PDA

View Full Version : All Athletics, Low Skill Team

LnGrrrR
01-31-2012, 04:51 PM
C'mon, let's hear yours. And don't pussy out by naming some shitty 31st-best starting SF in the league. Obviously, some of the players listed below have skills, but would be much lesser players without their athletic ability.

PG - Russell Westbrook (perhaps the dumbest elite PG ever)

SG - Monta Ellis (shoots 6 shots to score 8 points)

C - Dwight Howard (how many years in, and he's got what, one post move?)

SF - Lebron James (if he wasn't such a physical specimen, would he even be among the best SFs?)

PF - Amar'e Stoudemire (considering that he has no defensive skills...)

Flame on ST crew.

MattBonnerExperience
01-31-2012, 04:56 PM
C'mon, let's hear yours. And don't pussy out by naming some shitty 31st-best starting SF in the league. Obviously, some of the players listed below have skills, but would be much lesser players without their athletic ability.

SF - Lebron James (if he wasn't such a physical specimen, would he even be among the best SFs?)

Flame on ST crew.

Pretty much every player relies on athletic ability. The only "good" players left would be the 3pt speacilist.

lefty
01-31-2012, 04:57 PM
AMEN !!!!!!!

LnGrrrr with the goods

lefty
Pretty much every player relies on athletic ability. The only "good" players left would be the 3pt speacilist.
Yeah Bird was such an athlete

SHould have won the dunk contest IMO

mavs>spurs
can't really put ellis and amare on there, considering they both have pretty good offensive skills. i'd say sub griffin at the 4 and i can't even really think of a 2 who isn't skilled, if you're a guard and you aren't skilled then you probably aren't in the nba tbh.

redzero
01-31-2012, 04:59 PM
Ellis is just a chucker. He isn't an efficient scorer.

lefty
01-31-2012, 04:59 PM

Flame on ST crew.
WHat about Shaq?

Oh yeah, when he became a TOSB, nada, nothing rien du tout

MattBonnerExperience
01-31-2012, 05:00 PM
Yeah Bird was such an athlete

SHould have won the dunk contest IMO

I belive we're talking about this generation. Name me 3 current players would be elite level talent with no speed,strength, or verticle.

pass1st
01-31-2012, 05:01 PM

Like Matt "Short arms" Bonner, right?

lefty
01-31-2012, 05:01 PM
I belive we're talking about this generation. Name me 3 current players would be elite level talent with no speed,strength, or verticle.
Well in this case, it gives more weight to the fact most current players are lucky to be genetically gifted, otherwise they are shit

mavs>spurs
01-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Ellis is just a chucker. He isn't an efficient scorer.

still has damn good dribbling and shooting SKILLS though. outside of westbrook i can't really think of a guard who relies so heavily on pure athleticism. I guess maybe rondo.

MattBonnerExperience
01-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Well in this case, it gives more weight to the fact most current players are lucky to be genetically gifted, otherwise they are shit

Pretty much, that's what my original point was.

redzero
01-31-2012, 05:03 PM

Yeah, how dare professional athletes be athletically gifted?!

MattBonnerExperience
01-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Like Matt "Short arms" Bonner, right?

Why do you think I put quotations on good?

Samuel Eto'o
01-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Blake Griffin immediately comes to mind. No jumpshot, no post game, mediocre defense....

mavs>spurs
01-31-2012, 05:08 PM

I don't think the OP was saying that they couldn't have any athletic ability be it speed, strength, or jumping, I believe he was saying that some players are just superfreaks athletically with little skill outside of their physical abilities.

For example, wade and kobe are world class athletes. BUT, both are great shooters from the midrange, kobe is a great shooter from anywhere, and 2 of the best ball handlers in the league making their crossover deadly. Tim duncan didn't rely on athleticism, Dirk doesn't, Pierce doesn't. Make a little bit more sense?

dirk4mvp
01-31-2012, 05:14 PM
Speed Kills

baseline bum
01-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Steve Francis should have his number retired by this hypothetical team.

stretch
01-31-2012, 05:21 PM
I'd say take Amare out, put Blake in.

Amare has developed a nice jumper, and has incredible touch around the rim.

Axe Murderer
01-31-2012, 05:23 PM
replace lebron with marion imho

DPG21920
01-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Why do people say Blake has no jump shot? Do y'all not watch the Clips? It's not amazing but he's light years ahead of Dwight or even Amare at his stage.

DPG21920
01-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Lebron has great handles and passing and can shoot

baseline bum
01-31-2012, 05:27 PM

lol, good call

_Nam3heGXw8

Samuel Eto'o
01-31-2012, 05:27 PM

:)

BUMP
01-31-2012, 05:28 PM
tbh it's hard to put a PG on there because that's the one position that somebody who's average height can play in the NBA. Therefore they have to be extremely skilled.

I think Westbrook and Rose are the only fits.

stretch
01-31-2012, 05:32 PM
Why do people say Blake has no jump shot? Do y'all not watch the Clips? It's not amazing but he's light years ahead of Dwight or even Amare at his stage.

I'm not saying he has no jumper, just not as good as Amare's is, right now. I agree that he's way ahead of Amare/Dwight were at this point in their careers, but right now, I think Blake relies on athletic ability more than Amare does.

z0sa
01-31-2012, 05:35 PM
... LeBron James?? what? dude is ultra skilled.

mavs>spurs
01-31-2012, 05:36 PM
right now, I think Blake relies on athletic ability more than Amare does.

A hell of a lot more.

stretch
01-31-2012, 05:37 PM

This.

pass1st
01-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Why do you think I put quotations on good?

To put emphasis on Matt Bonner, the current franchise player of the Spurs

lefty
01-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Pretty much, that's what my original point was.

Yup

lefty
01-31-2012, 05:44 PM

Yup

Although his combo of speed and athleticism is pretty amazing, he will age well

MattBonnerExperience
01-31-2012, 05:48 PM
I don't think the OP was saying that they couldn't have any athletic ability be it speed, strength, or jumping, I believe he was saying that some players are just superfreaks athletically with little skill outside of their physical abilities.

For example, wade and kobe are world class athletes. BUT, both are great shooters from the midrange, kobe is a great shooter from anywhere, and 2 of the best ball handlers in the league making their crossover deadly. Tim duncan didn't rely on athleticism, Dirk doesn't, Pierce doesn't. Make a little bit more sense?
Now I do see where your coming from and respect your opinion but the title is all atleticism low skill. I wanna see some really good all skill low athleticism. But all of the players you named are atleast 30 and losing athleticism every day, mabye that's why they have these skills.

Wade and Kobe are not good shooters. Niether can hit a 3 and are really average mid range. What makes Wade so good? His
ability to explode at the basket and have his way, and Kobe is the same way. Kobe has a nice post game now, but that was absent early in his carrer when he didn't need it.

Duncan was not physically a beast, but still very amazing. He's the exception not the rule. Everyone knows he's the big fundemental.

Dirk came into the league fresh as an 18 year old kid from Germany. He tried to just out run everyone he played early on.
He realized that wasn't working eventually and finally developed some skill, but he didn't get it to an elite level when he had athleticism also.

Pierce, I don't know as much of. But I know that he didn't develop and post or midrange game until his 30's, the same time he started to slow down, coincedence?

What I'm trying to say is, great players are great because of their athleticism, or have grown skills to replace the fading skill. You do make a good point though :toast .

MattBonnerExperience
01-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Yup

Glad we're on the same page! :toast

stretch
01-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Wade and Kobe are not good shooters. Niether can hit a 3 and are really average mid range.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

lol gnsf

MattBonnerExperience
01-31-2012, 06:12 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao

lol gnsf

I'm sorry, but what does gnsf mean?

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2012, 06:21 PM
Nate Robinson

ALVAREZ6
01-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Jamario Moon
Demar Derozan

pass1st
01-31-2012, 06:27 PM

Gray named spurs fan & Kobe isn't really athletic anymore, just has small bursts of athleticism once in a while.

LnGrrrR

Mavs>spurs with the smarts

stretch

Basically that you are retarded as hell.

MattBonnerExperience
01-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Basically that you are retarded as hell.

And why? Might I ask, Kobe has .34 % 3pt shooting. That's pretty crappy. He also shoots .392 on the midrange. That's below average.

MattBonnerExperience
01-31-2012, 06:43 PM
Gray named spurs fan & Kobe isn't really athletic anymore, just has small bursts of athleticism once in a while.

I agree, and thanks for the info.

HarlemHeat37
01-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Lebron is one of the best passers in NBA history, and he has outstanding size..he has also developed a reliable mid-range jump shot, as of these last 2 seasons..

Howard relies on athleticism, but his post moves have improved enough to place him below a few other Cs, IMO..

PG- Tyreke Evans

SG- Monta Ellis

SF- Gerald Wallace

PF- Josh Smith

C- DeAndre Jordan

DMC
01-31-2012, 08:46 PM
Physical abilities is what defines most athletes tbh. Those who make it without having outstanding physical attributes are very technical, but it's a sport first and foremost.

mfanatic
01-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Westbrook, Ellis, Lebron, Amare and Howard? That team would demolish the 97' Bulls, not to mention any other team ever assembled. Every "athlete" relies on athleticism, that's why players still can play in the NBA when they hit 30+, don't be misunderstood, all NBA players have insane talent. I use to play with Jordan Farmar right when he started UCLA, a "below average" NBA player, he would drop 60 points a game on the best talent at UCLA...

Latarian Milton
01-31-2012, 08:59 PM

move like a crab w/o getting caught travelling imho

Wild Cobra Kai
01-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Blatche, tbh.

jimbo
01-31-2012, 10:25 PM
can't really put ellis and amare on there, considering they both have pretty good offensive skills. i'd say sub griffin at the 4 and i can't even really think of a 2 who isn't skilled, if you're a guard and you aren't skilled then you probably aren't in the nba tbh.

Shannon Brown

LnGrrrR
01-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Lebron is one of the best passers in NBA history, and he has outstanding size..he has also developed a reliable mid-range jump shot, as of these last 2 seasons..

Howard relies on athleticism, but his post moves have improved enough to place him below a few other Cs, IMO..

PG- Tyreke Evans

SG- Monta Ellis

SF- Gerald Wallace

PF- Josh Smith

C- DeAndre Jordan

Harlem, one of the few people to understand what the assignment was. :tu

LnGrrrR
01-31-2012, 10:28 PM
Westbrook, Ellis, Lebron, Amare and Howard? That team would demolish the 97' Bulls, not to mention any other team ever assembled. Every "athlete" relies on athleticism, that's why players still can play in the NBA when they hit 30+, don't be misunderstood, all NBA players have insane talent. I use to play with Jordan Farmar right when he started UCLA, a "below average" NBA player, he would drop 60 points a game on the best talent at UCLA...

gnsf not getting it

LnGrrrR
01-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Shannon Brown

C'mon, let's hear yours. And don't pussy out by naming some shitty 31st-best starting SF in the league.