PDA

View Full Version : Considering adopting a rescue dog

Halberto
01-30-2012, 04:49 AM
Have any of you ever rescued a dog from a specific breed-based organization? I've always wanted a bull terrier and I feel like I'm in a perfect situation to own one right now (I spend weeks out in the woods of Jasper, TX on wellsites where I have plenty of time to myself). My Aunt and Uncle always go through rescue organizations and the dogs always seem fine, and they end up saving a dog that would normally cost insane money to buy as a puppy from an AKC breeder. Here's a picture of the little guy:

http://images.rescueme.org/11/12/08/11-12-08-00059.jpg

Drachen
01-30-2012, 09:49 AM
I got my black lab mix from the Animal Defense League. She is a great dog and is loyal almost to a fault! We got her for only 65 dollars and that included all shots (up to the day that we got her), she was spayed, and microchipped. They also threw in a collar and a bag of dog food. Why anyone would support someone who gets dogs (or cats) pregnant for a living when there are a ton of dogs/cats available who need a home already (not to mention the exhorbinant cost that they charge for a dog). Anyway, I have had a good experience and so has everyone who I know who got a rescue dog.

jb4g
01-30-2012, 09:59 AM
a breed specific organization is likely to have a more involved adoption process. Application of some type, as well as a in-home visit from the group. Not quite as easy as adopting from ADL or HS, and expect a higher adoption fee as well. One plus to these types of rescues is they generally have in home fosters who care for the dogs, so they can usually give you a good feel for a dogs personality and manners and find a good match. I worked with a Boxer group for many years, always glad to see folks wanting to adopt versus buying...best of luck.

Drachen
01-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Oh, I guess I misunderstood. Sorry, I don't have experience with this type of group. I support you though for supporting such a group instead of a breeder.

silverbora
01-30-2012, 07:02 PM
i've rescued/adopted 2 greyhounds from breed specific groups.. and while yes they are a little fanatical and make you sign your life away, it's definitely worth it

http://i.imgur.com/cHErE.jpg

The Reckoning
01-30-2012, 07:04 PM
id say yes as long as that isnt a neck brace. extra baggage ya know.

Notorious H.O.P.
01-30-2012, 11:31 PM
We got our dog at Animal Control Services off of 151. He was already tagged as going to a dachshund rescue if he wasn't adopted but luckily we just happened to visit ACS on a whim and fell in love with the little guy. My wife even took the day off and showed up over two hours before they opened to make sure we got him.

I recently saw a sticker of a paw that said "Who Rescued Who?" and I totally get the sentiment. Its obvious he rescued us and I think it is a great thing when someone chooses the rescue route instead of the breeder route. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

ColinB
01-31-2012, 01:28 AM
I rescued my dog from a kill shelter 14 years ago. Best decision and she had a great impact on my life. Sadly, she passed away today.

I think you should definitely go for it. It will make an awesome difference in both of your lives.