PDA

View Full Version : Someone tell me have they changed the rules?

Horse
02-02-2012, 07:35 AM
It seems these days all you have to do is look at the basket and it's a shooting foul. I saw atleast two times landry was fouled while still dribbling and got free throws. We were not in the penalty. Last I checked you had to be in the act of shooting.

SpurNation
02-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Another rule they must have changed is the moving pick (or screen). See it happen (allowed) more this year than any other.

Obstructed_View
02-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Another rule they must have changed is the moving pick (or screen). See it happen (allowed) more this year than any other.

You must have missed that championship that the Celtics won.

YoMamaIsCallin
02-02-2012, 11:13 AM
It seems these days all you have to do is look at the basket and it's a shooting foul. I saw atleast two times landry was fouled while still dribbling and got free throws. We were not in the penalty. Last I checked you had to be in the act of shooting.

It's quite different between the NBA and college/high school/etc. It hasn't changed. In the NBA you get the act-of-shooting foul call as long as (a) you don't put the ball on the floor after being bumped and (b) you are more or less starting what kind of looks like a move to shoot, or drive to the basket, before you get bumped and (c) you don't pass the ball after you get bumped. In college/high school you do actually have to be in the act of shooting to get the shooting foul call.

SenorSpur
02-02-2012, 11:19 AM
The officials were also supposed to crack down on offensive players literally "throwing themselves" into a defender in order to gain a foul call. Yet Kevin Martin did this a couple of times with some success.

GSH
02-02-2012, 11:46 AM

The moving screens this year are driving me up the wall. I posted a good article about it here a couple of weeks ago. The author thought that it is worse this year, too.

And was I the only one who thought that when Scola was "hedging", it looked a lot more like he was just coming out and shoving Parker towards mid-court? Getting in his way is one thing - putting a body on him and pushing him out of his path is another. The way I read the rules, that's a foul. And it would be, if he was guarding Tony. But, hey, he's just "hedging". So that makes it okay?

TDMVPDPOY
02-02-2012, 11:46 AM
RULES dont apply to home teams.....

mercos
02-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Officiating has been bad this year all around. Refs seem to be struggling with the travel schedule just as much as the players are. Night in and night out I have seen far more questionable calls this year going both ways than in years past.

To the OP, I have seen some ridiculous continuation calls this year. Vince Carter had a memorable one against us in the last Dallas game. Apparently you can just pick up your dribble as soon as you get touched and run at the basket from anywhere on the court. This has been getting progressively worse over the years as the league must think And 1s are as exciting as dunks.

YoMamaIsCallin
02-02-2012, 12:29 PM
The officials were also supposed to crack down on offensive players literally "throwing themselves" into a defender in order to gain a foul call. Yet Kevin Martin did this a couple of times with some success.

You have to consider the principle of verticality. If the defender jumps into the shooter's space on a ball fake, and the shooter jumps and gets hit, it's a foul, even if the shooter is "jumping into the defender". If the shooter jumps into the defender's space, it's not. That is the change. Previously it didn't matter so much whose space it was, as long as there was contact. Obviously there's judgement involved.

I personally didn't have a problem with any of the foul calls for Martin. They were at least debatable not clear-cut.

Bruno
02-02-2012, 12:30 PM
The most important regarding referring is consistency. If there is a consistency between each play of each game, the rest doesn't really matter.

I have no problem at all with how shooting fouls are given in the NBA because everybody benefits it. It's not like it only applies with certain referees or certain players. For watching too Euro games where shooting fouls aren't given as easily, I can't say that one way is better than the other.

The moving screens is more problematic. Once you start referees allow some kind of movement, it's harder to draw a line and keep consistency across the league. Referees should be more cautious on that point.

More globally, NBA refs are very good. When you consider all the potential mistake a referee can do in a basketball game, they are doing a great job at limiting these mistakes. They deserve a lot of props.

Horse
02-02-2012, 01:11 PM
We've always said we just want them to be consistent. Well they are now, Consistently awful!

dbestpro
02-02-2012, 02:48 PM
The most important regarding referring is consistency. If there is a consistency between each play of each game, the rest doesn't really matter.

I have no problem at all with how shooting fouls are given in the NBA because everybody benefits it. It's not like it only applies with certain referees or certain players.

In the OKC - Dallas game, Terry was called while driving to the hoop for throwing his body into the player, while Martin and Lowry got away with it in our game. I don't like the play when they do it or when we do it. the call to me is not very consistant from game to game.

lefty
02-02-2012, 02:50 PM
They really suck IMO

z0sa
02-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Moving screens have never been worse in NBA history.

YoMamaIsCallin
02-02-2012, 04:29 PM
In the OKC - Dallas game, Terry was called while driving to the hoop for throwing his body into the player, while Martin and Lowry got away with it in our game. I don't like the play when they do it or when we do it. the call to me is not very consistant from game to game.

That's ridiculous, these plays were not the same. Terry did literally throw himself at a defender who was not in his space. It was blatant.

Dex
02-02-2012, 04:37 PM
While we are acting like Houstonites up in here, when are they going to actually start respecting the "no jumping into defenders" rule? They made a big deal about this at the start of the season, yet you still see this like once a game and it always draws the whistle.

I know it even takes the refs a while to develop to new rules, but we're like a third of the way through the season at this point. I guess we won't see this rule actually instituted until year 2 or 3...unless, of course, Manu tries to pull it during a crucial moment of the playoffs, at which point, the refs will miraculously "get it right".

dbestpro
02-02-2012, 04:58 PM
That's ridiculous, these plays were not the same. Terry did literally throw himself at a defender who was not in his space. It was blatant.

Saw the play with Terry who was driving to the hoop. Not so obvious as what Martin and Lowry did. The rule was written for the jump shooters who throw themselves into the defender. The point is the rule is not followed consistantly.

SpurNation
02-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Well. Back to normal I suppose. If that was a moving screen on Duncan in the Hornets game...then Pekovic, Dalembert and Scola are runaway trains.