PDA

View Full Version : So 16 and 12 is all it takes to be an ASG starter?

Dunc n Dave
02-03-2012, 09:36 PM
The supposed "best big man in the West" averages 16 & 12 and gets not only his FIRST All Star nod , but is the STARTER?

And you guys were saying the TOSB was done averaging 13 & 9? Sad to think that Duncan was only 3 pts and 3 rebs away from matching the "best in the West."

The NBA Center position is a joke these days...:(

Russ
02-03-2012, 09:50 PM
The supposed "best big man in the West" averages 16 & 12 and gets not only his FIRST All Star nod , but is the STARTER?

And you guys were saying the TOSB was done averaging 13 & 9? Sad to think that Duncan was only 3 pts and 3 rebs away from matching the "best in the West."

With things being so weak at the center position . . .

If any team had a guy who could play center like this, I'm sure they would play the hell out of him. . . :)

I mean, they would. . .

Well, you know what I mean . . .

Well, I mean, you know, all things being equal . . .

Right?

mystargtr34
02-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Anyone who can put up 16 points a game playing with Kobe deserves an All-Star spot tbh.

MR.SILVER&BLack
02-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Anyone who can put up 16 points a game playing with Kobe deserves an All-Star spot tbh.
Not as impressive as you think. with all the bricks kobe shoots at least half of his points have to be from put backs & tip ins.

The ADMIRAL 50
02-03-2012, 11:24 PM

:lol

The ADMIRAL 50
02-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Not as impressive as you think. with all the bricks kobe shoots at least half of his points have to be from put backs & tip ins.

nonetheless.

Brutalis
02-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Fans vote for the starters. It's not because he earned it. And since it's a popularity contest I don't vote much less watch the ASG because of that dumb shit.

TMTŪ
02-04-2012, 01:45 AM
It's fan voting my man. Bynum is one of the best up and coming centers in the league, playing in LA also doesn't hurt his contention.

Nathan Explosion
02-04-2012, 09:03 AM

Except, that's how Gasol's getting his points too.

GrandeDavid
02-04-2012, 09:53 AM

I agree. Most would've freaked if Duncan or Robinson averaged below 20 and 10 in their heydays.

Dex
02-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Also affecting the "disparity" between Duncan and Bynum are minutes played. Bynum isn't managed by his coach like Duncan is, playing 34.3 MPG versus Tim's 27.2.

Extrapolate their numbers out to Per 36 Minutes, and they are remarkably similar.

Tim Per 36
18.1 PPG / 9.9 RPG / 3.6 APG / 1.4 BPG

Bynum Per 36
16.8 PPG / 12.0 RPG / 1.2 APG / 1.9 BPG

TOSB, indeed. :rolleyes

As others have mentioned, though....Bynum isn't an All-Star Starter because of his eye-popping stats; it's because he's having a decent season and is a Laker. If people were going to vote on stats alone, they'd probably go with Love.

Love Per 36
22.8 PPG / 12.3 RPG / 1.6 APG / 0.5 BPG

007nites
02-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Timmy should have been the guy starting for the West.

Kuestmaster
02-04-2012, 03:12 PM
timmy better be resting that weekend, he will need it after the rodeo road trip.

baseline bum
02-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Also affecting the "disparity" between Duncan and Bynum are minutes played. Bynum isn't managed by his coach like Duncan is, playing 34.3 MPG versus Tim's 27.2.

Extrapolate their numbers out to Per 36 Minutes, and they are remarkably similar.

Tim Per 36
18.1 PPG / 9.9 RPG / 3.6 APG / 1.4 BPG

Bynum Per 36
16.8 PPG / 12.0 RPG / 1.2 APG / 1.9 BPG

TOSB, indeed. :rolleyes

As others have mentioned, though....Bynum isn't an All-Star Starter because of his eye-popping stats; it's because he's having a decent season and is a Laker. If people were going to vote on stats alone, they'd probably go with Love.

Love Per 36
22.8 PPG / 12.3 RPG / 1.6 APG / 0.5 BPG

Bynum is an allstar because who else are you going to start at center? DeAndre Jordan? Dejuan Blair? Samuel Dalembert? Brenda Haywood? Nene is the only serious challenger, and Bynum is having a way better season than him. Love and Duncan are listed as forwards, so they can't be voted into that position.

Caeman
02-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Bynum is an allstar because who else are you going to start at center? DeAndre Jordan? Dejuan Blair? Samuel Dalembert? Brenda Haywood? Nene is the only serious challenger, and Bynum is having a way better season than him. Love and Duncan are listed as forwards, so they can't be voted into that position.

Finally someone who understands it. The forwards in the west are so much better than the centers. So if anyone is getting passed over it's the forwards ahead of Duncan but behind Griffin/Durant.

therealtruth
02-04-2012, 06:12 PM

Technically Nene has been starting games at pf with Mozgov at c.

baseline bum
02-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Technically Nene has been starting games at pf with Mozgov at c.

I think he was listed at center on the ballot though.

daslicer
02-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Nobody gives a fuck about the ASG anyways. Give Timmy the rest and watch Bynum tear up his patella.

:lol This rest bs always makes me laugh granted I don't care if Tim gets in or not but its laughauble how a lot of people in here believe that if Tim doesn't play 1 game that its going to suddenly be huge benefit for Tim's body. It means jackshit considering he's played over 1000 games so not playing 1 game in the long run is not going to make a difference. Thats equivalent to saying "Well since my car has a 100000 miles on it I'm not going to drive it for one day and thus its going to starting running great again."

Having an allstar represent your team is a cool thing but most spur fans take it for granted since the spurs have been fortunate to have been represented in almost all the all-star games over the last 20 years. I say don't take it for granted because it looks like this year the spurs won't get any all-stars and it could be a long time before a spur gets into an all-star game.

TD 21
02-04-2012, 08:04 PM
This is akin to Ginobili over the years. Because he played limited minutes and was unselfish, his scoring average never gave a true indication of how good of a player he was. But anyone with an ounce of knowledge knew he was one of the best players in the world.

So I wouldn't read too much into Bynum's averages. On almost any other team, he'd be averaging 20 easily.

timtonymanu
02-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Bynum makes more sense starting than DeAndre Jordan, who got 2nd in voting, I believe.

Timmy wasn't even on the Center ballot anyway.