PDA

View Full Version : NBA Contraction

Mav-elous Man
01-31-2012, 11:04 PM
I haven't heard anyone mention it in a while and I was talking about it with someone so I wanted to hear your take on it.

Anyone opposed to contraction?

Anyone for it?

Would it hurt or improve the NBA to get rid of one or a few teams?

What are your opinions on the possibility of it?

I'm not sure of the financial ramifications but I do think the on-the-court product would be better.

DMC
01-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Contraction should be based on profitability imo.

DeadlyDynasty
01-31-2012, 11:12 PM
Get rid of these teams:

New Jersey (although moving to Brooklyn may fix that)
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Orlando
Charlotte
Minnesota
LA Clippers (if the stars bolt)
Sacramento
New Orleans
Memphis

Mav-elous Man
01-31-2012, 11:12 PM
I think thats a reasonable take on it. And when you think about it, in the world of business, thats all that matters.

Giuseppe
01-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Media will never spear head such a notion. Too much money involved for them to take part in their own monetary loss. And without their cooperation and push its impossible.

DeadlyDynasty
01-31-2012, 11:15 PM
I can agree on some of these but not really Orlando, they've traditionally put out some pretty good teams and aren't nearly as lowly as some of the others on the list imho.

Indifferent fanbase though, for the most part

jjktkk
01-31-2012, 11:17 PM
No. The usual bottom dwellers like the Clips. and Grizz, have turned their franchises around. The Nets, because of their new owner, will be able to compete as well. The only really bad teams right now are the Kings and Wiz. And given how quick the Clips and Grizz turned around, Wash. and Sac. should feel optimistic that they can as well.

MattBonnerExperience
01-31-2012, 11:17 PM
It's good in theory,deeper teams, less games?, better games. But David stern won't give up. But honestly market size shouldn't matter there should be a front office contraction, smart front offices would fix everything.

ChumpDumper
01-31-2012, 11:18 PM
Clips have been profitable now matter how much they sucked.

DMC
01-31-2012, 11:19 PM
By profitability I mean to the league, not to the owners. It's the owners problem to be profitable for themselves. If the league could do better without these teams, so be it, but businesses are all about expanding. Contraction shits on some fans and that can be really bad for business. Better to allow these Richie Rich guys to lose their own money than to risk alienating long time NBA customers.

DeadlyDynasty
01-31-2012, 11:19 PM
It's good in theory,deeper teams, less games?, better games. But David stern won't give up. But honestly market size shouldn't matter there should be a front office contraction, smart front offices would fix everything.

Ultimately, you're right. If Stern won't let the WNBA die then it's safe to say he won't contract real basketball teams

DeadlyDynasty
01-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Clips have been profitable now matter how much they sucked.

This is true, kind of like the Pittsburgh Pirates in baseball. Their owners shoot for bare minimum every year and collect.

Latarian Milton
01-31-2012, 11:56 PM
true niggas ain't playin it for money, we fuckin play it for fun niggas

LnGrrrR
02-01-2012, 12:03 AM
Get rid of these teams:

New Jersey (although moving to Brooklyn may fix that)
Cleveland
Milwaukee
Orlando
Charlotte
Minnesota
LA Clippers (if the stars bolt)
Sacramento
New Orleans
Memphis

I'd keep Sacramento, Orlando, NJ, Cleveland and Milwaukee, and the Clippers, and kick out the Toronto Raptors and Washington Wizards instead. That'd put the league down to 24 teams, two conferences of 12, and two divisions of 6. Highly manageable. In fact, you could even see the divisions:

East:

Division 1: Boston, NJ, NYK, Philly, Milwaukee, Cleveland
Division 2: Miami, Orlando, Indiana, Atlanta, Detroit, Chicago

West:

Division 1: LAL, LAC, Golden State, Sacramento, Phoenix, Portland
Division 2: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, OKC, Denver, Utah

To be honest, I'd love those divisions. Detroit and Chicago would have long travel times, but the rest of the teams would be pretty decent.

Leetonidas
02-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Raptors, Wizards, Hornets, and one of either the Kings/Grizzlies/Warriors. I'm tempted to say Oakland because they have always sucked but they and the Kings franchise both have a title in their history and you can't just obliterate that. Maybe the Wolves or Bucks.

Mav-elous Man
02-01-2012, 12:07 AM
I'd keep Sacramento, Orlando, NJ, Cleveland and Milwaukee, and the Clippers, and kick out the Toronto Raptors and Washington Wizards instead. That'd put the league down to 24 teams, two conferences of 12, and two divisions of 6. Highly manageable. In fact, you could even see the divisions:

East:

West:

To be honest, I'd love those divisions. Detroit and Chicago would have long travel times, but the rest of the teams would be pretty decent.

With 24 teams the rosters would be stacked. It would be fun to watch.

DeadlyDynasty
02-01-2012, 12:11 AM

East:

West:

crofl how did I forget the Raptors?

I like your idea but Keeping the Wizards is preferable because of the DC/Baltimore market

Mav-elous Man
02-01-2012, 12:34 AM
crofl how did I forget the Raptors?

I like your idea but Keeping the Wizards is preferable because of the DC/Baltimore market

The fact that you forgot about them is the very reason why they should be gone. :lol

DeadlyDynasty
02-01-2012, 12:36 AM
The fact that you forgot about them is the very reason why they should be gone. :lol

lol, tou-che

HarlemHeat37
02-01-2012, 01:01 AM
Raptors should remain in the NBA, their problem has been an inept product and front office..the fans can easily support an NBA team, it was evident during the Carter days..

This thread has 20 posts, and I have yet to see a mention of the Bobcats..in their present form, it can be argued that they are among the worst teams in NBA history, tbh..they have yet to make the playoffs, they don't have any hope for the future, they have never displayed a decent product, at any point in their existence..

Bobcats, Hornets and Kings should be contracted..

DeadlyDynasty
02-01-2012, 01:02 AM
Raptors should remain in the NBA, their problem has been an inept product and front office..the fans can easily support an NBA team, it was evident during the Carter days..

This thread has 20 posts, and I have yet to see a mention of the Bobcats..in their present form, it can be argued that they are among the worst teams in NBA history, tbh..they have yet to make the playoffs, they don't have any hope for the future, they have never displayed a decent product, at any point in their existence..

Bobcats, Hornets and Kings should be contracted..

I mentioned the Bobcats.:nope

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-01-2012, 01:04 AM
They made the playoffs in 2010 (I think) then got swept by Orlando, so they have yet to win a playoff game :lol. I still agree with you though that they're near or right at the top of the list of teams to contract.

I also agree that the Raptors shouldn't contract just cause Bryan Colangelo is a shit general manager. They have much more fan support than plenty of other teams.

HarlemHeat37
02-01-2012, 01:06 AM
:lol what the fuck?..

I completely forgot that Charlotte made a playoffs, tbh..

Looks like they didn't build on that, at all..

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Them making the playoffs was like Detroit's 2004 title or Philadelphia's 2001 finals appearance. Larry Brown is usually able to, with every team he coaches, squeeze 1-2 seasons out where they massively overachieve and particularly play WAY better defense than they ever will again. The 2010 Bobcats were the team Larry Brown did that with in Charlotte.

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-01-2012, 01:15 AM
And yeah usually after Larry Brown gets those 1-2 seasons of massive overachieving he bolts at the very first offer he sees or the team gets tired of being micromanaged on every little thing and gradually tunes him out. That's why even though it got Charlotte a playoff birth hiring Larry Brown to coach a rebuilding team is as stupid as it gets.

Mav-elous Man
02-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Charlotte and NO are at the top of my list as well. Next is maybe Sacramento. Could you imagine the Cleveland fans if the Cavs were contracted? The Catch. The Trade. The Red-Right 88. The Drive. The Fumble. The Move. The Slip. The Decision. All of that followed up with The Contraction.

LnGrrrR
02-01-2012, 01:41 AM
I wouldn't contract the Kings... They has a memorable run in the early 00s... That's more than can be said for a lot of the fringe teams.

rayjayjohnson
02-01-2012, 04:06 AM
Need to lose 6 teams imo

bobcats
hornets
kings
all gone for sure

not sure about the other 3
pistons - too much history
suns - ditto
warriors - big market
raps - ditto
cavs - yeah, probably
bucks - senator owner
t'wolves - promising future

z0sa
02-01-2012, 05:48 AM
Contraction without additional games would greatly improve the league. Even 2-4 less teams would make the playoffs much closer IMHO

Mav-elous Man
02-01-2012, 06:33 PM
How would you do it? Who would get first dibs on the players of the contracted teams? Would they be on the open market or would there be some sort of draft type situation?

DUNCANownsKOBE
02-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Need to lose 6 teams imo

bobcats
hornets
kings
all gone for sure

not sure about the other 3
pistons - too much history
suns - ditto
warriors - big market
raps - ditto
cavs - yeah, probably
bucks - senator owner
t'wolves - promising future
The t'wolves promising future shouldn't take away from the fact that KG is the only reason that franchise has ever been relevant. They'd be right up there as a team to get rid of after the Bobcats, Hornets, and Kings are gone.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-01-2012, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't contract the Kings... They has a memorable run in the early 00s... That's more than can be said for a lot of the fringe teams.

Agreed. I think that market could still be salvaged but they need new ownership desperately. All you ever heard about the Kings during the lockout was how the Maloofs were underwater on so much of their shit in Vegas. Right now the problem isn't just that the team is terrible it's that everyone knows this isn't a rebuilding phase or anything. They're going to stay terrible unless the economy bounces back in a big way because until that happens management is not going to spend a cent more than the minimum payroll if they can. The fans showed up as long as the teams were decent.

Pelicans78
02-01-2012, 07:24 PM
All these sorry teams have had good runs here and there except for the Clippers and maybe Bobcats. Even the Hornets have had much better runs whether in Charlotte or in NOLA. They just lose their star players after a few years whether its Zo, LJ, Rice, Davis, and Paul recently.

NewcastleKEG
02-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Stern needs to realize

South = College Football. Stop adding so many teams in that region. Put the Clippers back in San Diego haha

JoeTait75
02-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Cleveland is probably the worst natural NBA market- or second-worst after Minnesota- but it has a good arena situation and a fanbase that will show up and had always shown up when the team wins. Not every fanbase can say the latter.