PDA

View Full Version : My last negative thread about Bonner

cantthinkofanything
01-31-2012, 02:55 PM
Is there a player in the NBA that hurts his team worse and gets more playing time than Matt Bonner?

(no Tony Parker jokes please)

cheguevara
01-31-2012, 03:03 PM
I gotta say Bonner looks good out there. He is arguably at the peak of his career in these last 3-4 games.

I think the fact that the guys around him now are decently athletic helps Bonner look much improved this season.

My beret is off to Comrade Bonner. May he keep fighting as he's been the last few games.

Yuixafun
01-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Lamar Odom

Glen Davis

GSH
01-31-2012, 03:05 PM
This comes just a few hours after you started another thread about how bad you think Bonner is. Were you worried that the other one would drop off the first page? For everyone's sake, I hope this really is your last thread on the subject.

cantthinkofanything
01-31-2012, 03:19 PM
This comes just a few hours after you started another thread about how bad you think Bonner is. Were you worried that the other one would drop off the first page? For everyone's sake, I hope this really is your last thread on the subject.

That's bullshit. That was yesterday. Not a few hours ago. In any event, this is the last thread I'll start about Matt Bonner. Unless it's to give him credit for doing something that really helps the team. Which I can't fucking imagine. Unless he retires or gives some money back. Or takes out one of the opposing teams' best players.

GSH
01-31-2012, 03:21 PM
That's bullshit. That was yesterday. Not a few hours ago. In any event, this is the last thread I'll start about Matt Bonner. Unless it's to give him credit for doing something that really helps the team. Which I can't fucking imagine. Unless he retires or gives some money back. Or takes out one of the opposing teams' best players.

Sorry. I guess I didn't notice it - one day and a few hours earlier. That changes everything. And I can see why none of this could have gone in that thread. Really.

cantthinkofanything
01-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Sorry. I guess I didn't notice it - one day and a few hours earlier. That changes everything. And I can see why none of this could have gone in that thread. Really.

Look...it's like quitting anything. You need that "just one more". Besides, I'd like to know the answer to the question in the OP.

My other nagging question that has never been answered is why Pop gives him so many minutes.

Blake
01-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Is there a player in the NBA that hurts his team worse and gets more playing time than Matt Bonner?

The king of the plus sign, tbh

LongtimeSpursFan
01-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Antoine Walker

elemento
01-31-2012, 04:05 PM
Toney Douglas says hi

He is like a poor's man George Hill running the point for NY.

z0sa
01-31-2012, 04:05 PM

judging by +/-, he's better than a shitload of players. Including TP, probably.

Paranoid Pop
01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Blair.

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-31-2012, 04:20 PM
John Salmons for the Kings is playing 9 more minutes per game, shooting 35% to Bonner's 45% (22% to Bonner's 42% from beyond the arc), only narrowly edges Bonner in boards, and has an assist to turnover ratio that is only barely on the positive side, and comparable PPG numbers. Efficiency rating of 6.5 to Bonner's 7.8.

What the hell did sports fans do to settle arguments before the internet? Probably hit each other with sticks and rocks I imagine.

underdawg
01-31-2012, 04:39 PM
John Salmons for the Kings is playing 9 more minutes per game, shooting 35% to Bonner's 45% (22% to Bonner's 42% from beyond the arc), only narrowly edges Bonner in boards, and has an assist to turnover ratio that is only barely on the positive side, and comparable PPG numbers. Efficiency rating of 6.5 to Bonner's 7.8.

What the hell did sports fans do to settle arguments before the internet? Probably hit each other with sticks and rocks I imagine.

Salmons is horrible this year (14 ppg in '11 & 17 ppg in '10) and his contract is a bad one given his age and expected decline in performance. Question is - as bad as Salmons is and as bad as his contract is, would the Kings move him for Bonner if the salaries matched? My guess is that they wouldn't and that should tell you all you need to know about Bonner.

Bonner's playing well recently and that helps the Spurs for the most part - his defense is still mostly bad and that's because of his ability and not because of his effort. He has to play well for the Spurs to win - they're just not good enough to win with below average role players that don't show up.

I have no hope for the Spurs ever moving Bonner, but I do have hope that they move Blair and bring in any type of big that can steal minutes away from Bonner (that's far fetched too). If that were ever to happen, Bonner would become a lot more tolerable given that he could finally be used for his true and only NBA level talent - shooting the 3 when the situation calls for it in limited minutes. Who knows - he might become more of a clutch player if given that role.

Texas_Ranger
01-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Bonner >>> Blair

MattBonnerExperience
01-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Bonner is a saint.

Spurs Brazil
01-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Blair.

Josepatches_
01-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Not really like that he's playing better last 2 games.

It means he will play more minutes.

DesignatedT
01-31-2012, 05:09 PM
Bonner > Blair.

Borosai
01-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Matty's just getting warmed up.

cantthinkofanything
01-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Not really like that he's playing better last 2 games.

It means he will play more minutes.

Right. It's a catch 22. If he plays bad during the game, it hurts the Spurs. If he plays good, it means he'll get playoff time, which hurts the Spurs.

YoMamaIsCallin
01-31-2012, 05:25 PM
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Interrohater
01-31-2012, 05:31 PM
There are none so happy as those without Bonner.

silverblk mystix
01-31-2012, 06:21 PM
Nobody in the NBA is worse than Bonner.
Nobody.

Baffling that a Hall of Fame coach is the only coach in the NBA that can't understand this.

Spurs and Mavs fan
01-31-2012, 06:48 PM
There are none so happy as those without Bonner.

The Charlotte Bobcats don't have Bonner - think they're happy?

cantthinkofanything
01-31-2012, 07:11 PM
The Charlotte Bobcats don't have Bonner - think they're happy?

They take comfort knowing that they are better than they would be if they had Bonner.

letmk
01-31-2012, 07:17 PM
I always think that Red Rocket is a serviceable bigman (or shooter, whatever you like to call him). It's just that the Spurs didn't have enough big men for the last 5 or so years and Pop puts him in a bad situation by asking him to do more than what he is capable of.

Considering his salary, age and the shooting, all in all, if put in a good situation, he is a capable 8th/9th man in a championship team. Not indispensable, but certainly useful.

SpurNation
01-31-2012, 07:18 PM

Is there a player out there that helps his team more and gets less playing time than Splitter?

Spurs and Mavs fan
01-31-2012, 07:38 PM
They take comfort knowing that they are better than they would be if they had Bonner.

You think fans of a 3-18 Charlotte team say, "Bummer, we're 3-18, but at least we don't have Matt Bonner from the San Antonio Spurs!?"

silverblk mystix
01-31-2012, 07:50 PM
You think fans of a 3-18 Charlotte team say, "Bummer, we're 3-18, but at least we don't have Matt Bonner from the San Antonio Spurs!?"

Yes. Exactly.

pgardn
01-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Anytime you have a big that must be covered at the 3 pt line he has some value. But it is mostly regular season value in slower games. When the playoffs come, and guys actually hustle while rotating on D, Bonner rushes and misses... at least so far.

Every other aspect of his game game is very poor. Rebounding, D, passing, ball handling... He does know what Pop wants and usually gets to the right spots, he just does not have the physical ability to do much once he is there.

I also think he hurts to run into, kinda bony in spots. So he is bony and can hit an open 3 with time.

SpurNation
01-31-2012, 08:43 PM
I just don't know why people want to jab Bonner being on the team for his obvious faults when it's not even his decision to get playing time.

Of course the man isn't a stud at doing other things on the court...(heck, I hate it he takes up space for another low post talent that can play D and rebound) but he does have a certain value to the team that cannot be denied and that value is not being overpaid for what it does. IF...and A Big If because of past performances in the playoffs...Bonner ever does hit shots at the same rate he hits them in the regular season...Spurs chances for winning a title look pretty good. Of course ALL the big three will have to be healthy and play at levels commensurate to previous title runs as well. So the bigger question may be found in that scenario more so than Bonner.

4>0rings
01-31-2012, 08:45 PM

Don't worry, I'll keep trucking and make Bonner sucks threads on your behalf.

jjktkk
01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Don't worry, I'll keep trucking and make Bonner sucks threads on your behalf.

Very patriotic of you. :toast

spurs10
01-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Is there anyone in the NBA that "spreads the floor" like the Red Rocket!!!???

Yuixafun
01-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Anytime you have a big that must be covered at the 3 pt line he has some value. But it is mostly regular season value in slower games. When the playoffs come, and guys actually hustle while rotating on D, Bonner rushes and misses... at least so far.

Every other aspect of his game game is very poor. Rebounding, D, passing, ball handling... He does know what Pop wants and usually gets to the right spots, he just does not have the physical ability to do much once he is there.

I also think he hurts to run into, kinda bony in spots. So he is bony and can hit an open 3 with time.

Made me chuckle.

In my head it read: So he is bony! and can hit an open three... with time.

Dex
01-31-2012, 10:52 PM
Why do I doubt that this will be your last negative thread about Bonner?

cantthinkofanything
02-01-2012, 01:05 AM
Why do I doubt that this will be your last negative thread about Bonner?

Because Bonner will continue to suck so bad. But I'll keep my word.

z0sa
02-01-2012, 01:42 AM
it's like I watch a different bonner than everyone else at ST ..

therealtruth
02-01-2012, 02:54 AM
I just don't know why people want to jab Bonner being on the team for his obvious faults when it's not even his decision to get playing time.

Of course the man isn't a stud at doing other things on the court...(heck, I hate it he takes up space for another low post talent that can play D and rebound) but he does have a certain value to the team that cannot be denied and that value is not being overpaid for what it does. IF...and A Big If because of past performances in the playoffs...Bonner ever does hit shots at the same rate he hits them in the regular season...Spurs chances for winning a title look pretty good. Of course ALL the big three will have to be healthy and play at levels commensurate to previous title runs as well. So the bigger question may be found in that scenario more so than Bonner.

Not going to happen in the playoffs. Those teams probably don't make the playoffs by consistently leaving good 3 point shooters open. Unless the team has a legitimate double team option he's not going to get open 3's in the playoffs.

Sean Cagney
02-01-2012, 03:50 AM
Bonner f n sucks, get sick after every year when he has one good game or so people in here talk him up and say okay he is decent now like it's a change and he will do better with mins later on! He is shyt, period.

Yes...............:wow:rollin:lmao

cantthinkofanything
02-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Not going to happen in the playoffs. Those teams probably don't make the playoffs by consistently leaving good 3 point shooters open. Unless the team has a legitimate double team option he's not going to get open 3's in the playoffs.

If I were coaching against the Spurs in the playoffs, I'd make sure to leave Bonner open for a couple of open 3s so he stays in the game. Knowing that I'm going to more than make up for it on rebounding and scoring on him.

silverblk mystix
02-01-2012, 11:49 AM
If I were coaching against the Spurs in the playoffs, I'd make sure to leave Bonner open for a couple of open 3s so he stays in the game. Knowing that I'm going to more than make up for it on rebounding and scoring on him.

Lionel Hollins did you one better...

He just told his guys to hack the shit out of every spur...knowing that Manu with one arm was the only Spur to actually fight back when assaulted.
He just knew that the rest of the team would wilt. (Parker and Timmy included)

He also gambled that Pop would stick with Bonner and RJ a long time before actually playing anyone with balls from the bench.

Easy coaching against Pop with his Bonner/RJ love and his stubbornly burying of Splitter on the bench.

Horse
02-01-2012, 01:57 PM
I certainly don't love Bonner and wouldn't miss him if he was gone, but I think Pop is finally figuring out role. Just play him a little less and Splitter a little more. When he's open shoot the fucking ball. If he's off take him out keep him out.

Spursfan092120
02-01-2012, 11:46 PM
http://www.sareptiles.co.za/gallery/albums/userpics/13608/setsail-for-fail-thread.jpg

letmk
02-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Look around NBA, there are not many 4th/5th big or 8th/9th players who are obviously better than Bonner. They all have flaws. Bonner becomes a liability instead of an asset only when Pop uses him as a 2nd/3rd big or 6th/7th player.

Rummpd
02-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Blair might hurt the team as much as Bonner which it makes it so inane he is the starter and both take minutes away from Splitter. Blair has tried to play better defense but games like last night with a big 0 offensively just does not cut it.

Keepin' it real
02-02-2012, 03:04 PM
I'm fine with Bonner playing significant minutes in the regular season. But in the playoffs, he should play limited minutes. Throw him in there for a heat check. If he hits his first couple of threes, leave him in. Otherwise, yank him quickly.

My lasting impression of Bonner was at game 5 against the Griz last season. We got there early, and we got to watch Bonner shooting 3s before the teams started warming up. I swear he hit about 12 out of 15 3s, and all I could say is "You better do that in the game." And of course, he goes 1 for 4, 5 points in 20 minutes. What an A$$****.

cantthinkofanything
02-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Look around NBA, there are not many 4th/5th big or 8th/9th players who are obviously better than Bonner. They all have flaws. Bonner becomes a liability instead of an asset only when Pop uses him as a 2nd/3rd big or 6th/7th player.

No doubt. If he was only getting 10 minutes a night in select spots, this would all be moot. I'm sure there'd be a lot more Bonner fans if he came in, hit a couple of threes while giving TD or Splitter a rest, then went back to the bench. But that's not what's happening. He's out there so long that he constantly gets exposed and abused. Like a runaway in a peep show.

silverblk mystix
02-02-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm fine with Bonner playing significant minutes in the regular season. But in the playoffs, he should play limited minutes. Throw him in there for a heat check. If he hits his first couple of threes, leave him in. Otherwise, yank him quickly.

My lasting impression of Bonner was at game 5 against the Griz last season. We got there early, and we got to watch Bonner shooting 3s before the teams started warming up. I swear he hit about 12 out of 15 3s, and all I could say is "You better do that in the game." And of course, he goes 1 for 4, 5 points in 20 minutes. What an A$$****.

...and you are STILL thinking it is ok for Bonner to get minutes....

...and you are STILL deluding yourself thinking that Pop will overplay Bonner in the regular season....but MAGICALLY..Pop will cut Bonners minutes in the playoffs...

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Masochists.....:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Keepin' it real
02-02-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm not saying I think Pop will cut Bonner's minutes. I'm saying he should cut Bonner's minutes.

Speaking of which, did anyone catch Pop on the replay when Bonner made that late 3 off Tony's penetration? I've never seen Pop use as much body language for the ball to go in. It's like he's thinking "Please Matty, make me look good for believing in you."

...and you are STILL thinking it is ok for Bonner to get minutes....

...and you are STILL deluding yourself thinking that Pop will overplay Bonner in the regular season....but MAGICALLY..Pop will cut Bonners minutes in the playoffs...

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Masochists.....:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

Mel_13
02-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Masochists

Ironic coming from someone who follows, and posts about, a team and a coach that bring him nothing but frustration...

silverblk mystix
02-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Ironic coming from someone who follows, and posts about, a team and a coach that bring him nothing but frustration...

Agreed.