PDA

View Full Version : Spurs assign Thomas to Toros

underdawg
01-30-2012, 02:36 PM
didn't see this posted elsewhere:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218666/Spurs_Assign_Malcolm_Thomas_To_Austin_Toros

jjktkk
01-30-2012, 02:47 PM
didn't see this posted elsewhere:

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218666/Spurs_Assign_Malcolm_Thomas_To_Austin_Toros

Thanks for posting. Good move imo. Thomas needs playing time/expierence. Would like to see him bulk up alittle as well.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2012, 02:51 PM
A little surprised it didn't happen sooner. He should get all the time he can handle since the Toros are short on big men.

You can watch him play at 11AM CST Tuesday.

TJastal
01-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Thanks for posting. Good move imo. Thomas needs playing time/expierence. Would like to see him bulk up alittle as well.

Has there ever been a 'bad move' by the FO according to you? :lol

ChumpDumper
01-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Has there ever been a 'bad move' by the FO according to you? :lolDo you consider this a bad move?

manufan10
01-30-2012, 02:53 PM

I agree. There's no way he can get better by being a bookend on the bench. Hope he can pan out for the Spurs.

timvp
01-30-2012, 03:00 PM
How many games does he get to play for the Toros before his contract becomes guaranteed? I'd look it up but I'm driving right now tbh.

underdawg
01-30-2012, 03:05 PM
A little surprised it didn't happen sooner. He should get all the time he can handle since the Toros are short on big men.

You can watch him play at 11AM CST Tuesday.

I don't mind this at all - at the minimum he gets some experience in the spurs' system.

If no other moves are made in the short term, why not give Dentmon some run with the second unit? Joseph is getting valuable experience, but it's worth taking a chance that dentmon's confidence carries over to the nba level resulting in some needed offense.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2012, 03:06 PM
How many games does he get to play for the Toros before his contract becomes guaranteed? I'd look it up but I'm driving right now tbh.Four.

He'll have pretty decent competition. Two games against the RGV (Greg Smith and Rockets assignee Marcus Morris) and two against Canton (Frank Hassell, Dante Milligan and Cavs assignee Luke Harangody).

elemento
01-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Do you guys think the Spurs will keep him for the rest of the season ?

manufan10
01-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Do you guys think the Spurs will keep him for the rest of the season ?

They'll probably see how well he does in Austin before making any decisions.

dylankerouac
01-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Do you think they are making room on the roster for someone else? If so I hope this person gets playing time.

Yuixafun
01-30-2012, 03:22 PM
I'm glad he got to experience that NBA game in Dallas.

Gonna give him something to look forward to and work for.

ChumpDumper
01-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Do you think they are making room on the roster for someone else? If so I hope this person gets playing time.Barring another injury, I don't see their signing another player for awhile.

SpurNation
01-30-2012, 03:32 PM
If they do bring anybody in again this year from D league...I hope Marcus Lewis from the Drillers gets a chance.

Bruno
01-30-2012, 03:41 PM
I can see Thomas staying in Austin only for one or two games before being called back by Spurs and getting a shot in a game where Duncan would be rested.

In any case, Spurs must quickly set up their minds about Thomas because they have just over one week to decide or not to keep him for the whole year.

mercos
01-30-2012, 04:41 PM
I think its the right move since Pop had no intention of using him. I like his potential and now he will actually get to see some game time. Unless the Spurs make a move I would imagine he will be brought back up at some point.

SenorSpur
01-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Really good move. I'm also surprised it didn't happen sooner.

I'd love to see this kid get some extended burn when Duncan get a night off.

Obstructed_View
01-30-2012, 08:16 PM
That block he got that didn't count was enough for me to want him ahead of Bonner in the rotation.

loveforthegame
01-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Hope he takes advantage of the playing time and proves to the Spurs that he's a keeper.

Wild Cobra Kai
01-30-2012, 09:04 PM
I was surprised how short he is. He's RJ's height.

elemento
01-30-2012, 09:10 PM
But RJ is tall ! Dick is listed as 6'7 but he is actually 6'7 barefoot and probably 6'8 in shoes. Thomas has basically the same size barefoot 6'7"25.

They have 2 inches over Dejuan Blair though

Obstructed_View
01-30-2012, 09:19 PM
I was surprised how short he is. He's RJ's height.

His standing reach is greater than Bonner's or Blair's.

Wild Cobra Kai
01-30-2012, 09:52 PM
His standing reach is greater than Bonner's or Blair's.

Yeah, and he has some springs, but he's still short and slight for a "big".

Obstructed_View
01-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Yeah, and he has some springs, but he's still short and slight for a "big".

Welcome to the Spurs, where Pops Mensah Bonsu looks like a player in comparison.

SenorSpur
01-30-2012, 10:47 PM
But RJ is tall ! Dick is listed as 6'7 but he is actually 6'7 barefoot and probably 6'8 in shoes. Thomas has basically the same size barefoot 6'7"25.

They have 2 inches over Dejuan Blair though

Strange. He appeared about an inch or so taller than RJ when I see them together in a timeout huddle. Later, I saw him standing next to Bonner, and he appeared to be about an inch shorter.

SpursRulez4eVeR
01-30-2012, 10:58 PM
good. now take Joseph with ya

ace3g
01-31-2012, 12:07 PM
can catch the game here: http://futurecast.nba.com/nbadl/console.jsp?id=2021100188

ace3g
01-31-2012, 03:04 PM
anyone watch the game (I had to leave) and couldn't watch the stream

He finished the game 7-12 FG 2-2 FT 8 boards 3 blocks, 16 points

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 05:11 PM
Thomas had a pretty good game off the bench. He probably got closer to five blocks, but some of them were subtle enough for statisticians to miss. A bit more polished offesnsively than I thought he would be, especially since he was getting double teamed most of the time he got the ball. Showed some nice footwork on the block and hit at least one jumper beyond 16 feet. A few weak finishes at the basket, missed defensive assignments and boxout failures, but nothing that can't be fixed.

Terrible game overall. Malcom was the only guy defending really effectively at times -- everyone was capable of doing better. The team usually needs a game or two to get used to a roster change like this, so I'm not that worried.

You can watch the game whenever you like here:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/video/dleague_futurecast_archives.html

The Toros play the Vipers again Wednesday at 7:30.

EricD
01-31-2012, 05:23 PM
Terrible game overall. Malcom was the only guy defending really effectively at times -- everyone was capable of doing better. The team usually needs a game or two to get used to a roster change like this, so I'm not that worried.

Leave it to ST's Mark Stein of the D-League to give us irrelevant news..

:lol

... :jack tbh..

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 05:25 PM
lol you read it

Interrohater
01-31-2012, 05:30 PM
Leave it to ST's Mark Stein of the D-League to give us irrelevant news..

... :jack tbh..
:jack Of course you're right. Nothing is cool, everything is lame, you love Hot Topic. We get it.

EricD
01-31-2012, 05:32 PM
:jack Of course you're right. Nothing is cool, everything is lame, you love Hot Topic. We get it.

Bitter gray girl...sshh

You only wish you knew 1% of what I know about basketball.

Get a clue gray-girl.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 05:34 PM
lol you're still in this thread

EricD
01-31-2012, 05:36 PM
lol you're still in this thread

lol season tickets to the Toros

lol watch Toro away games online

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 05:37 PM
lol season tickets to the Toros

lol watch Toro away games onlinelol never misses one of my posts about the Toros

lol still posting in a Toros thread

lol "The Basketball Guy" never has a basketball take

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 05:40 PM
He's back to bump the thread again!

Darkwaters
01-31-2012, 05:44 PM
lol never misses one of my posts about the Toros

lol still posting in a Toros thread

I'm sensing some tension here...:rolleyes

Darkwaters
01-31-2012, 05:45 PM
Chump,

So having gotten a closer look at Thomas, how do you think he stacks up as an NBA prospect?

EricD
01-31-2012, 05:49 PM
Chump,

So having gotten a closer look at Thomas, how do you think he stacks up as an NBA prospect?

Yeah Chump,

What's your take on the 2012 D-League draft?

Any potential steals in the later rounds?

You should make a thread in think tank tbh..

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm sensing some tension here...:rolleyesNothing out of the ordinary.

Chump,

So having gotten a closer look at Thomas, how do you think he stacks up as an NBA prospect?Why don't you ask "The Basketball Guy"?

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Yeah Chump,

What's your take on the 2012 D-League draft?

Any potential steals in the later rounds?

You should make a thread in think tank tbh..Has anyone ever asked you for a basketball take, "The Basketball Guy"?

EricD
01-31-2012, 05:53 PM
Chump,

He's definitely a prospect if the Spurs are considering holding on to him for the year.

Looks like his ceiling could be a Darrel Arthur complimentary role guy type.

Only time will tell honestly.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Of course Thomas has some potential. It would be nice if he can bulk up a bit without losing much speed or hops. It sure looks like the Spurs want to find out what he can do offensively. He was getting the force-feed treatment through much of the game. I think he may already have an edge on someone like Lou Amundson because he has something resembling an offensive game.

EricD
01-31-2012, 05:55 PM
Has anyone ever asked you for a basketball take, "The Basketball Guy"?

I'm the under the radar type. Kind of like the Van Gundy's.

I don't have kiss-asses asking me anything because I'm grey for the time being, although I'm going to work my butt off to get black and bold whenever time allows me to post more.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 05:56 PM

I don't have kiss-asses asking me anything because I'm grey for the time being, although I'm going to work my butt off to get black and bold whenever time allows me to post more.I'll take that as a "no."

Thank you for your unceasing attention.

EricD
01-31-2012, 05:58 PM
I just find it hilarious how you have 65 thousand posts and all of them have to do with the Toro's, the D-League draft and Toro away games online.

When it's blatantly obvious that the D-Leage has done literally nothing for the Spurs during it's existence.

You should try being more productive with your time IMO.

Interrohater
01-31-2012, 06:01 PM
Bitter gray girl...sshh

You only wish you knew 1% of what I know about basketball.

Get a clue gray-girl.
This post is inaccurate.

I'm not gray, nor am I a girl.

I rarely wish, and when I do, I drink Dos Equis.

I don't know what you mean by get a clue.

Clown troll is clownish.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 06:05 PM
I just find it hilarious how you have 65 thousand posts and all of them have to do with the Toro's, the D-League draft and Toro away games online.Totally false. Though I can't make a Toro post without your following me around like the fanboy you are.

When it's blatantly obvious that the D-Leage has done literally nothing for the Spurs during it's existence.More or less true. Sorry people are asking me for my take about a Spurs player and not you, "The Basketball Guy." Maybe if you posted about basketball every once in awhile and not about me, someone might ask you for a take someday.

You should try being more productive with your time IMO.And what are you doing with your time? Responding to Toros threads and posting about me! :lmao IMO

EricD
01-31-2012, 06:05 PM
This post is inaccurate.

I'm not gray, nor am I a girl.

I rarely wish, and when I do, I drink Dos Equis.

I don't know what you mean by get a clue.

Clown troll is clownish.

I've read your takes before plenty of times.

And your takes suck for the most part.

Interrohater
01-31-2012, 06:06 PM
I've read your post before plenty of times.

Your takes suck for the most part.
I have no idea who you are.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 06:08 PM
I have no idea who you are.He's only really known for responding to my posts about the Toros.

Interrohater
01-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Anyway, not to hijack a thread because I get suckered into a pissing match with a boy who can't piss.

I actually appreciate Chump's takes. If I were living in Austin I'd go to the Toros games as well. It's basketball and it's interesting to see if there are any talents out there who may one day make it to the pro's. Danny Green played there, no? He looks okay I think.

jjktkk
01-31-2012, 06:11 PM

Yea, kinda sad EricaD never has a basketball take. Not many of on here have his
special kind of basketball skill set. Would love to ask him how many nerf balls he goes thru in a normal pickup game, and if hes broken any Nerf rims?

EricD
01-31-2012, 06:11 PM
Totally false. Though I can't make a Toro post without your following me around like the fanboy you are.

My post count doesn't correlate to this clueless notion. Try again.

More or less true. Sorry people are asking me for my take about a Spurs player and not you, "The Basketball Guy." Maybe if you posted about basketball every once in awhile and not about me, someone might ask you for a take someday.

Like I said, I'm like the Van Gundy's of this board. I'm very under the radar and hardly ever post my takes because time doesn't allow me to unfortunately.

I'm a struggling college student trying to pay for my college, I don't have time nor will I ever find the time to follow the Toros like I would follow my kids.

And what are you doing with your time? Responding to Toros threads and posting about me! :lmao IMO

300 posts vs. 65,000 posts... You do the math D-Leaguer.

SenorSpur
01-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Of course Thomas has some potential. It would be nice if he can bulk up a bit without losing much speed or hops. It sure looks like the Spurs want to find out what he can do offensively. He was getting the force-feed treatment through much of the game. I think he may already have an edge on someone like Lou Amundson because he has something resembling an offensive game.

I understand that Thomas has a penchant for shot-blocking. I'm curious to know whether these blocks are usually from the weakside or whether he gets his share from challenging the shots of the opposing player?

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 06:15 PM
My post count doesn't correlate to this clueless notion. Try again.

Like I said, I'm like the Van Gundy's of this board. I'm very under the radar and hardly ever post my takes because time doesn't allow me to unfortunately.

I'm a struggling college student trying to pay for my college, I don't have time nor will I ever find the time to follow the Toros like I would follow my kids.You're struggling alright.

People know who the Van Gundys are.

No one knows who you are. Only that you have 300 posts that come immediately after my D-League posts.

EricD
01-31-2012, 06:17 PM
Here are threads that I've started that I was right about.

I post more than you guys think.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168210

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168905

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 06:18 PM
I understand that Thomas has a penchant for shot-blocking. I'm curious to know whether these blocks are usually from the weakside or whether he gets his share from challenging the shots of the opposing player?He was getting both today. He's not really an emphatic swatting blocker and I think that's why some don't get counted.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Here are threads that I've started that I was right about.

I post more than you guys think.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168210

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168905Wow.

Play Splitter?

Bold. I wonder why people don't ask you for your takes.

EricD
01-31-2012, 06:27 PM
Wow.

Play Splitter?

Bold. I wonder why people don't ask you for your takes.

Same reason why the Van Gundy's didn't step into a head coaching job in the NBA straight out of college #knowoneknew #earningyourstripes #chumpneedstogetaclue.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Same reason why the Van Gundy's didn't step into a head coaching job in the NBA straight out of college #knowoneknew #earningyourstripes #chumpneedstogetaclue.So it's like most NBA head coaches out there.

Again, bold and unique. #stillhaveyoupostinginatorosthread #stillnobasketballtakesfromyou

EricD
01-31-2012, 06:32 PM
So it's like most NBA head coaches out there.

Again, bold and unique. #stillhaveyoupostinginatorosthread

I'm actually working towards my education degree and hoping to latch on a college team and work my way up.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm actually working towards my education degree and hoping to latch on a college team and work my way up.So posting about me in a D-League thread is the absolute best use of your time. #reversingthewhip #waitingforausefultake

MaNu4Tres
01-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Spurs have a week to decide whether or not to keep him for the year correct?

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 06:35 PM
Spurs have a week to decide whether or not to keep him for the year correct?February 10. He could play up to three more games for the Toros to evaluate him.

timvp
01-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Thomas had a pretty good game off the bench. He probably got closer to five blocks, but some of them were subtle enough for statisticians to miss. A bit more polished offesnsively than I thought he would be, especially since he was getting double teamed most of the time he got the ball. Showed some nice footwork on the block and hit at least one jumper beyond 16 feet. A few weak finishes at the basket, missed defensive assignments and boxout failures, but nothing that can't be fixed.

Thanks for the info. Might watch one of his games.

I wonder if the Spurs have sent one of their scouts to keep an eye on him or do they simply trust the Toros coaching staff. I'd think they are paying extra close attention since a decision needs to be made soon.

EricD
01-31-2012, 06:39 PM
So posting about me in a D-League thread is the absolute best use of your time. #reversingthewhip #waitingforausefultake

300 posts vs. 65,000 posts #statsdontlie

MaNu4Tres
01-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the clarification. :tu

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the info. Might watch one of his games.

I wonder if the Spurs have sent one of their scouts to keep an eye on him or do they simply trust the Toros coaching staff. I'd think they are paying extra close attention since a decision needs to be made soon.Didn't see anyone I knew. A lot of times RC and Ferry will be there.

300 posts vs. 65,000 posts #statsdontlieI graduated a long time ago. I'm not struggling anymore. #sorry

timvp
01-31-2012, 06:46 PM
Wait, so there's a poster who is spending time arguing with ChumpDumper whose thesis is ChumpDumper wastes too much time watching the Toros? I must be missing something here . . .

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Wait, so there's a poster who is spending time arguing with ChumpDumper whose thesis is ChumpDumper wastes too much time watching the Toros? I must be missing something here . . .I tried to tell him, but he doesn't catch on quickly.

EricD
01-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Wait, so there's a poster who is spending time arguing with ChumpDumper whose thesis is ChumpDumper wastes too much time watching the Toros? I must be missing something here . . .

No. Thesis is he's ST's Mark Stein of the D-League which is quite humorous to me. Just my three cents for what it's worth.

Wasting time watching the Toro's is only a segment of it.

It is what it is. Love your grades though timvp and glad you're doing better. We fans owe a lot to you and Kori. So happy to hear you got your health back. :tu

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 06:58 PM

I don't have kiss-asses asking me anything because I'm grey for the time being, although I'm going to work my butt off to get black and bold whenever time allows me to post more.
Love your grades though timvp and glad you're doing better. We fans owe a lot to you and Kori. So happy to hear you got your health back. :tuYou can't have kiss-asses asking you for takes while you are kissing ass yourself.

jjktkk
01-31-2012, 06:59 PM
I tried to tell him, but he doesn't catch on quickly.

ace3g
02-01-2012, 07:53 PM
24writer 24writer
"That’s why we put Malcolm down in Austin, because he’s going to become a better player there"-Coach Pop on Malcolm Thomas to #Toros

24writer 24writer
Pop on Thomas continued: "quicker than listening to me talking in timeouts. So he’s going to play, so it’s important"

Darkwaters
02-01-2012, 11:32 PM
I went to a Toros game (much thanks to chump helping me with that too) back in late 2008. It was actually a pretty good time. Obviously the level of basketball is much lower, and the venue feels somewhere between a small-town college and a high school...but it's still 5x5 basketball and has some good athletes going.

I actually had courtside seats and watched the infamous season-ending Mahinmi ankle sprain that year.

Anyways, the Toros are definitely a different animal and a way lower level of competition, but they're still a subordinate entity of the Spurs and are utilized frequently. I appreciate having chump around at the games to let us know when something is happening that might affect the big club.

SenorSpur
02-02-2012, 01:27 AM
With Tim leaving everything on the court versus the Rockets, I would imagine that Pop will sit him versus the lowly Hornets. If that is indeed the case, what are the chances that Thomas will get the call up for some action in Thursday's game?

angelbelow
02-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Yea, kinda sad EricaD never has a basketball take. Not many of on here have his
special kind of basketball skill set. Would love to ask him how many nerf balls he goes thru in a normal pickup game, and if hes broken any Nerf rims?

TBH there are plenty of posters who just make a bunch of empty posts. Its the ones that have 10k+ that are truly sad. (Not directed at anyone in the thread, just a general observation.)

timvp
02-02-2012, 01:41 AM
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20120201/RGVAUS/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021100190

Looks like Thomas had 7 points, 10 rebounds, 1 block and 5 turnovers tonight. Those stats probably aren't helping his chances of sticking around.

jjktkk
02-02-2012, 02:12 AM
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20120201/RGVAUS/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021100190

Looks like Thomas had 7 points, 10 rebounds, 1 block and 5 turnovers tonight. Those stats probably aren't helping his chances of sticking around.

Like the 10 boards. Guess it all depends how the Spurs view Thomas. Are they willing to coach em up, knowing he probably won't be able to contribute this year, or is Thomas just another big prospect going thru the Spur's revolving door and on to another locale?

jjktkk
02-02-2012, 02:14 AM
TBH there are plenty of posters who just make a bunch of empty posts. Its the ones that have 10k+ that are truly sad. (Not directed at anyone in the thread, just a general observation.)

Very true. Most of those 10K plus posters are downstairs. I was just riding this particular guy, because 99% of his takes are weak ass attempts at trolling.

ChumpDumper
02-02-2012, 02:53 AM
I don't think Thomas is going to see the kind of opposing lineups he faced tonight. It was an annoying mix four guards for long stretches. Most of his TOs seemed to come from getting stripped by double teams when he tried to post up. He does need to close out on shooters better, but everyone on every team I follow needs to work on that.

SenorSpur
02-02-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't think Thomas is going to see the kind of opposing lineups he faced tonight. It was an annoying mix four guards for long stretches. Most of his TOs seemed to come from getting stripped by double teams when he tried to post up. He does need to close out on shooters better, but everyone on every team I follow needs to work on that.

Hey Chump, as you read the "tea leaves" on this guy, and possibly what the FO is thinking here, do you think the Spurs view him as a keeper? Do you believe they're willing to "coach him up" into being a possible rotation guy? Or is it just too early to tell?

ChumpDumper
02-02-2012, 12:55 PM
If the criteria is to simply justify his cost and current roster spot for this season, Malcolm will probably be waived. He hasn't really shown enough for me to think he'd really help this year. The Spurs have kept projects in the past though, and I can't think of anyone else available who fits the description of athletic shot blocking prospect except maybe Keith Benson, who just started playing in the D-League last week. So they might just keep him the way they kept Da'Sean Butler last year if the budget allows.

Bruno
02-04-2012, 06:02 AM
4 points, 1 rebound and 1 foul in 21 min:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20120203/AUSCTN/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021100198

I looks more and more that Thomas's days as a Spurs are numbered. He must be waived before Tuesday if Spurs don't want to pay him for the full year.

If he is waived, Spurs will even more need to add a bigman. They have targeted Przybilla and Martin but haven't succeed at getting them. I like Etan Thomas as 5th big provided he is in a decent shape. Another solution would be to wait unit the trade deadline and either do a little trade or sign a player waived by a lottery team.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-04-2012, 09:59 AM
They might have just been "taking a look" with an eye towards a summer league invite. I doubt they want to pay double minimum, with tax, to keep him the rest of the season.

underdawg
02-04-2012, 10:07 AM
4 points, 1 rebound and 1 foul in 21 min:
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/20120203/AUSCTN/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp2021100198

I looks more and more that Thomas's days as a Spurs are numbered. He must be waived before Tuesday if Spurs don't want to pay him for the full year.

If he is waived, Spurs will even more need to add a bigman. They have targeted Przybilla and Martin but haven't succeed at getting them. I like Etan Thomas as 5th big provided he is in a decent shape. Another solution would be to wait unit the trade deadline and either do a little trade or sign a player waived by a lottery team.

looks like the Toros really miss Eric Dawson - they've fallen off a bit since he left.

Spurs can try and find a vet, but the chance that they're in shape is going to be risky. Sounds like a lot of teams have reached out to Pryzbilla (Atlanta the most recent) but it doesn't sound like he wants to play.

I'd still like to see the Spurs bring in a young big in the hope that they find someone that has a future with the Spurs. Getting a big in FA or in the draft has been almost impossible for the Spurs and I'm not sure that will change. Greg Smith with the Vipers is the guy I'd like to see them bring in - he has adequate skills and he has some size too.

I also don't think it would be a bad idea to take a look at Manny Harris for a potential guard before Cleveland signs him.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-04-2012, 11:43 AM
looks like the Toros really miss Eric Dawson - they've fallen off a bit since he left.

Spurs can try and find a vet, but the chance that they're in shape is going to be risky. Sounds like a lot of teams have reached out to Pryzbilla (Atlanta the most recent) but it doesn't sound like he wants to play.

I'd still like to see the Spurs bring in a young big in the hope that they find someone that has a future with the Spurs. Getting a big in FA or in the draft has been almost impossible for the Spurs and I'm not sure that will change. Greg Smith with the Vipers is the guy I'd like to see them bring in - he has adequate skills and he has some size too.

I also don't think it would be a bad idea to take a look at Manny Harris for a potential guard before Cleveland signs him.

If they bring in a young big, it will likely be in the off season, There is just NO time to practice and teach, and SA doesn't run a system you can learn on the fly. There's also the factor of the tax doubling the salary. If they weren't willing to go 1.5M on Anderson, I doubt they'd do that for an unknown big.

underdawg
02-04-2012, 11:57 AM
If they bring in a young big, it will likely be in the off season, There is just NO time to practice and teach, and SA doesn't run a system you can learn on the fly. There's also the factor of the tax doubling the salary. If they weren't willing to go 1.5M on Anderson, I doubt they'd do that for an unknown big.

They might not have a choice, but moving blair or anderson for a pick would help. It's very hard to imagine the Spurs being able to survive in the playoffs with this front court.

Let's say that OKC, LAC, LAL, DEN and DAL are your West Conf. contenders - with maybe the exception of DAL, the Spurs don't match up very well with those front courts.

Darkwaters
02-04-2012, 01:42 PM

I don't think the issue with JA was so much about the price tag as much as the fact that it would apply against their cap space this summer.

hoopdreams11
02-07-2012, 12:07 AM
Thomas had six blocks tonight

Mel_13
02-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Today is the deadline to cut Thomas. If he survives the day his contract will be guaranteed for the rest of the season.

Mr.Bottomtooth
02-07-2012, 11:06 AM
drew_48moh Andrew A. McNeill
The #Spurs placed Malcolm Thomas on waivers. If thy didn't waive Thomas by Friday, his full salary for the season would be guaranteed.

DPG21920
02-07-2012, 11:07 AM
I wonder why no team has taken a flier on Ajinca?

ChumpDumper
02-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Thomas looks like one of those guys who might be picked up near the end of the season to secure his rights for summer league and training camp to see if he can develop further. He simply didn't produce enough to justify guaranteed money at this point.

There may be some more auditions in the coming months, but I can't think of any young guy that really showed more potential considering the Spurs' needs. Still a few vets out there that could be useful, and maybe more coming through buyouts, etc.