PDA

View Full Version : Trail Blazers center Greg Oden to undergo yet another knee surgery today

tlongII
02-03-2012, 03:20 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2012/02/trail_blazers_center_greg_oden_to_undergo_yet_anot .html

Trail Blazers center Greg Oden will undergo an arthroscopic procedure today in Vail, Colo. to remove debris from his right knee, the team announced. It is his fourth knee surgery since becoming the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft.

Blazers interim general manager Chad Buchanan said it's too early to say today's knee procedure will end Oden's season.

"That would be speculation at this point,'' Buchanan said. "We are going to continue to stand by and support Greg and listen to what the doctors have to say after the surgery.''

The right knee has not given Oden problems since 2007, when he had microfracture performed before the season started.

His left knee was the knee in question during his December visit in Vail, Colo., when the team deemed he had suffered a setback because of an issue with a non-weight bearing ligament in his knee.

Blazers interim general manager Chad Buchanan said Oden had recently started "increased activities" on the basketball court, during which Oden had good days and bad days with his knees. After a recent magnetic resonance imaging, doctors at the Steadman Clinic in Vail detected debris in his right knee and decided they wanted to operate to clear the debris and to take a closer look.

Buchanan said it is also possible the doctors might operate on the left knee today, which had been the knee in question during his December doctor's visit.

Oden, who turned 24 last month, has not played in an NBA game since December of 2009, when he fractured his left patella. After rehabilitating from that injury, Oden never made it back, having to undergo microfracture surgery on his left knee in November of 2010.

The team had hoped he would return this season, and extended an $8.9 million qualifying offer, which Oden accepted. However, after the December doctor's visit in Colorado, during which the team deemed he had suffered a setback, the Blazers and Oden's representatives negotiated a reduced salary, believed to be around $1.5 million for this season.

Since being the No. 1 overall pick in the 2007 draft, Oden has played in 82 games, the equivalent of one NBA season. Oden has career averages of 9.4 points and 7.3 rebounds.

manufan10
02-03-2012, 03:21 PM
The guy should just go the way of Yao and retire.

tlongII
02-03-2012, 03:22 PM
http://www.csnnw.com/pages/landingblazers?Source-Oden-has-blood-clots-in-his-ankle=1&blockID=644404&feedID=5212

Source: Oden has blood clots in his ankles, too

The Portland Trail Blazers have made it known that center Greg Oden will undergo an arthroscopic procedure later today in Vail, Colo. to remove debris from his right knee.

That's not all.

A league source has informed CSNNW.com that Oden has been experiencing discomfort in his ankles and further testing revealed he has blood clots and he could be taking care of that in Colorado as well.

Acting GM Chad Buchanan wouldn't comment on this matter.

Oden hasn't played in a NBA game in over two years and before this season started, a physical revealed he suffered a setback while rehabilitating from microfracture surgery on his left knee.

He agreed to a restructured one-year qualifying offer reportedly for $1.5 million. He'll be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season.

For his career, Oden averages 9.4 points, 7.3 rebounds, and 1.4 blocks per game.

tlongII
02-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Non-...

ehhhh, fuck it.

Mel_13
02-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Non-...

ehhhh, fuck it.

:lol

And Sam Presti is the luckiest guy in the NBA. His first task as GM was to make the second pick in a two player draft. All he had to do was take the guy that Portland left on the board.

FkLA
02-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Damn, that sucks. It doesnt look like hell ever recover tbh. Showed glimpses of having the potential to be dominant, will probably go down as one of the biggest busts and 'what ifs' in NBA history.

lefty
02-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Holy crap, I feel bad for Oden, I really do

I don't feel bad for Tlong, though

Killakobe81
02-03-2012, 04:12 PM
I know he is in reality looking like a bust, but to me, a true bust is a guy like Kwame, who has been mostly healthy but can't really play. I blame Portland's front-office who ignored the previous injury history of Bowie, Oden and even Roy to pass on Mj and Durant. Roy at leats gave them something ...but I told all of you guys when you were saying he was in Wade, Manu and Kobe territory that Roy wouldnt last. I saw him play extensively in college and he reminded me too much of O'bannon. when he was on he was great but the knee would flare up. How Ed kept it together for that year they won the title was nothing short of a miracle. But it probably cost him any shot at a decent pro career. Roy obviously did more than ed I would say his career was nestled somewhere in the not as good as Bernard King or Grant Hill but above Sean elliott or Danny Manning.
Back to Oden. Olowokandi and Kwame just sucked. no major injuries. Bowie Oden showed flashes but their bodies betrayed them.

pass1st
02-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Feel sorry for Oden, but...

:rollintlong

Banzai
02-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Holy crap, I feel bad for Oden, I really do

I don't feel bad for Tlong, though

this

noob cake
02-03-2012, 05:47 PM
wtf. Hope Oden saved most of his rookie contract.

Retire and live a good life. His body is obviously not built for professional basketball.

blackfire12
02-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Wow more surgery and then a report of blood clots/other health related problems? Just stop and give up, he at least made it to the NBA.

Halberto
02-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Retire and live a good life. His body is obviously not built for professional basketball.

His body is not meant for it's own anatomy. The dude needs a wheel chair.

baseline bum
02-03-2012, 06:07 PM
I know he is in reality looking like a bust, but to me, a true bust is a guy like Kwame, who has been mostly healthy but can't really play. I blame Portland's front-office who ignored the previous injury history of Bowie, Oden and even Roy to pass on Mj and Durant. Roy at leats gave them something ...but I told all of you guys when you were saying he was in Wade, Manu and Kobe territory that Roy wouldnt last. I saw him play extensively in college and he reminded me too much of O'bannon. when he was on he was great but the knee would flare up. How Ed kept it together for that year they won the title was nothing short of a miracle. But it probably cost him any shot at a decent pro career. Roy obviously did more than ed I would say his career was nestled somewhere in the not as good as Bernard King or Grant Hill but above Sean elliott or Danny Manning.
Back to Oden. Olowokandi and Kwame just sucked. no major injuries. Bowie Oden showed flashes but their bodies betrayed them.

I can't call Kwame a bust at all; he certainly never lived up to the hype, but dude has still carved out an 11 year NBA career. To me bust is someone like Tskitisvilli, Thabeet, Rodney White, etc. who was hyped like hell but just flat out could not play in the league.

turiaf for president
02-03-2012, 06:37 PM
can you imagine aldridge, durant, and wallace on the front court? damnnn

pass1st
02-03-2012, 06:50 PM
I can't call Kwame a bust at all; he certainly never lived up to the hype, but dude has still carved out an 11 year NBA career. To me bust is someone like Tskitisvilli, Thabeet, Rodney White, etc. who was hyped like hell but just flat out could not play in the league.

He was overhyped tho, back then he was touted as being the next Shaq when he was in high school. Still, became a solid 2nd string player.

Double-Up
02-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Can this guy still walk? It may be time to throw the fucking towel in.

tlongII
02-03-2012, 08:30 PM
He'll be back!

Jodelo
02-03-2012, 09:52 PM
He'll be back!

Dejavu!

baseline bum
02-03-2012, 09:54 PM
He was overhyped tho, back then he was touted as being the next Shaq when he was in high school. Still, became a solid 2nd string player.

You're thinking of Curry; Kwame was the next Garnett.

Mal
02-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Just stop and give up, he at least made it to the NBA.

Yeah, part of famous 6-men play performed by Portland :lol

jeebus
02-03-2012, 10:05 PM
tbh ever since Portland lost the Jailblazers mentality, it's been downhill team.