PDA

View Full Version : Duncan's surging play deserve ASG consideration?

Rummpd
02-03-2012, 08:32 AM
2 weeks ago I would not have gone out on limb and posted this but the numbers suggest he does deserve to be in the discussion for one of the last F/C spots in the West.

His stats - 13.7 and 7.5 a game (+ 1.1. blocks) despite all the rumors to the contrary are about the same as last year (when he made it) and his PER according to Hollinger is 16th in the West among all players and nearly that of Bynum and above Gasol and Dirk:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/player/stats?id=215&_slug_=tim-duncan&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fplayer%2fstats%3fid%3d215%26_slug_%3dtim-duncan

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?league=west&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2fhollinger%2fstatistics%3fleague%3dwest

Deserving of consideration again? (He is definetely outplaying Dirk who might be a sentimental choice and arguebly playing as well as Gasol (has a higher PER), albeit in less minutes)

One would expect LaMarcus Aldridge and Love to be deserving reserve locks and probably Al Jefferson will also make it; but as they will probably take a 6th West big IMO Duncan if he keeps playing like he has the last two weeks deserves consideration as much as Gasol or Dirk or others likely to be put in.

My guess is that Gasol will get the selection, and barring him, it will be Dirk (despite a horrid start to the year) but as the coaches make the selection the inherent value of Duncan as a total team player and true legend in the game - may still tip him into serious consideration (although he would rather take the time off I am sure).

Amuseddaysleeper
02-03-2012, 09:16 AM
He's been playing really well the last few games, at a 2009 level or even better I'd say. But I think it's too little too late in terms of all star voting.

Hell, this could be the first AS game in like 14 years that won't feature Duncan or Dirk.

timvp
02-03-2012, 09:20 AM
No. We have reached the end of the road.

Hell of a ride :cry

jeebus
02-03-2012, 09:51 AM
I'd rather him get the days off than play in a meaningless game.

Josepatches_
02-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Surely he deserves one spot more than Bynum.

Magua
02-03-2012, 10:21 AM
:lmao

Magua
02-03-2012, 10:21 AM

Magua
02-03-2012, 10:22 AM
:rollin

dunkman
02-03-2012, 10:23 AM
He will make the ASG or the all-nba third team. But I would prefere to see the Spurs reach the finals this year.

Magua
02-03-2012, 10:24 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5623845&postcount=6

TDMVPDPOY
02-03-2012, 10:34 AM
why u want him to play in the asg when his just going to sit on the bench....

FromWayDowntown
02-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Spurs fans should be hoping that the West coaches decide to give Timmy a nice long weekend.

mexicanjunior
02-03-2012, 10:43 AM
He needs the rest more...Parker should be the one ASG participant from the Spurs if there is one. Leonard, Neal and Splitter should play in the rookie/sophomore game.

SpurNation
02-03-2012, 11:17 AM
As pointed out...others probably get the nod. To me it would be more about the history of the event if it were to happen more so than the importance of him going.

DesignatedT
02-03-2012, 11:28 AM
There's much more worthy bigs. I mean Lamarcus Aldridge hasn't even made an ASG yet i believe.

ElNono
02-03-2012, 11:33 AM
No

yavozerb
02-03-2012, 11:34 AM
No way..Better for TD to get some rest anyway

Cane
02-03-2012, 11:35 AM
If the Spurs are still a top 4 team in the West, then Duncan will definitely get some consideration. Coaches reward veterans, google SVG's comments about what he thought of the earlier red-hot Ryan Anderson and his ASG status.

Aldridge and Love's teams may not even be in the playoffs (yea yea shortened season skews that) but they deserve consideration too if their team is in the top 8 of the west.

I think Dirk will get in if they're still in the top 8 also...coaches respect veterans, especially defending Finals MVPs

BillMc
02-03-2012, 11:37 AM
No. We have reached the end of the road.

Hell of a ride :cry

End of the road, but the wheels haven't come off quite yet. (Though Timmy might be down from a four wheeler to a unicycle. )

Go Timmy! Go! :toast

CubanMustGo
02-03-2012, 12:07 PM
He got his mercy/reputation/career recognition nod last year. Let him enjoy the day off, he's deserved it.

BillMc
02-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Hey if Melo can start this year, why not Tim off the West bench?

BillMc
02-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Tony should be close to getting in though...

DeadlyDynasty
02-03-2012, 12:39 PM
No

anonoftheinternets
02-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Tony should be close to getting in though...

i doubt tony is getting in ... and for some reason meatball keeps getting mentions as if he has played better than tony ... :p: i think neither gets in this year ...

DPG21920
02-03-2012, 12:42 PM
It's a fan vote not who deserves it. So it's not about level of play

anonoftheinternets
02-03-2012, 01:07 PM
It's a fan vote not who deserves it. So it's not about level of play

reserves is more about coaches and media .. so its a bit more about play than starters ..

crc21209
02-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Nah. I highly doubt Timmy gets in. Tony has a shot though....:tu

Horse
02-03-2012, 01:39 PM
He got his mercy/reputation/career recognition nod last year. Let him enjoy the day off, he's deserved it.
Yeah and shaq got that for like 10 yrs. How about all the years vince carter hardly even played but started the allstar game. Or this year wade has missed alot of time and has had a down season and he's starting.

roycrikside
02-03-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't want Tim or Tony to make it. Let them rest.

Mel_13
02-03-2012, 02:53 PM

I agree. Let Dirk get the career recognition slot this year. The defending champs should have a rep at the game.

stephen jackson
02-03-2012, 02:56 PM
i think he played mediocre on purpose just to get the all star weekend off.

Obstructed_View
02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
He's played like a man possessed the last couple of games. He might be hoping for a reserve spot. I doubt Pop would have played him last night if left to his own devices, so maybe Timmy wanted a chance to make a case.

EVAY
02-03-2012, 03:38 PM
He's played like a man possessed the last couple of games. He might be hoping for a reserve spot. I doubt Pop would have played him last night if left to his own devices, so maybe Timmy wanted a chance to make a case.

This. exactly. I think his past few game performances have been an audition for another shot at the reserves ASG. Anyone who thinks TD would prefer his to miss being named to the ASG hasn't paid much attention to his competitiveness over the years.

EVAY
02-03-2012, 03:40 PM
The announcers in last night's game said that Tony's numbers (ppg and apt) were among the top five ppg this year...so he might have a shot at a reserve spot.

TD 21
02-03-2012, 04:23 PM
He's not going to make it and he wouldn't have even had he had a turn back the clock season. Seeing as how team success and recent past accomplishments no longer matter and it's all about stats, Nowitzki has no business being selected . . . but he'll have a spot reserved because he's the reigning Finals MVP and because the vast majority want to pretend it's a given he'll get back to playing at an elite level. Add him to Griffin, Bynum, Love and Aldridge and there's five bigs. Presuming they go with a sixth, it'll either be Millsap or one of the Gasol's.

At the moment, I think this will be the team . . .

Starters: F- Griffin, Durant, C- Bynum, G- Bryant, Paul

Bench: F- Nowitzki, Love, Millsap, Gay, C- Aldridge, G- Westbrook, Parker

timtonymanu
02-03-2012, 05:13 PM
No. Timmy doesn't deserve a spot because there's other players who have been more consistent this year. I think Parker should get in thought but he has to compete with Lowry and Lawson.

I agree with TD 21's predictions. Nowitzki has no business getting in but he will. I think Pau Gasol makes it regardless of LA's record. One of Parker, Lawson, or Lowry will get in.

tmtcsc
02-03-2012, 06:31 PM
LOL !! He played two good games in a row and you're asking if his play deserves ASG consideration ?

Hell to the No. It's bad enough he went last year based on his coach and reputation. His game has never been made for the ASG. Not enough flash. But his numbers landed him there annually. Well, without the consistent numbers, he doesn't deserve to go.

End of story.

tmtcsc
02-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Yeah and shaq got that for like 10 yrs. How about all the years vince carter hardly even played but started the allstar game. Or this year wade has missed alot of time and has had a down season and he's starting.

Shaq got in because he had fun there and gave the crowd a show. Just being a clown or launching 3 ptrs and running 1 man fast breaks can get you in the game. Its for the fans and is really just awful basketball. That's not Tim and I'm fine with that.

quentin_compson
02-03-2012, 06:53 PM
I don't think that the last couple of games alone should be enough to get him in the ASG picture - and I don't think it will be enough.

chazley
02-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Tim ain't getting in. Tony is. /thread

iminol
02-06-2012, 01:15 PM

z czego rżysz pajacu

Spur|n|Austin
02-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Let them rest!

manufan10
02-06-2012, 02:07 PM
It's a win/win either way. If Tim gets selected, then organization is represented in the all-star game. If he doesn't get selected, then he will get a few well deserved days off.

007nites
02-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Another big game for timmy

Bill_Brasky
02-06-2012, 10:38 PM
19/17 tonight for Timmy.

timtonymanu
02-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Definitely having an all-star play lately. Still think Tony's more deserving though.

ThaBigFundamental21
02-06-2012, 10:43 PM
He just hasn't done enough. If he was at 15 10, I'm sure he would get in. But 13 8 won't do it over Aldridge.

Obstructed_View
02-06-2012, 10:43 PM
He's beasting right now. I'd like to see it happen.

HarlemHeat37
02-06-2012, 10:45 PM
I'd rather he rest his knees, instead of playing in a meaningless game, tbh..

Rummpd
02-06-2012, 10:46 PM
I don't think that the last couple of games alone should be enough to get him in the ASG picture - and I don't think it will be enough.

He is definetely moving into consideration stats be dammed - he has along with Parker kept an otherwise young team in the top teams in the West despite the loss of Manu.

Nathan Explosion
02-06-2012, 10:47 PM
LOL !! He played two good games in a row and you're asking if his play deserves ASG consideration ?

Hell to the No. It's bad enough he went last year based on his coach and reputation. His game has never been made for the ASG. Not enough flash. But his numbers landed him there annually. Well, without the consistent numbers, he doesn't deserve to go.

End of story.

He was a co-MVP of the All Star game with Shaq one year. He's more substance over flash, but at the end of the game, the teams want to win, and that's where Duncan's game would shine.

TD 21
02-06-2012, 10:48 PM
He just hasn't done enough. If he was at 15 10, I'm sure he would get in. But 13 8 won't do it over Aldridge.

Aldridge is a lock (and should have been last season). Given that his team has a respectable record at the moment, Love is a lock as well (he shouldn't have been last season). Because of his team also having a respectable record at the moment, Millsap should make it as well. That leaves one spot for Nowitzki, P. Gasol and Duncan. Coming into the season, Nowitzki and P. Gasol were thought of as locks. But based on play and record, Duncan should easily beat out both. He's not going to, of course. Nowitzki will get his spot based off of last season/reputation. But should one of the front court players succumb to injury before the game, Duncan should be first in line as a replacement.

timtonymanu
02-06-2012, 10:49 PM
I'd rather he rest his knees, instead of playing in a meaningless game, tbh..

Exactly.

Only reason I would have wanted him there is to continue his starting streak. Pretty pointless if he's just going to be a reserve.

timtonymanu
02-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Aldridge is a lock (and should have been last season). Given that his team has a respectable record at the moment, Love is a lock as well (he shouldn't have been last season). Because of his team also having a respectable record at the moment, Millsap should make it as well. That leaves one spot for Nowitzki, P. Gasol and Duncan. Coming into the season, Nowitzki and P. Gasol were thought of as locks. But based on play and record, Duncan should easily beat out both. He's not going to, of course. Nowitzki will get his spot based off of last season/reputation. But should one of the front court players succumb to injury before the game, Duncan should be first in line as a replacement.

Love, Aldridge, Westbrook, and Parker are locks at this point. Millsap should be getting in too even though I think he would have been snubbed had injuries not occurred.

Marc Gasol doesn't deserve it all, but he keeps appearing on everyone's reserve list. As crappy as the Lakers are, it wouldn't surprise me if Pau Gasol made it in based on past achievements. Dirk asked not to be put in so I think the coaches will look elsewhere. Gallo just fractured his foot apparently so he's out.

That leaves Lowry, Ellis, and Duncan. It really wouldn't surprise me if Timmy made it in actually considering the Spurs' record, but I personally don't want him there.

Old School 44
02-06-2012, 11:14 PM
The other coaches will vote him in, because they DON'T want him to rest! :)

TD 21
02-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Love, Aldridge, Westbrook, and Parker are locks at this point. Millsap should be getting in too even though I think he would have been snubbed had injuries not occurred.

Marc Gasol doesn't deserve it all, but he keeps appearing on everyone's reserve list. As crappy as the Lakers are, it wouldn't surprise me if Pau Gasol made it in based on past achievements. Dirk asked not to be put in so I think the coaches will look elsewhere. Gallo just fractured his foot apparently so he's out.

That leaves Lowry, Ellis, and Duncan. It really wouldn't surprise me if Timmy made it in actually considering the Spurs' record, but I personally don't want him there.

Nowitzki this season is as much of a lock as Duncan was last season. It doesn't matter what he said, he's the reigning Finals MVP. That alone will get him in.

I want Duncan there if he's deserving (I know it's an extra two flights, but he won't play more than 8-10 minutes and it's not like he'll be going hard) . . . and as ridiculous as it may have sounded when the calendar turned to February, he is. That's what happens when you base something off such a short sample size, things can change drastically in a short period and they have. At this point, Gay is not more deserving than Duncan and he shouldn't make it just to have a certain number of wings. Millsap can be the backup SF and Griffin can play some SF as well.