PDA

View Full Version : ESPN has the Spurs ranked best in the West.

Spursfan092120
02-06-2012, 03:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/year/2012/week/6

In the most recent NBA power rankings, the Spurs are ranked 5th, behind the Heat, the Bulls, the Pacers, and Philly. Nobody in the West is above us. Nice.

lefty
02-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Nice ?

Whatever those rankings mean .............

cheguevara
02-06-2012, 03:36 PM
tells you how shitty this season has been.

phxspurfan
02-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Respect mon!

SpursSecurity
02-06-2012, 03:39 PM
tells you how shitty this season has been.

Totally agree. It's been a season of the haves and have nots. But, shorten season = Spurs Championship. Done it once, now going to do it again.

TJastal
02-06-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm sure this was done reluctantly. The blowout to the thunder probably shook their faith in their blessed Dur-inf-ant to the core.

I'm just kind of surprised they don't have the clippers ranked higher.

CubanMustGo
02-06-2012, 04:16 PM
The Spurs have been so impotent on the road that you can be sure they won't be #1 in the West by the end of the RRT. 5-4 would be miraculous.

z0sa
02-06-2012, 04:23 PM
The Spurs have been so impotent on the road that you can be sure they won't be #1 in the West by the end of the RRT. 5-4 would be miraculous.

While I agree with the premise, these aren't your average every other year veteran-laden SA Spurs. Younger, chemistry building teams like ours tend to do bad on the road early on - this is a perfect opportunity for our young guys to seize the day, have a retro-style 2003esque Rodeo Roadtrip and come alive on the road.

Mel_13
02-06-2012, 04:26 PM
While I agree with the premise, these aren't your average every other year veteran-laden SA Spurs. Younger, chemistry building teams like ours tend to do bad on the road early on - this is a perfect opportunity for our young guys to seize the day, have a retro-style 2003esque Rodeo Roadtrip and come alive on the road.

First 5 road games: 0-5
Next 6 road games: 3-3
RRT: ?

Amuseddaysleeper
02-06-2012, 04:28 PM
First 5 road games: 0-5
Next 6 road games: 3-3
RRT: 7-2

bus driver
02-06-2012, 04:29 PM
now espn wants on the bus :flipoff

:flag:
:flag:

TDomination
02-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Though rankings are meaningless, it is still nice to see that we're still in the top half of the league as opposed to the bottom half. We lost our best player and backup pg and we're still right there.

Yeah things can change after the next 9 games but as of RIGHT NOW, we are in good position.

will_spurs
02-06-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm sure this was done reluctantly. The blowout to the thunder probably shook their faith in their blessed Dur-inf-ant to the core.

I'm just kind of surprised they don't have the clippers ranked higher.

I'm agreeing with you on both counts, the end of the world is probably very, very near.

All the pundits were saying how great Westbrook has been this year, that he was a lock to the ASG and so on... and Parker wiped the floor with him. That must have been tough to swallow.

And I'm really surprised at how little respect the Clippers get. They have two of the most gifted players in the NBA right now, and they are young too. That's more than enough to make some noise, especially in a compressed season.

TJastal
02-06-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm agreeing with you on both counts, the end of the world is probably very, very near.

All the pundits were saying how great Westbrook has been this year, that he was a lock to the ASG and so on... and Parker wiped the floor with him. That must have been tough to swallow.

And I'm really surprised at how little respect the Clippers get. They have two of the most gifted players in the NBA right now, and they are young too. That's more than enough to make some noise, especially in a compressed season.

I'm looking at their role players too, all of which are pretty damn good and all playing at a high level. Butler, Billups, Mo Williams, and add Martin to the mix and that team is an offensive juggernaut that should be ranked #3 at the very least and I would actually put them at #2.

Solid D
02-06-2012, 05:42 PM
NBA.com is more reasonable and realistic. John Schuhmann has the Spurs
listed as 3rd best in the West, 7th over all. That's about right.

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/powerrankings/02/06/week6/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Let's see how they look after about game 6 or 7 of the RRT. My guess is, they will drop down in the rankings.

Nathan Explosion
02-06-2012, 05:51 PM
The Spurs went 4-0 this week (starting Monday) and beat Memphis, Houston and OKC. Don't forget the gutty comeback by the bench against Dallas.

The Spurs are looking good, but I think it speaks more to the fact that no team has truly separated themselves in the West, other than OKC. And look what Parker did to them.

TD 21
02-06-2012, 06:09 PM
A healthy Spurs team probably is the best in the West. And if they can acquire the third big they need, I'll be convinced that they are. Because the Spurs need more to go right for them than the Thunder do, I'll give the Thunder the edge as favorites. But I don't buy that they're better than the Spurs. For the most part, the Spurs have handled them with relative ease in the past year and a half.

Solid D
02-06-2012, 06:20 PM
What makes the Spurs so good right now is their execution and ball-movement. When they hit the road and their legs get a bit weary and their shots start hitting front-of-rim, they will need even better execution to stay in the hunt. Long teams really give the Spurs a tough time, especially when the threes aren't falling.

In the East, look out for Boston. Awesome defense. They' good.

sehui
02-06-2012, 07:06 PM
0_0 how are we ranked higher than OKC? Under the comment section they address OKC's rank simply because of Perkin's craziness..

Just because we beat them once all of a sudden we are number 1 in the west?

These rankings really don't mean shit because regardless of how good Indiana and Philly are playing, I find it hard to believe they are better than Spurs, OKC, Dallas, Clippers

DesignatedT
02-06-2012, 07:09 PM
we're done and have 0 chance to win the west according to the experts here....

just move along... don't even bother watching the games tbh

The Truth #6
02-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Pop's teams always seem to execute well, at least better than most teams, which helps get wins in the regular season. In the playoffs, teams prepare better and the situation is more difficult. I'm still not sold on this team getting out of the second round, but if the young players can continue to improve and get minutes, and if Manu can return and somehow not get injured for the playoffs, then our playoff chances are more unpredictable, especially in this chaotic season*.

Robz4000
02-06-2012, 07:22 PM
What? Clippers are the most bandwagon'd team in the West. They sure as hell get more respect than the Spurs. I mean hell, they're on TV just about every night it seems, while it's once in a blue moon the Spurs get the national spotlight. Also, last I checked, a lot of experts were saying the Clippers would go far in the postseason this year.

Obstructed_View
02-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Good week, but unless it ends with a parade, yawn.

ffadicted
02-06-2012, 07:52 PM
lol ESPN, talk about jumping the gun on the Thunder's losses

DPG21920
02-06-2012, 08:11 PM
we're done and have 0 chance to win the west according to the experts here....

just move along... don't even bother watching the games tbh

You might be the funniest poster here.

Nathan Explosion
02-06-2012, 09:33 PM
0_0 how are we ranked higher than OKC? Under the comment section they address OKC's rank simply because of Perkin's craziness..

Just because we beat them once all of a sudden we are number 1 in the west?

These rankings really don't mean shit because regardless of how good Indiana and Philly are playing, I find it hard to believe they are better than Spurs, OKC, Dallas, Clippers

They're weekly power rankings based on how the teams are playing for the prior week in and recent games (the previous week too).

It doesn't mean that's who Stein thinks is the best team period.

Spursfan092120
02-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Nobody thinks these rankings mean anything..I just posted this because honestly...who would have thought we would even be in this position with Manu out and our backup PG out? I'm impressed by how hard this team is playing.