PDA

View Full Version : Ben Wallace @ Shooting Guard

sickdsm
06-19-2005, 09:42 AM
"The claim leaves anyone who hears it laughing in disbelief. But Ben Wallace insists he started at shooting guard for the Celtics' Summer League entry more than a decade ago. During these NBA Finals, he has mentioned the ill-fated conversion to Boston swingman more than once. Considering the career as an undersized All-Star center that followed, each recounting brings out an understandable amount of pride." Boston Globe

''They told me I was too small to play power forward or center in this league, so I had to play the 2 or small forward," said Wallace, who's charitably listed at 6 feet 9 inches. ''I thought they were crazy. But I was, like, 'No problem.' I was the starting 2-guard on their Summer League team. I wasn't a big shooter, but still nobody could stay in front of me." Boston Globe

''Shooting guard?" said Carr. ''No way, not at 6-9. He didn't have a shot. He never played the 2. We put him with the big guys in the summer league, some threes and fours. He could guard anybody out on the floor, so we had him at small forward and power forward. ''Tell Ben I don't have amnesia. And if anybody tells you they saw [then] what he's become now, tell them to take a lie detector test." Boston Globe

''I was a little concerned because my first workout with Boston, I'm pretty sure everybody knows, I played the 2-3 [swingman spot]," said Wallace. ''Coming to Washington, they said they were looking for a center. They brought me in as a center and the rest has been history." Boston Globe

Crafty One
06-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Wow thats scary....