PDA

View Full Version : Fool's gold win?

ElNono
02-05-2012, 12:03 AM
First off, I'll take any win, and I thought Tony legitimately dominated like we've not seen him dominate in a while, and thoroughly outplayed Westbrook.

But, I thought this win was a lot like a bunch of fool's gold wins last season. Scorching hot from 3, and the defense fairly iffy except for the 3rd quarter.

The good news is that this season we've been able to win without the hot hand. But is this the kind of shooting night we need to have to beat a top team?

Spursfanfromafar
02-05-2012, 12:06 AM
A win is a win. A win without Manu is a "great" win. A win without Manu against the team that has best record in the NBA is a "golden great" win. Lets not mince words!

I thought the Spurs played with a lot of heart and a lot of scrambling defense to keep OKC's offense at bay. Tim Duncan and Splitter were pretty good in the paint and Leonard didn't give a quarter either. Green was mistake prone, Parker was special, and Jefferson wasn't too bad either.

I won't go as far as to call this "fool's good".

Amuseddaysleeper
02-05-2012, 12:07 AM
I see where you're coming from.

It just feels like until the Spurs can consistently play lockdown D, it's hard not to get flashbacks from last year with how the style of play.

Still, they've been playing better now than any other point of the season.

They should have some nice confidence heading into the RRT.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
02-05-2012, 12:08 AM
wow great point
i did have a moment where i thought.. wait how in the hell are we winning while matt is out there F%$^ing 40 minutes ?>??????!!! and tiago isnt scoring ... and this thread answers my question but yea the things that are different are this year while me and you continue to hate bonner were at least seeing splitter out there and this 2nd game i thought kawaii made another vital step and bag of tricks to store in the old memory bank.. i think those two variables justify it being more of a real win than the bonner win

++SaiNt TiAg0++
02-05-2012, 12:11 AM
oh and lets not forget a win "that buys us time" until we are at full strength with manu and every one knows their role. i think we have a way better shot at winning a title than last year.

ElNono
02-05-2012, 12:12 AM
The hot shooting was basically on the Thunder for giving us a ton of wide-open shots, IMO... we didn't make many of the contested ones (e.g. in the second half).

Well, shooting 50+% from 3 point land, even if wide-open is indeed a rarity.
This team has been shooting 38.5% from outside up to this game.

ElNono
02-05-2012, 12:14 AM
I'm not attempting to minimize the win, or the fact it was achieved without Manu out there (or the incredible night Tony had). Just gathering some opinions as to whether this is a win to really get super-excited about, considering the fluke 3 point shooting.

ducks
02-05-2012, 12:16 AM
dude get a life
the three spurs made in the first half were wide open

Amuseddaysleeper
02-05-2012, 12:16 AM
The Spurs have always been wonky with their 3 point shooting though. They are just so up and down with it. Feels like they'll go through a stretch like tonight, where they will go something like 12/23 one game, then 9/16 from 3 point land the next.

But then they go through brutal 3 point stretches where they go 3/11 and then 2/15 or something silly.

Just how it is.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-05-2012, 12:17 AM
Even if the Spurs had not been hot from 3 (despite that being a prime facet of our team winning games for well over a year now) and even if we had lost this game, I would not have felt too bad about it.

Splitter, Green, Leonard...hell even Bonner and Jefferson were all getting their hands on loose balls, forcing turnovers, committing smart fouls.

This was a great case of a smart Spurs team pouncing on a tired, cocky Thunders squad.

Pure and simple.

jjktkk
02-05-2012, 12:18 AM
First off, I'll take any win, and I thought Tony legitimately dominated like we've not seen him dominate in a while, and thoroughly outplayed Westbrook.

But, I thought this win was a lot like a bunch of fool's gold wins last season. Scorching hot from 3, and the defense fairly iffy except for the 3rd quarter.

The good news is that this season we've been able to win without the hot hand. But is this the kind of shooting night we need to have to beat a top team?

It is and isn't. Obviously the Spurs cannot rely soley on 3s in the playoffs. The difference from last years squad and this years, is the defensive presence of Splitter, Leonard, and to a lesser extent, Green.

mercos
02-05-2012, 12:19 AM
This win was real gold. The hot shooting from downtown can account for the wide margin of victory, but the Spurs picked the Thunder apart any which way you slice it. We missed several wide open shots (especially when Tony was about to get the team assist record) that could have made the blowout even worse. I really liked our defensive effort tonight against one of the highest scoring teams in the league. We were active, and Leonard did a very nice job on Durant. The Spurs have the Thunder's number, but we are also playing pretty well right now. Great win before the RRT.

Paranoid Pop
02-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Tiago and Tim got rejected a lot at the rim, that's what it is, we had to win by using the mismatch of our 3pt shooters against their not very good 3pt defense.

But isn't every win at home fool's gold? Why start this thread tonight?

Paranoid Pop
02-05-2012, 12:21 AM
I'm not attempting to minimize the win, or the fact it was achieved without Manu out there (or the incredible night Tony had). Just gathering some opinions as to whether this is a win to really get super-excited about, considering the fluke 3 point shooting.

:lol

dbestpro
02-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Fool's gold thread.
Solid win at home without Manu and a backup PG. Nothing more, nothing less.

Spursfan092120
We got a lot of open shots, yes..but I don't think it's as much about OKC's bad defense as it was about our ball movement. I haven't seen us move the ball this well all season..that's what got us the open shots.You get those wide open shots and it's just like a shootaround.

DeadlyDynasty
Yes. Yes it was.

Spursfan092120
02-05-2012, 12:26 AM
fluke 3 point shooting.

not a fluke when the team normally shoots well from behind the arc.

mystargtr34
02-05-2012, 12:28 AM
This sounds like trolling/butt hurt on my part.. but any win that Tiago plays less minutes than Blair and Bonner is a fools gold win. Bonner and Blair playing 40+ minutes in the playoffs isng going to cut it... against any opponent.

spurs4real
02-05-2012, 12:30 AM

Not fools gold at all my friend. Just like some teams give us fits, we are one of those teams to OKC. And thats a good thing.

jermaine
02-05-2012, 12:31 AM
Plain an simple. Tony had a video game night, an everyone followed suit. With the defense of Leonard, durrant couldn't find a good good rhythm. Therefore, the thunder couldn't get it rolling. Westbrook was being westbrook, tryna force things an hurting his team like always. An Harden was the only consist player on their team. So things just fell our way like it would for anyone on any other giving night.

acoelho1
02-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Spurs fans.. always glass half empty.

GSH
02-05-2012, 12:32 AM
I was thinking about sitting down and starting a similar thread. The Spurs got outscored 46 to 30 in the paint. And of the 30 points the Spurs did score in the paint, I wouldn't be surprised if 24 of them were by Parker. Duncan was 5-16, and generally no threat in the paint unless Parker sucked everyone to him, and he found Duncal alone underneath. Blair was 1-3, and even Splitter was 1-5. We got owned in the middle, for the most part. Although I have to say that Duncan's 15 boards were a bigger factor than anyone has mentioned.

If Kawhi hadn't hit those early 3's, and Ibaka hadn't picked up 2 quick fouls, that's a different ballgame. It didn't hurt that Parker had zero turnovers, and the team only had 10 for the night. It was a great win, but one that would be hard to reproduce enough times to win a 7 game series. Especially if 4 of the 7 games are on the road.

gospursgojas
02-05-2012, 12:35 AM
The term Fools gold is way overused here.

DeadlyDynasty
02-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Good to see some realism in this thread. Looks like ya'll have learned a thing or two from last year.:lol

ducks
02-05-2012, 12:36 AM
if spurs shooters in a 7 game series againts thunder were left that wideout they would easily beat the thunder

spurs4real
02-05-2012, 12:40 AM
if kawhi hadn't hit those early 3's, and ibaka hadn't picked up 2 quick fouls, that's a different ballgame.

makes absolutely no sense at all.

GSH
02-05-2012, 12:41 AM
Good to see some realism in this thread. Looks like ya'll have learned a thing or two from last year.:lol

You scored 87 points against Utah, with Bynum and Gasol healthy? Paul Millsap says Hi.

Weak suck.

mystargtr34
02-05-2012, 12:42 AM

Meh even last season when the Spurs were something ridiculous like 40-10 i was beating a dead horse saying theres no way a team is winning a championship with Blair and Bonner as the second and third bigs + 37 year old Dice. I didnt expect a first round exit though :lol.. but didnt see us getting to the WCF.

rascal
02-05-2012, 12:42 AM

The playoffs are a different animal. You cannot win depending on hitting the 3 point shot in the playoffs. You need to score in the paint and play good defense.

GSH
02-05-2012, 12:44 AM
makes absolutely no sense at all.

Let's see... Kawhi hitting 3's stretched the defense (Pop says Hi, too). And Perkins' fouls forced him to the bench early? What part of that don't you understand? Or didn't you notice that the Thunder aren't as good inside with Nazr on the floor for Ibaka?

DeadlyDynasty
02-05-2012, 12:44 AM
You scored 87 points against Utah, with Bynum and Gasol healthy? Paul Millsap says Hi.

Weak suck.

Oh, this guy again.:lol

Rest assured had the Lakers won and the Spurs lost you'd be starting a plethora of threads on how bad the officiating was.

It's what you do. You're a whiner:lol

GSH
02-05-2012, 12:46 AM

Rest assured had the Lakers won and the Spurs lost you'd be starting a plethora of threads on how bad the officiating was.

It's what you do. You're a whiner:lol

Weak suck... again.

ElNono
02-05-2012, 12:47 AM
But isn't every win at home fool's gold? Why start this thread tonight?

I don't think so. We've won at home shooting well under 40% from downtown in prior nights... I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as this season is concerned, I'm fairly sure tonight was probably the best or 2nd best 3 point shooting night this team had all season long.

DeadlyDynasty
02-05-2012, 12:47 AM

Weak suck... again.

It's what you do. You're a whiner...still.:lol

ElNono
02-05-2012, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the opinions, BTW. Just thought it was a valid point, and wanted to gauge the reaction to it.

ducks
parker played a complete game not many this season so far

ElNono

Well, the win was huge, I thought. The 3 point shooting was definitely flukeish by this season's standards.

ElNono
02-05-2012, 12:49 AM
not a fluke when the team normally shoots well from behind the arc.

Team been shooting well under 40% from downtown this season.

Yuixafun
02-05-2012, 12:52 AM
I can understand the sentiment, yet those open threes came from splendid ball movement often times.

Parker was going bananas in the paint scoring and dishing, and that's some glittery gold.

I did feel Parker's great game came at the cost of some of the others success as I saw some of them concede and sort of stand around the second half, instead of being their plucky selves.

What I didn't enjoy was, how quickly the lead evaporated at the end of the 3rd forcing Parker and Duncan back in the game....

But that was probably a result of the Spurs with seeming game in hand letting up and the Thunder kept coming with their starters.

Exciting to see Parker still has it when properly motivated.

And also good to see Kwa find some offensive joy.

GSH
02-05-2012, 12:54 AM

It's what you do. You're a whiner...still.:lol

You're a class act, DD. I would have IP blocked your dumb ass.

I'll never understand why n!ggers get so defensive about their shitty qbs.

Fucking someone's wife is african american shit though, imho

DeadlyDynasty
02-05-2012, 12:56 AM
You're a class act, DD. I would have IP blocked your dumb ass.

No, what's classy is blaming all your problem's on the officiating. I would've given you some warm milk followed by a pacifier.

Keep it up, there's more of your golden threads to bump:lol

GSH
02-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Why do some people have such a need to be hated?

You bore me, DD. Your posts speak for themselves. Racist, with mommy issues.

HarlemHeat37
02-05-2012, 01:00 AM
It's fool's Gold in the sense that the Spurs wouldn't beat the Thunder in a blow-out, in 4 out of 7 games..the games would be closer, in a playoff series..

I didn't believe in last year's team, despite the record..

This year's team has potential, at least, IMO..if Splitter is receiving Duncan-like minutes, if 2 of Green/Jefferson/Bonner/Neal are making shots in every respective playoff game, if Leonard can be enough of an offensive threat to justify PT..

In all honesty, none of the teams in the West are scary, at all..

I don't think the Spurs can beat Miami or Chicago, but the West is much easier IMO..

++SaiNt TiAg0++
02-05-2012, 01:01 AM
Yes. Yes it was.

i think we like the exact same music you incorporate your fav bands in your profile huh? my fav album "grace " favorite song "so real" the best!

DeadlyDynasty
02-05-2012, 01:02 AM
Why do some people have such a need to be hated?

You bore me, DD. Your posts speak for themselves. Racist, with mommy issues.

Crying about the officiating everytime something goes wrong. Characteristics of a mentally weak, low self-esteem individual like yourself.:lol

If I really bore you, then you wouldn't have tried to engage me tonight. Just wave the white flag now because I just caught you lying.

A liar AND a mentally weak individual. Your family must be proud.

DeadlyDynasty
02-05-2012, 01:02 AM
i think we like the exact same music you incorporate your fav bands in your profile huh? my fav album "grace " favorite song "so real" the best!

Fav. one is in my sig, but So Real is good:tu

benefactor
02-05-2012, 01:06 AM
Live by the three, die by the three. More than likely they will die by it yet again in the playoffs.

Capt Bringdown
02-05-2012, 01:07 AM
Even though we are short-handed, we could make changes that would improve how we stand in the defense/rebounding dept that would give us a better chance in the playoffs.
Pop simply refuses to turn the page.

Fun game, enjoyable win, but yeah, it's legitimate to wonder where we're going with this. Turd towers part 2

mystargtr34
02-05-2012, 01:10 AM
How many touches did Tiago get in the post tonight.. maybe one that i can remember where he missed an easy jump hook he usually makes.. and one where he drew a foul on Collison.

A couple of times the chuckers gave him the ball with about 5 seconds left forcing a bad shot.

Its becoming sad at this point.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Perhaps we're being a bit too fussy about beating the top WC seed in a game BEFORE the RRT. Stop being so fucking analytical and enjoy.

ezau
02-05-2012, 01:11 AM
No, what's classy is blaming all your problem's on the officiating. I would've given you some warm milk followed by a pacifier.

Keep it up, there's more of your golden threads to bump:lol

How's the Lakers being the second best team in LA working out?:lol:lol

DeadlyDynasty
02-05-2012, 01:13 AM
How's the Lakers being the second best team in LA working out?:lol:lol

Just fine...Clippers ain't winning shit this year either, so let them have their turn at some spotlight

ezau
02-05-2012, 01:15 AM
Just fine...Clippers ain't winning shit this year either, so let them have their turn at some spotlight

Just as long as the Clips send the Lakers' collective ass to oblivion in the playoffs, I'm fine with it.

HarlemHeat37
02-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Definitely with mystar here, as usual..

Honestly, running the secondary offense through Splitter, instead of Green and Neal, could be the difference in living and dying by the 3 and actually having a playoff-built team..the Splitter offense leads to points in the paint, and opens things up for the shooters, particularly Bonner, as of late..while Neal and Green offense often leads to bad shots and questionable decisions that aren't punishable during the regular season(half the time), but are suicide during the playoffs..

Having TJ Ford run the bench offense could lead to Splitter receiving more touches, but that's far from a lock..Ford is known to control the ball for an entire possession..

DeadlyDynasty
02-05-2012, 01:18 AM
Just as long as the Clips send the Lakers' collective ass to oblivion in the playoffs, I'm fine with it.

crofl...if the Lakers even make the playoffs...

ezau
02-05-2012, 01:29 AM
crofl...if the Lakers even make the playoffs...

Seriously, the Lakers are going to land somewhere in the 4th-5th in the West and prolly make a run in the WCF. The West is just too wide open and the Thunder look like they're still raw.

DeadlyDynasty
02-05-2012, 01:31 AM
meh, it's whatever, tbh. They could miss the playoffs or make the finals...who knows. Nobody from the west has a chance against Miami though.

Pray for injuries.

50 points to the first douche who posts something like "That's what they said last year too...blah blah blah."

spurs4real
02-05-2012, 01:56 AM
Let's see... Kawhi hitting 3's stretched the defense (Pop says Hi, too). And Ibaka's fouls forced him to the bench early? What part of that don't you understand? Or didn't you notice that the Thunder aren't as good inside with Nazr on the floor for Ibaka?

Youre missing the point bro, these "whats ifs" are weak. What happened happened and what didnt happen didnt happen.

02-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Only if you think spurs are legitimate title contenders. Which they are not, their defense is too undisciplined.

GSH
02-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Youre missing the point bro, these "whats ifs" are weak. What happened happened and what didnt happen didnt happen.

Well that's deep. Unfortunately, there is such a thing as cause and effect. At least on this planet. I know that's a shock - but "what happens" often happens for a reason.

What happened is that Perkins had to leave the game 1 minute and 39 seconds after it started. And if you can't understand that Nazr is a dropoff from Perkins, you probably stay confused about a lot of other things, too.

What happened is that on 3 consecutive possessions, RJ hit a 3 and Kawhi hit two 3's. And that forced the OKC defense to stay home more, instead of totally collapsing on Parker. If those guys had started the game bricking shots, it probably would have looked a lot different than it did. It makes a huge difference to hit a few early ones.

Apparently you were at least able to understand the part about the Spurs being outscored 46 to 30 in the paint - and the fact that most of our scoring in the paint wasn't by our frontcourt. Or do I need to explain that part, too? Bro.

tmtcsc
02-05-2012, 02:49 AM
Beating the team with the best record in the league (whether it's the Thunder or anyone else) is always golden. Add to that, they are a conference opponent and fully healthy while we aren't.

Hell of a win. We won't know how good this team can be until Manu and Ford return. They need to improve on D and win on the road.

spurs4real
02-05-2012, 02:51 AM
"Bro" sorry that term "Bro" apparently bothers you. Everything you said on your reply AGAIN makes no sense, but you did get one thing right; What didnt happen didnt happen. Youre theory is weak. But i guess youre the first one who said "Had Horry made that 3 pointer against the Spurs in 03 wed have 1 less championship. This Cause and Effect is weak no matter how many times you try to twist it, it didnt happen the way way you think it would have happened.

Past = the past (what actually happened)
Present = what is happening this very moment
Future = what is going to happen.

haha Id love to hear what you have to say about the big bang.

TDfan2007
02-05-2012, 03:02 AM
We hit threes, but our guys also rebounded well, hustled, hedged well, communicated, and best of all we're doing this without our best player and primary igniter.

I'm especially high on this team from an energy and effort standpoint. Ever since the Dallas game it's like someone has lit a fire under the Spurs' collective asses. I was at the game today, and the energy was readily apparent.

Another observation of note is our offensive execution, which may be second to none in the league. My only concern is the lack of interior scoring against teams with great frontcourts like OKC and the Lakers. Timmy and Tiago both really struggled with the athleticism/strength of OKC's big men. Come playoff time those two will have to play stronger inside on the offensive side.

Oh and speaking of Tiago, when he touches the ball good things usually happen for our 2nd unit. Pop and Tiago's teammates would be wise to remember this.

ChumpDumper
02-05-2012, 03:48 AM
I guess it's like counting on a healthy Manu for the playoffs. :stirpot:

Proxy
02-05-2012, 04:04 AM
Fools gold?.... I'll hold off on any pessimism to that degree while Manu is out. That being said, this game doesn't stand as a measuring stick by any means for future meetings.

I did like the spurts of defense that were responsible for shutting Westbrook and Durant down.

The only thing that should be taken by the team from this game is confidence. It's great to see TP ala 2007 and Timmy looking excited to play.

ElNono
02-05-2012, 04:09 AM
I guess it's like counting on a healthy Manu for the playoffs. :stirpot:

jesterbobman
02-05-2012, 04:11 AM
If we were the same level of deviation away negatively from our regular 3 point % as we were above in this game, would we call it a fluke loss? It's pretty much the same level of deviation from the norm to shoot 24% (5-21) as shooting 52% as happened tonight. We might not be able to win consistently with 52% shooting, but we are also unlikely to lose because of 20% 3 shooting to often.

We have areas of concern that are prolonged, and likely to continue. Those are the things to focus on(DeJuan Blair deciding to stop rebounding, and being sievelike are the primary concerns.)

Proxy
02-05-2012, 04:17 AM
If we were the same level of deviation away negatively from our regular 3 point % as we were above in this game, would we call it a fluke loss? It's pretty much the same level of deviation from the norm to shoot 24% (5-21) as shooting 52% as happened tonight. We might not be able to win consistently with 52% shooting, but we are also unlikely to lose because of 20% 3 shooting to often.

We have areas of concern that are prolonged, and likely to continue. Those are the things to focus on(DeJuan Blair deciding to stop rebounding, and being sievelike are the primary concerns.)

Can SA shoot 52% 16 times in the playoffs?

timtonymanu
02-05-2012, 04:22 AM
It was a good win and I'll enjoy it but until the team starts playing defense consistently, I can't say the team is on a turning point. Also Jefferson, Bonner, and Blair have major roles on this team when they shouldn't be having them. The Spurs still have one of the weakest front lines of the playoff teams.

They are definitely more deep and disciplined than last year and could make it out of the 1st round if they are fully healthy.

crc21209
02-05-2012, 04:25 AM
We got a lot of open shots, yes..but I don't think it's as much about OKC's bad defense as it was about our ball movement. I haven't seen us move the ball this well all season..that's what got us the open shots.You get those wide open shots and it's just like a shootaround.

+1. This was the one major thing I noticed too. The ball was constantly moving on a consistent basis, it never stuck with one guy. :tu

jesterbobman
02-05-2012, 04:31 AM

No, but that wasn't my point. 52% is a deviation from the norm, but you expect to shoot the norm over a sufficiently long period. We could win shooting 40% though. My point was that the fools gold is that we have a position of poor play that is likely to stay consistently below par(rebounding and defense more consistent than shooting), and that's the worry. We will lose games shooting badly, but that's just luck.

Obstructed_View
02-05-2012, 04:38 AM
Seemed like the Thunder hit a lot of threes, and they still lost by 11. The Thunder packed the paint and as a result the Spurs were wide fucking open. It's not like the Spurs were jacking up defended garbage at the end of the shot clock. The shots were off swinging the ball around or penetration and dish, not off the dribble.

There's no fool's gold win when your best player is sitting behind the bench with a cast on his hand.

Obstructed_View
02-05-2012, 04:39 AM

I guarantee you that if they do it once in the playoffs the opponent will change the way they defend the three point line.

Dex
02-05-2012, 04:59 AM
Tony puts up 42 and 9 and breaks a franchise record and the Spurs beat the best current team in the league, and people still wanna bitch because we made too many threes.

This board just boggles my mind sometimes.

therealtruth
02-05-2012, 05:24 AM

Honestly, running the secondary offense through Splitter, instead of Green and Neal, could be the difference in living and dying by the 3 and actually having a playoff-built team..the Splitter offense leads to points in the paint, and opens things up for the shooters, particularly Bonner, as of late..while Neal and Green offense often leads to bad shots and questionable decisions that aren't punishable during the regular season(half the time), but are suicide during the playoffs..

Having TJ Ford run the bench offense could lead to Splitter receiving more touches, but that's far from a lock..Ford is known to control the ball for an entire possession..

Good point. Playoffs are all about half court execution and getting good shots. You want your star players to be able to draw the double teams and get the role players good shots. If they're not doubled you want them to force the action and score and/or get fouled.

chazley
02-05-2012, 05:26 AM
We just beat the Thunder by double digits, and Tony is playing awesome this season. Everyone chill the fuck out.

Oh yeah, we're also without our best player.

venitian navigator
02-05-2012, 05:43 AM
It has been a too much good game for Parker for been considered a "normal" game.
It's for sure that we showed a better defense than last year, but it's still clear that we need a lot more in the paint, offensively and defensively...one thing it's weird is that Blair is becoming a little better defensive player (but always not in the paint, lacking the necessary height) while losing a lot on the offensive and rebounding side...

Wild Cobra Kai
02-05-2012, 10:25 AM
I guarantee you that if they do it once in the playoffs the opponent will change the way they defend the three point line.

...which will open up the paint to drivers.

They also didn't need to shoot 52% to win tonight, just to win easily. If you subtract the unnecessary three makes for nine points, they would have shot 39%, quite doable.

rascal
02-05-2012, 11:36 AM
They were a 61 win team last year and it meant nothing because the playoffs are played at a different level. No more wide open looks on the 3 point line as defenses tighten. The Spurs feast during the regular season from the open looks they get at the 3 point line.

If they are not playing well defensively in the paint and scoring in the paint then they will have problems in the playoffs.

The Spurs are still thin on the frontline.

rascal
02-05-2012, 11:38 AM
...which will open up the paint to drivers.

They also didn't need to shoot 52% to win tonight, just to win easily. If you subtract the unnecessary three makes for nine points, they would have shot 39%, quite doable.

No it won't. Memphis did a great job shutting down the interior for easy layups and putting pressure on the 3 point shooters.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-05-2012, 11:46 AM
No it won't. Memphis did a great job shutting down the interior for easy layups and putting pressure on the 3 point shooters.

We win that series in 6 games if Ginobili isn't out for game one, or if Pop gives the last shot in that game to Neal instead of RJ.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-05-2012, 11:49 AM
BTW, did anyone else notice that OKC is favoring offense, too, these days by going with Cook starting and giving Sefolosha a DNP/CD :wow?

will_spurs
02-05-2012, 11:53 AM

The real question is: can they do it 57% of their playoff games? (16-28)

will_spurs
02-05-2012, 11:54 AM
BTW, did anyone else notice that OKC is favoring offense, too, these days by going with Cook starting and giving Sefolosha a DNP/CD :wow?

Sefolosha is hurt. It's not really a coach decision.

mercos
02-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Everyone keeps mentioning last year, but you must remember the Spurs best player last year missed the first game of the playoffs and played the remaining games with a broken arm. With a healthy Manu that is a different series. This years team is a different animal. We are upgraded in our front line with Tiago. We have a superior perimeter defender against elite wings in Leonard. Duncan looks a lot better this year after losing some weight. Last year was a good team, but we are improved this year in the areas we were weak in last year.

rascal
02-05-2012, 11:58 AM
We win that series in 6 games if Ginobili isn't out for game one, or if Pop gives the last shot in that game to Neal instead of RJ.

No, Memphis clearly outplayed San Antonio in that series.

Norris Cole
02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Definitely fool's gold, much like all last season tbh...

TDMVPDPOY
02-05-2012, 12:22 PM
built for regular season, choke again in the playoffs

DAF86
02-05-2012, 12:56 PM
I don't know, we match up pretty well against OKC.

spurs10
02-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Even if our 3pt.% was brought down to planet earth, we still win this one handily. Fantastic win! One for the the history books for Tony. He was scoring for two after all. When Manu returns they will likely average about 40 a game...

Wild Cobra Kai
02-05-2012, 02:11 PM
No, Memphis clearly outplayed San Antonio in that series.

If Manu was there, we win game 1, and go into game 6 up 3-2. That double digit lead we had would have had the Grizz folding like a cheap card table.

SpurNation
02-05-2012, 05:57 PM
Not sure I agree it was a fool's gold win but agree other forms of consistent scoring need to be improved upon before entering playoffs. I do believe this team is better equipped in it's perimeter department as compared to last season which may help. But as pointed out...there is a weakness in the front court that may rear it's ugly head again come playoffs.

rmt
02-05-2012, 06:54 PM
As someone mentioned, the frontline is thin. Spurs' injuries have been to the crowded backcourt. Can you imagine if Duncan and Splitter went down instead of Manu and TJ? Spurs would be lucky to win any games.

I celebrate any win but Splitter needs more than 15 minutes to be ready for the real season.

therealtruth
02-05-2012, 07:31 PM
As someone mentioned, the frontline is thin. Spurs' injuries have been to the crowded backcourt. Can you imagine if Duncan and Splitter went down instead of Manu and TJ? Spurs would be lucky to win any games.

I celebrate any win but Splitter needs more than 15 minutes to be ready for the real season.

Agree. His defense is going to be much more important in the playoffs. Bonner and Blair won't be able to consistently stop the pf in the west.

Sean Cagney
02-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Live by the three, die by the three. More than likely they will die by it yet again in the playoffs.

I think they are a better team this year though with Splitter playing more and Leonard out there etc. If they do rely on that to win the games though then you are probably right. I hated the makuep of last years team all year long, spite the fact they were winning alot of games. I would rather lose some early and get better than a tease all year knowing there is no shot at getting far.

EVAY
02-05-2012, 08:29 PM

Most impressive analysis of this entire thread.

Thank you.

spurtech09
02-05-2012, 10:03 PM
I could walk into a gym by myself and make 6 or 7 out of every 10 threes consistently.
doubt it:wow

Obstructed_View
02-06-2012, 07:23 PM

Apples and oranges. Spurs aren't running plays for three pointers this year, which is why the threes are wide open. Memphis did do a great job against a team without their two best players.

Blake
02-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Have there been any fool's gold losses this year?

my2sons
02-06-2012, 11:26 PM
...looks like the spurs got another fools gold win..keep em comin'

z0sa
02-07-2012, 02:16 AM
fool's gold win minus Manu?

:rollin

ElNono
02-07-2012, 02:51 AM
Today the Spurs shot a more 'average' 43.8% from downtown... that said, Grizzlies and Thunder are right now two completely different teams...

ElNono
02-07-2012, 02:52 AM
Have there been any fool's gold losses this year?

Sacramento at home comes to mind. Spurs are certainly better than them.

Blake
02-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Sacramento at home comes to mind. Spurs are certainly better than them.

What W/L record would accurately reflect the Spurs true gold value?