PDA

View Full Version : General 2012 Free Agency Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bruno
02-01-2012, 07:40 AM
2012 free agents list (http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/FreeAgents-12-13/nba-free-agents-2012-2013)

CGD
02-01-2012, 11:22 AM
After Howard, it's kind of slim picking this summer in the unrestricted FA category. There are several intriguing restricted FA though, like: Roy Hibbert, JaVale McGee, Anthony Randolph, Ryan Anderson, Jason Thompson, Nicolas Batum, Lopez bros, & Darrell Arthur.

I just don't know if the Spurs would overpay for any of them in the hopes to outbidding their currents teams. If we can't land anyone, maybe this is the year Spurs bring in some of their Euro stash, while we bide time for next year's crop of FAs.

mountainballer
02-02-2012, 06:35 PM
yes. Spurs can't get a premium FA anyhow, so they will go the Euro path.
Lorbek and maybe De Colo. and Lorbek at the level he plays right now might be the better than any NBA player the Spurs could get. for less money.
money? assuming Lorbek will get some very nice offers this summer and that he is to old to just play the "come in and prove yourself" thing, it will take a significant offer to get him, b/c this will be the most important contract of his career. something in the 3 years 10-12 million range. considering what Bonner makes, this might still be reasonable.

jesterbobman
02-02-2012, 07:23 PM
3 Years, 10 million seems reasonable, especially given what over Euro Bigs have got when they've come over. Splitter, Scola, Marc Gasol contracts seem to have set the market.

MR.SILVER&BLack
02-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Just noticed that KG will be a FA. would liked to have seen him in a spurs uniform....4 years ago. I hope he will not be a top target this offseason or Antawn Jaminson.

Jason thompson, Marreese Speights, Anthony Randolph are all restricted FA and I think spurs may be able to steal 1 away for a little more than a MLE type signing.

TDMVPDPOY
02-05-2012, 11:44 AM
how about brook lopez of the nets?? i think the nets are going to allow him test FA, just to free up cap to try and get howard...

spurs get another big....

use 2 draft picks on needs of the team...

Bruno
02-07-2012, 09:25 AM
BTW, these is a list of bigmen who will or should be available this summer:

Dwight Howard (PO)
Brook Lopez (RFA)
Roy Hibbert (RFA)
Ryan Anderson(RFA)
Javale McGee (RFA)
Lamar Odom (Partially Guaranteed)
Omer Asik (RFA)
Chris Kaman
Kevin Garnett
Antawn Jamison
Michael Beasley (RFA)
JJ Hickson (RFA)
Carl Landry
Spencer Hawes
MarcuS Camby
Kris Humphries
Brandon Bass (PO)
Boris Diaw
Jason Thompson (RFA)
Ian Mahinmi
Anthony Randolph (RFA)

Mel_13
02-07-2012, 10:18 AM
BTW, these is a list of bigmen who will or should be available this summer:

Dwight Howard (PO)
Andrew Bynum (PO)
Brook Lopez (RFA)
Roy Hibbert (RFA)
Ryan Anderson(RFA)
Javale McGee (RFA)
Lamar Odom (Partially Guarnateed)
Omer Asik (RFA)
Chris Kaman
Kevin Garnett
Antawn Jamison
Michael Beasley (RFA)
JJ Hickson (RFA)
Carl Landry
Spencer Hawes
MarcuS Camby
Kris Humphries
Brandon Bass (PO)
Boris Diaw
Jason Thompson (RFA)
Ian Mahinmi
Anthony Randolph (RFA)

Sham has Bynum as a Team Option.

Bruno
02-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Sham has Bynum as a Team Option.

Oops.

TDMVPDPOY
02-07-2012, 10:42 AM
SIGN IAN MAHINMI? lmao

CGD
02-07-2012, 01:16 PM
If Lamar become expendable this summer with Dallas trying to clear cap space for DH & JW, I'd target him.

With respect to the RFAs, I really don't see any of their current teams not matching an offer sheet with the exception of Beasley maybe.

CGD
02-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Spencer Hawes is intriguing, but I think some team is going to grossly overpay for him.

yavozerb
02-07-2012, 04:40 PM
The spurs must choose which FA big man they like and make an aggresive offer early..Some teams like Dallas or NJ well be giving max offers to elite players like Howard or WIlliams if they are available. They may be a little reluctant to match an offer if it costs them a chance to sign an elite player

CGD
02-07-2012, 06:24 PM
The spurs must choose which FA big man they like and make an aggresive offer early..Some teams like Dallas or NJ well be giving max offers to elite players like Howard or WIlliams if they are available. They may be a little reluctant to match an offer if it costs them a chance to sign an elite player

Great point. I was just reading that under the new CBA the RFA's current club has only three days to match the offer. The CBA prior to 2011 allowed for seven days.

Assuming no trade and the Nets being players for DH in the off-season... Brook Lopez anyone?

Russo21
02-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Heard Ron Arte... uhh umm, Metta World Peace i mean, may be amnestied soon. Should we try nab him?

Anonymous Cowherd
02-07-2012, 07:33 PM
^nooooooooope.

TDMVPDPOY
02-09-2012, 12:05 PM
hawks just signed erika dampier to 10 day contract...

Ditty
02-10-2012, 11:29 PM
I had a question Bruno, or whoever knows alot about our salary cap situation. If we amnesty RJ, and pick up Blair's option we we will be about $20 million under the cap with $38 million salary for 7 playesr to the $58 million max salary cap I believe...from hoopshype?

Also if that is the case, I'm not 100% sure about bird rights, but say if Duncan resigns for $8 million. Can we still sign players with that $20 million of cap space, and once we hit the $58 million max salary cap, we can resign Duncan going over the cap because we have bird rights, or whatever Duncan signs for will go against the cap room?

Hope yall get the question haha

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2012, 03:58 AM
beno udrih is not pikcin up his player option, looks like he wants out due to lack of playing time. his still on the kings right? or is bucks?

same can be said for Freddette, draft into wrong team glued with too many wing players ahead of him....

Bruno
02-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Also if that is the case, I'm not 100% sure about bird rights, but say if Duncan resigns for $8 million. Can we still sign players with that $20 million of cap space, and once we hit the $58 million max salary cap, we can resign Duncan going over the cap because we have bird rights, or whatever Duncan signs for will go against the cap room?

Re-signing Duncan will count against the cap room. If Duncan re-sign for $8M per year, Spurs will have $8M less in cap space.

Uriel
02-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Re-signing Duncan will count against the cap room. If Duncan re-sign for $8M per year, Spurs will have $8M less in cap space.

I think the question was if it's possible under the current CBA rules to FIRST use our $20 million in cap room to sign a max free agent and THEN re-sign Duncan for $8 million despite being over the cap because we have his Bird rights.

Mel_13
02-11-2012, 01:58 PM
I think the question was if it's possible under the current CBA rules to FIRST use our $20 million in cap room to sign a max free agent and THEN re-sign Duncan for $8 million despite being over the cap because we have his Bird rights.

No.

Unsigned free agents are assigned a "cap hold" figure that is based on their status and previous salary according to rules in the CBA. That figure is counted in determining the amount of available cap space.

In Duncan's case that figure is about 22 million dollars. So the Spurs will not have any available cap space to sign free agents until they resolve Duncan's situation. This can be done in one of two ways:

1. Sign him to a new deal and his new salary becomes his cap figure.

2. Renounce his rights and he then counts for zero against the cap. In that case, they could sign other free agents with that cap space, but any new deal for Duncan would have to fit under the cap.

There is at least one player on the Spurs that can be managed in the way you suggest. The Spurs can make Danny Green a Restricted Free Agent by tendering a Qualifying Offer of just over 1 million dollars. That will be also be his cap figure during the free agency period. If the Spurs have cap space they can use it and then sign Green later on using his Bird Rights to a salary much higher than the QO. Miami did just this with Joel Anthony during the summer of 2010.

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2012, 10:35 PM
green is worth more then 1m....no way his stayin here for 1m

BackHome
02-15-2012, 11:17 PM
We suck at attracting free agents from the U.S so just get the deal done and sign Lobrek to a 3 year deal. Also look at using Blair and Anderson as trade bate and either moving up a few numbers or getting a early second round pick.

Anderson is expendable as Adam Hanga will be replacing him and so if we can sign Lobrke look at drafting...Jeff Taylor SF "Amnesty RJ".....If we can't sign a big then draft Arnett Moultrie 6'11 PF/C, or Patrick Young 6'9 PF.

If we can get a early second round pick I would take a gamble on a foreign player either Tomas Satoransky PG/SG 6'6 or Ceasar Lima...6'10 PF..

yavozerb
02-16-2012, 08:56 AM
We suck at attracting free agents from the U.S so just get the deal done and sign Lobrek to a 3 year deal. Also look at using Blair and Anderson as trade bate and either moving up a few numbers or getting a early second round pick.

Anderson is expendable as Adam Hanga will be replacing him and so if we can sign Lobrke look at drafting...Jeff Taylor SF "Amnesty RJ".....If we can't sign a big then draft Arnett Moultrie 6'11 PF/C, or Patrick Young 6'9 PF.

If we can get a early second round pick I would take a gamble on a foreign player either Tomas Satoransky PG/SG 6'6 or Ceasar Lima...6'10 PF..

Moultrie and Young will be gone by the time the spurs have there 1st pick and the same can be said for Satoranky on a 2nd rd pick...Hard to say who will be around late in the 1st, but odds are, if they are a player you like alot, they too will be gone by the late 1st..

outmap
03-14-2012, 08:51 PM
I'd love to have Chris Douglas Roberts in a Spurs uniform as back-up to Kahwi Leonard at small forward once Richard Jefferson is amnestied in the off-season, great talent and cheap.

TDMVPDPOY
03-20-2012, 06:51 AM
with our current roster

when it comes to renewing contracts, if duncan + ginoboli and jax all took half, while some of the other players get a slight increase....can we still sign d12 as a FA?

ShoogarBear
05-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Javale McGee (RFA)

*sigh* Guess this one's off the table now.

TDMVPDPOY
05-09-2012, 11:54 PM
*sigh* Guess this one's off the table now.

he wants 14m....dont thinkn his worth 14m

ShoogarBear
05-10-2012, 07:40 PM
he wants 14m....dont thinkn his worth 14m

Nobody's giving him anything close to that. And what they will give, Denver will match now.

Mel_13
05-15-2012, 08:51 AM
The N.B.A. players union is asking an arbitrator to clarify certain free-agent rights in a case that could immeasurably benefit the Knicks this summer, according to several people involved in the process.

The case concerns what are known as “Bird rights,” which allow a player to re-sign with his team, without regard to the salary cap. The league contends those rights are lost when a player changes teams through waivers. The union is challenging that interpretation.

If the union prevails, the Knicks would be able to re-sign both Jeremy Lin and Steve Novak, their two top free agents, despite cap constraints. They would also retain a $5 million salary slot — known as the mid-level exception — for use on another player, possibly J.R. Smith, who might opt out of his Knicks contract.

But if the union’s challenge fails, the Knicks will probably lose Novak and possibly Smith, when free agency opens in July. And they will have little ability to sign a significant free agent — such as Steve Nash — once they re-sign Lin.

The union sent a letter seeking arbitration on Monday and hopes to have the matter settled by the time free agency opens on July 1. The union and the league must first select an arbitrator.

The case could also affect J.J. Hickson of the Portland Trail Blazers and Chauncey Billups of the Los Angeles Clippers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/sports/basketball/union-seeks-clarity-on-bird-rights-knicks-could-benefit.html?_r=1&smid=tw-share

coyotes_geek
05-15-2012, 11:09 AM
At issue is whether a player retains his Bird rights when he changes teams through a waiver claim, as Lin, Novak, Hickson and Billups did this season.

The union contends that a player claimed on waivers should retain all contractual benefits, as he does when he is traded. The league disagrees, citing a specific clause in the labor agreement that indicates Bird rights are lost when a player is waived, even if another team claims him.

From the link above....

lurker23
05-15-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the story Mel_13 and coyotes_geek, I was reading about that yesterday. I don't really see how the union has a case, since it sounds pretty black-and-white in the CBA. I know the union will always see things through the players' lenses, but in my mind the Bird rights have never been about giving the player more contractual rights, but rather giving teams a chance to retain their players and go over the cap if they keep their players long enough.

Richie
05-16-2012, 10:00 AM
So how much do you guys think a team will offer Green as an RFA, or will he not get any offers?

coyotes_geek
05-16-2012, 10:53 AM
There's no telling. I'd think that most teams would pretty much write off Green as unattainable, but it only takes one to drive up the cost for the Spurs. Since any team interested in Green would have to overpay to get him, any offer he gets from another team would probably be for most of, if not all of, the nontax MLE ($5M). Not necissarily saying I think Green will get offered that much, but it sure wouldn't shock me.

There are some restricted free agents who you let test the market and bring you back an offer sheet, but I don't think Green is one of those guys. If I'm Pop/RC I try to get Green to agree to something in the range of Bonner money ($3-$3.5) before the bigger name FA SG's get signed.

Every team in the league wants a 6-6 SG who can shoot the 3 and defend on their roster. I don't think the Spurs should gamble that no one out of the other 29 teams will think Green is worth pursuing. Picking one example, are there any doubts Miami would love to have a Danny Green on their roster right about now?

Ditty
05-16-2012, 02:31 PM
My guess is that Green will get MLE type money if he continues guarding the likes of Chris Paul, Westbrook, and Wade pretty well. I think he will get Trevor Ariza type of attention as he got back in 09.

vjcchs12
05-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Ryan Anderson would be a sweet addition to start at power forward if we could some how get him after re-signing Duncan at a lower salary.

Bruno
05-24-2012, 12:43 AM
http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/05/21/landesberg-doesnt-regret-leaving-school-early/

Landesberg has upcoming workouts with the Cleveland Cavaliers and San Antonio Spurs

IIRC, Sylven Landesberg was/is mountainballer's guy.

BackHome
05-25-2012, 09:53 PM
So who is better him or Adam Hanga?

Bruno
06-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Free agent profiles will be made in the next few days. :depressed

Richie
06-07-2012, 03:17 AM
How much do you think Andre Miller will get in free agency? We probably don't have a chance if Diaw takes the full MLE

elemento
06-07-2012, 06:09 AM
Andre Miller would be an amazing backup for Parker, but i have the feeling he is still a capable starter in this league. He will get full MLE IMO

SOMA Spur
06-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Does anyone know the date Patty Mills has to opt in for the final year of his contract? (I doubt he opts ins, but I like the kid so I hope he does.)

If that date is before the draft I imagine that's the first domino that will fall this offseason. If he opts in we have out backup PG, if he doesn't, we move on to Nando or someone else.

Also is there some place on the web that lists the Waiver wire order for NBA teams...curious where we stand.

Final thought, just looked at some amnesty candidates from other teams - some interesting options out there - Elton Brand, Tyrus Thomas, Rashard Lewis, Birdman, a few others. Another wildcard, along with the draft and FA, to think about over the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions above.

Andthentherewas21
06-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Does anyone know the date Patty Mills has to opt in for the final year of his contract? (I doubt he opts ins, but I like the kid so I hope he does.)

If that date is before the draft I imagine that's the first domino that will fall this offseason. If he opts in we have out backup PG, if he doesn't, we move on to Nando or someone else.

Also is there some place on the web that lists the Waiver wire order for NBA teams...curious where we stand.

Final thought, just looked at some amnesty candidates from other teams - some interesting options out there - Elton Brand, Tyrus Thomas, Rashard Lewis, Birdman, a few others. Another wildcard, along with the draft and FA, to think about over the next few weeks.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions above.

Not sure as to Mill's contract in particular but generally its by midnight on June 30th, unless both sides agree to extend the deadline ala what Antonio Mcdyess did last year

TheCerebral1
06-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Andre Miller, blah. No thanks on that. We definitely do need an upgrade over Neal. Who I do want to return but not as a PG. :/

Bruno
06-08-2012, 01:58 PM

June 25th.

SOMA Spur
06-08-2012, 02:06 PM
thanks, Bruno. you do an amazing job on this board.

tkang456
06-08-2012, 08:55 PM
How about taking a go at Greg Oden or Thabeet. These guys are busts but they were lottery pick at once for something. We can try to develop these guys.

SamoanTD
06-08-2012, 11:05 PM
How about taking a go at Greg Oden or Thabeet. These guys are busts but they were lottery pick at once for something. We can try to develop these guys.

I heard Oden is out another year rehabilitating and Thabeet idk would have to see what we do in the draft. If we don't get big's then he's worth a look for the min.

Chawaman
06-09-2012, 12:52 AM
Any chance on going after roy hibbert?

elemento
06-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Considering that Hibbert is a RFA, i think the Pacers will match anything for him, even if it's max money. Plus, we don't have cap space to make a big offer.

SamoanTD
06-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Hibbert is pipe dream in my opinion.

CGD
06-09-2012, 11:52 AM
The days of the dominant bigs (Robinson, Ewing, Hakeem, Shaq, and Duncan) are over officially. After watching this Spurs series, and observing the general trend of the NBA, i can't help but think that post-play ball is dead. This time last year I was clamoring, like many here, for a big who could score on the block (e.g., Hibbert, Jefferson), but I wonder if the Spurs wouldn't best be served by collecting as many 6'7"-6' 8" dudes with long arms as possible.

The future "big" need only be super athletic, recover fast on D, and work on developing a midrange shot (e.g., Chris Bosh), but size is no longer the equation given the speed of the game. Hell in this future nba, Serge Ibaka (Serge Ibaka!) is a star in the making. Sure we have Dwight, but does anyone else feel that he is "so great" bc he perpetually plays against smaller players and muscles them down low? Then again, the "great" Shaq will be first ballot Hall of Famer too. And Bynum, Mr. Western Conference All-star by default, considering him "great" is laughable based on his maturity alone.

All this to say: no to trades for Hibbert-types, yes to trades for Josh Smith types....

SenorSpur
06-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Considering that Hibbert is a RFA, i think the Pacers will match anything for him, even if it's max money. Plus, we don't have cap space to make a big offer.

Hibbert has stated on more than two different occasions, that he loves Indiana and has no intention of leaving. Cross him off the wishlist.

TD 21
06-10-2012, 06:59 PM
The days of the dominant bigs (Robinson, Ewing, Hakeem, Shaq, and Duncan) are over officially. After watching this Spurs series, and observing the general trend of the NBA, i can't help but think that post-play ball is dead. This time last year I was clamoring, like many here, for a big who could score on the block (e.g., Hibbert, Jefferson), but I wonder if the Spurs wouldn't best be served by collecting as many 6'7"-6' 8" dudes with long arms as possible.

The future "big" need only be super athletic, recover fast on D, and work on developing a midrange shot (e.g., Chris Bosh), but size is no longer the equation given the speed of the game. Hell in this future nba, Serge Ibaka (Serge Ibaka!) is a star in the making. Sure we have Dwight, but does anyone else feel that he is "so great" bc he perpetually plays against smaller players and muscles them down low? Then again, the "great" Shaq will be first ballot Hall of Famer too. And Bynum, Mr. Western Conference All-star by default, considering him "great" is laughable based on his maturity alone.

All this to say: no to trades for Hibbert-types, yes to trades for Josh Smith types....

Exactly.

I still think the Spurs could use a brute for certain match-ups/situations, but a minimal type like Gray or Orton would suffice. As far as their rotation, they need a Smith type. But even if they wanted a Hibbert type, there's nothing the Spurs could realistically offer that would dissuade the Pacers from matching. It's very rare you see restricted free agents of that caliber move.

portnoy1
06-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Exactly.

I still think the Spurs could use a brute for certain match-ups/situations, but a minimal type like Gray or Orton would suffice. As far as their rotation, they need a Smith type. But even if they wanted a Hibbert type, there's nothing the Spurs could realistically offer that would dissuade the Pacers from matching. It's very rare you see restricted free agents of that caliber move.
I have been wanting the Spurs to get Aaron Gray for a little while now. He is a legit 7footer and is about 270lbs. Players like that do some serious lane clogging and take away the advantage that guys like Andrew Bynum have over the rest of the league. The Guy is cheap, I say sign him.

Ditty
06-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Spurs not looking for a Center. They have TD and Splitter. I think they will make a run at Randolph from the tpups, maybe Hill from LA as he started to show what he can do defensively, If T Thomas gets bought out by the Bobcats which is rumored they may go after him as Pops likes him.

Outside of that, maybe a trade to help land Batum as the Spurs must upgrade the SG spot and have Manu off the bench. Decolo could come over and would give us a nice 4 guard rotation.

Spurs may look to give Oden a look over, Ian could be signed if he comes cheep and would get mins now.

Blair, Mills, Jax all on the block.

My long shot is Spurs unload Bonner and Jax with other considerations for Amare from NY as they want to unload his contract. If the spurs could some how get Fields and Amare and deal Jax contract, Blair, Bonner and maybe Lorbek rights, resign Green and bring Richards over I think we are right in it again next year.

Get bigger and younger on the wing, add a PF who can score and defend quicker pfs.....may be a long shot but it wouldnt be a bad short term move.

Garnett would be great too.......would bring a little fire and a guy who can defend away from the basket. Spurs need to add an athlete at the 2.

Well from your previous track record, I'm pretty sure we aren't getting any of those players now even if I stopped reading when I saw a Bonner for Amare trade.

SamoanTD
06-11-2012, 11:53 PM
Spurs not looking for a Center. They have TD and Splitter. I think they will make a run at Randolph from the tpups, maybe Hill from LA as he started to show what he can do defensively, If T Thomas gets bought out by the Bobcats which is rumored they may go after him as Pops likes him.

Outside of that, maybe a trade to help land Batum as the Spurs must upgrade the SG spot and have Manu off the bench. Decolo could come over and would give us a nice 4 guard rotation.

Spurs may look to give Oden a look over, Ian could be signed if he comes cheep and would get mins now.

My long shot is Spurs unload Bonner and Jax with other considerations for Amare from NY as they want to unload his contract. If the spurs could some how get Fields and Amare and deal Jax contract, Blair, Bonner and maybe Lorbek rights, resign Green and bring Richards over I think we are right in it again next year.

Get bigger and younger on the wing, add a PF who can score and defend quicker pfs.....may be a long shot but it wouldnt be a bad short term move.

Garnett would be great too.......would bring a little fire and a guy who can defend away from the basket. Spurs need to add an athlete at the 2.

This is BEYOND wishful thinking :lol.

CGD
06-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Randolph please.

Also we should track what I call the fallen angles from previous drafts that went over to Europe. I know they're out there, but we know nothing of them. The way the college game is going, Europe is going to be like sophomore and junior year for a lot of these kids with lofty one and done dreams.

admiralsnackbar
06-13-2012, 12:07 AM

You're slipping, 2Step -- ooooooobviously we need to trade Tony for George Hill, slide Kawhi to PF, and package Bonner, Jax, and the rights to Karualov for the #3 pick and hope we can draft a PF with teenytiny thalidomide hands.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-13-2012, 08:17 AM

Is this guy serious?

stxspurs
06-13-2012, 09:30 AM

Uh Wut?

MR-Clutch
06-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Is this guy serious?

Same shit, different year. He kind of keeps things entertaining around here.

SamoanTD
06-13-2012, 09:43 PM
U goof balls know NY is looking to ditch AS for expiring contracts right?

You know a lot more teams have better talent to swap then us right?

MR-Clutch
06-13-2012, 10:00 PM
No one wants Amare. His knees are shot and his contract is uninsured.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-14-2012, 07:25 AM
U goof balls know NY is looking to ditch AS for expiring contracts right?

I doubt the Spurs want to be committed $20M+ over three years to someone whose knees are on the verge of exploding.

Russo21
06-15-2012, 08:41 AM
Spurs to target Garnett?

8:03AM ET
Kevin Garnett | Celtics (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=bos)

Recommend (https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnb a%2ffeatures%2frumors%2f_%2fid%2f25561&t=Spurs+to+target+Garnett%3F)24 (https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnb a%2ffeatures%2frumors%2f_%2fid%2f25561&t=Spurs+to+target+Garnett%3F)
Comments (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors/_/id/25561)13 (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors/_/id/25561)
Email (http://sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http%3A%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com% 2fnba%2ffeatures%2frumors%2f_%2fid%2f25561&title=Spurs+to+target+Garnett%3F)

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/261.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=false (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=261)He is someone they may go after once free agency starts.
Subscribe to Insider for as low as $2.50/month to access the complete rumor http://a.espncdn.com/icons/in.gif (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?date=20120612&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2ffeatures%2frumors%3fdate%3d20120612#TOP)

Bruno
06-15-2012, 06:23 PM
Parker talked a little about Spurs offseason in an interview he made today in Paris:
http://www.rmcsport.fr/editorial/267408/parker-les-jo-ca-va-etre-la-folie/

Boris Diaw will be at the end of his contract, will he re-sign with Spurs?
Boris wants to stay in SA and they want to keep him too but there is too the business side. Boris will get nice contract offers and we must first re-sign Tim Duncan. There are too Danny Green, Erazem Lorbek and Nando De Colo. There are a lot of possibilities. We will see if we will be able to get everybody. It's going to be hard but I trust Pop and RC to make the right choice. I think that next year we will still play for the title.

First, TP has learned well his lesson and hasn't repeated last year mistake.
While he doesn't say really surprising things, TP confirmed a lot of what has been said/hinted about Spurs offseason:
- Spurs would like to have Diaw back but not at a crazy cost.
- There is a true interest for Lorbek and De Colo.
- Getting all these players will be hard to do financially wise.
- Spurs likely won't try to get some other teams free agents. They will try to re-sign some of their FAs and bring former draft picks.

tesseractive
06-15-2012, 06:36 PM
Parker talked a little about Spurs offseason in an interview he made today in Paris:

Boris wants to stay in SA and they want to keep him too but there is too the business side. Boris will get nice contract offers and we must first re-sign Tim Duncan. There are too Danny Green, Erazem Lorbek and Nando De Colo. There are a lot of possibilities. We will see if we will be able to get everybody. It's going to be hard but I trust Pop and RC to make the right choice. I think that next year we will still play for the title.

While he doesn't say really surprising things, TP confirmed a lot of what has been said/hinted about Spurs offseason:
- Spurs likely won't try to get some other teams free agents. They will try to re-sign some of their FAs and bring former draft picks.

Great find, Bruno. Thanks. :tu

SpurSwag
06-15-2012, 06:49 PM
I really like the idea of Tyrus Thomas here. Idk why but i feel like he could really blossom here, maybe not statistically, but maturity wise and finding his niche. We already have guys who are fundamentally sound and polished on this team, I think a raw, athletic freak like thomas could be just what the doctor ordered.

Duncan2177
06-15-2012, 07:19 PM
This spurs team desperately needs a defensive minded bigman. Who knows what Lorbek will bring if we sign him and we all thought Splitter was going to have a big impact and look how that turned out I dont think signing a european big is going to get us over the hump what my opinion is this team really needs to try trading for a bigman or sign a free agent bigman that's not european. That's just my 5 cents

ernest787
06-16-2012, 09:50 AM
i disagree on the defensive minded big man. I think Duncan is alright controlling the paint. It would always be nice to add another, but I believe they really need another big man (over 6'8") who can score in the post.

Defense wasn't terrible against the Thunder, but it's hard to win when you can't score easy baskets. The Thunder switched all PNR to take away the penetration from the Spurs and Duncan proved he couldn't score with his back to the basket against an elite post defender. They gave Splitter a shot at it and he couldn't even score over Fisher, lol. Blair can do it, but can't even pretend to protect the rim on Defense.

I think if the Spurs could have gone to the Post for stretches of that series and made the Thunder pay down low, the offense would have opened back up on the PNR and maybe Neal and Green don't disappear.

Unfortunately, I don't know if that guy is out there this year and don't know enough about Lorbeks game to know if he fits that mold, but if he does that would really help.

tesseractive
06-16-2012, 02:37 PM
i disagree on the defensive minded big man. I think Duncan is alright controlling the paint. It would always be nice to add another, but I believe they really need another big man (over 6'8") who can score in the post.

Defense wasn't terrible against the Thunder, but it's hard to win when you can't score easy baskets. The Thunder switched all PNR to take away the penetration from the Spurs and Duncan proved he couldn't score with his back to the basket against an elite post defender. They gave Splitter a shot at it and he couldn't even score over Fisher, lol. Blair can do it, but can't even pretend to protect the rim on Defense.

I think if the Spurs could have gone to the Post for stretches of that series and made the Thunder pay down low, the offense would have opened back up on the PNR and maybe Neal and Green don't disappear.

Unfortunately, I don't know if that guy is out there this year and don't know enough about Lorbeks game to know if he fits that mold, but if he does that would really help.

The Thunder spent a lot of time collapsed in the paint. Sending the ball to the low block wouldn't have changed that.

The biggest thing that would have helped would have been clutch 3 point shooting -- ideally from someone who could get their shot off even on an iso play, so when the pick-and-roll broke down we wouldn't have to depend on it to get outside shots. Force them to adjust to handle outside shooting, and suddenly the lane is open again.

SenorSpur
06-16-2012, 07:09 PM

If you think the Spurs defense was okay with only Duncan controlling the paint, check the numbers of the Thunders paint points when he was on the bench. Duncan is 36 years old. Also, check the number of offensive rebounds the Thunder amassed in nearly every game of that series.

Regardless of whether he is on the court or the bench, this Spurs team desparately needs to shore up its interior - that means rebounding, defense, shotblocking and post scoring.

ernest787
06-16-2012, 10:54 PM
i understand they need better post play, but with no money and few assets beyond the big 3, let me know where we are going to find a player that fits those categories?

as stands, Tim can can still play solid defense when he's on the court. Splitter is a solid defender in the post. He is not a shot blocking threat, and believe he ended up with a terrible match up for him in the Thunder. That being said, I think Splitter is a fine back up to Duncan.

If it was me, I'd focus more on getting a post scorer if that meant having to sacrifice a little something on Defense. I doubt we are going to find someone that can do both with what we have, unless that is what Lorbek can do.

SamoanTD
06-17-2012, 12:51 AM
i understand they need better post play, but with no money and few assets beyond the big 3, let me know where we are going to find a player that fits those categories?

as stands, Tim can can still play solid defense when he's on the court. Splitter is a solid defender in the post. He is not a shot blocking threat, and believe he ended up with a terrible match up for him in the Thunder. That being said, I think Splitter is a fine back up to Duncan.

If it was me, I'd focus more on getting a post scorer if that meant having to sacrifice a little something on Defense. I doubt we are going to find someone that can do both with what we have, unless that is what Lorbek can do.

You don't make sense offense gets you only so far in the playoffs as you see in our most recent run. Like I have said just about every where on this forum there are bigs to be had in the draft (O'Quinn, James). Scoring in the post also does not have to come from throwing it down to the big and letting him work it can come from put backs, cutting, and lobs. I swear one defensive minded athletic big and this team will be nice.

SenorSpur
06-17-2012, 01:19 AM
You don't make sense offense gets you only so far in the playoffs as you see in our most recent run. Like I have said just about every where on this forum there are bigs to be had in the draft (O'Quinn, James). Scoring in the post also does not have to come from throwing it down to the big and letting him work it can come from put backs, cutting, and lobs. I swear one defensive minded athletic big and this team will be nice.

^ This.

Including Kyle O'Quinn, there is Bernard James, Henry Sims, & Robert Sacre. Either of these young bigs could provide the necessary interior post defense and rebounding, which the Spurs are sorely lacking. While they may all need some work on the offensive side, the Spurs have more than enough offense to makeup the difference. And the best part of all, each of these young bigs will likely be available in the second round of the upcoming draft.

SamoanTD
06-17-2012, 01:22 AM
^ This.

Including Kyle O'Quinn, there is Bernard James, Henry Sims, & Robert Sacre. Either of these young bigs could provide the necessary interior post defense and rebounding, which the Spurs are sorely lacking. While they may all need some work on the offensive side, the Spurs have more than enough offense to makeup the difference. And the best part of all, each of these young bigs will likely be available in the second round of the upcoming draft.

^ I guess nobody sees it like us bro lol.

CGD
06-17-2012, 11:01 AM

Thanks for posting. I read this as Boris is the second option while Lorbek the first. I'm not sure the space exception (former LLe) is going to be enough for either player tbh. But De Colo with that same money makes sense.

tesseractive
06-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks for posting. I read this as Boris is the second option while Lorbek the first. I'm not sure the space exception (former LLe) is going to be enough for either player tbh. But De Colo with that same money makes sense.

To sign both Lorbek and Diaw, we'd probably have to split the midlevel and give them each $2-3M/ year. Whether either will except those terms, I have no idea -- it's below market for both.

Andthentherewas21
06-17-2012, 04:50 PM
To sign both Lorbek and Diaw, we'd probably have to split the midlevel and give them each $2-3M/ year. Whether either will except those terms, I have no idea -- it's below market for both.

I don't know about Lorbek, but Diaw probably won't command much beyond that. After his past couple of seasons there are very few teams that are going to take a chance on him, even after his resurgence at the end of the season. Especially given how hesitant he was in offense for the Spurs.

DPG21920
06-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Bruno, when do you think the Spurs/Duncan will agree to a contract? Does Tim have to be signed first before they make any other moves?

TD 21
06-17-2012, 11:42 PM

That's why they need to load up a package for Smith. Splitter, Blair, Neal, Bonner, Joseph, Byars and a future 1st. And before some completely dismiss this, consider this: They've got six players signed for $60 million next season. This is a big enough issue that Assistant GM Dave Pendergraph said today, when asked about bringing former 2nd round pick Sergiy Gladyr to Summer League, "Well, there is some urgency in our summer league this year because of the roster spots. That being said, Sergei may be two or three years down the road and maybe next summer will be the best opportunity for him.” In other words, they desperately need inexpensive depth. The younger the better, considering how old their bench was this season.

Given that Johnson is more than likely staying put (if they Mavs fail to land Williams or pull off a move of that caliber, maybe they settle for Johnson; short of that, I can't see him not being back), their goal is probably to continue to tread water. So they may be inclined to take a package like that, as opposed to looking for that one big asset. And it's not like that package wouldn't fill some obvious needs. One being starting C, while simultaneously allowing Horford to move back to his natural PF; another being sixth man, as they never replaced Crawford. Neal could, at least more so than anyone they had this season.

If the Spurs can pull that off, they'll have not only filled their biggest need and added an in his prime All-Star caliber player, but they'll still be in a position to have a deep team. Here's how: Re-sign Duncan, Green and Diaw, sign De Colo and Turiaf. He does have a player option, but with him clearly not in the Heat's plans, I don't see why he wouldn't opt out. The Spurs could probably only offer the veteran's minimum, but the chance to be a guaranteed rotation player on a bonafide contender and join three fellow countrymen, I'd think would be very appealing to him. If that fails, there's Gray, Orton, Mohammed, Thabeet and Ajinca, as potential veteran's minimum options. And keep in mind, with a guy like Smith, who can eat up 35 mpg easily, the fourth big isn't as quite as important, especially come playoff time. Then they'd just need a fifth big and wing to fill out the roster.

SamoanTD
06-18-2012, 12:37 AM
That's why they need to load up a package for Smith. Splitter, Blair, Neal, Bonner, Joseph, Byars and a future 1st. And before some completely dismiss this, consider this: They've got six players signed for $60 million next season. This is a big enough issue that Assistant GM Dave Pendergraph said today, when asked about bringing former 2nd round pick Sergiy Gladyr to Summer League, "Well, there is some urgency in our summer league this year because of the roster spots. That being said, Sergei may be two or three years down the road and maybe next summer will be the best opportunity for him.” In other words, they desperately need inexpensive depth. The younger the better, considering how old their bench was this season.

Given that Johnson is more than likely staying put (if they Mavs fail to land Williams or pull off a move of that caliber, maybe they settle for Johnson; short of that, I can't see him not being back), their goal is probably to continue to tread water. So they may be inclined to take a package like that, as opposed to looking for that one big asset. And it's not like that package wouldn't fill some obvious needs. One being starting C, while simultaneously allowing Horford to move back to his natural PF; another being sixth man, as they never replaced Crawford. Neal could, at least more so than anyone they had this season.

If the Spurs can pull that off, they'll have not only filled their biggest need and added an in his prime All-Star caliber player, but they'll still be in a position to have a deep team. Here's how: Re-sign Duncan, Green and Diaw, sign De Colo and Turiaf. He does have a player option, but with him clearly not in the Heat's plans, I don't see why he wouldn't opt out. The Spurs could probably only offer the veteran's minimum, but the chance to be a guaranteed rotation player on a bonafide contender and join three fellow countrymen, I'd think would be very appealing to him. If that fails, there's Gray, Orton, Mohammed, Thabeet and Ajinca, as potential veteran's minimum options. And keep in mind, with a guy like Smith, who can eat up 35 mpg easily, the fourth big isn't as quite as important, especially come playoff time. Then they'd just need a fifth big and wing to fill out the roster.

I see where you going but honestly I cant see the Hawks doing it as much as I would like to see it I would chalk this one up as a pipe dream. There's better packages out there to be had for Smith and spurs package ain't cutting it.

Russo21
06-18-2012, 10:11 AM
I don't know anything about Lorbek and DeCola. NBA is all i watch and not international stuff.

Would you consider these guys giving immediate help ala other internationals like Bogut, Parker, Ginobili, Scola, Nene and the Gasol's or be trash like Splitter, Thabeet etc.?

International prospects are like a box of chocolate's, you never know what you're gonna get.

yavozerb
06-18-2012, 10:38 AM
I don't know anything about Lorbek and DeCola. NBA is all i watch and not international stuff.

Would you consider these guys giving immediate help ala other internationals like Bogut, Parker, Ginobili, Scola, Nene and the Gasol's or be trash like Splitter, Thabeet etc.?

International prospects are like a box of chocolate's, you never know what you're gonna get.

Nobody can answer this question correctly cause nobody knows how one international players game will translate to the NBA more so than the other. Pretty dumb comment saying Splitter is trash and even dumber comment on Thabeet being called a Euro player..

Bruno
06-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Bruno, when do you think the Spurs/Duncan will agree to a contract? Does Tim have to be signed first before they make any other moves?

It depends on what kind of salary he wants:
- If it's a min contract or the room exception contract (2 years for a total salary of $5.3M), then Duncan should be signed last.
- If it's a contract with a starting salary below $6M, then Duncan should be signed first.
- If it's a contract with a starting salary higher than $6M, then it doesn't really matters.

Russo21
06-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Nobody can answer this question correctly cause nobody knows how one international players game will translate to the NBA more so than the other. Pretty dumb comment saying Splitter is trash and even dumber comment on Thabeet being called a Euro player..

Yavozerb if you read my post correctly you will notice i did not use the word euro once. I said internationals. Never Euro. So yes, Thabeet being from Tanzania or some shit he is an International like i said. So your comment about me being dumb for calling Thabeet a Euro player is actually even dumber.

admiralsnackbar
06-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Yavozerb if you read my post correctly you will notice i did not use the word euro once. I said internationals. Never Euro. So yes, Thabeet being from Tanzania or some shit he is an International like i said. So your comment about me being dumb for calling Thabeet a Euro player is actually even dumber.

Except Thabeet played for the Huskies, in other words, he was trained in US basketball. Do you also think Mutombo and Olajuwon were international, too?

Don't get so butthurt when somebody calls you out, man -- especially when they're right to have done so. :toast

Russo21
06-19-2012, 12:58 AM
Well Hakeem was from Nigeria, and Mutombo was from Congo or something, so yeah.

Russo21
06-19-2012, 01:01 AM
And if the USA didnt purchase Timmy's Virgin Islands from the Danish i'd consider him international to

Russo21
06-19-2012, 01:08 AM
Bazinga!

CGD
06-22-2012, 01:38 PM
Looks like Earl Clark may decline his Player Option. This guy intrigues me.

http://www.orlandopinstripedpost.com/2012/6/22/3098827/2012-nba-free-agents-earl-clark-player-option-orlando-magic

ace3g
06-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Since it isn't just about one of the Spurs international prospects, I'll post it here:

http://www.sportyou.es/diario/20120622/14/

Looks like it talks about the Spurs international history

Mel_13
06-22-2012, 04:11 PM
In a surprise ruling on Friday, New York Knicks' Jeremy Lin and Steve Novak, Los Angeles Clippers' Chauncey Billups and Portland Trail Blazers' J.J. Hickson secured Bird and early Bird rights in a hearing between the NBA players' association and the league.

The decision was made by arbitrator Kenneth Dam, who affirmed that players claimed off waivers are able to retain their valuable Bird and early Bird rights when they become free agents. That means that if Lin, Billups, Novak and Hickson re-sign, their teams can go over the salary cap. The Celtics were the first team to use this exception, re-signing star Larry Bird to go over the cap.

The NBA said it would appeal Friday's ruling.

All four players were waived this season and claimed by other teams. They will become free agents July 1.

In addition, future players claimed off waivers will likewise benefit from Friday's ruling.

Lin and Novak wll enter the 2012-13 free agency period with early Bird rights, meaning that they can be re-signed for 175 percent of their salary the previous season or the NBA average salary, whichever is greater.

Billups and Hickson will have Bird rights, meaning they can be re-signed up to the maximum salary.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8085646/ruling-gives-jeremy-lin-chauncey-billups-bird-rights-affects-cap

CGD
06-22-2012, 04:30 PM
In a surprise ruling on Friday, New York Knicks' Jeremy Lin and Steve Novak, Los Angeles Clippers' Chauncey Billups and Portland Trail Blazers' J.J. Hickson secured Bird and early Bird rights in a hearing between the NBA players' association and the league.

The decision was made by arbitrator Kenneth Dam, who affirmed that players claimed off waivers are able to retain their valuable Bird and early Bird rights when they become free agents. That means that if Lin, Billups, Novak and Hickson re-sign, their teams can go over the salary cap. The Celtics were the first team to use this exception, re-signing star Larry Bird to go over the cap.

The NBA said it would appeal Friday's ruling.

All four players were waived this season and claimed by other teams. They will become free agents July 1.

In addition, future players claimed off waivers will likewise benefit from Friday's ruling.

Lin and Novak wll enter the 2012-13 free agency period with early Bird rights, meaning that they can be re-signed for 175 percent of their salary the previous season or the NBA average salary, whichever is greater.

Billups and Hickson will have Bird rights, meaning they can be re-signed up to the maximum salary.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8085646/ruling-gives-jeremy-lin-chauncey-billups-bird-rights-affects-cap

Would this have any impact for Boris?

Mel_13
06-22-2012, 04:37 PM
Would this have any impact for Boris?

No.

Those players were claimed off waivers, Boris cleared waivers and then signed with the Spurs as a free agent.

CGD
06-22-2012, 06:40 PM
No.

Those players were claimed off waivers, Boris cleared waivers and then signed with the Spurs as a free agent.

I see, thanks.

ace3g
06-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Some FA I'm interested in (no particular order):

1. Carl Landry - mobile PF, good jump shot, hustle player

2. Earl Clark

3. James Singleton

4. Dominic McGuire

5. Kevin Garnett - Yes I know but he has the skill sets the Spurs need at this point in the Big 3 Career's

6. Jordan Hill

7. Anthony Randolph - Though probably better acquiring him through trade

Andthentherewas21
06-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Landry is probably outside the Spurs range, unless they aren't keeping Diaw

Russo21
06-26-2012, 08:35 AM
"The truth is I'm a bit old school. For me, it would be hard to put on a Lakers jersey.

That's just the way it is," Nash said. "You play against them so many times in the playoffs, and I just use them as an example, and I have the utmost respect for them and their organization.

"I kind of have that tendency (to try to beat the best teams), so it is strange, but as a free agent you're free to go where you want, so I'd have to consider everything regardless of the past or the future."

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Chris Haynes ‏@ChrisBHaynes
Sounds like Victor Claver will leave Valencia Basketball and pay $600,000 buyout to come to #Blazers, according to @EmiliovEscudero.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Am I correct in saying that free agency period begins at the stroke of midnight, Sunday 12:00am?

Mel_13
06-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Am I correct in saying that free agency period begins at the stroke of midnight, Sunday 12:00am?

Yes. Teams and players can begin talking. Contracts can't be signed until July 11th.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q101

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-29-2012, 09:49 AM
Yes. Teams and players can begin talking. Contracts can't be signed until July 11th.

Do you know by what time zone the NBA deadlines apply to?

Bruno
06-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Do you know by what time zone the NBA deadlines apply to?

All NBA deadlines are in eastern time. It's because league offices are in NY.

Mel_13
06-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Jordan Farmar intends to opt out of his contract by Saturday night, according to a close associate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/29/sports/basketball/nba-draft-tyshawn-taylor-of-kansas-obtained-by-nets.html?_r=1

Mel_13
06-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Colangelo said Alabi will not be given a qualifying offer. Thus he'll be a UFA. Said Alabi may still join the ‪#Raptors‬ summer league squad

https://twitter.com/Eric__Smith

ace3g
06-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Free Agency 2012: Power Forwards

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/06/29/nba-free-agency-power-forwards/

Mel_13
06-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Free Agency 2012: Power Forwards

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012/06/29/nba-free-agency-power-forwards/

Some team is going to vastly overpay Ryan Anderson. Eventually, they'll realize that he's just a slightly better version of Bonner without the red hair.

elemento
06-29-2012, 05:20 PM
It looks like Toronto will use the amnesty clause on Calderon.

i would love to have him as our backup PG. I am sure a lot of teams will bid for his services.

Mel_13
06-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Bobcats give qualifying offers to DJ Augustin and Derrick Brown - I assume by omission not DJ White and Cory Higgins?

https://twitter.com/EricPincus

Hearing that Jameer Nelson has informed Magic he is opting out.

https://twitter.com/MagicInsider

Mel_13
06-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Confirmed: ‪#UtahJazz‬ plan to pick up 2012-12 team options for DeMarre Carroll and Jamal Tinsley.

https://twitter.com/tribjazz

pad300
06-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Some team is going to vastly overpay Ryan Anderson. Eventually, they'll realize that he's just a slightly better version of Bonner without the red hair.

Don't know about that Mel, a version of Bonner with enough stones to hold up in the playoffs would be a pretty decent player... Anderson is also a significantly better rebounder than Bonner.

Mel_13
06-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Don't know about that Mel, a version of Bonner with enough stones to hold up in the playoffs would be a pretty decent player... Anderson is also a significantly better rebounder than Bonner.

:lmao

That's not Anderson.

Career regular season PER: 18.4

Career playoff PER: 7.8

And take a look at this. There have been 908 players in NBA history who have played at least 400 minutes in the playoffs. Now place them in order by FG%. As one would expect our Red Rocket comes in at a dreadful 832nd out of 908.

Anderson is 905th of 908.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=Y&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=mp&c1comp=gt&c1val=400&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=fg_pct

TD 21
06-30-2012, 06:20 PM
It looks like Toronto will use the amnesty clause on Calderon.

i would love to have him as our backup PG. I am sure a lot of teams will bid for his services.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/46996/could-jose-calderon-join-gasol-in-l-a

Miami and San Antonio are two more teams known to intrigue Calderon if he gets the chance to pick his next destination.

It's an extreme long shot and in many ways, he's not the type of backup point guard the Spurs need, but he is clear cut better than probably anyone they can get.

Mel_13
06-30-2012, 06:28 PM
The New Orleans Hornets have officially waived Rashard Lewis. The 32-year-old will look to sign with a contender, according to sources.

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA

ace3g
06-30-2012, 11:05 PM
K.C Johnson ‏@KCJHoop

Hearing Rockets prepared to offer Omer Asik in the $8 million range annually. http://trib.in/LNlL23

Bruno
07-01-2012, 05:35 AM
Few hours after the start of the free agency and Spurs haven't been linked with a single free agent aside of their own free agents.

While it's possible Spurs have contacted some players and it hasn't been leaked, it's too possible Spurs won't pursue other teams free agents. They might just try to re-sign some of their players (Duncan, Green, Diaw and Mills) and add some of the players whose they own NBA rights (Lorbek, De Colo).

Mel_13
07-01-2012, 07:07 AM
Few hours after the start of the free agency and Spurs haven't been linked with a single free agent aside of their own free agents.

While it's possible Spurs have contacted some players and it hasn't been leaked, it's too possible Spurs won't pursue other teams free agents. They might just try to re-sign some of their players (Duncan, Green, Diaw and Mills) and add some of the players whose they own NBA rights (Lorbek, De Colo).

That's by far their most likely course of action.

They only have the MLE, BAE, and vet minimum to use in free agency. I'm sure they'd like to fit Diaw, Lorbek, and De Colo into the two larger exceptions, but I don't think they'll be successful. Perhaps Diaw for most of the MLE, leaving enough room for a player like Denmon on a contract similar to the one they structured for Blair. Then De Colo for BAE (If they could fit Diaw and De Colo into the MLE, then they could use the BAE on a young big whose value has tumbled for some reason and wants to go someplace to rehab his standing in the league). After that, maybe vet minimum contracts for a Shelden Williams level big and a 3rd string PG with NBA experience.

Match Green up to about 3.5M/year and Mills up to about half of that.

Any significant changes to the roster will have to come via trade and using the biggest trade chip, Jackson, may not be something they contemplate until mid-season.

Bruno
07-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Match Green up to about 3.5M/year and Mills up to about half of that.

Matching up a Mills offer won't be that easy to do. Spurs don't have Bird or even early Bird rights on him. If the offer starts above his $1,085,120 qualifying offer, Spurs will need to use the MLE/LLE to match the offer and they might want to use their MLE/LLE elsewhere.

Mel_13
07-01-2012, 07:33 AM
Matching up a Mills offer won't be that easy to do. Spurs don't have Bird or even early Bird rights on him. If the offer starts above his $1,085,120 qualifying offer, Spurs will need to use the MLE/LLE to match the offer and they might want to use their MLE/LLE elsewhere.

Ah, didn't know that. Thanks.

Ice009
07-01-2012, 09:37 AM

Has the signing date been shorted from the previous CBA? I thought it was going to be 7 days.

Mel_13
07-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Has the signing date been shorted from the previous CBA? I thought it was going to be 7 days.

July moratorium and signing dates from 2012 thru 2020:

ABC
07-01-2012, 01:30 PM

Can they offer a multi-year deal starting at the qualifying offer without using any of their MLE/LLE? Thanks.

DesignatedT
07-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Roy Hibbert has been offered a max contract from the Blazers following a meeting with Neil Olshey and Larry Miller in Washington, D.C.

The Pacers did not offer a max contract and Hibbert is leaning toward signing the offer sheet with the Blazers.

One other unnamed team reportedly offer Hibbert a max deal as well.

DesignatedT
07-01-2012, 01:36 PM
The Grizzlies have offered Ray Allen the full midlevel for two years.

The Celtics are prepared to offer two years and $12 million, but have not formally presented the offer.

DPG21920
07-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Question to Spurs fans: If the Spurs could get Ersan for the MLE or Diaw/Lorbek (meaning both of them for that money), which option would you prefer?

DesignatedT
07-01-2012, 01:44 PM
I would probably go Lorbek. While Diaw was great here and was by far the best big man outside of Tim during the playoffs, the Spurs still need somebody better down low next to Duncan. I'm not really sure that Lorbek is the answer to that statement but the Spurs won't win a title with Diaw being the next best big to Duncan, JMO. It's a risk the Spurs need to take and hopefully Lorbek can come and have an immediate impact like Kawhi.

One can rightfully question Diaw's desire and commitment once he gets paid as well.

Obviously I would prefer to keep both or to get somebody that's proven over either.

DesignatedT
07-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Wow at reports that the Raptors have offered Nash a 3 yr / 36 mil contract. That would be nuts if true.

AFBlue
07-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Question to Spurs fans: If the Spurs could get Ersan for the MLE or Diaw/Lorbek (meaning both of them for that money), which option would you prefer?

Option B...makes it more likely the Spurs get rid of Bonner. Plus, Lorbek is versatile enough to play both frontline positions...can't say the same for Ilyasova.

DPG21920
07-01-2012, 02:17 PM
Would a prime Okur be a big help to the Spurs? That is what I see Lorbek's best case being. In that case, might be nice.

AFBlue
07-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Wow at reports that the Raptors have offered Nash a 3 yr / 36 mil contract. That would be nuts if true.

Par for the course tbh. Raps probably felt he needed a big offer to be pulled away from Phoenix and he's one of the few free agents available that change the outlook of a team solely with his presence. Obviously the risk is that his body won't continue to hold up, but I guess the Raps would rather risk than stay a mediocre ball club.

DesignatedT
07-01-2012, 02:25 PM
A prime Okur had some great seasons in the NBA.

AFBlue
07-01-2012, 02:27 PM
A prime Okur had some great seasons in the NBA.

And got paid.

If the Spurs can get "Prime Okur" for part of the MLE, we should be ecstatic.

Vic Petro
07-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Nets interested in signing Teletovic with part of their MLE

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8119934/brooklyn-nets-atlanta-hawks-talk-joe-johnson-trade-sources-say

Sense
07-01-2012, 06:03 PM

Why?

The Raptors are going to benefit just as much as Nash.. excluding what the team actually does.

DesignatedT
07-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Why?

The Raptors are going to benefit just as much as Nash.. excluding what the team actually does.

a 3 year deal worth 12 mil annually is a lot for a PG who turns 39 next season.

Sense
07-01-2012, 06:20 PM
a 3 year deal worth 12 mil annually is a lot for a PG who turns 39 next season.

Raptors are a shitty team, if they get their Canadian god on that team can you imagine how much the ticket sales would improve? How much merchandise they would be selling, etc. Oh and the guy can still play, so it's possible he lead the team into a playoff spot in a shitty conference.... it's a risk only the Raptors can take, and I'm sure they didn't think twice about it.

ducks
07-01-2012, 06:50 PM
suns should have traded nash 2 years ago foolishness

intlspurshk
07-01-2012, 10:17 PM

Absolutely Ersan. It is not possible to have both Diaw/Lorbek based on the current signings for FA.

smaka
07-02-2012, 03:00 AM
lmao @ Houston giving Omer f'n Asik 25 mil. on a 3 year deal.

CGD
07-02-2012, 11:39 AM
George Hill is getting a 5 year deal?

https://twitter.com/MikeWellsNBA/status/219831537946992642

Obstructed_View
07-02-2012, 11:55 AM
That trade just looks better and better by the day, and we don't even know how much money Georgie's getting.

I really hope that Toronto can sell 30 million dollars worth of Nash jerseys before Nash's back gives out and he spends that contract behind the bench in an ugly suit.

Anonymous Cowherd
07-02-2012, 01:36 PM

Lorbek and Diaw, obviously.

Mel_13
07-02-2012, 04:08 PM
As of now I'm hearing that it's likely that the Bulls won't pick up C.J. Watson's option, but that may change if they don't match Omer Asik.

https://twitter.com/#!/JaredZwerling

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Nets get JJ

NuGGeTs-FaN
07-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Oh, and lol @ Dwight

CGD
07-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Mavs are gonna make a hard push for Dwight now. That could be scary.

Mel_13
07-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Mavs are gonna make a hard push for Dwight now. That could be scary.

If they get Williams, they'll have no chance to get Howard.

CGD
07-02-2012, 05:29 PM
If they get Williams, they'll have no chance to get Howard.

Yeah, which makes Dallas the front runner for Dwight given all the recent drama with Orlando...

ESPN radio just indicated that Marc Cuban didnt even attend the meeting with William (apparently was off record an episode of "Shark Tank") because he knew where the Mavs stood (or didn't) with Williams. Every indication is that Nets are going to open the season with Williams, Jackson, and Wallace. Not a bad line-up for AJ to work with.

elemento
07-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Ferry is a boss

He got rid of Johnson's contract getting back only expirings and still got a pick :lol

CGD
07-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Ferry is a boss

He got rid of Johnson's contract getting back only expirings and still got a pick :lol

2013 Executive of the Year, won in Summer of 2012 tbh

He's cleaning house out there, and I expect that knucklehead Josh Smith is next to go.

szkorhetz
07-02-2012, 05:39 PM
2013 Executive of the Year, won in Summer of 2012 tbh

He's cleaning house out there, and I expect that knucklehead Josh Smith is next to go.

Splitter, Bonner, Green, Blair for him?

Mel_13
07-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Splitter, Bonner, Green, Blair for him?

Smith is a very good player on a reasonable, expiring contract. Ferry's not going to take the same sort of package he took for JJ.

DPG21920
07-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Pretty great move by Ferry if it happens and the details are accurate. He got rid of the "un-tradable" contract and didn't have to give up anything to do it (in fact he got cap space and a first rounder?).

He gave up Joe, which sets them back from a player perspective. Joe, while certainly not worth his deal, is still a talented player. Getting Joe and Deron together I think is pretty solid (from a basketball perspective) IMO. Joe still has game left and while he is ball dominant, I think a lot of that was out of need (no real PG on his team). Pairing him with Deron could really open things up, plus that gives them two legit ball handlers and scorers. Not to mention, Joe and Deron is a pretty big back court and both have shown defensive capabilities (not on a night in, night out basis, but when focused).

DPG21920
07-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Smith is a very good player on a reasonable, expiring contract. Ferry's not going to take the same sort of package he took for JJ.

Agreed - but the package he took for JJ was pretty damn good overall considering most have to give up a pick and/or a good young player in order to dump a contract like that.

But Josh is very productive, young still and like you said expiring. He should net something decent from either a pick perspective or player(s).

Bruno
07-02-2012, 06:59 PM
After two free agency days, still nothing regarding Spurs. They have been vaguely linked to some players (Camby, Ilyasova, Josh Howard) but that's all.

While it's, off course, way too soon to push the panic button, it would be nice to have some true news regarding Spurs' offseason.

Mel_13
07-02-2012, 07:07 PM
After two free agency days, still nothing regarding Spurs. They have been vaguely linked to some players (Camby, Ilyasova, Josh Howard) but that's all.

While it's, off course, way too soon to push the panic button, it would be nice to have some true news regarding Spurs' offseason.

If their primary MLE/BAE targets are Diaw, Lorbek, and De Colo, then I don't believe we'll hear much until the deals are done.

Any other FA signings will be vet min types that won't happen until most of the real money around the league has been committed.

Could be a very boring summer.

DPG21920
07-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Mel & Bruno: What are yalls thoughts on the balance between winning this year and monitoring cap space for next year?

Bruno
07-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Mel & Bruno: What are yalls thoughts on the balance between winning this year and monitoring cap space for next year?

There isn't a lot to balance. Re-signing Duncan is an obvious move and the rest of what Spurs can do this summer (MLE and re-signing Green) won't eat that much cap space.

Mel_13
07-02-2012, 07:36 PM

I'm pretty sure that they'll use both the MLE and BAE this year. That said, the only really damage they can do to future cap space is trading Jackson (I don't believe they'll ever trade Manu) for a longer term deal. I don't believe they'll consider that type of move unless a deep playoff run appears hopeless as they approach the trade deadline.

loveforthegame
07-02-2012, 08:44 PM

Too early to panic but its been depressingly quiet so far.

DPG21920
07-02-2012, 08:49 PM
There isn't a lot to balance. Re-signing Duncan is an obvious move and the rest of what Spurs can do this summer (MLE and re-signing Green) won't eat that much cap space.

That's true although I was thinking more along the lines of the Spurs using the MLE and possibly doing a sign and trade for a player like Ersan that has been loosely reported where it seems he will make a decent amount of money.

CGD
07-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Looks like JJ signing the with Nets didn't completely kill the Net's hopes of also landing Dwight. From Broussard:

"The Nets & Magic are discussing a trade that would send Dwight Howard to Brooklyn for Briik Lopez, Kris Humphies, Marshon Brooks...

Nets' picks that would be traded to Orlando would be 2013, 2015 and 2017, source says...."

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 08:05 AM
OFFICIAL: Anadolu Efes announced the signing of Semih Erden who returns to Turkey after two years in the NBA

https://twitter.com/#!/SportandoBasket

CGD
07-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Another peripheral, if not underwhelming, off season link to the Spurs. This is from Stein (in pertinent part):

"Sources say the Lakers -- as long as they retain Pau Gasol -- have an inside track to sign point guard Jose Calderon if the Raptors, as expected, must amnesty Calderon's contract to create the needed salary-cap space to sign Nash...

Sources say Calderon would also have interest in teaming with Luis Scola wherever the Argentinean lands after ESPN.com reported Saturday that the Houston Rockets are actively trying to trade Scola. Miami and San Antonio are two more teams known to intrigue Calderon if he gets the chance to pick his next destination."

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...n-gasol-in-l-a

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 11:33 AM
The Brooklyn Nets reached a verbal commitment with Croatian forward Mirza Teletovic on a three-year deal worth $15.675 million, according to sources close to the process.

The Nets will use their full mid-level exception to sign Teletovic.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8126519/2012-nba-free-agency-brooklyn-nets-croatian-f-mirza-teletovic-deal-sources-say

Kinda hurts any chance of Lorbek signing for the BAE.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Damn. That's a hell of a lot of money for Teletovic. The Nets are throwing money left and right, it seems they're in desperation mode already but they skew the market along with a few others. Makes signing both Lorbek and Diaw a pipe dream.

pad300
07-03-2012, 12:03 PM
Well see. The nets are clearly throwing stupid money around - JJ, Crash for 40/4, this...

The real question regarding Lorbek is how much he can get in Europe, and in what currency. Europe and the Euro (even the Russian teams pay their contracts in Euros these days) have significant problems ahead. Remember, he can't deal with any other team in the NBA.

Diaw we have to wait and see. I have a hard time seeing any team want to spend the MLE on him.

ace3g
07-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine

Just going up online and via SportsCenter: Raptors and Knicks' RFA Landry Fields have agreed to three-year offer sheet

DPG21920
07-03-2012, 12:29 PM
7M a year for Fields? Smh at this market.

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 12:30 PM

Sources say that the three-year deal offer sheet to Fields, with the Year 3 jump a la Omer Asik, approaches $20 million

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 12:32 PM
With Landry Fields and George Hill getting 7M per year, 4yrs/20M for Danny Green starts to look fiscally responsible.

Bruno
07-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Teletovic and Lorbek aren't exactly in the same situation. Teletovic's NBA rights weren't hold by a team so he had more leverage since he was able to talk to the 30 NBA teams.

But yeah, it's a bad news.
First, even if Lorbek has less leverage, Teletovic signign for $5M per year increase Lorbek market value.
Second, Teletovic was Barcelona backup plan if Lorbek left them. Without their backup plan, they will try harder to keep Lorbek.

timvp
07-03-2012, 12:39 PM
With Landry Fields and George Hill getting 7M per year,Have you found contract terms for Hill yet?

4yrs/20M for Danny Green starts to look fiscally responsible.

:depressed

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Have you found contract terms for Hill yet?

Just this:

So hearing George Hill got a nice deal from the Pacers... said to be five years and better than the $6 mil offered in January.

https://twitter.com/#!/stevekylerNBA

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Landry Fields to his agent: "Wait... did you say 2 million or 20 million? Because honestly, I'll take either. I don't care."

https://twitter.com/#!/sportsguy33

DPG21920
07-03-2012, 12:47 PM
With De Colo likely getting the BAE, the possibility of getting both Diaw & Lorbek appears to be gone now, correct? At that point Spurs only have the MLE available to split.

Danny does not have to be signed with the MLE, right?

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 12:49 PM
With De Colo likely getting the BAE, the possibility of getting both Diaw & Lorbek appears to be gone now, correct? At that point Spurs only have the MLE available to split.

Danny does not have to be signed with the MLE, right?

Yes to all.

pad300
07-03-2012, 12:52 PM
Teletovic and Lorbek aren't exactly in the same situation. Teletovic's NBA rights weren't hold by a team so he had more leverage since he was able to talk to the 30 NBA teams.

But yeah, it's a bad news.
First, even if Lorbek has less leverage, Teletovic signign for $5M per year increase Lorbek market value.
Second, Teletovic was Barcelona backup plan if Lorbek left them. Without their backup plan, they will try harder to keep Lorbek.

Not concerned about Barcelona, not with what's going on with Spain's economy. CKSA Moscow is more of an issue, but they aren't likely to pay that kind of price either...

I said it above, I think the Nets are throwing stupid money around. Look what Abramovich did with Chelsea before he got Mourinho in to manage things (and the amount of money he threw around after Mou left). Billy King isn't in Mourinho's league as a manager...

DPG21920
07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Spurs in a tough spot in the biggest position of need (front court) if DeColo takes the BAE. Will be interesting to see who they go with (Boris or Lorbek) or if they trade to address that need.

ace3g
07-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Emiliano Carchia ‏@SportandoBasket

AS reports that tomorrow Real Madrid will announce the return of Rudy Fernandez to the team. Rudy has played in Madrid during the lockout

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Toronto could wind up paying 56M over the next three years for a Nash/Fields backcourt. That Bryan Colangelo is a genius.

ace3g
07-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo

Celtics are in final discussions on terms of a multi-year deal with Mavericks free agent guard Jason Terry, sources tells Yahoo! Sports.

Bruno
07-03-2012, 04:33 PM
After looking at it more closely, the Teltovic for the full $5M MLE seems weird. If they sign him to that, they will have a hard cap and won't be able to do the Howard trade they are trying to do.

I wouldn't be surprised that in fact Teletovic is getting the full taxpayer MLE ($9.7M/3 years).

DesignatedT
07-03-2012, 04:36 PM

Celtics are in final discussions on terms of a multi-year deal with Mavericks free agent guard Jason Terry, sources tells Yahoo! Sports.

So where does Ray Allen end up?

elemento
07-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Yeah that would make more sense and that's what a expected the Spurs to pay Lorbek if the comes.

elemento
07-03-2012, 04:37 PM
So where does Ray Allen end up?

Miami for the mini-MLE

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 05:04 PM
The Brooklyn Nets have reached agreement on a three-year, $5 million contract with free-agent forward Reggie Evans, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Evans will join the Nets in a sign-and-trade deal with the Los Angeles Clippers. The Clippers will receive a future second-round draft pick while the Nets use a $3 million trade exception to acquire Evans.

Evans averaged 1.9 points and 4.8 rebounds in 13.8 minutes over 56 games for the Clippers last season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--nets-land-reggie-evans-in-sign-and-trade-deal.html

CGD
07-03-2012, 05:04 PM
After looking at it more closely, the Teltovic for the full $5M MLE seems weird. If they sign him to that, they will have a hard cap and won't be able to do the Howard trade they are trying to do.

I wouldn't be surprised that in fact Teletovic is getting the full taxpayer MLE ($9.7M/3 years).

Or they think that the pathetic trade proposal they made to Orlando was more wishful than realistic. And as a result telo is a backup plan.

Sure magic get 3 1st rounders but with that team those are going to be mid 20s NOT lottery picks. I get that a team is not going to get equal value for a player of Dwight's talents, but if I were a magic fan and I accepted that trade I'd be pissed. I think orlando ships Dwight to LAL, or discusses a trade with ATL based on Hortford. My two cents on that.

Bruno
07-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Or they think that the pathetic trade proposal they made to Orlando was more wishful than realistic. And as a result telo is a backup plan.

Sure magic get 3 1st rounders but with that team those are going to be mid 20s NOT lottery picks. I get that a team is not going to get equal value for a player of Dwight's talents, but if I were a magic fan and I accepted that trade I'd be pissed. I think orlando ships Dwight to LAL, or discusses a trade with ATL based on Hortford. My two cents on that.

Yeah, that's an horrible deal for Magic but Howard killed most of his trade value by saying he would only re-sign with Nets. Magic GM is in a nightmare situation. Poor franchise and poor fans.

I'm surprised Nets gave up that quickly on their last shot at getting Howard just to sign Teletovic.

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Unclear when Shawne Williams' buyout with Portland may be done, but they're working on it. Would be yet another free agent for the pool.

https://twitter.com/#!/sam_amick

ace3g
07-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Deron Williams has reached agreement on a 5 year, $100 million extension with Brooklyn, a league source tells Y! Sports.

Deron Williams just tweeted a Nets logo on his twitter account, and said "Made a tough decision today." Sources confirm he's told Nets.

DesignatedT
07-03-2012, 06:10 PM
lol dallas

crc21209
07-03-2012, 06:40 PM
:lol Mavs... Unstaaaaaccckkkeeeeddd.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-03-2012, 06:45 PM
So there's literally no way for the Nets to get Dwight now? Even if Orlando wanted to accept that crappy offer?

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 06:48 PM
So there's literally no way for the Nets to get Dwight now? Even if Orlando wanted to accept that crappy offer?

They can still get him. If not now, then after December 15th when all the players signed this summer are eligible to be traded. I just don't see a guy like Hennigan, who learned under R.C. and Presti, making that trade with the Nets.

DPG21920
07-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Mel, Hollinger wrote an article (Insider) on why this move (along with using their MLE) kills BKY's chances to get Dwight. Doesn't make sense to me how he came to that conclusion unless in the article he states there is no way ORL trades with BKY.

Mel_13
07-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Mel, Hollinger wrote an article (Insider) on why this move (along with using their MLE) kills BKY's chances to get Dwight. Doesn't make sense to me how he came to that conclusion unless in the article he states there is no way ORL trades with BKY.

Doesn't make sense to me either.

ace3g
07-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard

Eric Gordon and the Phoenix Suns agree to a Maximum Offer sheet worth $58 million over 4 years, sources said.

Andthentherewas21
07-03-2012, 09:44 PM

Eric Gordon and the Phoenix Suns agree to a Maximum Offer sheet worth $58 million over 4 years, sources said.

Well you knew someone was going to give it to him given the way this FA period has gone so far, but I'm a little surprised it was PHX

Obstructed_View
07-03-2012, 09:45 PM

I'd give this one a WTF, but then I see what Toronto's paying the guy Gordon's replacing.

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-04-2012, 01:54 AM
Stupid money being thrown around. 90% of these teams will regret their offers within a year at most.

Russo21
07-04-2012, 06:42 AM
So what the hell have the spurs done so far this offseason?

elemento
07-04-2012, 08:02 AM
It's scary when you see a scrub like Landry Fields getting 6m/year. He is a SG that can't shoot.

Danny Green is better in every aspect of the game compared to him.

elemento
07-04-2012, 08:02 AM

Russo21
07-04-2012, 08:41 AM
When are we gonna do something, i need some good news, promising news, any spurs news really

ace3g
07-04-2012, 08:53 AM
James White!!!

James White to sign a guaranteed contract with the Knicks

http://www.sportando.net/eng/usa/nba/40535/james-white-to-sign-a-guaranteed-contract-with-the-knicks.html

--

Calling it now, if he sticks with an NBA team up until all star weekend, he will win the dunk contest.

ace3g
07-04-2012, 02:32 PM

Free agent center Spencer Hawes has reached agreement on a two-year, $13M-plus extension with Philadelphia, league sources tell Y! Sports.

ace3g
07-04-2012, 03:57 PM

Hollinger and Lowe are reporting just that today, he got taxpayer MLE.

timvp
07-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Bruno is a monster, tbh.

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Nets working to get Teletovic for taxpayer MLE; key implications for Howard chase (Insider) http://es.pn/NmFm57

https://twitter.com/#!/johnhollinger

How exactly do you work to get a player to take 9M when you already agreed to give him 15M? Russian billionaire funny business.

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Okay, since I've been cagey about it all day, but now the news is spilling -- yes, the Nets got Teletovic for the $3.09M non-taxpayer MLE.

...and when I said "non-taxpayer MLE," I meant "taxpayer MLE." In other words, Nets will NOT have a hard cap at about $74.3 million.

https://twitter.com/#!/LarryCoon/

Bruno
07-04-2012, 06:11 PM
How exactly do you work to get a player to take 9M when you already agreed to give him 15M? Russian billionaire funny business.

My guess is that there have never been a $15M offer. It's likely the result of a misunderstanding. You can really well imagine the journalist source saying it's a 3 years deal for the full MLE with the journalist thinking of the non-taxpayer MLE while the soruce was talking about the taxpayer MLE.

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 06:45 PM
My guess is that there have never been a $15M offer. It's likely the result of a misunderstanding. You can really well imagine the journalist source saying it's a 3 years deal for the full MLE with the journalist thinking of the non-taxpayer MLE while the soruce was talking about the taxpayer MLE.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but if that was the case, why all the reports of working to get the player to take the lower figure? Why not simply a report that the initial account was erroneous? Also, there's the fact that a 2M buyout of his European contract was required. That's much easier to swallow on a 15M deal.

At any rate, if there was any funny business nothing will come of it. If Brooklyn's owner has managed to leverage his tremendous wealth in ways that are not quite within the letter or spirit of the CBA, those ways will not be scrutinized. A superteam will emerge in Brooklyn to serve as a suitable rival for the one in Miami.

Vic Petro
07-04-2012, 07:26 PM
@ESPNSteinLine
Just going up online & via SportsCenter: Sources say Suns have consented to sign-and-trade Steve Nash to Lakers for package of future picks

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Just going up online: Michael Beasley has committed to sign with Phoenix Suns on a three-year, $18 mil, sources close to situation tell

https://twitter.com/#!/ESPNSteinLine

ace3g
07-04-2012, 10:10 PM

7-3 center Hasheem Thabeet agrees to two-year deal with @okcthunder, source tells Y! Second overall pick '10 draft joining his fourth team.

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 10:18 PM

7-3 center Hasheem Thabeet agrees to two-year deal with @okcthunder, source tells Y! Second overall pick '10 draft joining his fourth team.

Insurance against the possibility that they can't keep Ibaka or have to amnesty Perkins? Otherwise, every minute he plays means a better player is on the bench.

Curious move by Mr. Presti.

Mel_13
07-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Grant Hill will either join Steve Nash and the Lakers or retire, a source close to the veteran forward told me.

https://twitter.com/#!/FisolaNYDN

Sean Cagney
07-04-2012, 10:38 PM
LOL no free agent here yet, this sucks so far. I was hoping for something to happen, but damn nothing yet.

Ice009
07-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Oh well, Hill is softer than I thought. If he is OK physically then I think he has plenty of game left, but to tie himself to Steve Nash like this is pathetic. There's plenty of good teams that can use him, but it sounds like he's too soft to play with anyone other than Nash. If he doesn't get to play with Nash and retires because of it is just silly.

ace3g
07-04-2012, 11:58 PM

Going online now: Suns move quickly after Steve Nash trade and strike four-year deal with Goran Dragic worth $34 million, sources tell ESPN

jesterbobman
07-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Awesome. Suns trade Dragic and a first, then sign him a year later.

I wouldn't want to give Dragic that, but that's the market price for him.

Sense
07-05-2012, 12:25 AM
Awesome. Suns trade Dragic and a first, then sign him a year later.

I wouldn't want to give Dragic that, but that's the market price for him.

definitely a better PG than Lin, I don't understand why the Rockets let him go if he is clearly better than Lowry and Lin, at least IMO.

Russo21
07-05-2012, 05:42 AM
Man i just hope we sign or trade someone soon. It's too quiet on the spurs front.

elemento
07-05-2012, 09:18 AM
NY won't let Lin go ! Lin is money machine and the Knicks FO knows it.

Morey is overrated. Now he is stuck with an unhappy Lowry, 7 PFs and no starting Center.

14th for the 4th year in a row !

wildbill2u
07-05-2012, 10:57 AM
definitely a better PG than Lin, I don't understand why the Rockets let him go if he is clearly better than Lowry and Lin, at least IMO.

Lowry is/was the starter and resented the minutes Dragic got after Lowry came back from his injury. He was threatening all sorts of things and wanted to be traded if Dragic signed for more money. Houston liked Dragic but didn't think he was ready to be number 1 PG.

I suspect NY will end Rockets flirtation with Linsanity by matching offer. Poor Rockets can't seem to get a break on the trading front or earlier by trying to movie up in draft to lottery pickets.

Many fans are getting upset with their FO and Morey for not making miracles happen but they may have to be satisfied with less than than their high expectations.

ace3g
07-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Jamal Crawford, Chauncey Billups to sign with Clippers

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-clippers-guards-20120705,0,1951283.story

ace3g
07-05-2012, 03:42 PM
looks like Kidd has decided to go to Knicks instead

Mel_13
07-05-2012, 03:45 PM
looks like Kidd has decided to go to Knicks instead

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/8133070/source-jason-kidd-agrees-deal-new-york-knicks

In an unforeseen reversal, Jason Kidd has decided to leave the Dallas Mavericks to join the New York Knicks, according to sources familiar with the decision.

With the Mavericks confident that they were closing in Thursday on a verbal agreement on a three-year deal with Kidd worth $9 million, sources told ESPN.com that Kidd -- after all-day deliberations with both teams -- has decided instead to leave Dallas to join the Knicks for a similar deal.

The contract can't actually be signed until July 11, which is the first day new NBA contracts can be signed. It's also possible, one source said, that Kidd could ultimately move to the Knicks in a sign-and-trade deal.

Sources briefed on the matter told ESPN.com that Kidd was ultimately swayed to take the Knicks' offer to come to New York and take on the challenge of trying to help the Knicks move into the Eastern Conference and also mentor fans darling' Jeremy Lin.

benefactor
07-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Best move for Dallas so far.

TD 21
07-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Insurance against the possibility that they can't keep Ibaka or have to amnesty Perkins? Otherwise, every minute he plays means a better player is on the bench.

Curious move by Mr. Presti.

I don't think it has anything to do with Ibaka, as neither Thabeet or Perkins can play power forward. This is all about Perkins. They're clearly trying to see if it would be possible to get by with Aldrich/Thabeet at center and not lose much, so that they could trade or amnesty Perkins, if necessary, to re-sign Harden and Ibaka.

ace3g
07-05-2012, 06:15 PM

League executive: "There are the 'name guys' and 'everyone else.' Prices on 'everyone else' seem to be falling. 'Name guys', going up."

timtonymanu
07-05-2012, 06:19 PM
So is Duncan the only top free agent that hasn't been publicly offered a contract yet?

Mel_13
07-05-2012, 06:31 PM
So is Duncan the only top free agent that hasn't been publicly offered a contract yet?

From the Duncan salary thread:

Spurs' fluid plan w/Spur For Life Tim Duncan: I'm told they'll pound out deal specifics & then finalize when timing meshes best w/other biz

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6003472&postcount=301

wildbill2u
07-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Has anyone posted about Rockets trading Lowry to Toronto for #4 lottery pick in 2013 draft? This was AFTER Dragic opted for the Suns. Now Houston has no legitimate PG.

Sports lines here in Houston are burning up. Most angry at Darrell Morey for not producing either a high lottery pick in the past or a miracle deal for a Superstar like Dwight Howard.

Morey may have decided to blow up the team so they can move way down in standings--and way up in the lottery sweepstakes as their only option. If they could wind up with two picks in the lottery next year, then that plan might be highly successful.

Obstructed_View
07-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Best move for Dallas so far.

Yep. Throwing money at Kidd would be crazy considering all the horses they've let out of the barn the last 12 months. Thank him for helping them win a ring and then figure out whether or not to put Dirk out of his misery or try to trade him for Dwight Howard.

Mel_13
07-05-2012, 06:56 PM
On the Celtics front, agent David Falk continues to say he thinks a deal gets done with Boston for free agent forward Jeff Green. One source with knowledge of the talks says it may be in the four years, $40 million neighborhood, but it is not done.
"I’m confident it’ll get done," Falk told SI.com. "I guess they got (Brandon) Bass' (contract) done, which is great. Jeff is trying to get a sense of what the team looks like first before he makes a commitment, but I expect he’ll be there and I expect it’ll be done by the 11th (when the free agency moratorium ends). We’ve gotten a lot of interest from other teams. But as far as Boston, we’re very confident we’ll get it done.
"He wants to be in Boston. He’s excited about the moves they’ve made. He’s hoping Ray Allen comes back as well, because he feels very close to Ray Allen." Allen is visiting Miami today and appears to be down to Boston and the Heat for his considerations.

http://sulia.com/channel/nba-free-agency-2012/f/c89b7dbf-be32-4891-b225-21558d4efe9f/?source=twitter

:wow

timvp
07-05-2012, 06:57 PM
4-year, $40 for Jeff Green? :smchode:

Duncan2177
07-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Jesus Christ how many big men does Boston need?

Mel_13
07-05-2012, 07:05 PM

As of July 1st they had zero under contract, so they need a few.

Libri
07-05-2012, 07:32 PM

KG might not even finish his current contract. Furthermore, an injury at his age could be more difficult to recover.

timvp
07-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Jeremy Evans got three years and $5.5M. Not much but a lot for someone who hasn't shown to be able to do anything other than finish alleyoop dunks.

benefactor
07-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Can't believe they are considering paying Jeff Green that much. That's almost a bid against yourself, RJ level contract.

CGD
07-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Has anyone posted about Rockets trading Lowry to Toronto for #4 lottery pick in 2013 draft? This was AFTER Dragic opted for the Suns. Now Houston has no legitimate PG.

Sports lines here in Houston are burning up. Most angry at Darrell Morey for not producing either a high lottery pick in the past or a miracle deal for a Superstar like Dwight Howard.

Morey may have decided to blow up the team so they can move way down in standings--and way up in the lottery sweepstakes as their only option. If they could wind up with two picks in the lottery next year, then that plan might be highly successful.

I was surprised that Lowry could fetched that high of a pick, so to me Houston did alright since the plan there seems to rebuild anyway. Apparently Houston isn't bound to take the pick if its in crappy, and if so can choose to take Toronto's pick in a later year.

Looks like Hornets and Rockets will be swapping positions in the West next year tbh. Hornets a 8-10 seed in the west, while Houston near the bottom.

CGD
07-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Can't believe they are considering paying Jeff Green that much. That's almost a bid against yourself, RJ level contract.

Agreed. I think they are hoping and praying he can be Pierce's successor or something. Wow.

Andthentherewas21
07-05-2012, 08:32 PM
At this point all of Houston's starters are going to be PFs and then Kevin Martin

elemento
07-05-2012, 08:37 PM
Morey's plan doesn't make any sense to me

If the plan is to rebuild, why the heck he gave big offers to Lin and Asik ? Why are they chasing Gordon in a S&T scenario ?

Houston fans may not admit but it has been a terrible off-season so far for them. No starting PG, no starting Center, 7 PFs and a starting SG that doesn't want to play there anymore.