PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili back to doing some light shooting/dribbling...

Amuseddaysleeper
01-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Via Facebook:

"Nice to start using my lefty again. I missed it! I started shooting and dribbling carefully. Can't wait."

And from the most recent MYSA article:

Though still a few weeks away from returning to the court, Ginobili is out of his post-surgery splint and has been cleared to do some basketball work with his repaired hand.

“He’s shooting mid-range shots, lefty,” coach Gregg Popovich said Monday. “He’ll be cleared to go one-on-one in a week or so.”

Ginobili remains on a timetable that should put him back on the court at some point during the Spurs’ nine-game rodeo road trip next month. Including Monday’s 83-73 victory in Memphis, the Spurs are 10-7 with Ginobili sidelined.

Maybe this wasn't thread worthy but seeing as how updates on Ginobili have been kinda slow lately I figured it was worth a post. I could've sworn he said on his twitter he should be back by Feb 10-15 range (can't find it anymore....was it all just a dream?) but what do you guys think? Still 2 weeks away?

http://www.facebook.com/ManuGinobili

ZoParkerHill
01-31-2012, 04:51 PM
i want him back healthy and to have minimal playing time. remember, playoff time is manu time! :king

GSH
01-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the update. It's good to know how things are progressing. I'd love to see him back on the floor.

Here's a couple of things to think about, while we await his return:

Efficiency (EFF) isn't the end-all stat, but it's a pretty good indicator of the contribution a player makes to his team. The Spur with the highest EFF is (was) Manu, at 20.0. (Highest in the league is LeBron, at 32.0). Second highest is Parker at 16.7, and Tim at 15.8. Think we miss Manu?

How about EFF/48 minutes? It's the same stat, adjusted for playing time. LeBron's EFF/48 is 41.05 . Manu's was 41.51 . (Second place on the Spurs is Tim, at 27.85 .) Manu's efficiency is the highest of any regular player in the league, for the amount of time he's on the floor. It's hard to overestimate how much his presence means to this team - or his absence.

* If you don't know how EFF is calculated, it's (PTS+REB+AST+STL+BLK-missed FG-missed FT-TO). In other words, it punishes players who are chuckers, and who turn the ball over a lot.

therealtruth
01-31-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the update. It's good to know how things are progressing. I'd love to see him back on the floor.

Here's a couple of things to think about, while we await his return:

Efficiency (EFF) isn't the end-all stat, but it's a pretty good indicator of the contribution a player makes to his team. The Spur with the highest EFF is (was) Manu, at 20.0. (Highest in the league is LeBron, at 32.0). Second highest is Parker at 16.7, and Tim at 15.8. Think we miss Manu?

How about EFF/48 minutes? It's the same stat, adjusted for playing time. LeBron's EFF/48 is 41.05 . Manu's was 41.51 . (Second place on the Spurs is Tim, at 27.85 .) Manu's efficiency is the highest of any regular player in the league, for the amount of time he's on the floor. It's hard to overestimate how much his presence means to this team - or his absence.

* If you don't know how EFF is calculated, it's (PTS+REB+AST+STL+BLK-missed FG-missed FT-TO). In other words, it punishes players who are chuckers, and who turn the ball over a lot.

Those numbers are from earlier on in the season and he started shooting lights out. His PER stats are probably somewhat inflated. No way he shoots 59/52/94 for the season.

cherylsteele
01-31-2012, 08:07 PM
You know it it is Pop's M.O. to err on the side of caution with injuries so the given time frames aren't really a good guideline to follow with Pop and the Spurs.

Wild Cobra Kai
01-31-2012, 08:17 PM
Via Facebook:

"Nice to start using my lefty again. I missed it! I started shooting and dribbling carefully. Can't wait."

And from the most recent MYSA article:

Though still a few weeks away from returning to the court, Ginobili is out of his post-surgery splint and has been cleared to do some basketball work with his repaired hand.

“He’s shooting mid-range shots, lefty,” coach Gregg Popovich said Monday. “He’ll be cleared to go one-on-one in a week or so.”

Ginobili remains on a timetable that should put him back on the court at some point during the Spurs’ nine-game rodeo road trip next month. Including Monday’s 83-73 victory in Memphis, the Spurs are 10-7 with Ginobili sidelined.

Maybe this wasn't thread worthy but seeing as how updates on Ginobili have been kinda slow lately I figured it was worth a post. I could've sworn he said on his twitter he should be back by Feb 10-15 range (can't find it anymore....was it all just a dream?) but what do you guys think? Still 2 weeks away?

http://www.facebook.com/ManuGinobili

Is it math or dates that confound you? It's January 31st. Two weeks from today falls right into that date range.

jestersmash
01-31-2012, 08:18 PM
I want to know whether the surgery has affected his shot or not. I wish he'd comment about it, or I wish we could see him shooting practice shots in the background of a spurs interview or something.

spurs10
01-31-2012, 08:27 PM
He sure seemed to have bounced back from his broken arm without it hurting his shooting. The hand is another matter, I know. I'll be wishing for the best, that's for sure. Thanks for posting this news, glad he's already shooting some shots with his left hand!!

Obstructed_View
01-31-2012, 08:27 PM
When Kobe gets injured, is there a timetable before he's cleared to go one on five?

Hooks
01-31-2012, 08:59 PM
I want to know whether the surgery has affected his shot or not. I wish he'd comment about it, or I wish we could see him shooting practice shots in the background of a spurs interview or something.

I'm sure it will affect his shot, itll be sore for a while, just the impact of dribbling the ball will probably hurt his hand a bit.

crc21209
01-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Great news! Can't wait to have Manu back out on the court!

SpurNation
01-31-2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the update. Always enjoy reading news about the Spurs. Especially positive news.

GSH
02-01-2012, 12:31 AM
Those numbers are from earlier on in the season and he started shooting lights out. His PER stats are probably somewhat inflated. No way he shoots 59/52/94 for the season.

Maybe. Maybe not. But on any given night...?

Just a reminder about how much he brings to this team, and how much it will mean to have him back. How much would you have loved to have him on the floor in a few of the close losses? The Spurs record would likely be more like 16-6 if he had been healthy. That would be one of the four best records in the league.

I don't know if a healthy Manu would be enough to get past OKC or Miami in a 7-game series. But most of the rest of the teams in the league are fair game if he gets back to his early-season form.

Fpoonsie
02-01-2012, 12:49 AM
“He’s shooting mid-range shots, lefty,” coach Gregg Popovich said Monday.

Damn. MySA must be really hurtin' for beat writers.

Fireball
02-01-2012, 01:22 AM
When Kobe gets injured, is there a timetable before he's cleared to go one on five?

When Kobe injures his hand, he warms up with boxing before going "one" on five :lol

Manu needs to come back to bring scoring to the starting five. We know he can be a little rusty after a stretch of not playing, so he has to play before the playoffs ... also because we need him to get to the playoffs safely

TDMVPDPOY
02-01-2012, 01:54 AM
rather sit him when we really need him, thats playoffs...

G-Dawgg
02-01-2012, 02:01 AM
I'm sure it will affect his shot, itll be sore for a while, just the impact of dribbling the ball will probably hurt his hand a bit.

I'm sure he'll be fine.. He'll probably be using some really good painkillers on gamedays....