PDA

View Full Version : A revelation about Matt Bonner

cantthinkofanything
01-30-2012, 10:28 AM
So I went to the game last night. A buddy had tickets through his company and we were only a few rows off the court. It gave me a chance to really see Matt Bonner up close and get an understanding of his game that you don't really get from watching it on TV.

As bad and useless as I thought Bonner was, he's even more worthless than that. He's constantly pushed aside like a blowup doll by the other team. Doesn't matter what player he's trying to block out or defend. It's like an infant trying to cover and adult in a game of NERF Hoop. He literally is worthless. I did some extensive research and number crunching and I figured that he would have to average 20 points per game on 67.4% shooting to offset his mammoth suckiness in all other aspects of the game.

Again, I was totally shocked that he is worse than I gave him credit for.

jeebus
01-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Did you say hi to the Bonner Brothers?

Amuseddaysleeper
01-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Jealous you got to go to the game, were you freaking out when we thought Danny Green's buzzer beater was ruled good? :lol

cantthinkofanything
01-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Jealous you got to go to the game, were you freaking out when we thought Danny Green's buzzer beater was ruled good? :lol

It was nuts. There were three other Spurs fans in the area and we were high fiving and shit. Then not so much. I took this pic of Cuban after the Spurs had come back and were up by 9.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s398/cantthinkofanything2/th_Cuban.jpg

TJastal
01-30-2012, 12:14 PM
It was nuts. There were three other Spurs fans in the area and we were high fiving and shit. Then not so much. I took this pic of Cuban after the Spurs had come back and were up by 9.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s398/cantthinkofanything2/th_Cuban.jpg

Thankfully the spurs lost the game. It was a great loss, you know.

cantthinkofanything
01-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Thankfully the spurs lost the game. It was a great loss, you know.

WTF. Can't tell if you're trying to be funny or being an asshole.

8FOR!3
01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Funny thing is, from what I hear stats show that the team does better with Bonner on the court...Please correct me if I'm wrong.

cantthinkofanything
01-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Funny thing is, from what I hear stats show that the team does better with Bonner on the court...Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Stats smats. The stats don't show how many rebounds Bonner doesn't get. Or how many times, his crappy defense allows other players to score. And the only stat that mattered last night was the team not scoring on the last possession.

8FOR!3
01-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Stats smats. The stats don't show how many rebounds Bonner doesn't get. Or how many times, his crappy defense allows other players to score. And the only stat that mattered last night was the team not scoring on the last possession.

ehh, so it wasn't the rest of the game that put us in that situation? Good thing you're not a head coach, that's not the proper answer :lol

cantthinkofanything
01-30-2012, 01:24 PM
ehh, so it wasn't the rest of the game that put us in that situation? Good thing you're not a head coach, that's not the proper answer :lol

Yeah, I'm so stupid that I probably would have played Tiago in the 2nd quarter.

Paranoid Pop
01-30-2012, 04:25 PM
So I went to the game last night. A buddy had tickets through his company and we were only a few rows off the court. It gave me a chance to really see Matt Bonner up close and get an understanding of his game that you don't really get from watching it on TV.

As bad and useless as I thought Bonner was, he's even more worthless than that. He's constantly pushed aside like a blowup doll by the other team. Doesn't matter what player he's trying to block out or defend. It's like an infant trying to cover and adult in a game of NERF Hoop. He literally is worthless. I did some extensive research and number crunching and I figured that he would have to average 20 points per game on 67.4% shooting to offset his mammoth suckiness in all other aspects of the game.

:lol

On another note, gotta stop putting Green in a position to miss game deciding shots, it might crush his confidence if this keeps up, he had at least 4 in the last few games and 2 in that game alone. He's great but let someone else shoot them now.

Paranoid Pop
01-30-2012, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I'm so stupid that I probably would have played Tiago in the 2nd quarter.

Tbh as much as I hate on Blair's defense he did great on Dirk.

GrandeDavid
01-30-2012, 04:30 PM

I agree. And if Bonner's wide open three point attempts are falling, its hard to believe he's on an NBA roster, much less one which claims to be a contender.

bthewigwam
01-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Were you wearing a D-Rob jersey sitting behind the Mavs bench?

DMC
01-30-2012, 04:47 PM
1. you didn't go to the game
2. you didn't do any research or number crunching
3. you still start dumb threads

cantthinkofanything
01-30-2012, 04:48 PM
Were you wearing a D-Rob jersey sitting behind the Mavs bench?

nope.

SenorSpur
01-30-2012, 05:12 PM
I agree. And if Bonner's wide open three point attempts are falling, its hard to believe he's on an NBA roster, much less one which claims to be a contender.

Couldn't agree more. And Pop acts as though Bonner is some special secret weapon that he has on his squad, that other NBA teams aren't fortunate enough to have. I agree that the guy is worthless and probably shouldn't be on any squad. In fact, his mere presence on the Spurs is only exacerbated by the fact that Pop places such high regard in him.

DMC
01-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Matt does what he's out there to do, which is to see if he can get an open look at a 3 and take it. It's the other shit he tries to do and cannot that causes problems, but unfortunately you cannot insert and remove players in the NBA after every play like you can in the NFL.

drok210
01-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Sometimes you almost see how insulted the player Bonner's going against is BECAUSE He sees Bonner is playing him,even the white boys.

cantthinkofanything
01-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Matt does what he's out there to do, which is to see if he can get an open look at a 3 and take it. It's the other shit he tries to do and cannot that causes problems, but unfortunately you cannot insert and remove players in the NBA after every play like you can in the NFL.

So you think Bonner's 3 point shooting offsets his bad defense and crappy rebounding? The fact you can't change players on every play is precisely why he shouldn't be in the game at all.

Em-City
01-30-2012, 06:49 PM
He's constantly pushed aside like a blowup doll by the other team.

i :lol'd

cherylsteele
01-31-2012, 02:10 AM

This is a revelation for you?

TJastal
01-31-2012, 07:30 AM
So how does Bonner's shooting mechanics look can'tthinkofanything? GSH and a few others said in some other threads a few weeks ago how is motion was off kilter. Because of some knee issue.

Seems like he's fine now, if the last couple games are any indication.

GSH
01-31-2012, 11:59 AM
So how does Bonner's shooting mechanics look can'tthinkofanything? GSH and a few others said in some other threads a few weeks ago how is motion was off kilter. Because of some knee issue.

Seems like he's fine now, if the last couple games are any indication.

Look for yourself. He's brought his left foot back up, instead of having his legs in a "scissor" position. The arc is back on his shots - and they're falling. And when he lets that left foot slip back, he puts up line drives.

Go back and check the timing, and draw your own conclusions.

For the record, I was suggesting that he fell into a bad habit during rehab from that injury, not that he was still injured (although that's always possible). The extra drive from that extended back foot makes for a lower trajectory. And the extra body torsion causes alignment problems.

His 3-balls have started getting higher than the top of the backboard once again, and they are obviously lined up better. I know a lot of people don't believe in Pop's "spread the floor" theory. But when Bonner is making the long ball, it makes everybody's life easier. For the last 4 games, he's shooting 56% from the 3P line. That's a pretty big turnaround.