PDA

View Full Version : Do the Mavs have the potential to be better than last year?..

HarlemHeat37
01-29-2012, 08:17 PM
The absence of Chandler is severe, but they have the potential to be better than they were last year, IMO..

If Dirk rounds into form, Odom continues to show more motivation, and VC stays healthy, they could be better than last year IMO..

Beaubois is a better version of Barea, West is better than Stevenson(IMO), and Mahinmi has shown improvement and growth..

Is there any chance they could be better than last year?..

Killakobe81
01-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Doubt it, but the quality of the depth appears better ...

Stalin
01-29-2012, 08:26 PM
indeed, they can

mavs>spurs
01-29-2012, 08:27 PM
It all hinges on dirk. Can dirk return to last years form? Or will he continue to struggle and fall victim to TOSB. That's the only question, and the only thing keeping us from a repeat quite frankly.

MI21
01-29-2012, 08:27 PM
If Dirk can recapture his form, then why not? They have amazing depth and have fantastic size. They really are a grind it out team, a complete contrast from what they used to be.

Sucks to watch as that is what my beloved boys in black used to be but they have now turned into a shitter version of those soft Mavs.

Proxy
01-29-2012, 08:28 PM
If they stay healthy, why not... but you're reasoning is the case for every team. If the players play good, the team is good.

Bruce Wayne
01-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Cuban took a HUGE gamble by letting Chandler go for the sake of getting Deron and or Howard, but he had no way of knowing Odom would flat out quit and become depressed.

baseline bum
01-29-2012, 08:44 PM
I don't see it. For one, last year's Mavs were easily the best team we have seen since the 08 Celtics. For two, they're an old team and this kind of pace for a season is going to really hurt them later on. For three, Odom looks like shit. For four, Brenda sucks.

pass1st
01-29-2012, 08:48 PM
Asterisk year, anything can happen

Bruce Wayne
01-29-2012, 08:49 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110125062148/uncyclopedia/images/c/ce/Reggie-miller-choke.jpg

MR.SILVER&BLack
01-29-2012, 08:52 PM
Cuban did the smart thing by making a team that would tank in a shit season with a stacked draft.

Arlington Native
01-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Dirk still looks unable to drive. He still doesn't look right.

HarlemHeat37
01-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Dirk needs to look a lot better than he has shown, so far, obviously..he looks atrocious..

Stalin
01-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Dirk still looks unable to drive. He still doesn't look right.

:lol mavfan
:lol in denial
:lol "he's just out of shape"
:lol "he's saving himself for the playoffs"
:lol TOSB Dirk

irishock
01-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Dirk is not the player he was two years ago. He's more of a better shooting form Ryan Anderson imo.

Killakobe81
01-29-2012, 10:06 PM
I don't see it. For one, last year's Mavs were easily the best team we have seen since the 08 Celtics. For two, they're an old team and this kind of pace for a season is going to really hurt them later on. For three, Odom looks like shit. For four, Brenda sucks.

Bum is right the Lakers teams that won backtoback was top heavy ... 11 Mavs and 08 Celts were better. 3peat Lakers shit on this year's Mavs and last years Mavs beat them as well.

DAF86
01-29-2012, 10:12 PM
If you asked previous to last season everybody would have said that:

Roddy or West > Barea
Carter > Stevenson
Odom > Chandler

So yes, in paper they should/could be better. But chemistry/players complementing each other > talent.

pass1st
01-29-2012, 10:15 PM

Roddy or West > Barea
Carter > Stevenson
Odom > Chandler

So yes, in paper they should/could be better. But chemistry/players complementing each other > talent.

Odom > Chandler 1 out of 5 games only

Nathan89
01-29-2012, 10:15 PM
they could be better than last year IMO..

This is grounds for being on the worst posters of the month list, IMO.

Sean Cagney
01-29-2012, 10:16 PM

Roddy or West > Barea
Carter > Stevenson
Odom > Chandler

I agree, but Odom to me is different than Chandler, one was a rebounder and position defender (A true 5) the other is a tweener type, big difference there and how it meshes with the team is key. On Paper yeah maybe better, but will that translate as you say.

BTW a year older and new parts out there tells me they won't be better than last years team, that team got a good chemistry going late.
Odom > Chandler 1 out of 5 games only

I agree with you.

Nathan89
01-29-2012, 10:21 PM

Roddy or West > Barea
Carter > Stevenson
Odom > Chandler

Barea > Roddy or West
Chandler > Odom
Last year's Dirk >>>> This year Dirk
Last year's Playoffs Terry >or= This year's Playoffs Terry
Last year's Kidd>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> This year's Kidd

On paper and on the court this team is not as good as last year.

DeadlyDynasty
01-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Odom > Chandler

That's up there with "manu > dirk."

DAF86
01-29-2012, 10:28 PM
That's up there with "manu > dirk."

I guess you missed the "previous to last season" part.

Pelicans78
01-29-2012, 11:58 PM
They miss Chandler offensively as well.

mavsfan1000
01-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Dirk needs surgery I'm afraid. He fucked up his knee for the National team. Fuck.

DJ Mbenga
01-30-2012, 12:50 AM
on paper it seems yes, but on the court, chemistry, father time, shortened season, lack of motivation says no

#41 Shoot Em Up
01-30-2012, 12:57 AM
:lol mavfan
:lol in denial
:lol "he's just out of shape"
:lol "he's saving himself for the playoffs"
:lol TOSB Dirk

You need a big hard dick in yo mouth..... I'm game if you can get your head game in line.

jjktkk
01-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Dirk's knee is the key.

tlongII
01-30-2012, 02:02 AM
Fuck no! The Mavs suck!

djohn2oo8
01-30-2012, 03:32 AM
Fuck no! The Mavs suck!
T-long gettin' his trollin' on.

endrity
01-30-2012, 03:53 AM

Roddy or West > Barea
Carter > Stevenson
Odom > Chandler

Can't believe this, but I agree with DAF here.

Yes, on paper Dallas should be better. In fact losing Chandler has not made much of a difference because:
a) Both Haywood and Mahinmi have stepped up big time
b) Our perimeter D due to West, Beaubois, Trix but even Carter and Odom is much better and the centers are not as exposed as they used to be.

The quality of the rotation on paper is much improved also. Carter, Odom, Roddy, and West are much better than Stevenson, Peja, JJB, and hurt Butler.

However, Kidd and Dirk just doesn't seem alright, but they could recover. Dirk especially, you don't go from being arguably the most unguardable player in the game to being done in 6 months. Jet is fine. But more than that, last year's team had amazing chemistry. I have seen those games over and over again. Both the rotations on defense and the ball movement on offense were absolute quality. Those guys could play with their eyes closed I'd think, they just knew where everybody would be. It's very hard to recapture that kind of form no matter what.

One thing Dirk is right though is that the West is wide open. I really am not more scared of OKC than I am of the Lakers, Nuggets, Spurs or Memphis. We have played the Zombie Sonics very well every time and I think we're a bit in their head. Call me crazy but I still respect the Lakers and Spurs much more than the rest of the kids in the West.

Latarian Milton
01-30-2012, 06:39 AM
the loss of ambition cancels all off though

Stalin
01-30-2012, 11:03 AM
You need a big hard dick in yo mouth..... I'm game if you can get your head game in line.

sorry to break your heart, but i tend to send faggotry to the gulag, i'm sure we can find a spot for you, as well, no doubt your enthusiasm will be much appriciated, tbqh

mavsfan1000
01-30-2012, 08:48 PM
I tell you he fucked up his knee for the German team. He needs surgery to fix it. He won't be the same until he gets it. It is so obvious he is seriously injured in that knee and can't run right.

Hooks
01-30-2012, 09:12 PM
Last year's team actually wasn't that good, they just had a shit load of things go their way in the playoffs.

Let me see if I can remember who they played in last year's playoffs

-Blazers in 1st round right? Batum was tearing it the hell up towards the end of the season he was scoring like 20 points a game while being extremely efficient making the Blazers go from mediocre team at best to a really good team. Once the playoffs came a long he was a non factor, he couldn't make anything at all, all the shots he was hitting during the regular season he was missing. It didn't have anything to do with the Mavs' defense, it was Batum just fucking up.

-2nd round was the Lakers I think. L.A played like shit during the regular season, people kept on saying "oh they'll turn it up during the playoffs" they of course never did. They got the NOH in the 1st round, a team that had just lost it's team leader in West right before the PO's, the guy who carried them to the playoffs. L.A wound up winning 4-2? With a couple of those games that could've gone either way.

-3rd round

They played the Thunder, the Thunder blew tons of leads due to Westbrook pulling a Kobe and fucking shit up on offense, just all out ball hogging. The Thunder pretty much beat themselves.

Same exact thing happened against the Heat, it took unconscious 3pt shooting from guys like Stevenson/Barea/etc. and the Heat to blow some big leads in order for the Mavs to win.

I just don't see how the Mavs could replicate that 3pt shooting, their first two playoff opponents being pretty bad, and the final 2 teams they played just choking leads away. Dirk was also unstoppable, if he can't return to that form they have no hope.

HarlemHeat37
01-30-2012, 09:18 PM
I agree that the Mavs probably couldn't replicate their shooting from last year's playoffs, but their competition had very little to do with their success IMO..their run to the title was easily more difficult than the 2009/2010 Lakers and 2007 Spurs..

pass1st
01-30-2012, 09:22 PM
I agree that the Mavs probably couldn't replicate their shooting from last year's playoffs, but their competition had very little to do with their success IMO..their run to the title was easily more difficult than the 2009/2010 Lakers and 2007 Spurs..

2010 Finals were pretty fucking intense, no comparison to the 2011 post-season.