PDA

View Full Version : Pop is the only coach...

Nathan89
01-29-2012, 10:37 PM
in the league that would have stuck with his bench the entire 4th and overtime. This is the second time he put trust in them and they failed both times. Next time he better put in Tony and Tim at least. Tiago and Tim could have played while Ian and Dirk were on the court. Tim should have also been the one to inbound the pass at the end.

Also he chose to play Tiago 4:36 in the first half and 21+ in the second half. I just don't know how this man makes decisions. Has anyone noticed him flipping a coin on the sideline? Shit like that can really throw the psyche off in a player. Tiago was probably thinking he lost the confidence in Pop again. He's never going play up to his potential with Pop pulling shit like this. An unstable environment isn't suitable for growth.

DPG21920
01-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Tony played like garbage. He deserved to sit. Why would you put the guys in that dug you a hole and expect them to be better than the guys that brought you back? Tiago played a lot in the 2nd half because Pop waived the white flag.

MinuteByMinuteSports
01-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Like I said before, Pop doesn't give a fuck about the team anymore. When teams go on a run, he takes no timeout. I believe Pop is the real underlying issue.

Nathan89
01-29-2012, 10:51 PM
Tony played like garbage. He deserved to sit. Why would you put the guys in that dug you a hole and expect them to be better than the guys that brought you back? Tiago played a lot in the 2nd half because Pop waived the white flag.

Because Tony is still the Spurs best player. He could pass it to a wide open Tiago on a pnr(perhaps he isn't so great at this either but Neal is awful at it). The change in momentum in the game is big, imo. Tim and Tony would come in to join this surge that the bench had started. Not to mention I would trust them not to make the stupid play and also potentially making a big play. What I don't like is a bunch of bench players trying to seal the deal.

DPG21920
01-29-2012, 10:54 PM
If he was, he should of done that when he had his chance tonight. Not questioning Pop on this one.

Wild Cobra Kai
01-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Second guessing is a zero sum game. If he substituted and we lost everyone would be on him for breaking up the unit that got them back into the game. I know this because I've been here long enough to see that shit, too.

Chieflion
01-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Looks like he is in a lose-lose situation. I'm no Pop-apologist but you gotta stick with the guys who got you back in it. It takes guts to tell your star players that they sucked and won't be playing for the rest of the game. Hopefully, this game ignites the starters to perform better than the bench players consistently.

Buddy Holly
01-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Second guessing is a zero sum game. If he substituted and we lost everyone would be on him for breaking up the unit that got them back into the game. I know this because I've been here long enough to see that shit, too.

This.

Though I don't think anyone would have bitched if he took Bonner out and replaced him with Tim on that final play in OT.

Mugen
01-29-2012, 11:22 PM
No way Pop leaves Manu out of the 4th and the OT :stirpot:

TJastal
01-29-2012, 11:23 PM
Looks like he is in a lose-lose situation. I'm no Pop-apologist but you gotta stick with the guys who got you back in it. It takes guts to tell your star players that they sucked and won't be playing for the rest of the game. Hopefully, this game ignites the starters to perform better than the bench players consistently.

Doesn't really take guts to have a tantrum mid-game and replace the starters then have another tantrum and not put in your best closers when the game is on the line. That's just Popovich being an idiot. And when a coach loses his cool and does stupid things regardless of how his players are playing (as Pop did tonight) bad stuff usually happens. And did tonight.

What would take actual guts is for Pop to start moving guys who aren't performing out of the starting lineup and putting in guys that are (like Splitter and Green for instance). Then increasing their minutes.

Ice009
01-29-2012, 11:24 PM
If he was, he should of done that when he had his chance tonight. Not questioning Pop on this one.

No questioning Pop? What did he do that was so great?

He tossed in the towel again and waived the white flag, bench picked up the towel and shoved it up his ass.

He did no coaching whatsoever after the point where he tossed in the towel. Didn't make any adjustments at all.

baseline bum
01-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Pop made the right call leaving the guys who gave a shit tonight in.

Ice009
01-29-2012, 11:31 PM

I can ride with that for most of the 4th quarter, but not the whole 4th quarter.

He should have made an adjustment when Dallas made their run in the last 2 minutes of the 4th.

He did nothing. Let Dallas get back into it. I would have definitely subbed Parker back in for some better execution down the stretch.

I may have even called a timeout and gotten into the refs with about not calling any fouls on Dallas players.

Mugen
01-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Carlisle was being a dumbass by not pressuring Neal while he brought the ball up the entire 4th.

I'm fine with leaving them in through regulation but after they choke away a 7 point lead then an adjustment should have been made in OT and sub Parker in.

TJastal
01-29-2012, 11:36 PM

There are better ways to handle that situation then having a tantrum and then blowing the team's chances of winning the game in the closing seconds with another tantrum.

TDMVPDPOY
01-30-2012, 12:10 AM
why was timmay even bothering warming up in OT, did he thought the games was going to 2OT? lol scrub

Ditty
01-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Pop should of put Duncan in for that OT for Bonner, Spurs really struggled executing the offense, and Bonner was useless in OT, when they got to predictable.

therealtruth
01-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Even if they were playing well you can't play for 17 minutes straight. No one does that.

Nathan89
01-30-2012, 01:09 AM
Even if they were playing well you can't play for 17 minutes straight. No one does that.

Pop does that. At least take Bonner out. A 6'10 shooter shouldn't play that many consecutive minutes.

Nathan89
01-30-2012, 01:11 AM

Well leaving the bench in has failed the Spurs twice now. Next time I would hope for an adjustment.

TJastal
01-30-2012, 01:17 AM
Pop does that. At least take Bonner out. A 6'10 shooter shouldn't play that many consecutive minutes.

But by golly he was mad! I'm so proud Pop took a STAND finally and SHOWED those ne'er do well starters just what what and how!

4>0rings
01-30-2012, 02:04 AM
I hate Pop, but he did the right thing imo. He rode the team that got him there, that was the right thing to do.

baseline bum
01-30-2012, 02:06 AM
The crew that got the Spurs back in the game deserved the chance to win it, which they came 1/10th of a second from doing.

TJastal
01-30-2012, 02:17 AM
The crew that got the Spurs back in the game deserved the chance to win it, which they came 1/10th of a second from doing.

Damn right they did! And Pop will reward them next game by not starting them and instead starting the same sob's that got the spurs into tonight's defecit! Cuz he's a great coach!

ElNono
01-30-2012, 02:19 AM
I thought it was the right move. I also think this is what the regular season is for. Sending messages, and letting players grow. Lest we forget Pop went desperate last playoffs and ended up playing Tiago who was clearly not ready. This is the time to put them through pressure packed situations and see who does what and how they respond.

What I'm not so sure about is if the starters will pick up the message. Tony has been playing well in general lately, so I understand he can have a bad game. Tim is just a little old and worm out. Guys like Blair and Richard though, I'm not convinced they care enough to pick up the slack. It was just two games ago that Pop pulled all the starters in the 3rd quarter at home against Atlanta to send this same kind of message, and nothing happened. Might be time to grab the hook and start sitting some. Some of the bench guys certainly look hungry and screaming for a bigger role.

ElNono
01-30-2012, 02:26 AM
@JMcDonald_SAEN
Tim Duncan agreed with decision to stick with bench, said he didn't take it as a message to Spurs' struggling starters.

TJastal
01-30-2012, 02:28 AM
@JMcDonald_SAEN
Tim Duncan agreed with decision to stick with bench, said he didn't take it as a message to Spurs' struggling starters.

You should know by now ElNono that Tim Duncan never says whats really on his mind.

The look on his face heading to the locker room says it all IMO. The look of extreme frustration boiling over.

therealtruth
01-30-2012, 02:46 AM
You should know by now ElNono that Tim Duncan never says whats really on his mind.

The look on his face heading to the locker room says it all IMO. The look of extreme frustration boiling over.

That's TD's problem. He never challenges Pop. There's no reason for him to finish his career on a roster that has been lacking quality bigs. As much as Pop tries to save Duncan getting him help inside would do the most to save his career. Tiago is a step in the right direction but they at least need on other quality big in that rotation.

jjktkk
01-30-2012, 02:50 AM
That's TD's problem. He never challenges Pop.

And how do you know this?

Ice009
01-30-2012, 02:53 AM
@JMcDonald_SAEN

lol, complete waste of time. The message was NOT received. Either that, or Tim is sending his own subtle message.

mercos
01-30-2012, 03:15 AM
First of four games in five nights. Starters gave us nothing so he made the decision to rest them and stuck with that decision. I normally question Pop's substitutions, but I gotta give him credit for having guts on this one. Even though we lost it was the right move. We came within a tenth of a second of winning the thing. I think if he brings the starters back in we lose in regulation.

TJastal
01-30-2012, 03:46 AM
First of four games in five nights. Starters gave us nothing so he made the decision to rest them and stuck with that decision. I normally question Pop's substitutions, but I gotta give him credit for having guts on this one. Even though we lost it was the right move. We came within a tenth of a second of winning the thing. I think if he brings the starters back in we lose in regulation.

So going by this logic, our two best players (TP & TD) shouldn't see crunch time the rest of the year if they have anything resembling an off - game. When Manu comes back, screw him too, plant his ass on that bench if he's not on fire.

And the 2nd team should be ridden into the ground on each and every first game of anything more than back2back. Because we want to send a message to the 1st team that they can continue loafing on the bench because our pussy coach won't make any real changes.

Hell, I'm all in for this plan. Maybe the spurs can hire a drink coordinator for the starters once they hit the bench midway through the 2nd quarter. And a dedicated What-a-burger delivery driver for Dejuan. And a male masseuese for RJ.

jjktkk
01-30-2012, 03:54 AM
So going by this logic, our two best players (TP & TD) shouldn't see crunch time the rest of the year if they have anything resembling an off - game. When Manu comes back, screw him too, plant his ass on that bench if he's not on fire.

And the 2nd team should be ridden into the ground on each and every first game of anything more than back2back. Because we want to send a message to the 1st team that they can continue loafing on the bench because our pussy coach won't make any real changes.

RJ.

And you come up with this brilliant conclusion off of one game? Nice. :lol

ChumpDumper
01-30-2012, 03:56 AM

The look on his face heading to the locker room says it all IMO. The look of extreme frustration boiling over.lol psychic TJ

TJastal
01-30-2012, 03:59 AM
lol psychic TJ

lol pop having a tantrum and benching half the team for 3/4 of the game and everyone agreeing it was the right move

ChumpDumper
01-30-2012, 04:02 AM
lol pop having a tantrum and benching half the team for 3/4 of the game and everyone agreeing it was the right moveWe're talking about what Rick Carlisle said. I guess you are surrendering the point.

You're just making shit up about Tim to fit your agenda.

jjktkk
01-30-2012, 04:10 AM
lol psychic TJ

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3969/4219740852.jpg

TJastal
01-30-2012, 04:12 AM
We're talking about what Rick Carlisle said. I guess you are surrendering the point.

You're just making shit up about Tim to fit your agenda.

Sorry you can't follow the train of thought tonight.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2012, 04:13 AM
Sorry you can't follow the train of thought tonight.I follow it.

It was a great troll, dude.

I admit, I fell for it for months. I should have known no one could actually think like this.

jjktkk
01-30-2012, 04:14 AM
Sorry you can't follow the train of thought tonight.

Letme know when someone on here does.

TJastal
01-30-2012, 04:19 AM
You guys are just butthurt that Carlslisle's supposed "praise" was actually a subtle jab. And that you were too stupid to see that it was.

DeadlyDynasty
01-30-2012, 04:23 AM
You guys are just butthurt that Carlslisle's supposed "praise" was actually a subtle jab. And that you were too stupid to see that it was.

Does RC give out left-handed compliments often?

jjktkk
01-30-2012, 04:24 AM

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3969/4219740852.jpg[/QUOTE]

:lol:lol:lol:lol

ChumpDumper
You guys are just butthurt that Carlslisle's supposed "praise" was actually a subtle jab. And that you were too stupid to see that it was.No really, congratulations.

You had us going for a long time, but saying both Carlisle and Duncan are flat out lying as part of the grand national conspiracy to fool Pop into thinking he is a respected NBA coach was a bridge too far.

ChumpDumper
Does RC give out left-handed compliments often?And Duncan always lies!

jjktkk
01-30-2012, 04:25 AM
Does RC give out left-handed compliments often?

RCs trolling Pop. :lol

DeadlyDynasty
01-30-2012, 04:27 AM
This guy's good:lol

TJastal
01-30-2012, 04:31 AM
And Duncan always lies!

lol acting like Duncan has ever stood up to Pop in his life.

This is all you got to stand on, this false notion that we must take Timmy at his word? You're arguments grow weaker every day.

TJastal
01-30-2012, 04:32 AM
No really, congratulations.

You had us going for a long time, but saying both Carlisle and Duncan are flat out lying as part of the grand national conspiracy to fool Pop into thinking he is a respected NBA coach was a bridge too far.

Wow you must be really butthurt about this to be going on and on about it. Must bother you alot, huh?

ChumpDumper
01-30-2012, 04:33 AM

This is all you got to stand on, this false notion that we must take Timmy at his word? You're arguments grow weaker every day.Your argument is he always lies when he publicly agrees with Pop because, well, because you think he should disagree with Pop as much as you do.

Again, great troll -- you just overplayed your hand with this one.

jjktkk
01-30-2012, 04:39 AM

This is all you got to stand on, this false notion that we must take Timmy at his word? You're arguments grow weaker every day.

How many conspiracy theories do you have?

TJastal
01-30-2012, 04:40 AM
Your argument is he always lies when he publicly agrees with Pop because, well, because you think he should disagree with Pop as much as you do.

Again, great troll -- you just overplayed your hand with this one.

Wow you must be really butthurt about this to be going on and on about it. Must bother you alot, huh?

TJastal
01-30-2012, 04:42 AM
How many conspiracy theories do you have?

Actually, after playing with a 6'5" midget for 2 years running and a redheaded pansy for the 2 years before that I think Tim Duncan should recieve some kind of medal for not demanding a trade and/or publically calling for Pop's ouster.

But that's just blasphemy talk, right Poplover?

ChumpDumper
01-30-2012, 04:45 AM
Actually, after playing with a 6'5" midget for 2 years running and a redheaded pansy for the 2 years before that I think Tim Duncan should recieve some kind of medal for not demanding a trade and/or publically calling for Pop's ouster.

But that's just blasphemy talk, right Poplover?You just said Duncan lies whenever he publicly agrees with Pop.

That's simply insane.

TJastal
01-30-2012, 04:49 AM
You just said Duncan lies whenever he publicly agrees with Pop.

That's simply insane.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2012, 04:50 AM
Wow, you must really be butthurt about this to quit defending your position.

Or still trolling. :toast

ChumpDumper
01-30-2012, 04:51 AM
Wow, you must really be butthurt about this to quit defending your position.

Or still trolling. :toast

jjktkk
01-30-2012, 04:51 AM

But that's just blasphemy talk, right Poplover?

No, its just another raging spurfan venting on a sports forum.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2012, 04:52 AM
Would you like to talk about something else now in this thread?

TJastal
01-30-2012, 04:59 AM
No, its just another raging spurfan venting on a sports forum.

So you are saying if Timmy hasn't said anything he must be perfectly happy with Pop's last 4 years of starting PF (Finley, Jefferson, Bonner, & Blair).

I mean, Timmy is superhuman right? He doesn't need a real power forward helping him, nah.

TJastal
01-30-2012, 05:01 AM
:lmao "noteworthy" :rollin :lol :lol

Damn you guys are fun to play around with.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2012, 05:03 AM
:lmao "noteworthy" :rollin :lol :lol

Damn you guys are fun to play around with.:lmao So you think Carlisle noted it because he didn't think it was noteworthy. :rollin :lol :lol

Damn you are fun to play around with.

TDMVPDPOY
01-30-2012, 06:03 AM
down 19, he played that mercy card again by clearing the bench, it worked for him and stick it to the starters by not giving them minutes...

the last time he did this it backfired on him...

giving him credit is wrong

TJastal
01-30-2012, 06:27 AM
Tonight's scorecard as Pop prepares his team for the upcoming rodeo trip and a particularily nasty stretch of the schedule:

1. Alienated starters? Check.
2. Exhausted and depleted bench? Check.
3. Tiago Splitter back to disillusioned and unsure of himself? Check.
4. Pop once again handing the keys to Bonner in late game situations only to watch
Bonner piss himself once again? Check.
5. Opposing coaches subtly poking fun at him while feigning deep admiration? Check.

Shh, girls. Let the mastermind do his work.

Obstructed_View
01-30-2012, 07:31 AM
Tony and Tim were the reason the Spurs couldn't score.

TDMVPDPOY
01-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Tony and Tim were the reason the Spurs couldn't score.

its always been like this ever since td has declined, while we have a deep bench of offensive players who can score, but they need to be setup and facilitated to be very effective...but no, the 2 man players needs to get theirs first and everything falls into place...

theres a reason why the bench always play a smoother game then the starters cause they dont rely on 2 players to score most of the points....it would help also if pop would stop with the NEAL PG experiment, and allow Green to take the pg duties for the moment....

dunkman
01-30-2012, 08:15 AM
It's the regular season.

Fireball
01-30-2012, 09:27 AM
3. Tiago Splitter back to disillusioned and unsure of himself? Check.

I do not buy that at all. Splitter just shot out of his mind the last games with 75% FG. A less efficient game had to happen. He still looked strong and confident (2 put back dunks) ... the refs just did not blow the whistle tonight, otherwise he would have been in double figures again and shot around 50% ...

manufan10
01-30-2012, 10:30 AM
:cry Pop is the reason this team sucks. :cry

SpurNation
01-30-2012, 10:50 AM
The right call imo. You stick with who's getting it done and reward them the chance to win it. This was a win win even if the game were a loss. If gave starters rest (which is why they were playing poorly to begin with being a 2nd game in 3 days with a b2b the next game.) AND it gave the second unit time to be more cohesive as the season moves along. I don't know..if I were Dallas I'd be thinking how a second unit squad made of mainly second to third year players that were not high draft picks could keep the game that close.

If anything...kudos to the second unit for providing a glimpse of what they may become in the future and to Pop for letting them play.

TJastal
01-30-2012, 11:45 AM
I do not buy that at all. Splitter just shot out of his mind the last games with 75% FG. A less efficient game had to happen. He still looked strong and confident (2 put back dunks) ... the refs just did not blow the whistle tonight, otherwise he would have been in double figures again and shot around 50% ...

You're absolutely right, Fireball. And let me add that T.S. absolutely needs Pop to keep up the media slander about his game, lest he forget how bad he sucks. It's great for his confidence. And more random unexplained DNP quarters. Heck, he should be used to it right? Last year his entire season was littered with DNP's for entire stretches of games. The inconsistent playing time will absolutely help keep him on his toes and sharp, we wouldn't want him getting comfortable with his role or normal rotation or anything. He's young yet, hardly played any professional basketball in his life, Pop needs to keep him focused. :tu

TJastal
01-30-2012, 11:46 AM
The right call imo. You stick with who's getting it done and reward them the chance to win it. This was a win win even if the game were a loss. If gave starters rest (which is why they were playing poorly to begin with being a 2nd game in 3 days with a b2b the next game.) AND it gave the second unit time to be more cohesive as the season moves along. I don't know..if I were Dallas I'd be thinking how a second unit squad made of mainly second to third year players that were not high draft picks could keep the game that close.

If anything...kudos to the second unit for providing a glimpse of what they may become in the future and to Pop for letting them play.

Absolutely. Stick with what got ya there, even if what got ya there is doubled over and breathing heavily and not able to even close out on a shooter or come get the ball from the big at the outer edge of the circle. Reward em I say. Good take.

JR3
01-30-2012, 11:51 AM
I disagree with the original post. Pop did the right thing and let the players who actually wanted to win the game play. I enjoyed watching the bench fight to the end. If it wasn't for 1 tenth of a second, you would not have an argument.

Leetonidas
01-30-2012, 11:58 AM
They would've won the fucking game if Green got the ball out of his hands a tenth of a second earlier. They only lost by 1. This was great for the 2nd unit's confidence, so quit bitching.

Leetonidas
01-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Absolutely. Stick with what got ya there, even if what got ya there is doubled over and breathing heavily and not able to even close out on a shooter or come get the ball from the big at the outer edge of the circle. Reward em I say. Good take.

You picked a very accurate user title.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2012, 02:15 PM
lol TJ still ranting about the silent but nationwide player and coach conspiracies against Pop.

jjktkk
01-30-2012, 02:20 PM
lol TJ still ranting about the silent but nationwide player and coach conspiracies against Pop.

I'm going to be looking out for him at the upcoming Rodeo, see if hes got a psychic booth set up.

manufan10
01-30-2012, 02:28 PM
Chump regulating GNSF..

:corn: