PDA

View Full Version : Is Pop Senile Or Seeing the "BIG PICTURE"?

Calispursfan11
01-30-2012, 09:34 PM
I've heard suggestion here that at the expense of a better record early on, Pop is trying to teach the young-uns and do other constructive things in order for better ultimate results this season and beyond. That said, do you think Pop's apparent lack of logic in coaching (particularly with what often seems like inexplicable substitution patterns) stems from his wise observance of the "Big Picture" or true senility?

Mal
01-30-2012, 09:37 PM
In Poland we have a saying for such question - "chuj wie" :)

Nathan89
01-30-2012, 09:39 PM
I like how Pop saw the "Big Picture" last year and didn't play Tiago. Then come game 5 of the playoffs he decides to play him. Knowing that he had to go to Tiago last year when it counts he comes back this year and continued fucking over Tiago/the team.

Calispursfan11
01-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Worse yet, I wonder if he is just stubborn and refuses to recognize Tiago's true worth. That would be worse than making decisions or not playing him due to being senile. Remember he always gives Tiago double-edged "praise" with comments like "he's a hard worker but he's not going to average more than 5 points per game" yada yada, and comparing him to Oberto. While Oberto was a blue collar, smart player with limited offensive skills and good for those purposes, I think comparing Tiago to him and saying that Oberto's skill level is about the ceiling for his abilities is a bit of an insult to Tiago.

Calispursfan11
01-30-2012, 09:46 PM
In Poland we have a saying for such question - "chuj wie" :)

Que?

Calispursfan11
01-30-2012, 09:47 PM
I like how Pop saw the "Big Picture" last year and didn't play Tiago. Then come game 5 of the playoffs he decides to play him. Knowing that he had to go to Tiago last year when it counts he comes back this year and continued fucking over Tiago/the team.

N89, see the response right below your post - I was responding to you but forgot to quote you.

Fabbs
01-30-2012, 09:50 PM
playoff results give an indication?

Senility or astardeness stubbornea power trippolia

Mal
01-30-2012, 10:20 PM
Que?

Translate into "dick knows" , which means nobody know correct answer for that.

Fabbs
01-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Translate into "dick knows" , which means nobody know correct answer for that.
Could that mean Jefferson knows? :lol

DMC
01-30-2012, 10:30 PM
It depends. If we won, Pop's seeing the big picture. If we lost, Pop is senile.

DesignatedT
01-30-2012, 10:31 PM
playoff results give an indication?

Senility or astardeness stubbornea power trippolia

Or it could be the fact that all the players are getting older.

Not to mention injuries. Manu not being healthy for any one of those playoff runs. Including completely out in 09.

Calispursfan11
01-30-2012, 10:32 PM
It depends. If we won, Pop's seeing the big picture. If we lost, Pop is senile.

LOL, very observant my friend. The masses are indeed fickle.

Rummpd
01-30-2012, 10:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerrankings

Pop does some things wrong but a lot right overall:

Spurs going into the Memphis win have the 2nd hardest SOS 0.054) (LAL slightly harder) and have played 11/22 on the road and are 13 and 9 without Manu who early in the year was for several games leading the league in PER and was playing incredibly well. They sit in the pack of teams like the defending champs with some irregular play and yet have played better than some other teams that have arguebly fallen off more, i.e., Boston and potentially LAL. Spurs are fine and Pop is starting to rotate the bigs more effectively (although he can do more to get Splitter in there more) but he is doing a fine job coaching and Spurs are on track to make the playoffs and be in the hunt for a top 4 seed. No worries.

Obstructed_View
01-30-2012, 10:36 PM
A lot of the young guys are playing at this point. I'm much less concerned about the Spurs' current record as a result. If I'm going to give Pop credit for seeing the big picture, this is the year above all others in recent years.

Calispursfan11
01-30-2012, 10:37 PM

Spurs going into the Memphis win have the 2nd hardest SOS 0.054) (LAL slightly harder) and have played 11/22 on the road and are 13 and 9 without Manu who early in the year was for several games leading the league in PER and was playing incredibly well. They sit in the pack of teams like the defending champs with some irregular play and yet have played better than some other teams that have arguebly fallen off more, i.e., Boston and potentially LAL. Spurs are fine and Pop is starting to rotate the bigs more effectively (although he can do more to get Splitter in there more) but he is doing a fine job coaching and Spurs are on track to make the playoffs and be in the hunt for a top 4 seed. No worries.

I didn't see the game tonight but checked the box score and saw that Splitter didn't even get 15 mins tonight. Is there an explanation for that? He didn't seem to be in foul trouble. Was it because Bonner was hot? Matchups? Retribution for Tiago cooling off in the last game a bit? I guess it was a pretty good road win regardless, but I'm just curious why Splitter dropped off from almost 30 mpg to 15 this time.

Obstructed_View
01-30-2012, 10:38 PM
I didn't see the game tonight but checked the box score and saw that Splitter didn't even get 15 mins tonight. Is there an explanation for that? He didn't seem to be in fould trouble. Was it because Bonner was hot? Matchups? Retribution for Tiago cooling off in the last game a bit? I guess it was a pretty good road win regardless, but I'm just curious why Splitter dropped off from almost 30 mpg to 15 this time.

The Spurs were winning going away. Duncan was getting garbage minutes. Pop's probably expecting to lean on Splitter pretty heavily during the next two games.

Rummpd
01-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Hope the above is true.....Splitter needs to get up more consistently to 20 -25 a game at a minimum then all is good as far as I am concerned right now. Pop probablly riding Bonner's hot shooting and also Blair deserves some run after his good defense on Dirk but both should never be on the floor for extended periods at the same time period!

Calispursfan11
01-30-2012, 10:42 PM
A lot of the young guys are playing at this point. I'm much less concerned about the Spurs' current record as a result. If I'm going to give Pop credit for seeing the big picture, this is the year above all others in recent years.

I am leaning toward this conclusion, and really hope you're right.

Calispursfan11
01-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Hope the above is true.....Splitter needs to get up more consistently to 20 -25 a game at a minimum then all is good as far as I am concerned right now. Pop probablly riding Bonner's hot shooting and also Blair deserves some run after his good defense on Dirk but both should never be on the floor for extended periods at the same time period!

True. The Blair/Bonner dynamic duo could be close to the worst defensive frontline twosome in the league. It's layup central for the other team when those two are in together.

Splits
01-30-2012, 10:53 PM
I didn't see the game tonight but checked the box score and saw that Splitter didn't even get 15 mins tonight. Is there an explanation for that? He didn't seem to be in foul trouble. Was it because Bonner was hot? Matchups? Retribution for Tiago cooling off in the last game a bit? I guess it was a pretty good road win regardless, but I'm just curious why Splitter dropped off from almost 30 mpg to 15 this time.

This is senile.

Someone who doesn't care enough to watch the game checks Splitter's line from his phone while riding the Via bus, and then finds the first thread on ST after the Spurs blowout their arch foe by 20 on the road, and turns it into a Splitter thread.

Hilarious.

All My Splitter
The Days of our Splitters
General Splitter
The Young and the Splitter
The Bold, Beautiful, and the Splitter

Obstructed_View
01-30-2012, 11:00 PM
I am leaning toward this conclusion, and really hope you're right.

I hope our hopes aren't dashed later on.

Calispursfan11
01-30-2012, 11:09 PM
This is senile.

Someone who doesn't care enough to watch the game checks Splitter's line from his phone while riding the Via bus, and then finds the first thread on ST after the Spurs blowout their arch foe by 20 on the road, and turns it into a Splitter thread.

Hilarious.

All My Splitter
The Days of our Splitters
General Splitter
The Young and the Splitter
The Bold, Beautiful, and the Splitter

Did you watch the game? If my math serves me correctly an 83-73 final is a 10 point differential, not 20. Looks like you neither watched the game nor checked the box score.

therealtruth
01-30-2012, 11:23 PM

I'm not sure about that. Dirk's in a slump but when he gets going the Mavs could take off.

therealtruth
01-30-2012, 11:26 PM
I hope our hopes aren't dashed later on.

He's going to have to start Splitter by playoffs time. I have no confidence going into a 7 game series with Blair going against the allstar power forwards in the West. Tiago's defense is much better.

TD 21
01-30-2012, 11:27 PM
He can give them all the experience he wants in regular season games and to an extent it is beneficial, no question, but the playoffs are a different animal. And the truth is, some players are calm under and some aren't and no amount of experience in those situations changes that. Look at Neal and Green, for example. They're clearly comfortable in those situations, despite a limited amount of NBA experience. Then look at Bonner and Jefferson; they're not and suffice it to say, experience or lack thereof isn't the reason.

Just like he can hold Duncan to 27-28 mpg, instead of 30-31 mpg, but it's not going to make any difference. Not only was he not better in last season's playoffs compared to the previous two, he was worse. No amount of regular season rest is going to greatly alter or impact how he performs in the playoffs.

Add that to the fact that this team has been shaky on the road in hostile environments the past few seasons and it's a no brainer to pursue home court, because it's their best chance at going on a deep run. I know it didn't serve them well last season, but that was more match-up and injury related.

DMC
01-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Did you watch the game? If my math serves me correctly an 83-73 final is a 10 point differential, not 20. Looks like you neither watched the game nor checked the box score.
For intents and purposes, it was a 20pt blowout. We played prevent defense after that.

Obstructed_View
01-30-2012, 11:40 PM
He's going to have to start Splitter by playoffs time. I have no confidence going into a 7 game series with Blair going against the allstar power forwards in the West. Tiago's defense is much better.

I tend to agree, though the Duncan Splitter tandem will have to get a lot better between now and the end of the year for that to happen. I hope they get some chances to improve it, but heavy doses of Splitter regardless is what I'm counting on. The best pairing of bigs seems to be Splitter and Bonner, and I'm not ready to suggest that Duncan come off the bench.

Obstructed_View
01-30-2012, 11:41 PM

So clearly you didn't watch the game, because it was never in doubt.

Calispursfan11
01-31-2012, 12:38 AM
So clearly you didn't watch the game, because it was never in doubt.

I checked the box score but did not watch the game. I'll take your word for it that the game was never in doubt.

Calispursfan11
01-31-2012, 12:51 AM
I watched the entire game (haven't missed one) and we were up 81-61 with 6 left to play.

So what you're saying is it was essentially a 20 point blowout. Okay. I'll go along with that one I suppose. I got defensive because it seemed to me you had a problem with my missing the game, checking the box score and mentioning Tiago's playing time or something. I am in California so I don't get Spurs games unless they're on NBA TV/ESPN etc. and don't have the means right now to buy NBA League pass. My next best thing is to check the box score, which I do after every game. I don't think that makes me less of a fan, but people are entitled to their opinions. Peace.

Horse
01-31-2012, 08:16 AM
I'm not sure about that. Dirk's in a slump but when he gets going the Mavs could take off.
Fuck the mavs that game inspired we even though we lost on a screwjob. If those sorry fucks can be top 5 in pts against then we certainly can be. We can score so when the D gets in together and they've been playing better D, then we'll be right there.

ThaBigFundamental21
01-31-2012, 10:19 AM

I think it is you who didn't watch the game you clown. The Spurs were up 20 the whole second half of the game, minus the last few minutes of the 4th, when the Spurs had already won the game and were basically in a prevent mode. Don't accuse people of not watching the game when you OBVIOUSLY have no clue of what happened in the very game you are calling them out for.:nope

xmas1997
01-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Would have been a another perfect game to get Thomas in there for some valuable playing time, that is if they hadn't already shipped him off to the Toros, another stupid FO decision.

Calispursfan11
01-31-2012, 10:27 AM
I think it is you who didn't watch the game you clown. The Spurs were up 20 the whole second half of the game, minus the last few minutes of the 4th, when the Spurs had already won the game and were basically in a prevent mode. Don't accuse people of not watching the game when you OBVIOUSLY have no clue of what happened in the very game you are calling them out for.:nope

It's hilarious that people are trying to call me out for NOT watching the game when I specifically said and admitted at the outset that I did NOT watch the game but only checked the BOX SCORE afterward and was asking for insight from people like you as to why Tiago got so few minutes etc.

Calispursfan11
01-31-2012, 10:29 AM

See above.

TJastal
01-31-2012, 10:31 AM
It's hilarious that people are trying to call me out for NOT watching the game when I specifically said and admitted at the outset that I did NOT watch the game but only checked the BOX SCORE afterward and was asking for insight from people like you as to why Tiago got so few minutes etc.

There's been a rash of illiterates roaming the forum lately. Most of em blindly follow Pop.

Calispursfan11
01-31-2012, 01:51 PM
There's been a rash of illiterates roaming the forum lately. Most of em blindly follow Pop.

That's really too bad. I sincerely hope Pop knows what he's doing but as you point out, it's not good to go with the herd just for the sake of the herd.

ZoParkerHill
01-31-2012, 02:14 PM
if Dwight was smart he'd come to San Antonio, he'd be the successor to Tim Duncan when he retires and a great fan base/city to live with. :blah now we'd need someone who is comfortable with throwing lobs, we never do that :(

dunkman
01-31-2012, 02:41 PM
The Spurs are without their best player and without the backup PG. While the performance on the road is dismal this season so far, I think that few expected the team to be over 0.500 given the limitations.

Splits
01-31-2012, 05:38 PM
That's really too bad. I sincerely hope Pop knows what he's doing but as you point out, it's not good to go with the herd just for the sake of the herd.

The "herd" on this board is clearly people such as yourself and TJackass who turn every thread into a Splitter-minutes thread and no matter what happens on or off the court only care about Splitter. It is all Splitter all the time on this board, has been for over a year and a half, and it is really fucking annoying.

therealtruth
01-31-2012, 06:05 PM
I tend to agree, though the Duncan Splitter tandem will have to get a lot better between now and the end of the year for that to happen. I hope they get some chances to improve it, but heavy doses of Splitter regardless is what I'm counting on. The best pairing of bigs seems to be Splitter and Bonner, and I'm not ready to suggest that Duncan come off the bench.

The only way they will develop that chemistry is by playing together.

biskvito
01-31-2012, 06:52 PM
If Pop was keen to building Splitter's confidence it would be good for the team, but he doesn't sees much in Tiago, as he said, "not very skilled", "blue collar". The few minutes, the quick hook. I guess having worked with the great Duncan made Pop see other bigs as trash.

Obstructed_View
01-31-2012, 08:24 PM
The only way they will develop that chemistry is by playing together.

I agree, and there's plenty of time for them to learn it without having to sacrifice games. If the Splitter/Bonner pairing is dynamite going forward though, you have to leave that as is.

silverblk mystix
01-31-2012, 11:35 PM
Senile.

No question.