PDA

View Full Version : Sean Elliott's comment tonight.

Caeman
02-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Tonight Sean made a comment while Timmy had the ball in the post in the fourth quarter. He said something to the effect that the Spurs need to show the same respect to Tiago as they do to Timmy in the post. Sean saw that the Spurs were making a concerted effort to get the ball to Timmy (he did have the hot hand) and then made that comment about Tiago should get the same respect.

Do you feel that Tiago should be getting the same respect? That is, should we feed him in the same manner that we feed Timmy? Do you think that Tiago is getting enough respect considering his recent stats?

I ask because most times I see that Tiago show a ton of hustle, but doesn't get the same respect when he tries to post up. He'll set a couple screens and post deep (deeper than Timmy at times), but he doesn't see the ball. I don't think that Tiago becomes discouraged by this, as is evident by the stats he puts up. However, should Pop shift the focus to have Tiago start initiating the offensive sets more often?

I mean inside out basketball is more conducive to winning in the playoffs.

timvp
02-02-2012, 01:49 AM
Quality post.

Yeah, I think Splitter definitely needs more touches. What's baffling is Pop will draw up plays specifically to get the ball to Splitter in the low block but the person who is supposed to feed him usually gives up on the play. I don't know if Splitter isn't doing a good enough job sealing off his man and offering a target to receive the pass, or if his teammates just aren't accustomed to getting him the ball. It's probably a mixture of both.

mystargtr34
02-02-2012, 01:55 AM

Caeman
02-02-2012, 01:56 AM
Quality post.

Yeah, I think Splitter definitely needs more touches. What's baffling is Pop will draw up plays specifically to get the ball to Splitter in the low block but the person who is supposed to feed him usually gives up on the play. I don't know if Splitter isn't doing a good enough job sealing off his man and offering a target to receive the pass, or if his teammates just aren't accustomed to getting him the ball. It's probably a mixture of both.

I guess having a quality PG to back Parker might solve some of the problems. I'm very tired of seeing Tiago roll to the basket and Neal/Green/Parker (sometimes) cannot deliver the ball.

mystargtr34
02-02-2012, 01:56 AM
The Spurs have a lot of low iq and one dimensional players. RJ, Gary Neal and Bonner are atrocious passers and readers of the game. Unfortunately for Tiago he plays the majority of his minutes with these guys. Danny Green is really the only guy to me that seems to consistently look for Tiago in the post before jacking shots or giving up on the play.

Cane
02-02-2012, 02:00 AM
Tiago's often on the court with shoot first players that have the green light as long as the energy level is there.

Hopefully TJ Ford and Manu Ginobili have been paying attention.

Caeman
02-02-2012, 02:00 AM
I've notice that, maybe due to matchups, Tiago can post his opponent deeper in the paint than Timmy nowadays. I see Timmy recieve the ball around 14-16ft away, but Tiago can get a few feet closer. That needs to be exploited (as well as Tiago's court awareness).

DrSteffo
02-02-2012, 02:07 AM
Quality post.
I don't know if Splitter isn't doing a good enough job sealing off his man and offering a target to receive the pass, or if his teammates just aren't accustomed to getting him the ball. It's probably a mixture of both.

Really? Splitter is often wide open and Neal and others still prefer to try a contested circus shot rather than just pass him the ball.

timvp
02-02-2012, 02:12 AM
I've notice that, maybe due to matchups, Tiago can post his opponent deeper in the paint than Timmy nowadays. I see Timmy recieve the ball around 14-16ft away, but Tiago can get a few feet closer. That needs to be exploited (as well as Tiago's court awareness).Duncan lost weight and age probably has robbed some strength so those two things combine for why it's difficult for him to get good post positions these days.

Really? Splitter is often wide open and Neal and others still prefer to try a contested circus shot rather than just pass him the ball.I'm talking about straight 4-down-esque plays. Not pick-and-rolls or freelance penetrations.

SenorSpur
02-02-2012, 02:20 AM
Quality post.

As crazy as this may sound, I actually believe Splitter is better at sealing his man in the low block than Duncan is, at this point in his career. If nothing more than the fact that he usually does it so much more often.

In fact, I've actually seen Splitter seal his man on numerous occasions, on consecutive possessions, without ever seeing the ball. Of course, he's always there to try and clean up the garbage, off a missed perimeter shot.

I believe Sean is on point with him comment. Sean has also criticized the other players for not getting it back into Splitter on a re-post, after a pass out. Parker is usually the best at deliberately trying to get Splitter the ball. The other players? Not so much. Those other players absolutely MUST look to feed the post when Splitter is down there. They're just having too much success down there.

Caeman
02-02-2012, 02:41 AM
As crazy as this may sound, I actually believe Splitter is better at sealing his man in the low block than Duncan is, at this point in his career. If nothing more than the fact that he usually does it so much more often.

In fact, I've actually seen Splitter seal his man on numerous occasions, on consecutive possessions, without ever seeing the ball. Of course, he's always there to try and clean up the garbage, off a missed perimeter shot.

I believe Sean is on point with him comment. Sean has also criticized the other players for not getting it back into Splitter on a re-post, after a pass out. Parker is usually the best at deliberately trying to get Splitter the ball. The other players? Not so much. Those other players absolutely MUST look to feed the post when Splitter is down there. They're just having too much success down there.

This is what i'm referring to. Splitter puts himself in great position to receive the ball in the post but never sees the ball. Instead, he'll have to give up the position due a screen being call (this frustrates me the most because gaining leverage is not something that is easy to do at this level). Subsequently, the guard will drive and shoot, or kick it out to someone out on the perimeter for a jumper. The point being that Splitter is not being rewarded enough for his effort and hustle.

ElNono
02-02-2012, 02:49 AM
I thought today was probably the first time that the team actually came out of a timeout in the 2nd quarter and the play called for posting Tiago. Probably borne out of necessity since we were bricking everything. I just think the Spurs are more accustomed to run flex and pick and roll with the bench, and so you see less inside-out game. Which is a shame.

I agree Tiago should be posted more. He doesn't have to finish every play, but today in the first half was an example where we really needed to go back to some basic plays like that and we didn't (except for the aforementioned time).

Ultimately Tiago has also been suffering from the fact that there's no point guard running offense with him. He has looked good with Tony in limited time out there, and also with TJ Ford. I'm sure he would also do well playing some pick and roll with Manu. It's stuff to look forward to.

The ADMIRAL 50
02-02-2012, 02:55 AM
Tiago definitely needs more touches down low within the run of the offense than he is seeing right now. He really only seems to be getting the ball on his own, or off dishes from a driver or the PnR. Whenever he is posting up he never gets fed the ball, and as y'all have said I'm just as baffled as you are.

When Tiago first got here last year, and to start off this season, he consistently looked awkward on offense and wasn't nearly as effective as he has been lately. He seemed to be trying to do all the things he was already good at, but it looked awkward as hell because he didn't have a clue how to apply his skills in a much different and much more physically challenging NBA atmosphere. Pop is definitely largely to blame for this being such a slow transition, as Splitter's lack of minutes over the past year and a half has definitely held him back, but Tiago has figured it out. He has played long enough to get the NBA game now, and has learned how to apply his skills on an NBA court with an increasingly impressive effectiveness. He really looks like he can be a player...that is if we let him.

Added to his much hyped scoring efficiency is the fact that Tiago is just showing his skills as an all around solid basketball player. He defends well both in the post and as an overall team defender. He takes charges and hustles, and he understands the flow of an offense and passes well within it. As Caeman pointed out the inside out game can really serve us well, especially when Splitter is on the court with three point shooters like Neal, Bonner, and (sometimes) Green. Shooters that, if working from the post, I definitely expect Tiago would be capable of finding. Sadly, as mystargtr pointed out, this isn't a very impressive group of play makers, and as we have all seen they just are not getting it to him for whatever reason. Even if Pop is running plays for him as TIMVP suggests, he really needs to emphasize getting it to Splitter a lot more. He deserves it and Pop needs to wake up and make him a bigger part of the picture while will still have time to gel as a squad and let him grow into a larger role.

The ADMIRAL 50
02-02-2012, 02:58 AM
Ultimately Tiago has also been suffering from the fact that there's no point guard running offense with him. He has looked good with Tony in limited time out there, and also with TJ Ford. I'm sure he would also do well playing some pick and roll with Manu. It's stuff to look forward to.

:tu

I agree, once those two return our whole offense and a lot of our players will be better served. I'm sure Tiago in particular will be looking forward to it as well.

Caeman
02-02-2012, 03:06 AM
Is it just me or does TP have a tendency to call his own number (screen into a jump shot) way too often when the shotclock is under 10 seconds?

I don't mind the play necessarily, but I feel that maybe TP thinks that 10 seconds is not enough time to call a different play. He'll either call his number, takes the screen and shoots or he'll call the screen and run off of it and pass to Bonner or Jefferson for a 3 (elbow 3).

Maybe it's just me though but Tony needs to have more confidence that 10 seconds is more than enough time to run something down low. For example, that play at the end of the half when TP had 4 seconds. He ran down the length of the court and dished it to Anderson for a 3. He did that in 3 or 4 seconds. The point being that 10 seconds is more than enough time to start being selfish (maybe the wrong word, more like lazy or uninventive i guess with the playcalling).

MI21
02-02-2012, 03:06 AM
Tiago is making great position a lot of the time. Nothing wrong with his ability to seal. He gets a nice wide stance happening making it hard for the defender to step around him and his core strength seems to have come out of nowhere because he is getting bounced off the block like I have seen in the past.

The art of post-passing is a very underrated one. I think a lot of the Spurs players just flat out aren't good at it. Neal and Jefferson in particular. I don't know if I've seen them feed Tiago at all - or even Blair, who can make great position at times and needs to be feed quickly and effectively so he can get a good shot off. Re-posting is very important as well and that's something I see basically none of from these Spurs.

Robert Horry was the best I've seen at feeding the post, faking the feed to get a better feed and he also spaced well to make any man doubling off of him pay. I think a number of the Spurs players could learn something by watching tapes of Horry.

angelbelow
02-02-2012, 03:07 AM
Actually, I love when Parker decides NOT to pass it to Tiago. The reason is that Parker usually ends up with a a GREAT clean look at the basket. The reason is that it usually means that Parker just got a high percentage shot. But make no mistake, Parker definitely looks for him before making a decision. Either Parker gets to the paint and finishes or he dishes it to Tiago for high percentage shot. Rarely doesn't it end up being a kickout/reset or a poor percentage possession.

The problem is definitely playing with a lack of ball handlers. Pops draws plays for him where he's isolated on the left side of the court and his teammates see him calling for it, but for some reason.. it just doesn't happen. Sean was frustrated in the 2nd too, saying something to the effect of "Give him the ball damn it!"

With a guy like Neal running plays, its tough to get anything kind of set play going (motion offense usually ensues with green and neal in the backcourt). When Neal decides to drive the ball, he HAS to put up that floater (or if we're lucky he gets all the way to the hole) because he doesn't have the ability to pass it out. If he tries to pass then chalk up a turnover for us.

The past few game Splitter has been stuck with Neal and Green doing most of the ball handling, therefore his PnR game with Parker (that was so successful during Splitter's infamous 75% streak) is rare. Splitter should benefit greatly when Manu comes back (goes without saying because everyone will benefit) and TJ as well.

MI21
02-02-2012, 03:09 AM
Is it just me or does TP have a tendency to call his own number (screen into a jump shot) way too often when the shotclock is under 10 seconds?

I don't mind the play necessarily, but I feel that maybe TP thinks that 10 seconds is not enough time to call a different play. He'll either call his number, takes the screen and shoots or he'll call the screen and run off of it and pass to Bonner or Jefferson for a 3 (elbow 3).

Maybe it's just me though but Tony needs to have more confidence that 10 seconds is more than enough time to run something down low. For example, that play at the end of the half when TP had 4 seconds. He ran down the length of the court and dished it to Anderson for a 3. He did that in 3 or 4 seconds. The point being that 10 seconds is more than enough time to start being selfish (maybe the wrong word, more like lazy or uninventive i guess with the playcalling).

Tony has the best chance out of anyone on the team to create his own shots with under 8 seconds left on the clock. The rest of the players are generally pretty one-dimensional in the fact they can't create there own shot. I've been pleased with Neal lately with his ability to do this, but still, I rather Tony creating then the Spurs playing hot-potato with the ball around the perimeter.

I also think that when Tony does that, the rest of the team kind of knows it's happening so they know they can concentrate on getting back in transition rather than getting in bad spots on the floor trying to spot up or cut.

Caeman
02-02-2012, 03:11 AM
Tiago is making great position a lot of the time. Nothing wrong with his ability to seal. He gets a nice wide stance happening making it hard for the defender to step around him and his core strength seems to have come out of nowhere because he is getting bounced off the block like I have seen in the past.

The art of post-passing is a very underrated one. I think a lot of the Spurs players just flat out aren't good at it. Neal and Jefferson in particular. I don't know if I've seen them feed Tiago at all - or even Blair, who can make great position at times and needs to be feed quickly and effectively so he can get a good shot off. Re-posting is very important as well and that's something I see basically none of from these Spurs.

Robert Horry was the best I've seen at feeding the post, faking the feed to get a better feed and he also spaced well to make any man doubling off of him pay. I think a number of the Spurs players could learn something by watching tapes of Horry.

I couldn't agree with you more. I might be wrong but I think Kawhi is capable of being a good option when it comes to delivering the ball into the post. He has long arms and is partial to that low bounce pass that he utilizes often. I think he can eventually be good at setting up post players.

Caeman
02-02-2012, 03:14 AM
Tony has the best chance out of anyone on the team to create his own shots with under 8 seconds left on the clock. The rest of the players are generally pretty one-dimensional in the fact they can't create there own shot. I've been pleased with Neal lately with his ability to do this, but still, I rather Tony creating then the Spurs playing hot-potato with the ball around the perimeter.

I also think that when Tony does that, the rest of the team kind of knows it's happening so they know they can concentrate on getting back in transition rather than getting in bad spots on the floor trying to spot up or cut.

I can see your reasoning. I wonder what TP would be capable of when it comes to assist numbers if he had the multi-dimensional players around him to pass to even when the shotclock goes under 10 seconds.

The ADMIRAL 50
02-02-2012, 03:14 AM

:tu

Its tough to accept but the Spurs really need to start viewing Tiago as a primary low post threat going forward and give him the touches to develop. He has been converting at a rate and as you said his success can't continue to be ignored. Especially in the regular season these minutes and touches needed to be shifted more towards Tiago. It doesn't help Timmy or the team to lean on him as the number one guy down low all season and wear him out while a more efficient (at the moment) option with younger legs and a need for minutes can't get more than 20 minutes a game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in any way on the Timmy is done wagon, I wanna burn that wagon. He's over the hill but as the man proved tonight and has at times this season, there's still some Tim Duncan left in the tank. If we can keep him fresh come playoff time, get Manu back in shape, keep Tony healthy, AND have an unleashed Tiago on a roll we could be a force. But it starts with trusting Splitter to fill enough of Timmy's void to allow the veteran GOAT less time on the court while giving the Brazilian more.

urunobili
02-02-2012, 05:11 AM
Playing Neal extended minutes does that to you. He doesn't feed Splitter :wakeup

TDMVPDPOY
02-02-2012, 05:42 AM
its fkn horseshit how they dont set plays or pass it down low to splitter when he gets really good position downlow, its the next bounce and backin up is killin him, but he usually scores when the ball goes into the basket

while blair gets touches and just hogs it into the lane...

Bender
02-02-2012, 05:53 AM
during every game, Sean Elliott almost always says the spurs are under-utilizing Splitter

Rapper
02-02-2012, 06:43 AM
I have no idea how come most of you guys have so much love on Tigao. man Timmy is a 14 time all stars and 3 time MVPs. he has been one of the biggest stars in the NBA since he was selected by the spurs in 1997. no one in the league can be compared with him except for guys like kobe ,Kg and Dirk. Even though he is getting older and not so that Timmy has all the respects without a doubt.

When you have the ball and play alongside a post player like Duncan. you would pass the ball to Duncan all because of his reliance and experience.

All I said is Tigao is just a so-so player and yes sometimes he works so hard and play some good balls. However, that is a different stroy comparing to Timmy.so Tiago should not be getting the same respect.

Rapper
02-02-2012, 06:53 AM
I have no idea how come most of you guys have so much love on Tigao. man Timmy is a 14 times all star and 3 time MVPs. he has been one of the biggest stars in the NBA since he was selected by the spurs in 1997. no one in the league can be compared with him except for guys like kobe ,Kg and Dirk. Even though he is getting older and not so that Timmy has all the respects without a doubt.

When you have the ball and play alongside a post player like Duncan. you would pass the ball to Duncan all because of his reliance and experience.

All I said is Tigao is just a so-so player and yes sometimes he works so hard and play some good balls. However, that is a different stroy comparing to Timmy.so Tiago should not be getting the same respect.

z0sa
02-02-2012, 07:02 AM
His minutes are the problem. Take tonight for example. You can't expect Tiago to get the touches he needs in 17 minutes of playing time.

SpurNation
02-02-2012, 07:09 AM
What does a coach have to do to get the message through?

Agree 100% with this post by the way. A better established inside-out game will go a lot further in playoff situations than continually relying on swing pass basketball when Duncan's not in the game. And Splinter's not going to get efficient at it if he's continually ignored.

Side note: I'm sure Pop can see what Elliott sees. Perhaps he's waiting until further along in the season to work Splitter more in that situation. That along with Ginobili returning should offer more of the looks Elliott is talking about. Still...as a coach you would think he could be a little more adamant to his players to at least not look off Splinter when open.

Horse
02-02-2012, 07:44 AM
We all know Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Lu ck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_Luck_The_Fakers_ is right, we must go inside out atleast till Manu gets back. This team can't run like it did last year without Manu, they get too out of control. After the last rockets game Splitter should've got the ball more and played more.

Amuseddaysleeper
02-02-2012, 09:28 AM
I have only seen the last two Spurs games

Fixed.

SenorSpur
02-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Another reason Tiago's conversion rate is so good is because he goes at the rim. He doesn't settle for fadeaway hookshots or low-percentage, off-balance jumpers. He either gets a good shot off or gets fouled - which, by the way, his FT% is also much-improved.

Tim is still the leader and a legitimate low-post threat, although he no longer plays on the low-block as consistently as he once did, when he was younger. Still, he does take a lot of bad, low-percentage shots when under duress.

Between the two of them, they could really punish a team on the inside - if they were used more together and on a consistent basis - which would open up perimeter shots for the other guys.

Hell, I'd also like to see Tiago and Tim play that high-low game that Tim and Dave made so routine.

Obstructed_View
02-02-2012, 10:22 AM
When Splitter has Parker he gets the ball. When it's Neal or Green they just bypass him. I think they passed the ball to Splitter three times against the Rockets and all three plays resulted in assists by Splitter for three pointers.

5in10
02-02-2012, 10:54 AM
It's been One of the frustrating things to watch this season, especially because Sean then rub it in by showing 3 plays where tiago is open but dumb rj shoots a 3 or someone else jacks something h up. When manu and ford get back I'm hoping to see him get the ball more. Do you guys think he could keep his same efficiency If he was getting maybe 10-14 shots a game?

Caeman
02-02-2012, 11:11 AM
I have no idea how come most of you guys have so much love on Tigao. man Timmy is a 14 time all stars and 3 time MVPs. he has been one of the biggest stars in the NBA since he was selected by the spurs in 1997. no one in the league can be compared with him except for guys like kobe ,Kg and Dirk. Even though he is getting older and not so that Timmy has all the respects without a doubt.

It's not so much about comparing both players as it is about letting Tiago initiate the offense in the same manner that Timmy does when he's on the court.

I understood Sean's comment to mean that Splitter should be given the respect as Timmy in that manner. Splitter is savvy and capable enough to do what Timmy does in the post.

SenorSpur
02-02-2012, 11:15 AM
It's not so much about comparing both players as it is about letting Tiago initiate the offense in the same manner that Timmy does when he's on the court.

I understood Sean's comment to mean that Splitter should be given the respect as Timmy in that manner. Splitter is savvy and capable enough to do what Timmy does in the post.

This.

None of these posts are meant to denegrate Tim in any way. This has absolutely nothing to with Duncan's legacy or the state of his game, as it is today.

The facts are the facts. Tiago is doing BIG work in the low post and needs more touches. Anybody who watches the game, Spurfan or not, should know this. When something is working you keep milking it until the defense proves they can stop it.

Caeman
02-02-2012, 11:19 AM
What does a coach have to do to get the message through?

Agree 100% with this post by the way. A better established inside-out game will go a lot further in playoff situations than continually relying on swing pass basketball when Duncan's not in the game. And Splinter's not going to get efficient at it if he's continually ignored.

Side note: I'm sure Pop can see what Elliott sees. Perhaps he's waiting until further along in the season to work Splitter more in that situation. That along with Ginobili returning should offer more of the looks Elliott is talking about. Still...as a coach you would think he could be a little more adamant to his players to at least not look off Splinter when open.

I had a similar line of thinking last year when Pop took his sweet time adding Tiago into the rotation. Unfortunately, we all know how that turned out.

I also agree that you would think that Pop would at least be more adamant about players not looking off Splitter when he's open. It's crazy that Pop jumped on TP's ass for not passing to Dejuan early in last night's Houston game. It was clear Pop was upset with TP's decision to instead pass the ball to Kawhi which resulted in a turnover. If anything, Pop should become more upset when this fails to occur with Tiago, not Dejuan.

xellos88330
02-02-2012, 11:19 AM
I do agree with what Sean said, depending on the matchup. Last night, Tiago should have had a much bigger role in the offense.

TimmehC
02-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Dude is shooting 61%, including 75% within 3 feet of the basket. Get him the fucking ball.

TJastal
02-02-2012, 11:23 AM
This.

None of these posts are meant to denegrate Tim in any way. This has absolutely nothing to with Duncan's legacy or the state of his game, as it is today.

The facts are the facts. Tiago is doing BIG work in the low post and needs more touches. Anybody who watches the game, Spurfan or not, should know this. When something is working you keep milking it until the defense proves they can stop it.

But that would make Pop look like a buffoon for not playing Splitter last season. So now we all have to sit and keep watching this ridiculous cat and mouse game with Splitter's touches and minutes. All so Pop doesn't look like a tard.

Caeman
02-02-2012, 11:24 AM
If it happens to be that Timmy and Tiago are sharing the court, then I would argue that Tiago should be the primary post if the matchup dictates it.

For example, if we are playing Houston and Timmy and Tiago are on the court. Dalembert will be guarding Timmy and Scola, Tiago. I think the smart choice would be to take advantage of the mismatch Tiago has and deliver him the ball inside.

GSH
02-02-2012, 11:30 AM
I've notice that, maybe due to matchups, Tiago can post his opponent deeper in the paint than Timmy nowadays. I see Timmy recieve the ball around 14-16ft away, but Tiago can get a few feet closer. That needs to be exploited (as well as Tiago's court awareness).

Some good observations in this thread. Tim's knees are the culprit. Actually, I think it's a combination of his knees, and the fact that he is playing lighter to take some of the load off of them. It's been 4-5 seasons since Tim was able to re-post nearer to the basket. I've talked about it here enough times. Watch for it and you'll see what I'm talking about. One of the techniques teams started using on Tim was that whenever he passes it out, they immediately give him a big two-handed shove in the back - and Tim just can't gain back the ground anymore. Tiago can.

If you look back at those recent games when Tiago was such a beast in the low post, you'll notice that in two of them the Spurs were hitting 3's. (48% in one, and 44% in the other.) In the third (Houston), Tim didn't play, and Tiago was on the court with Tony and Neal who were hitting jumpers. It's a lot easier to feed the post when the guys spreading the floor are actually hitting their shots and/or when there are other serious scoring threats on the floor. When Tiago is down low, a lot of the time there is an extra guy sagging on the passing lane because they aren't worried about anything else.

The one other thing I would offer is that there has to be an angle to make a successful pass. The guys Tiago is usually on the floor with aren't as good as Tony about creating those angles. Also, Tiago isn't as good as Tim (yet) about altering his position in the post, to facilitate those angles. I know it's tough, once you have leverage, to give it up - but Tim does it all the time.

Put it all together and you have guys looking at a bunch of lower-percentage passes that they just don't have the confidence (or skills) to make. So they don't. It's not always that they don't want to get the ball to Tiago. Some of the time, at least, they can't. If they did try to force the ball in to him, you'd see a lot of turnovers that you would like even less. I know that sometimes guys are just jacking up shots. But I think you'll see the ball getting to Tiago a lot more when T.J. Ford gets back.

LongtimeSpursFan
02-02-2012, 11:33 AM

My personal take is that Splitter is a better player around the basket but not nearly the low-post player that Timmy is. Splitter seems to have some difficulty receiving the ball with his back to the basket and then trying to dribble and score. Now he may be having some difficulty because the players do not quite spread the floor as when Timmy has the ball so there tends to be more clutter in the lane.
If Splitter can receive the ball before his defender has time to set then he has a higher rate of effectiveness. Splitter is very good at receiving the ball and making a quick move to the basket and scoring or passing it to cutter or 3 point line.

Spur|n|Austin
02-02-2012, 12:17 PM

Who was comparing Splitter to Duncan? You've got to be an idiot to attempt to compare them, ones a second year player, the other is the best PF in the history of the game, apples to oranges. Sean, myself and many others just think he should get more respect and he's being under utilized, which is true, but nobody compared Tiago to Tim though.

4down
02-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Tiago should definitley get the ball more, he is often better than most teams 2nd best bi and can exploit his matchup. He could be the teams most effective low post scorer due to his matchups. Not best, mind you, although sometimes it may seem like it, but most effective.

Also, Tim needs to stop giving the defense time to set up with the bait dribling everytime. A few moves straight to the basket would throw the defense off just enough to give him a little breathing room once in a while. I think Sean mentioned that as well.

Bill_Brasky
02-02-2012, 12:37 PM
One of the things that frustrates me the most about this is that Tiago is such a good passer out of the post and NEVER gets caught in jail. Either he uses his great footwork to get off a quality shot or he makes a great pass to a wide open 3pt shooter or cutter. When he gets the touch down there we seem to score more often than not, in a variety of ways.

will_spurs
02-02-2012, 03:22 PM
But I think you'll see the ball getting to Tiago a lot more when T.J. Ford gets back.

Tiago plays mostly with the 2nd unit. The 2 guys who can make a pass in the 2nd unit are Manu and TJ. Both of them are hurt. QED.

dbestpro
02-02-2012, 03:34 PM
I have no idea how come most of you guys have so much love on Tigao. man Timmy is a 14 time all stars and 3 time MVPs. he "has been" .

You answered your own question.