PDA

View Full Version : • Frye believes he's a lottery pick

ducks
06-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Channing Frye believes he should be a lottery pick in upcoming NBA draft
June 18, 2005

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) -- Channing Frye, whose NBA prospects were boosted by a strong showing in the NCAA tournament for Arizona, believes he's the second-best center available in the June 28 draft and should be a lottery pick.

``I feel very sure about (being a lottery pick),'' Frye said at a news conference here Friday. ``I have proven myself to be the second best center (behind Utah's Andrew Bogut). Teams want a person with character. They want a center who is versatile, a center/forward. I think I can fit that role.''

Various reports have Frye projected as a top 10 selection, or possibly being taken by the New York Knicks at No. 8 or the Golden State Warriors at the ninth spot.

ADVERTISEMENT
``Put it this way -- at the beginning of the year people thought I was going to go in the second round, and then half way through the season I was like 22nd, and now people are saying ninth or eighth,'' Frye said. ``Wherever I land is wherever I land and I am going to take advantage of it.''

Frye is awaiting word from his agent about whether he will be among the players brought to the draft for early first-round selection.

His stock has soared since the Wildcats' season ended in the Elite Eight of the NCAA tournament against Illinois despite not having individual workouts with any NBA squads.

After averaging 15.8 points and 7.6 rebounds in his senior season, Frye said he won't start thinking about private workout sessions until next week.

He has been staying busy, however, working out mostly in Chicago with current NBA players, or potentially high draft selections.

The 6-foot-11 Frye said he is up to 250 pounds -- 20 pounds heavier than when Arizona's season ended -- and he hopes to put on at least another 5 or 10 pounds before his first NBA game.

``I feel more explosive. I can dunk through the legs now easy,'' Frye said. ``Just my ability to get to the hole quicker is better. I may not look extremely big but I think I can lift with the best of them. It doesn't matter how much you weigh as long as you get the job done.''

Fry's college image was as a pure jump shooter who could run the court well and get out on the break.

He believes he has proven to NBA teams that he'll be able to pound with the best players in the paint by his steady stream of workouts.

``There is always a target you want to push for. I think I can build to 255, 260. I need to add meat,'' Frye said.