PDA

View Full Version : Tiago is playing the least amount of minutes of all the bigs right now...

Amuseddaysleeper
02-01-2012, 10:42 PM
....has Pop given up on him lately or what?

We're also back to seeing virtually no Duncan/Tiago.

:bang

thispego
02-01-2012, 10:45 PM
ANNNDDDD??? you're fuckin dumb as shit, please no more threads from you :rolleyes

Amuseddaysleeper
02-01-2012, 10:49 PM
And what moron? He's the 2nd best big only getting 17 minutes tonight despite shooting 75% from the floor and grabbing 6 boards.

You're an idiot, if you think otherwise

Cry Havoc
02-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Duncan and Bonner were both hot, that's basically all. Tiago still could have gotten more court time though.

Robz4000
02-01-2012, 10:54 PM
He should play more than Blair for sure, but lets be honest, Bonner has been a beast lately. If he keeps up the intensity, I'll be ecstatic.

txstr1986
02-01-2012, 11:00 PM
I'm as high on Tiago as the next guy and am generally pissed when Bonner gets twice the playing time, but Bonner did play very well tonight. The Spurs were +19 when he was on the floor, second only to Neal's +20.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-01-2012, 11:01 PM
as long as we beat a team that has owned us recently, I can't argue about rotations.

acoelho1
02-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Bonner may have played well tonight but in the long run, he will hurt us in the playoffs if he plays more minutes than Tiago. Unrelated but Green should be starting over RJ. I'm sick of RJ and Blair for that matter.

MattBonnerExperience
02-01-2012, 11:10 PM
I don't understand why Blair gets more play than tiago, niether of them have range but atleast tiago can defend.

DesignatedT
02-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Bonner played a great game and has been playing that way for most of this season. Tiago needs more minutes also but Duncan was hot and is likely sitting out tomorrow. Blair needs to go. People calling for Bonner and not Blair are fucking retarded.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-01-2012, 11:15 PM
I have no problem with Bonner tonight (or his minutes for once) he played fantastic.

It's just frustrating that just when Pop seemed to be turning the corner with showing more trust in Tiago he takes 10 steps backwards and gives him pathetic minutes and has all but abandoned giving the Tiago/Duncan combo more time to get used to each other.

It's not just this game, but the last 3-4 games have felt like Tiago isn't even breaking 25 min anymore. Pathetic.

timtonymanu
02-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Bonner played a great game and has been playing that way for most of this season. Tiago needs more minutes also but Duncan was hot and is likely sitting out tomorrow. Blair needs to go. People calling for Bonner and not Blair are fucking retarded.

THIS

Bonner pisses me off a lot but not as much as Blair. At least Bonner sticks to what he does best and he acts like a professional all the time. Blair, OTOH, turns emo when he gets benched and plays lazy a lot. I remember a time when Blair use to outplay Bonner.

GSH
02-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Did anybody even notice that Luis Scola had 4 points tonight? Thank Blair for a lot of that. He worked his ass of on Scola, and it was good work.

I thought it was odd when Pop brought Tiago in, and he looked like a continuation of the beasting Timmy had been doing - then he pulled him after just a few minutes. I keep looking for some kind of logic. Like maybe Tiago is going to have to play the Timmy role tomorrow night, so he was saving him. If Tiago gets short minutes tomorrow, then I'll officially start pulling hair.

8FOR!3
02-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Did anybody even notice that Luis Scola had 4 points tonight? Thank Blair for a lot of that. He worked his ass of on Scola, and it was good work.

I thought it was odd when Pop brought Tiago in, and he looked like a continuation of the beasting Timmy had been doing - then he pulled him after just a few minutes. I keep looking for some kind of logic. Like maybe Tiago is going to have to play the Timmy role tomorrow night, so he was saving him. If Tiago gets short minutes tomorrow, then I'll officially start pulling hair.

Tbh from what I saw Bonner had Scola on lock as well.

DesignatedT
02-01-2012, 11:21 PM
THIS

Bonner pisses me off a lot but not as much as Blair. At least Bonner sticks to what he does best and he acts like a professional all the time. Blair, OTOH, turns emo when he gets benched and plays lazy a lot. I remember a time when Blair use to outplay Bonner.

It's just a matter of time before Blair starts complaining about PT and shit. Whether it's this year or in the future it will happen. Need to unload him now while he has some value (At least i think he has some value)

8FOR!3
02-01-2012, 11:27 PM
See I'm not big on the idea of starting Danny Green. I think he makes the perfect 6th Man for us. He's like Manu Light Platinum.

TD 21
02-01-2012, 11:29 PM

I agree. Blair passed Bonner on the drives-me-nuts scale early last season and the gap has only grown. Blair and Jefferson kill this team with their lazy play. Supposedly the Spurs Director or Player Personnel was at the Celtics-Raptors game tonight. They're probably looking into A. Johnson and Davis. They should offer Jefferson, Blair and their 1st for Johnson, Gray or Alabi and their 2nd. But even if the Raptors were inclined to pull the trigger, they'd likely wait and see if they can sign W. Chandler first.

Not only did I not have a problem with the rotation tonight, but I thought Pop worked it masterfully. Unfortunately, he'll likely screw up tomorrow by not playing Duncan. With the state this team is in, they can't afford to lose a home game to the Hornets. Duncan should play the first six minutes and if the starters can be bothered to play like they give a damn off the hop for once and have the game under control like they should, then pull him for the remainder of the half. The same should apply in the second half. But to not even have the option of playing him is ridiculous. I'd much rather he sit out the Thunder game.

DesignatedT
02-01-2012, 11:30 PM
See I'm not big on the idea of starting Danny Green. I think he makes the perfect 6th Man for us. He's like Manu Light Platinum.

You're probably right.

mercos
02-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Pop stuck with the hot hands tonight and we got a win so I ain't complaining. I would guess Splitter got limited minutes because Duncan will be resting tomorrow. It worked out perfectly since TD was red hot tonight. Bonner has been playing fantastic lately so no complaints there. Good effort from the bigs tonight.

DesignatedT
02-01-2012, 11:35 PM
I agree. Blair passed Bonner on the drives-me-nuts scale early last season and the gap has only grown. Blair and Jefferson kill this team with their lazy play. Supposedly the Spurs Director or Player Personnel was at the Celtics-Raptors game tonight. They're probably looking into A. Johnson and Davis. They should offer Jefferson, Blair and their 1st for Johnson, Gray or Alabi and their 2nd. But even if the Raptors were inclined to pull the trigger, they'd likely wait and see if they can sign W. Chandler first.

Not only did I not have a problem with the rotation tonight, but I thought Pop worked it masterfully. Unfortunately, he'll likely screw up tomorrow by not playing Duncan. With the state this team is in, they can't afford to lose a home game to the Hornets. Duncan should play the first six minutes and if the starters can be bothered to play like they give a damn off the hop for once and have the game under control like they should, then pull him for the remainder of the half. The same should apply in the second half. But to not even have the option of playing him is ridiculous. I'd much rather he sit out the Thunder game.

Interesting note about the Raps game. While I tend to agree, I think we should be able to handle the Hornets without Tim and 4 games in 5 nights (5 in 7) is pretty rough.

angelbelow
02-01-2012, 11:40 PM

Not exactly. They're just different players who have different strengths and weaknesses. Bonner should be ahead on the depth chart right now cause hes on fire. Bonner is also the smarter player but hes fragile and could fall off at any time. Going into games you just have to feel out both players and see who can give you more for that game. That's why both are 4th or 5th caliber big men.

The work he did against Dirk and Scola were surprising and impressive (I thought he defended Dirk better than Splitter). Overall he hasn't been better than Bonner so he doesn't deserve to have more minutes. But I think the Blair hatewagon is unjustified.

Exploring a trade with Blair is a good idea right now. He probably has the higher value since hes younger and cheaper than Bonner. Not sure what his value is though, would'nt be worth it if it were just a 2ndrounder.

TD 21
02-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Interesting note about the Raps game. While I tend to agree, I think we should be able to handle the Hornets without Tim and 4 games in 5 nights (5 in 7) is pretty rough.

He could have easily just been their for advance scouting, though. They play the Raptors during the rodeo trip.

I agree, they should be able to handle them, but who has confidence that they will? Virtually every game is a struggle for this team right now and it will be that way until Ginobili and to a lesser extent Ford, return. They can't take any team for granted.

This game should be treated as a must win. Play Duncan and play the key players in general as many minutes as it takes to ensure victory. Then if they don't have it against the Thunder, pull the plug early, empty the bench and look ahead to the rodeo trip. But if they attempt to have their cake and eat it too, they increase the risk of losing both.

crc21209
02-01-2012, 11:46 PM
The way Bonner and Blair have been playing over the past weeks, I would go with Bonner. So with that being said I would give ALL or MOST of Blair's minutes to Tiago right now. Blair can have garbage time....

Brazil
02-01-2012, 11:50 PM
It also possible that Tim is going to sit next game and that pop limited his minutes tonite to be ready to play a bunch next one

DPG21920
02-01-2012, 11:51 PM

Que?

Bill_Brasky
02-01-2012, 11:57 PM
It also possible that Tim is going to sit next game and that pop limited his minutes tonite to be ready to play a bunch next one

This is my thought. I expect another 30+ min, 20+ pts, 10+ rebs game from Tiago tomorrow night with Tim surely resting.

ducks
02-02-2012, 12:16 AM
hopefully spurs will not need duncan tomorrow and will rest him

spectator
02-02-2012, 12:27 AM
This is my thought. I expect another 30+ min, 20+ pts, 10+ rebs game from Tiago tomorrow night with Tim surely resting.

exactly - this was pop's intention all along; both teams' SGs and Cs will be out tomorrow. spurs should win on account of better PG, coach, bench and home game.

Ditty
02-02-2012, 12:40 AM

+1

Props to Blair for fronting Scola alot tonight...I like that matchup now, I'm just tired of Blair being a blackhole, and taking too many shots. If we get Martin, then of course I think Blair will be the odd man out.

Obstructed_View
02-02-2012, 12:40 AM
When Bonner's hitting shots and fighting for rebounds, I have no real problem with how man minutes he gets, particularly if there's another game tomorrow night and Splitter's likely going to start.

silverblk mystix
02-02-2012, 02:21 AM
Lol ...people falling for this Pop senility again...

LOL falling for "Bonner is not that bad" again....

LOL falling for that "Tiago didn't play that much because Pop is________ & ________ & bull-fuckin'-shit....

You guys never learn....

Wait til Pop & Boner break your hearts again in the playoffs and then you will be ...."Tiago will really get playing time in his third year....

Pop will really play Tiago next season......

Dumbshits.

jjktkk
02-02-2012, 02:26 AM
:cry:cry:cry:cry I hate Pop, when he proves me wrong again and again and...

silverblk mystix
02-02-2012, 02:31 AM
No, I hate Pop. Period.

Blake
02-02-2012, 03:02 AM
No, I hate Pop. Period.

quick, name a coach you would rather have that would also be willing to coach in SA.

mystargtr34
02-02-2012, 03:07 AM
Ive said this before.. Come playoff time I can envision the Spurs getting regularly torched by front lines being guarded by Blair and Bonner and even guards having a field day at the rim with Tiago on the bench. The Spurs fall in a 2-1 or 3-1 series hole like they did against the Grizz and Pop panicking again and thrusting Tiago into the lineup when it's too late.

I was damn sure he learned his lesson after benching Blair and playin Tiago heavy minutes after the Spurs were in a hole against the Grizz... but it's obvious now that he hasn't learned a thing.

Which teams are the Spurs going to have any success against in the playoffs playing small ball.. Because honestly the Spurs only have 2 big men on the roster.. I don't know how you would categorize Blair and Bonner but they certaintly aren't NBA bigmen. Each potential playoff opponent has a all star caliber big man. Even Tim can't guard these guys anymore let alone Blair and Bonner.

Unbelievable tbh

jjktkk
02-02-2012, 03:21 AM
Ive said this before.. Come playoff time I can envision the Spurs getting regularly torched by front lines being guarded by Blair and Bonner and even guards having a field day at the rim with Tiago on the bench. The Spurs fall in a 2-1 or 3-1 series hole like they did against the Grizz and Pop panicking again and thrusting Tiago into the lineup when it's too late.

I was damn sure he learned his lesson after benching Blair and playin Tiago heavy minutes after the Spurs were in a hole against the Grizz... but it's obvious now that he hasn't learned a thing.

Which teams are the Spurs going to have any success against in the playoffs playing small ball.. Because honestly the Spurs only have 2 big men on the roster.. I don't know how you would categorize Blair and Bonner but they certaintly aren't NBA bigmen. Each potential playoff opponent has a all star caliber big man. Even Tim can't guard these guys anymore let alone Blair and Bonner.

Unbelievable tbh

Different circumstances. Splitter has proven himself this year. Now if the same thing happens in regards to Splitter riding the pine in the playoffs, then yes, that will be a really stupid, decision by Pop.

SpurNation
02-02-2012, 07:25 AM

This for now. As you said...if Tiago doesn't get more time tonight or the team quits trying to find Tiago like they find Duncan...(perhaps a "99%" demonstration at Spurs HQ should be in order?) <(joke)

Amuseddaysleeper
02-02-2012, 09:15 AM
In fairness I guess it does make more sense that Pop could be "saving" Splitter for the 2nd night of the back to back assuming TD doesn't play, or plays very limited minutes.

Guess we'll find out tonight.

TJastal
02-02-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm as high on Tiago as the next guy and am generally pissed when Bonner gets twice the playing time, but Bonner did play very well tonight. The Spurs were +19 when he was on the floor, second only to Neal's +20.

And guess what? Part of the reason Bonner is beasting is because of the emergence of Neal, Green & especially Splitter taking the opposing teams attentions away from him. If Bonner was the focus of the defense he'd be putting up his usual playoff numbers or worse.

Now imagine putting a guy like, say, Ryan Anderson next to Splitter. A guy who can pull down 20 boards on any given night and still knock down 6-7 from downtown. A guy who defenses will have to account for every night or pay a steep price. Imagine how much MORE effective the other guys playing next to Bonner would be.

TJastal
02-02-2012, 10:57 AM

Unbelievable tbh

This guy gets it ^

Amuseddaysleeper
02-02-2012, 10:58 AM
And guess what? Part of the reason Bonner is beasting is because of the emergence of Neal, Green & especially Splitter taking the opposing teams attentions away from him. If Bonner was the focus of the defense he'd be putting up his usual playoff numbers or worse.

Now imagine putting a guy like, say, Ryan Anderson next to Splitter. A guy who can pull down 20 boards on any given night and still knock down 6-7 from downtown. A guy who defenses will have to account for every night or pay a steep price. Imagine how much MORE effective the other guys playing next to Bonner would be.

Ryan Anderson would be a dream come true. Hell, I'd even take Chase Buddinger over Bonner, despite Bonner picking up the slack lately.

TJastal
02-02-2012, 11:06 AM
quick, name a coach you would rather have that would also be willing to coach in SA.

I'd love Scott Skiles tbh. This guy is doing a helluva coaching job over in Milwaukee so far. That team is down its best player (Bogut) is filled with journeymen from every walk of the nba, is riddled with a team cancer (Stephen Jackson) yet Skiles is still somehow winning games he shouldn't be even dreaming of winning. At home AND on the road. Give him the reigns in SA and I bet you by the end of the year he would have Splitter getting 30-35 a night and putting up damn near all-star numbers along with directing the spurs into the best record in the western conference. And I
guarandamntee you no team would ever think of tanking games in order to face his club.

5in10
02-02-2012, 11:30 AM
So I have Tiago on my fantasy team and was looking at his stats. One thing I just noticed is that in the past 12 games (thats all I can see) when Tiago gets over 25 minutes we have not won one single game. Does anyone else find that kind of weird?

5in10
02-02-2012, 11:34 AM
So I have Tiago on my fantasy team and was looking at his stats. One thing I just noticed is that in the past 12 games (thats all I can see) when Tiago gets over 25 minutes we have not won one single game. Does anyone else find that kind of weird?

Ok I just looked it up. It has been a trend all season not just the past 12 games except for the season opener. He played 33 minutes in that game and we won.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-02-2012, 11:46 AM

Probably cuz the Spurs got blown out so Pop gave him garbage time minutes

5in10
02-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Probably cuz the Spurs got blown out so Pop gave him garbage time minutes

:lol haha not a bad explanation.

Fireball
02-02-2012, 12:14 PM
:lol haha not a bad explanation.

thats not true either ... Pop does not leave Splitter on the court in real garbage time ... Blair has to do this job most of the time

acoelho1
02-02-2012, 12:45 PM
I'd love Scott Skiles tbh. This guy is doing a helluva coaching job over in Milwaukee so far. That team is down its best player (Bogut) is filled with journeymen from every walk of the nba, is riddled with a team cancer (Stephen Jackson) yet Skiles is still somehow winning games he shouldn't be even dreaming of winning. At home AND on the road. Give him the reigns in SA and I bet you by the end of the year he would have Splitter getting 30-35 a night and putting up damn near all-star numbers along with directing the spurs into the best record in the western conference. And I
guarandamntee you no team would ever think of tanking games in order to face his club.

Scott Skiles? I'll pass and it's not like the Bucks are setting the world on fire. They are below .500 and in 8th place in the conference. Also, let me remind you that we are also missing our best player and are still in the mix to be a top tier team in the west. However, I do share your frustration over Pops line ups but I can't really see anyone doing a better job overall. If I was pressed to bring someone in, it would probably be Larry Brown.

thispego
02-02-2012, 01:03 PM
And what moron? He's the 2nd best big only getting 17 minutes tonight despite shooting 75% from the floor and grabbing 6 boards.

You're an idiot, if you think otherwise

I haven't been able to see all the games this year but even I know pop has been playing splitter less minutes in the first half of back to backs so he can take the heavier workload the next night.

You really think it's necessary for you to start threads for every game? Keep this shit in the game blog. :rolleyes