PDA

View Full Version : NBA's Top 75 players of all time

ChrisRichards
01-29-2012, 11:53 AM
The NBA will most likely honor their 75th Anniversary and add an additional 25 players on top of the existing 50.

These players will most definitely make the cut:

Kobe
Duncan
Nowitzki
S. Nash
Reggie Miller
Dominique Wilkins
Alex English
Kevin Garnett
Lebron James
D. Wade
Jason Kidd
Dikembe Mutombo
Alonzo Mourning
Ben Wallace
Gary Payton
Dennis Rodman
Yao Ming
Dwight Howard
Derrick Rose
Allen Iverson

That's already 20 which only leaves them 5 more players to complete the list. I went though a list of possible candidates and its amazing how much talent is going to get snubbed.

Deron Williams
Chris Webber
Chris Paul
Blake Griffin
Amar'e Stoudemire
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Durant
Shawn Kemp
Vince Carter
Manu Ginobili
Pau Gasol
Paul Pierce
D. Schrempf
Ray Allen
Kevin Johnson
Mark Price
Dale Ellis
C. Billups
John Wall
Danny Granger
Chris Bosh
R. Rondo
Rudy Gay
Mugsy Bogues
Kevin Love
Glen Rice
Mitch Richmond
Tim Hardwaway
Chris Mullin
Lamarcus Aldridge
Andrew Bynum
Al Horford
Russell Westbrook

Who makes your final 5?

Leetonidas
01-29-2012, 11:56 AM
Not sure about Yao, Mutumbo, or Wallace. Great players but I don't know if they're top 75 all-time

MR.SILVER&BLack
01-29-2012, 11:58 AM
didnt they already do the next 10?

FkLA
01-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Not sure about Yao, Mutumbo, or Wallace. Great players but I don't know if they're top 75 all-time

This. Id replace them with Pierce, Ray, and Gasol. Id also add Tmac and VC to that first list. Some of the names on that second list (Westbrook, Granger, Bogues, Wall, etc) are laughable too tbh.

ChrisRichards
01-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Mutombo will definitely get in. Multiple NBA DPOY and a true ambassador of the game. His finger wagging was a huge part of the NBA culture in the 90's. Yao Ming did a lot more for the game of basketball or for the NBA as a whole than Paul Pierce, Ray Allen or Gasol. You guys forgot how big Yao Ming was a few years ago he will definitely get in.

Wallace, well he's questionable thats for sure.

ChrisRichards
01-29-2012, 12:14 PM
This. Id replace them with Pierce, Ray, and Gasol. Id also add Tmac and VC to that first list. Some of the names on that second list (Westbrook, Granger, Bogues, Wall, etc) are laughable too tbh.
Westbrook and Wall are pretty young they may eventually become perennial All Stars, who knows. Bogues was added in the list because I like him that movie Space Jam.

baseline bum
01-29-2012, 12:17 PM
Dwight Howard
Alonzo Mourning
Dikembe Mutombo
Tim Duncan
Dirk Nowitzki
Kevin Garnett
Chris Webber
Dennis Rodman
Pao Gasol
LeBron James
Paul Pierce
Dominique Wilkins
Kevin Durant
Kobe Bryant
Allen Iverson
Ray Allen
Dwyane Wade
Reggie Miller
Tracy McGrady
Manu Ginobili
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Chris Paul
Gary Payton
Tim Hardaway

baseline bum
01-29-2012, 12:19 PM
Hate leaving KJ and Oakley off that list (2 of my fav players from the 90s), but I don't see anyone who gets squeezed off that list for them.

ChrisRichards
01-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Dwight Howard
Alonzo Mourning
Dikembe Mutombo
Tim Duncan
Dirk Nowitzki
Kevin Garnett
Chris Webber
Dennis Rodman
Pao Gasol
LeBron James
Paul Pierce
Dominique Wilkins
Kevin Durant
Kobe Bryant
Allen Iverson
Ray Allen
Dwyane Wade
Reggie Miller
Tracy McGrady
Manu Ginobili
Jason Kidd
Steve Nash
Chris Paul
Gary Payton
Tim Hardaway

?

I'd rather put Wince Carter or even Charles Oakley over Tracy McGrady tbh.

ChrisRichards
01-29-2012, 12:24 PM
Is Joe Dumars on the orginal top 50 list?

baseline bum
01-29-2012, 12:25 PM
Carter had more playoff success, but then he never played with supporting casts as bad as McGrady's in Orlando. His supporting cast in Houston was shit too whenever Chinese Walton was broken.

baseline bum
01-29-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm not seeing English on that list either; his numbers were a product of the system in Denver.

pookenstein
01-29-2012, 12:53 PM
Derrick Rose over guys like Durant, CP3 or D-Will? Come on. How long is he in the league? 3 years and and already Top 75?
No way.

Giuseppe
01-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Remember the shit fit people had when they included Daddy in the first 50?

Muser
01-29-2012, 01:01 PM
Ben Wallace? 4 Time DPOY has to hold some merit.

FkLA
01-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Remember the shit fit people had when they included Daddy in the first 50?

No. Tell us youngins alittle bit about it, Cubster. :(

Mal
01-29-2012, 01:08 PM
Manu Ginobiili is sure thing. I put him over Rose, Yao, Payton, Mutombo.

Giuseppe
01-29-2012, 01:18 PM
No. Tell us youngins alittle bit about it, Cubster. :(

Well, it was before Media turned into the bagmen they are today so it was keen. But, his preemptive placement on it proved to pass muster.

jag
01-29-2012, 01:36 PM
That list is pathetic as fuck. What an insult to have guys like:
Wade
Chris Paul
LeBron
Durant
Derrick Rose

listed next to players like:

Duncan
Kobe
Nowitzki
Garnett
Reggie Miller
Iverson
Kidd
and even Nash

MattBonnerExperience
01-29-2012, 01:39 PM
John Wall
Danny Granger
Chris Bosh
Rudy Gay
Lamarcus Aldridge
Andrew Bynum
Al Horford
Russell Westbrook

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao :lmao:lmao

Giuseppe
01-29-2012, 01:41 PM
What's sad & alarming is that after 75 years there aren't at least 150, must less 75 that don't have to be debated nary a second.

Dunc n Dave
01-29-2012, 01:48 PM
lol @ Bynum being on the list of "candidates" Has he even made ONE All Star team yet?

jag
01-29-2012, 01:48 PM
What's sad & alarming is that after 75 years there aren't at least 150, must less 75 that don't have to be debated nary a second.

It's just a bunch of names of guys who were on all-star teams. Very few winners on there. What's strange is that I saw LeBron listed multiple times... and I only saw Carmelo listed once. What the hell is different between Melo and Lebron? Neither one can lead a team; neither one has won shit. If we're just listing guys who put up points as the #1 option on their team then we could add names to that list for days.

Proxy
01-29-2012, 02:02 PM

Skill/career-wise... Yao shouldn't make it. Impact-wise, yes he should. I do love the guy and feel bad for the way his career went. He would have been good enough if we pay the 'what if' game.

Dikembe... I agree. HoF, but not top 75 all-time.

Wallace is on the border. If defense was as glorified as offense, then definitely. He was the heart and soul of the great Pistons teams of this generation after all. It's hard to say... would you say Dirk and Ben are opposites? If one has the efficiency that the other produces on the opposite side of the floor, then Ben deserves it... the way I look at it, but I do understand that being good on defense isn't as direct as offense in the sense of impact, and stats don't show intangibles.

Proxy
01-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Wade
Chris Paul
LeBron
Durant
Derrick Rose

Duncan
Kobe
Nowitzki
Garnett
Reggie Miller
Iverson
Kidd
and even Nash

I agree. Keep the list at 50. Players should just get bumped out for the newcomers. Top 50 is an honor. Expanding the number of members cheapens it all.

Juggity
01-29-2012, 02:11 PM
It's just a bunch of names of guys who were on all-star teams. Very few winners on there. What's strange is that I saw LeBron listed multiple times... and I only saw Carmelo listed once. What the hell is different between Melo and Lebron? Neither one can lead a team; neither one has won shit. If we're just listing guys who put up points as the #1 option on their team then we could add names to that list for days.

Well, I'd say the difference is that Lebron led his team to the finals twice. Carmelo's never been past WCF. True, neither's won the ultimate prize, but that will probably change in the near future.

Proxy
01-29-2012, 02:24 PM
Well, I'd say the difference is that Lebron led his team to the finals twice. Carmelo's never been past WCF. True, neither's won the ultimate prize, but that will probably change in the near future.

And what... Carmelo would win too if you replaced him with Lebron on Miami... not saying he's as good. You could aslo say the West was way more competitive than the East at the time of Cleveland's journey to the finals, which can be justified by the sweep by the Spurs. Just trying to point out that there's a lot of grey area in defining the meaning of the Heat's inevitable glory in comparison to past championship team's victories.

If Carmelo hypothetically led this current Knicks team to win it all, it would boost him higher than when Lebron wins on the current all-star team in Miami. I would give Wade to Lebron winning the FMVP a 60-40 chance in favor of Wade as well. James is the second option after all... which is weird because Lebron has more talent than Wade.... this all being said, Lebron seems like such a confusing player to rank. He has control of his own life so I don't judge his decision (though he is a douchebag as a person), but joining Miami almost (emphasis on almost) erases the success he had in Cleveland as the main man, so I can see where people come from when they wonder aloud why there should be such a gap between Lebron and Melo... or I can throw this out there too... Lebron and Iverson.

Ashy Larry
01-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Alex English is on that list for sure ..... no questions. 25,000 points and a Hall of Fame member should get you on the 75 list. If it doesn't, that list is booty. Hell, surprised Dominique wasn't on the top 50 and Shaquille was after 4 years.

Brazil
01-29-2012, 03:50 PM
John Wall ? wtf ?

DMC
01-29-2012, 03:51 PM
Deron Williams
Chris Webber
Chris Paul
Blake Griffin
Amar'e Stoudemire
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Durant
Shawn Kemp
Vince Carter
Manu Ginobili
Pau Gasol
Paul Pierce
D. Schrempf
Ray Allen
Kevin Johnson
Mark Price
Dale Ellis
C. Billups
John Wall
Danny Granger
Chris Bosh
R. Rondo
Rudy Gay
Mugsy Bogues
Kevin Love
Glen Rice
Mitch Richmond
Tim Hardwaway
Chris Mullin
Lamarcus Aldridge
Andrew Bynum
Al Horford
Russell Westbrook

There's no one in that list that I would consider in the top 75 all time.

Manu has 3 rings and other titles around the world, but for the NBA, he probably doesn't make the top 75 due to health reasons.

No one else, certainly no active player, comes close except Ray Allen. They're great players, but most haven't done shit yet.

John Wall doesn't even belong on the list unless you want to also include Kyrie Irving.

pass1st
01-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Deron Williams
Chris Webber
Chris Paul
Blake Griffin
Amar'e Stoudemire
Carmelo Anthony
Kevin Durant
Shawn Kemp
Vince Carter
Manu Ginobili
Pau Gasol
Paul Pierce
D. Schrempf
Ray Allen
Kevin Johnson
Mark Price
Dale Ellis
C. Billups
John Wall
Danny Granger
Chris Bosh
R. Rondo
Rudy Gay
Mugsy Bogues
Kevin Love
Glen Rice
Mitch Richmond
Tim Hardwaway
Chris Mullin
Lamarcus Aldridge
Andrew Bynum
Al Horford
Russell Westbrook

There's no one in that list that I would consider in the top 75 all time.

Manu has 3 rings and other titles around the world, but for the NBA, he probably doesn't make the top 75 due to health reasons.

No one else, certainly no active player, comes close except Ray Allen. They're great players, but most haven't done shit yet.

John Wall doesn't even belong on the list unless you want to also include Kyrie Irving.

Ray Allen is the best 3pt shooter in NBA history, I think he deserves a spot

DMC
01-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Ray Allen is the best 3pt shooter in NBA history, I think he deserves a spot
He's hit the most 3s, but that doesn't make him the best 3pt shooter just as the person with the most FTs made doesn't make him the best FT shooter.

Kerr has the highest percentage for a career, I believe, and won a 3pt shooting contest as well. No doubt Ray is a great 3pt shooter, but I wouldn't call him the best 3pt shooter in history.

Killakobe81
01-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Nique should be in doubt about it ...one of the biggest snubs of the first 50

Giuseppe
01-29-2012, 04:14 PM
Did McAdoo make that first 50?

pass1st
01-29-2012, 04:14 PM
He's hit the most 3s, but that doesn't make him the best 3pt shooter just as the person with the most FTs made doesn't make him the best FT shooter.

Kerr has the highest percentage for a career, I believe, and won a 3pt shooting contest as well. No doubt Ray is a great 3pt shooter, but I wouldn't call him the best 3pt shooter in history.

He also shares the record most 3s in a playoff game, making them when it counts. Made the most 3s in his career well above anybody else, he surpassed Miller quickly. Staying around 40% and volume shooting 3s is quite an achievement. If you don't consider him the best 3pt shooter, you have to at least consider him the most proven 3pt shooter.

baseline bum
01-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Nique should be in doubt about it ...one of the biggest snubs of the first 50

^ Shit happens when you put an overrated honky like Mikan on the list.

Killakobe81
01-29-2012, 04:16 PM
^ Shit happens when you put an overrated honky like Mikan on the list.

True but Mikan dominated his era you have to respect that.

jjktkk
01-29-2012, 04:18 PM
John Wall ? wtf ?

DMC
01-29-2012, 04:19 PM
He also shares the record most 3s in a playoff game, making them when it counts. Made the most 3s in his career well above anybody else, he surpassed Miller quickly. Staying around 40% and volume shooting 3s is quite an achievement. If you don't consider him the best 3pt shooter, you have to at least consider him the most proven 3pt shooter.
There just seems to be a double standard when considering "best" for these things.

No one considers the person with the most FT makes as the best FT shooter.

Reggie is a volume 3pt shooter and was the 1st option much of the time. Kerr wasn't nearly as contested as Reggie or Ray, and shot a much higher percentage career wise.

If I had to have a 3 to win, I would take Reggie over any of them, Ray second, and Kerr somewhere down the line, because they would be guarded and contested shots.

HarlemHeat37
01-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Wade
Chris Paul
LeBron
Durant
Derrick Rose

Duncan
Kobe
Nowitzki
Garnett
Reggie Miller
Iverson
Kidd
and even Nash

:lol Lebron and Wade are more decorated, and better players, than Reggie Miller, Iverson, Kidd and Nash:lol..

Comparing Carmelp Anthony to Lebron is foolish, too..I hope you're being sarcastic, or you're an idiot, tbh..

Proxy
01-29-2012, 05:27 PM

Are you trolling? I hope so. How does it make sense to compare a bench player to Ray Allen?

Latarian Milton
01-30-2012, 06:31 AM
?

I'd rather put Wince Carter or even Charles Oakley over Tracy McGrady tbh.

in fact all the 3 n!ggas you mentioned are better deserved than the 7ft6-tall yellow clump of shit tbh