PDA

View Full Version : LeBron James should win DPOY

DeadlyDynasty
01-29-2012, 06:29 PM
He's a bitch to score on when he focuses on defense--which he has since 2009. Excellent help defender too. I know the award traditionally goes to big men, but he deserves it this year.

Furthermore, I think he can go down as the best one-on-one defender to ever play the game. He has all the tools and can guard 3 (sometimes 4) positions.

Giuseppe
01-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Though he has a terminal case of peanut for a brain.

HarlemHeat37
01-29-2012, 06:31 PM
He should have won it last year, tbh..

He shut down many perimeter stars, he anchored an elite D that had a Bosh/Anthony frontcourt, all while exerting the most energy on offense..

Defensive accolades are usually given to undeserving players, Howard will probably win it again, by default..

DPG21920
01-29-2012, 06:31 PM
He doesn't deserve credit for his defense because he's really athletic and great. He's supposed to win DPOY, it's not something to celebrate.

DPG21920
01-29-2012, 06:34 PM
DD, is being an elite defensive player and being able to lock down MVP Rose something that is special or because he's a gifted athlete is it just meh and nothing to really be impressed about?

DMC
01-29-2012, 06:35 PM
I will start being impressed with Lebron more than I already am when he wins a ring. Not before.

Killakobe81
01-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Like i have said many times before dude has the tools in his box to be GOAT.

endrity
01-29-2012, 06:39 PM
They said he would take Dirk, ended up a couple of times on him and Dirk faked the shit out of him.

Then JET proceeded to kill him in Games 5 and 6. Don't mistake the defense he plays on no-jumper Rose as DPOY level defense. Tony Allen, Deng, Matrix are all superior perimeter defenders.

Killakobe81
01-29-2012, 06:40 PM
They said he would take Dirk, ended up a couple of times on him and Dirk faked the shit out of him.

Then JET proceeded to kill him in Games 5 and 6. Don't mistake the defense he plays on no-jumper Rose as DPOY level defense. Tony Allen, Deng, Matrix are all superior perimeter defenders.

Not sure I agree ...but interesting take.

DeadlyDynasty
DD, is being an elite defensive player and being able to lock down MVP Rose something that is special or because he's a gifted athlete is it just meh and nothing to really be impressed about?

Like Harlem said, it's special, especially considering the energy expended on the offensive end. To carry a team offensively all game then have enough stamina and skill to lockdown a lightning quick PG in the 4th quarter is amazing.

Vince Carter was tremendously gifted athletically, but he was always a shitty defender. Since 2009--when LBJ seriously applied himself defensively--he's been a suffocating force on D.

pass1st
Only if he wins choker of the year as well

DeadlyDynasty
01-29-2012, 06:41 PM

That was good, tell me another one:lol

DPG21920
01-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Like Harlem said, it's special, especially considering the energy expended on the offensive end. To carry a team offensively all game then have enough stamina and skill to lockdown a lightning quick PG in the 4th quarter is amazing.

Vince Carter was tremendously gifted athletically, but he was always a shitty defender. Since 2009--when LBJ seriously applied himself defensively--he's been a suffocating force on D.

So then Jags argument that it's really not special because Lebron is athletic and 5 inches taller so he should be able to shut down Rose is silly to you? I just want to see if I'm off base here...

pass1st
01-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Like to see LBJ shut down somebody who isn't completely overrated, tbh

DeadlyDynasty
01-29-2012, 06:47 PM
So then Jags argument that it's really not special because Lebron is athletic and 5 inches taller so he should be able to shut down Rose is silly to you? I just want to see if I'm off base here...

I'm not going to play mediator to your arguments.:lol

Yes, James has all the physical tools, but the ability to play lockdown defense on 3 (or 4) positions while simultaneously carrying the load offensively is nothing short of amazing. Throw in his second-to-none fast-break defense and he's DPOY, imho.

DPG21920
01-29-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks, DD. I knew I was right, but just wanted to be sure. HH said I was right as well, but I wanted 2nd opinion to take back to Jag as well.

endrity
01-29-2012, 06:49 PM

It's impressive no doubt.

But his athleticism and Rose's lack of a reliable jumper plays a lot into it. He can give him a step or two of space due to that and then recover due to his athleticism.

There's a reason Terry tore him apart in the last two games of the Finals, once JET had his jumper on than LeBron had to come much closer to defend him and Terry could then really use his superior quickness to get past him.

But still he's a great defensive player. He's not however better than the other top defenders in this league, especially the names I mentioned.

DeadlyDynasty
01-29-2012, 06:58 PM
It's impressive no doubt.

But his athleticism and Rose's lack of a reliable jumper plays a lot into it. He can give him a step or two of space due to that and then recover due to his athleticism.

There's a reason Terry tore him apart in the last two games of the Finals, once JET had his jumper on than LeBron had to come much closer to defend him and Terry could then really use his superior quickness to get past him.

But still he's a great defensive player. He's not however better than the other top defenders in this league, especially the names I mentioned.

tbh it's hard to really judge him based on one bad series. His poor defense on Terry was more a mental thing than a physical thing. LeBron just wasn't right, and it affected all parts of his game. The key moment when I realized he was mind-fucked was in Game 5 when he refused to be aggressive with Jason Kidd guarding him at the end.

Iguodala, Paul Pierce, and Derrick Rose all had hellish games--and Terry did for the most part for the first 3 games.

lol at taking Deng over LBJ on defense though:lol Bron shat all over him last year. I think the only perimeter defender who has a case is Tony Allen.

HarlemHeat37
01-29-2012, 06:58 PM
:lol Tony Allen and Shawn Marion have virtually no offensive responsibility..

Also, even defensively, none of those guys(Deng included) have to anchor a D, like Lebron, they're mostly counted on for individual defense..

Lebron is a better anchor, than an individual defender..

Leetonidas
01-29-2012, 06:59 PM
He should have won it last year, tbh..

He shut down many perimeter stars, he anchored an elite D that had a Bosh/Anthony frontcourt, all while exerting the most energy on offense..

Defensive accolades are usually given to undeserving players, Howard will probably win it again, by default..

Iguodala was a better defender last season the LeBron

ChrisRichards
01-29-2012, 07:02 PM
Lebrons defense the past 3 years reminds me of Jordan's in 89-93 and Kobe in 2000-2003, amazing.

ChrisRichards
01-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Iguodala was a better defender last season the LeBron
He really isn't. Iguodala is a solid defender but I feel a lot of people overrate him in that area. Iggy can never stop a guy like Rose.

endrity
01-29-2012, 07:05 PM
tbh it's hard to really judge him based on one bad series. His poor defense on Terry was more a mental thing than a physical thing. LeBron just wasn't right, and it affected all parts of his game. The key moment when I realized he was mind-fucked was in Game 5 when he refused to be aggressive with Jason Kidd guarding him at the end.

Iguodala, Paul Pierce, and Derrick Rose all had hellish games--and Terry did for the most part for the first 3 games.

lol at taking Deng of LBJ on defense though:lol LBJ shat all over him last year. I think the only perimeter defender who has a case is Tony Allen.

Maybe it was mental, maybe not. But then he has to show he can do it against really good shooters as well like a Chris Paul for example (since we are talking about his defense on much quicker guys).

On Deng, yes LBJ eventually won that duel, but that's no knock on Deng. One on one, without much help Deng played arguably the best defense anyone had played up to that point on LeBron. I don't know if LeBron could defend himself any better than that.
You really underrate Marion and the job he did last year and has done this year as well. He kept Kobe 0-10 when he was matched against him last time they played.
Tony Allen is just a beast defensively.

Just saying, there are some perimeter defenders out there that are very good as well. It might not be as impressive since they don't play as much offense as LeBron does, but simply on defensive skills I think these guys are a bit better.

DeadlyDynasty
01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
Maybe it was mental, maybe not. But then he has to show he can do it against really good shooters as well like a Chris Paul for example (since we are talking about his defense on much quicker guys).

On Deng, yes LBJ eventually won that duel, but that's no knock on Deng. One on one, without much help Deng played arguably the best defense anyone had played up to that point on LeBron. I don't know if LeBron could defend himself any better than that.
You really underrate Marion and the job he did last year and has done this year as well. He kept Kobe 0-10 when he was matched against him last time they played.
Tony Allen is just a beast defensively.

Just saying, there are some perimeter defenders out there that are very good as well. It might not be as impressive since they don't play as much offense as LeBron does, but simply on defensive skills I think these guys are a bit better.

Marion and Deng aren't nearly the defenders Bron is in help D. LBJ is the whole package defensively (and offensively).

DeadlyDynasty
01-29-2012, 07:33 PM
If he's so good then why didn't he step up and defend Dirk when the going got tough? James is good at everything until the pressure is on. Also, he's not half the defender GP was, and is not the best in the league today.

You're ragging on him because he couldn't shutdown a 7-foot Larry Bird?

What other player in the league right now can lockdown 3 (sometimes 4) positions, play excellent help d, and shutdown fastbreaks like he can?

Cry Havoc
01-29-2012, 07:33 PM
I didn't know that DPOY was not given to players because they were "natural athletes". In fact, I've never heard, "well he's SO athletic so obviously he should be a good player" ever used in the context of detracting from an NBA player's ability. Wtf? He's somehow less of a great defensive player because he's an athlete?

If that's the case, Duncan should have won DPOY every single year since he entered the league.