PDA

View Full Version : The starters

ElNono
01-29-2012, 09:36 PM
It's been a recurring theme this season. Starters dig a hole, bench comes in and dig them out... save for a couple games, it's been happening over and over and over... today it was magnified due to the big hole the team was on.

How do you get the starters to give a shit? Especially defensively, where the bench with guys like Green and Splitter really put a lot of hustle and hunger into it.

Does Pop need to start yanking out guys like RJ and Blair like the last game to get the point across? It seemed to be short-lived, since today they went anemic again. Do some of them need to lose the starting spot entirely?

Bender
01-29-2012, 09:38 PM
the starters suck for sure

HarlemHeat37
Insert Splitter into the starting lineup, take Jefferson out when Ginobili returns..

Parker
Ginobili
Green
Duncan
Splitter

Neal
Ford
Bonner
Blair
Leonard
Jefferson

The bench would still be one of the better benches in the NBA..Blair would be more effective against bench players, Jefferson wouldn't be a defensive liability against opposing bench players..

silverblk mystix
Fuckhead coach might realize...in about two fuckin' years that Blair and RJ should not be starters....

Every game is the same story...

01-29-2012, 09:45 PM
keeping the bench in the game was definitely pop's message to parker + duncan + jefferson to get their shit together. i would even take it a step further and permanently move them to the bench.

L.I.T
01-29-2012, 09:48 PM
The return of Ford will allow Pop to make some changes without threatening, too much, the limited productivity of RJ/Blair when they come off the bench.

Become pretty clear that those two need to spoon fed to be any where close to effective. Ford showed that ability.

ElNono
01-29-2012, 09:50 PM
The return of Ford will allow Pop to make some changes without threatening, too much, the limited productivity of RJ/Blair when they come off the bench.

Become pretty clear that those two need to spoon fed to be any where close to effective. Ford showed that ability.

I don't want to spoon fed them. That's not going to make them give a shit on defense... I want Blair to play like the other team is a Triple Meat and Triple Cheese Whataburger... and RJ like the other team stole his boyfriend...

TD 21
01-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Pop should have a conversation with Jefferson and tell him, in no uncertain terms: "It's not acceptable to be making in excess of $9 million and think it's good enough to just be a spot up three-point shooter". Sure, he's in decline athletically, but he's not at the point that Finley was at when he got to the Spurs and he was no longer capable of getting to the line, save for once in a blue moon. This asshole should still be capable of getting there at a decent rate, he just refuses to do it.

DPG get's it; this guy is a disease. His lazy, soft, bullshit play has permeated it's way through this team. Enough. If they can't rid themselves of him, then staple his ass to the bench. Anderson can have his spot in the rotation until Ginobili returns. He won't shoot in excess of 40% from 3, but at least he'll play like he gives a damn. Also, that will free up more minutes for Green and Neal. I don't care how much Green tries to do too much and how athletically limited Neal is, they're both winners. Something this team needs more of.

Blair should be benched, too. Pop will have to do plenty of subbing to avoiding pairing Blair with Bonner for long stretches, but that's fine. In the meantime, the front office needs to do their jobs and get this team another competent big. They should be doing everything they can to sign Martin, but once they inevitably fail, they're going to need to go the trade route. No one's asking for or expecting some star or even some big time prospect, just someone who'd allow Duncan and Splitter to play together for more than a few minutes at a time.

jag
01-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Insert Splitter into the starting lineup, take Jefferson out when Ginobili returns..

Parker
Ginobili
Green
Duncan
Splitter

Neal
Ford
Bonner
Blair
Leonard
Jefferson

The bench would still be one of the better benches in the NBA..Blair would be more effective against bench players, Jefferson wouldn't be a defensive liability against opposing bench players..

I like this but Green is so inconsistent. It seems like he performs well as an energy guy off the bench playing against opposing second units.

L.I.T
01-29-2012, 10:09 PM
I don't want to spoon fed them. That's not going to make them give a shit on defense... I want Blair to play like the other team is a Triple Meat and Triple Cheese Whataburger... and RJ like the other team stole his boyfriend...

That's the dream. But for whatever reason (mentally soft?) the two's balls have decided to retract. And only seem to be effective when being pampered on the offensive end.

Now, a part of me would like to see them benched forthwith and Green/Splitter starting in their place. But that effectively empties the bench (Neal/Bonner/JA is the definition of thin). I have a sneaky suspicion that both would curl up and die right now if they were benched.

Which, granted is basically what they are doing now.

therealtruth
01-29-2012, 10:40 PM
If Kawhi can hit the 3 consistently I think he wins the starting spot over RJ but right now RJ might be the best bet and subbing him out early.

Ice009
01-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Pop should have a conversation with Jefferson and tell him, in no uncertain terms: "It's not acceptable to be making in excess of $9 million and think it's good enough to just be a spot up three-point shooter". Sure, he's in decline athletically, but he's not at the point that Finley was at when he got to the Spurs and he was no longer capable of getting to the line, save for once in a blue moon. This asshole should still be capable of getting there at a decent rate, he just refuses to do it.

DPG get's it; this guy is a disease. His lazy, soft, bullshit play has permeated it's way through this team. Enough. If they can't rid themselves of him, then staple his ass to the bench. Anderson can have his spot in the rotation until Ginobili returns. He won't shoot in excess of 40% from 3, but at least he'll play like he gives a damn. Also, that will free up more minutes for Green and Neal. I don't care how much Green tries to do too much and how athletically limited Neal is, they're both winners. Something this team needs more of.

I'd be quite happy to bench RJ and give Anderson his spot until Manu returns. I have no problem with that. I like your take.