with the youth they've accumulated the past two years to compliment and establish a once again dominant team for years to come sans the normal "team in decline" routine of taking years to rebuild.

This of course if Howard "could be sold" and the Magic wanting to "restart".

And Duncan...he'll be back with the Spurs next season for another "realistic" run at a title.

I know...Way Out There.

xmas1997
01-28-2012, 11:53 AM
"Way out there" is an understatement for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fireball
01-28-2012, 12:25 PM
No chance at all ... and I am not sure I want him anyway. If we could merge his athleticism with Tiagos footwork in the post ... that would be something

blackfire12
01-28-2012, 12:30 PM
No

TDMVPDPOY
01-28-2012, 01:03 PM
the way duncan has been suckin, why would he come here

Trainwreck2100
01-28-2012, 01:04 PM
your bolded name should be revoked

jimo2305
01-28-2012, 01:04 PM
yet we get made fun of because of our grey names..

but i couldn't resist:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=7fhhg22 + all 1st/2nd rd picks

so in short... no

jimo2305
01-28-2012, 01:05 PM
your bolded name should be revoked

inb4 a 'my account got hacked' rebuttal

Caeman
01-28-2012, 01:20 PM
the way duncan has been suckin, why would he come here

duncan hasn't been suckin. He's saving it for the playoffs. :rolleyes

You need to stop disrespecting the greatest player and human being on the planet, Tim Duncan.

elemento
01-28-2012, 01:23 PM
No

Next question

Bruno
01-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Spurs best shot at getting Howard is this summer as a FA. Spurs won't be favorite to get him but they have some assets to, at least, be an intriguing choice for him.

Proxy
01-28-2012, 02:17 PM
:lol:pimpslap:deadhorse:frying::shootme:hang:lmao

LakerHater
01-28-2012, 02:59 PM
He wants to go to a team thats already winning... he cant carry a team.

Obstructed_View
01-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Giving Duncan this nightmare season off and then picking him up as a free agent next year would be sweet.

tp2021
01-28-2012, 03:51 PM
No, but he could be bought. Might not have enough to do so though.

MR.SILVER&BLack
01-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Howard will follow Dwill. so no we wont get him.

#41 Shoot Em Up
01-28-2012, 06:00 PM
lol

Wild Cobra Kai
01-28-2012, 06:21 PM
From a "Way out there" or "They just did what" analogy.

Could the Spurs ever be realistic options to land Dwight Howard? Reports are he has "preference destinations". But...

Huge what if. The Magic decide it's best to tank for draft options, Free agent pursuit, PLUS manage to create cap space next year.

Now the unthinkable. (Depending on Spurs record at the time) Spurs trade Tim Duncan and Jefferson at trade dead line for Howard and Turkoglu. Orlando would create 10 mil. under next years cap if Duncan decides to...uh hum "not resign with Orlando"? This situation keeps both the Spurs and Magic from making the playoffs and Spurs throw in a draft pick to Orlando giving them multiple picks in next years draft as well as Spurs maintaining picks as well.

Spurs have now built a front court of Howard and Splitter along with the youth they've accumulated the past two years to compliment and establish a once again dominant team for years to come sans the normal "team in decline" routine of taking years to rebuild.

This of course if Howard "could be sold" and the Magic wanting to "restart".

And Duncan...he'll be back with the Spurs next season for another "realistic" run at a title.

I know...Way Out There.

Need a quick explanation of how getting Dwight Howard and TurkeyGlue causes us to miss the playoffs. I don't see it.

Cane
01-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Duncan's already repping Adidas for San Antonio, so thats another big reason why D12 wouldn't come here, Dwight's looking to get an endorsment deal like Rose's. But if Boston is on Dwight's list nowadays then the Spurs shouldn't be too far behind either

Spurminator
01-28-2012, 07:00 PM
If getting him as a FA were at all a possibility, I'd send David Robinson out there first thing to appeal to him from the perspective of faith and charity work.

G-Dawgg
01-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Dude...we couldn't even get Josh Howard on our squad....what more Dwight Howard.....?

Mal
01-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Duncan's already repping Adidas for San Antonio, so thats another big reason why D12 wouldn't come here, Dwight's looking to get an endorsment deal like Rose's. But if Boston is on Dwight's list nowadays then the Spurs shouldn't be too far behind either

What`s 'repping' mean ?

Russ
01-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Dude...we couldn't even get Josh Howard on our squad....what more Dwight Howard.....?

Moe Howard anyone?

5in10
01-28-2012, 09:52 PM
I think to even have a chance at him this summer that we would at least have to make it to the finals and at least be competitive in them.

CGD
01-29-2012, 12:41 AM
We won't get him in a trade, but as a FA the teams that are able to be players becomes limited. Consider the Lakers -- if they are unable to trade for him, it's unlikely they can sign him as a FA short of them dumping large amounts of salary first. Same thing with Dallas & Clippers. The Nets become one of the few teams he'd be interested in that would be able to sign him on sheer cap space. I'm not saying the Spurs become players necessarily, but other teams are counting on a trade before the deadline or a sign and trade before he becomes unrestricted.

DMC
01-29-2012, 01:26 AM
Marquee free agents do not intentionally go to small market teams.

Donut
01-29-2012, 01:36 AM
I think the chances of us trading away Bonner and Blair together in the same trade would be infinitely better than Howard ending up here. Its a nice thought though...

pookenstein
01-29-2012, 06:38 AM
What`s 'repping' mean ?

Representing. Meaning he's the face of adidas in SA.

SpurNation
01-29-2012, 07:24 AM
Spurs best shot at getting Howard is this summer as a FA. Spurs won't be favorite to get him but they have some assets to, at least, be an intriguing choice for him.

Thanks. The thought I conjured is crazy. But the thought (like some have) of him not even considering the Spurs may be just as out there.

I think an all star caliber player would consider the Spurs if the right situation were presented. The "small market" moniker placed on this team doesn't hold water being the Spurs are a proven, successful, champion franchise. I've always been of the thought that success breeds success. If Howard wants to be on a successful team for his career...San Antonio has proven to be just as good or better than some of the "large market" teams.

The trade scenario I presented was more of...if Orlando were to be seriously considering trading him before the end of the season and him going into free agency...and the Spurs would really want to be in the running for Howard...that would be about the only way (other than a 3 or 4 team trade) it could get done.

Wild Cobra Kai
01-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks. The thought I conjured is crazy. But the thought (like some have) of him not even considering the Spurs may be just as out there.

I think an all star caliber player would consider the Spurs if the right situation were presented. The "small market" moniker placed on this team doesn't hold water being the Spurs are a proven, successful, champion franchise. I've always been of the thought that success breeds success. If Howard wants to be on a successful team for his career...San Antonio has proven to be just as good or better than some of the "large market" teams.

The trade scenario I presented was more of...if Orlando were to be seriously considering trading him before the end of the season and him going into free agency...and the Spurs would really want to be in the running for Howard...that would be about the only way (other than a 3 or 4 team trade) it could get done.

Would it be "out there" to point out that both JKidd and J O'Neal spurned us THE SUMMER WE WON THE LoB IN 2003?

If a big FA were ever going to come, that would have been the time. I have a question for you. What was the last time a franchise centerpiece relocated to be the centerpiece of a new franchise, and won the LoB?

TDMVPDPOY
01-29-2012, 10:37 AM
he come here and warm splitters seat

Avitus1
01-29-2012, 12:44 PM
http://troll.me/images/bush/cool-story-bro.jpg

SpurNation
01-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Would it be "out there" to point out that both JKidd and J O'Neal spurned us THE SUMMER WE WON THE LoB IN 2003?

If a big FA were ever going to come, that would have been the time. I have a question for you. What was the last time a franchise centerpiece relocated to be the centerpiece of a new franchise, and won the LoB?

You would be absolutely correct. In fact there have been a lot of "big time" players to as you say...which "spurned" the team.

The Spurs have not been the best at getting "free agent" players to join. Reasons not fully known. But the organization has been fairly successful at making deals with other organizations to get talent. So much so...I see their best bet in getting talent is via trade.

But there's also a question to your adequate question..."What was the last time a franchise centerpiece relocated to be the centerpiece of a new franchise, and won the LoB?"...When's the last time a team were able to get some of the best role and lead players to join a team that didn't have a "centerpiece" player?

A player like Howard (or some other "premier" player) doesn't necessarily guarantee top players to joining a team upon free will because that player is on the team...but it goes a lot further than not having one.

smrattler
01-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Are we going to go from a starting 6'7" center and no shotblocking to Dwight Howard?

No.

Wild Cobra Kai
01-29-2012, 04:08 PM
You would be absolutely correct. In fact there have been a lot of "big time" players to as you say...which "spurned" the team.

The Spurs have not been the best at getting "free agent" players to join. Reasons not fully known. But the organization has been fairly successful at making deals with other organizations to get talent. So much so...I see their best bet in getting talent is via trade.

But there's also a question to your adequate question..."What was the last time a franchise centerpiece relocated to be the centerpiece of a new franchise, and won the LoB?"...When's the last time a team were able to get some of the best role and lead players to join a team that didn't have a "centerpiece" player?

A player like Howard (or some other "premier" player) doesn't necessarily guarantee top players to joining a team upon free will because that player is on the team...but it goes a lot further than not having one.

The answer to the question was Shaquille O'Neal, and it will be SIXTEEN years ago this summer. You don't build around "marquee" FAs and win LoBs. There is only one recipe for that: start at the bottom and build through the draft. Look at the title teams from the last 25 years. With the noted exception of the Laker Shaq/Kobe 3 peat, none of them were built around a major FA acquisition.

tmtcsc
01-29-2012, 05:30 PM
If Orlando doesn't cave to Dwight's trade demands, I don't think he'll leave when he's a FA. He's playing a game of chicken with Orlando and they are going to call his bluff.

The Magic are the only team that can pay him an extra 30 Million dollars if I'm not mistaken. That is, unless they trade him. If he walks as a FA, he stands to lose lots.

If any of what I just wrote is wrong, please let me know.

tmtcsc
01-29-2012, 05:33 PM
The answer to the question was Shaquille O'Neal, and it will be SIXTEEN years ago this summer. You don't build around "marquee" FAs and win LoBs. There is only one recipe for that: start at the bottom and build through the draft. Look at the title teams from the last 25 years. With the noted exception of the Laker Shaq/Kobe 3 peat, none of them were built around a major FA acquisition.

Tyson Chandler begs to differ, as do Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen.

maverick1948
01-29-2012, 06:06 PM
What does DH12 want? Money? 83 million already in his pocket. Bright lights-big city? New Jersey is the only team that can give him that. Does he want a ring? I see 2 places that have the money to pay him and the team in hand under contract to get there. Houston and San Antonio. My comment is based on the Hoopsworld salary lists. If he wants money, stay in Orlando. Other teams have to clear cap space before they can even talk to him. When they do that they have nothing to show him they want to win. Houston and San Antonio can both pay and have the players on the roster to become NBA champions.

Do we have a chance? If he wants a ring, we have a major shot at him coming here. If he wants money, Orlando is the place.

I can just picture a front line of DH12 and Tiago with Timmy coming off the bench. Would that be great?

maverick1948
01-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Howard + Turkoglu for Ginobili, Blair, RJ & picks.

Do it Mitch.
:lol

SpurNation
01-29-2012, 07:21 PM

You answered your question. Now answer mine.

I'm just looking at an avenue that may not subject this team to as you said...."There is only one recipe for that: start at the bottom and build through the draft."

Quite frankly, the Spurs have already been building through the draft the past 3 years. It's just not the "marquee players" they've been acquiring but good to solid role players.

It'll still take a "premier" player to be realistically competitive for a title.

Wild Cobra Kai
01-29-2012, 07:28 PM
You answered your question. Now answer mine.

I'm just looking at an avenue that may not subject this team to as you said...."There is only one recipe for that: start at the bottom and build through the draft."

Quite frankly, the Spurs have already been building through the draft the past 3 years. It's just not the "marquee players" they've been acquiring but good to solid role players.

It'll still take a "premier" player to be realistically competitive for a title.

Right. Did you miss the part about "start at the bottom"? We won't be elite again until we blow it up rebuild. What we're doing is just marking time and letting Tim go out on his terms.

SpurNation
01-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Right. Did you miss the part about "start at the bottom"? We won't be elite again until we blow it up rebuild. What we're doing is just marking time and letting Tim go out on his terms.

No. I didn't miss that part. I just didn't concur to it. All I did was offer an option to not having to go through with it. Whether it was viable or not I don't know...it was at least an option compared to not trying.

Look...not meaning to be argumentative...but what would your solution be other than just letting the cards fall where they may? Please be one of the few who develop an answer instead of just disagreeing to a post.

maverick1948
01-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Send him a copy of the 4th quarter and OT. Maybe he will consider playing with this bunch. They are better than what he is playing with now.

DAF86
01-29-2012, 10:04 PM
I said not too long ago that the Spurs are a pretty sexy choice on the field for Howard, too bad that from what I hear around here San Antonio doesn't seem to be a pretty nice place to live.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Tyson Chandler begs to differ, as do Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen.

Um no. Garnett and Allen were trades, Bos stockpiled lottery picks and talent for years before having the chips to pull off these two trades.

Chandler was a trade as well. Dampier had an unbelievably valuable huge non guaranteed contract.

CGD
01-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Well Spurs would be among the teams with cap space if he goes to FA, especially if we amnesty RJ -- under the new rule salary wouldn't count against the cap unlike the last round of amnesty where teams had to keep salary on the books but saved on luxury tax.

Dallas and Boston are in a similar situations, but they have more players they have to think about re-signing whereas we have only really have TD (Dallas = Terry, Guaranteeing Odom; Boston = Allen, KG).

I still think he'll get traded before March 15th, but after the All-star game in Orlando.

acoelho1
01-30-2012, 11:40 AM
There is absolutely zero chance that he comes here. Every team wants him so why would he choose SA over the Lakers or the Bulls for example. It wouldn't make much economic sense to go to a market similar to Orlando. My hunch is he will be with the Lakers or back with the Magic. The Nets have a chance as well since Howard doesn't want to follow in Shaq's footsteps by going to L.A.

Shifty
01-30-2012, 04:22 PM

If the Spurs have a decent run. It might not be that crazy at all. There will be money to offer specially if the Spurs amnesty RJ this summer. Two unselfish star guards (Tony and Manu) locked for a couple of years. At least a couple of young wings. A very good frontcourt, maybe even a great frontcourt if Timmy decides to play an extra year or two (DH12, Timmy, Tiago, Blair and Bonner) and arguably the best coach you can have right now. Suddenly a few vets wanting to come to SA on the cheap again just because you did.

Tony and Joseph
Manu, Neal
Leonard and Green
Timmy, Blair and Bonner
DH12 and Tiago

TJ and Anderson are not under contract for next season.

All this without anything magic happening. The players are already there and there will be money. Someone please talk to Dwight!

Big P
01-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Could Dwight Howard be sold on the Spurs?

No.

maverick1948
01-30-2012, 08:08 PM
There is absolutely zero chance that he comes here. Every team wants him so why would he choose SA over the Lakers or the Bulls for example. It wouldn't make much economic sense to go to a market similar to Orlando. My hunch is he will be with the Lakers or back with the Magic. The Nets have a chance as well since Howard doesn't want to follow in Shaq's footsteps by going to L.A.

Money, that a team has available, will keep him out of LA and Chicago. \]

acoelho1
01-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Not if they do a sign and trade. I'm sure Orlando would want something back for him.

Wild Cobra Kai
01-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Not if they do a sign and trade. I'm sure Orlando would want something back for him.

No. The Lakers have no leverage, because they can't sign him outright. Orlando has NO reason to make that trade.

Brutalis
01-30-2012, 10:46 PM
D12 would never sign with San Antonio.

The only reason why I can even consider why he would is because his favorite player growing up was David Robinson.

NewcastleKEG
01-30-2012, 11:00 PM
You'd have to deal

Parker
Manu
Splitter
Draft Picks
someone else

Obstructed_View
01-30-2012, 11:06 PM
I know he's a talent, and he's good at putting up numbers, but he seems increasingly like a malcontent who doesn't show up when the going gets tough. I'd rather have a good group of role players sharing the load than having to rely on Howard to come through.

Spursfan092120
01-31-2012, 12:16 AM
You'd have to deal

Parker
Manu
Splitter
Draft Picks
someone else

Tell me you're joking...an NBA Finals MVP, a guy who should have been an NBA Finals MVP, a young big with a lot of potential, draft picks, and another player for a guy who doesn't even want to be there? You need medication. Orlando's going to have almost dump him or he'll leave after this year and they'll get nothing.

Spursfan092120
01-31-2012, 12:17 AM
I know he's a talent, and he's good at putting up numbers, but he seems increasingly like a malcontent who doesn't show up when the going gets tough. I'd rather have a good group of role players sharing the load than having to rely on Howard to come through.

This... x100

DAF86
01-31-2012, 12:21 AM
You'd have to deal

Parker
Manu
Splitter
Draft Picks
someone else

It makes no sense for the Spurs to trade for him. The offseason is where the Spurs could be a dark horse in the Howard hunt.

Phenomanul
01-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Tell me you're joking...an NBA Finals MVP, a guy who should have been an NBA Finals MVP, a young big with a lot of potential, draft picks, and another player for a guy who doesn't even want to be there? You need medication. Orlando's going to have almost dump him or he'll leave after this year and they'll get nothing.

We still need a work-horse that boosts the defensive tonality in the post...

Dwight
Timmy
and Tiago

would be pretty difficult to score on them...

Phenomanul
01-31-2012, 12:10 PM
It makes no sense for the Spurs to trade for him. The offseason is where the Spurs could be a dark horse in the Howard hunt.

This.

That's the only scenario where the Spurs would even be a player in the Dwight Sweepstakes...

Bruno
01-31-2012, 01:33 PM
If the Spurs have a decent run. It might not be that crazy at all. There will be money to offer specially if the Spurs amnesty RJ this summer. Two unselfish star guards (Tony and Manu) locked for a couple of years. At least a couple of young wings. A very good frontcourt, maybe even a great frontcourt if Timmy decides to play an extra year or two (DH12, Timmy, Tiago, Blair and Bonner) and arguably the best coach you can have right now.

That's the idea.
Spurs can offer Howard a max contract, a great coach and a great supporting cast. Maybe it won't be enough is Howard wants to go to a big market but that's still a lot.

If Howard hit FA this summer, Pop should at least called him and if he is receptive, have a meeting with him.

CGD
01-31-2012, 01:52 PM
If Orlando don't trade Howard by the March 15th Deadline, has the organization essentially lost its best chance to move him? Is there a period where they could still trade him this summer, or would Orlando have to hope Howard agrees to a sign and trade?

cheguevara
01-31-2012, 02:03 PM
:lmao @ this thread

CB-KdwpJSVA

scottspurs
01-31-2012, 02:06 PM
haha no

Nego
01-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Why not? Stop trying to kill peoples wild dreams.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-31-2012, 05:31 PM
I don't know how I missed this thread the last time I looked at the Spurs forum, but from the index page it just says, "Could Dwight Howard be sold", and I came in here thinking the racist schtick had really gotten out of hand.

As for this summer, I guess the Spurs have a puncher's chance.

silverblackfan
01-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Never really considered it possible, until this thread. I suspect he will be trying really hard to get near LA or NY, but who knows?

Rick Von Braun
02-01-2012, 05:08 AM
That's the idea.
Spurs can offer Howard a max contract, a great coach and a great supporting cast. Maybe it won't be enough is Howard wants to go to a big market but that's still a lot.

If Howard hit FA this summer, Pop should at least called him and if he is receptive, have a meeting with him.

Imagine for a second that Manu comes back, the Spurs start clicking on all cylinders and they win the championship (their 2nd asterisk). This is wishful thinking and low probability, but assume for a second that it happens.

Under these conditions, do you think the Spurs may entice DH to join them? If you would put a percentage to your prediction, what is the probability of getting him?

Just curious.

My take: even if the Spurs win a Championship, even if they exercise the amnesty clause on RJ, even if Duncan takes less money to create a max contract cap space for DH, he will not come to the Spurs. He'll be interested in Chicago, LA, NY and not much else.

z0sa
02-01-2012, 05:21 AM
Spurs can offer Howard a max contract, a great coach and a great supporting cast.

:jack

mystargtr34
02-01-2012, 06:52 AM
If the Spurs land Howard they become instant contenders for the next 10 years. I can live with him being a bit of a whiny bitch for that. Its obviously not going to happen though.

100%duncan
02-01-2012, 07:19 AM
lol

Bruno
02-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Under these conditions, do you think the Spurs may entice DH to join them? If you would put a percentage to your prediction, what is the probability of getting him?

It depends on what is Howard priority:
- If he wants to win a championship, Spurs have a legit shot at getting him. Let's say 20%.
- If he wants to make the most money through endorsement, Spurs won't get him.

He'll be interested in Chicago, LA, NY and not much else.

The problem is that most of the big market teams don't have the cap space to sign him. It would take some kind of sign&trade for them to get him and it's way more complicate to do than just signing a free agent.

xzman
02-01-2012, 08:36 AM
No Chance he wants to win a championship. Do you think that Spurs could in amyway defeat the Miami Heat in the Finals?

kskonn
02-01-2012, 12:49 PM
It depends on what is Howard priority:

The problem is that most of the big market teams don't have the cap space to sign him. It would take some kind of sign&trade for them to get him and it's way more complicate to do than just signing a free agent.

Yea this--- Only way he gets to a big market team is either a sign and trade or taking a lot less money on his contract. I am fairly certain that is why he demanded the trade. If he could out right sign with them he would just have waited to become a free agent. Should be interesting to see if Orlando gives him up before the deadline for a steal or rides it out the end like they did with Shaq.

Mel_13
02-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Yea this--- Only way he gets to a big market team is either a sign and trade or taking a lot less money on his contract. I am fairly certain that is why he demanded the trade. If he could out right sign with them he would just have waited to become a free agent. Should be interesting to see if Orlando gives him up before the deadline for a steal or rides it out the end like they did with Shaq.

Two of the three teams on his list, New Jersey and Dallas, will both be able to offer a max deal.

He wants the trade so he can sign a 5 year deal with largest possible annual raises. If he leaves Orlando in the summer and signs elsewhere, he has to take a 4 year deal with smaller annual raises.

Spursone
02-01-2012, 01:26 PM
:lmaoThe use of drugs before posting is NOT authtorized.

CGD
02-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Two of the three teams on his list, New Jersey and Dallas, will both be able to offer a max deal.

Looking at the numbers, Dallas would have to severely gut its team in order to sign him in free agency, including not signing JT or guaranteeing Lamar & Carter's contracts. Obviously Kidd wouldn't be brought back either. They may choose to save some money by amnestying Haywood's contract, but Dirk is already being paid top dollar.

I think what Dallas really wants is for Howard to be traded to anywhere but the Nets, so then they can target J. Will.