PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever taken 5 steps between dribbles...

Solid D
02-06-2012, 08:02 PM
with the basketball and gotten away with it? Jason Kidd made 4 steps, between or after picking up the dribble, famous on the fast break. Tony Parker does it with regularity. MJ, of course. Anyone ever counted 5?

ThaBigFundamental21
02-06-2012, 10:09 PM
If anyone could get away with it it would be LeBron. That dude just doesn't play by the same rules as anyone else and I don't get it. I pretty much loathe NBA officiating.

YoMamaIsCallin
02-06-2012, 11:31 PM
There is no rule regulating how many steps you can take between dribbles.

I defy you to show me any video of someone taking 4 steps after picking up their dribble (without being called of course). It doesn't happen. Either that or you are counting wrong. You do realize that the step you take as you're picking up your dribble doesn't count, right? and you are allowed two steps after that?

Seventyniner
02-06-2012, 11:40 PM
LeBron.

MI21
02-06-2012, 11:42 PM
There is no rule regulating how many steps you can take between dribbles.

I defy you to show me any video of someone taking 4 steps after picking up their dribble (without being called of course). It doesn't happen. Either that or you are counting wrong. You do realize that the step you take as you're picking up your dribble doesn't count, right? and you are allowed two steps after that?

sJIoDdxByoY

bCYB_i2csSA

XhWAodyaL2s

gKH3ZMMG8rQ

Travels happen a ridiculous amount in the NBA, tbh.

GSH
02-06-2012, 11:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3951002

MI21
02-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Solid D with the goods per usual.

Kobe, LeBron, Wade and Kidd are amazing at getting the pass and then taking 3/4 steps and then taking the first dribble... Kobe does it every single game without fail.

therealtruth
02-07-2012, 12:59 AM
Solid D with the goods per usual.

Kobe, LeBron, Wade and Kidd are amazing at getting the pass and then taking 3/4 steps and then taking the first dribble... Kobe does it every single game without fail.

I think you're allowed more steps if you catch while running but I think you have to go up after that.

Solid D
02-07-2012, 01:22 AM
NBA rule XIV (that's 14 for those of you who don't speak Roman Numeral)

Section XIV-Traveling
a. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.
The first count occurs:
(1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it.
(2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultaneously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.
The second occurs:
(1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.

Cry Havoc
02-07-2012, 03:58 AM
I got this:

xN_ljDfevB0

mudyez
02-07-2012, 04:06 AM
stutter step anyone?

and yeah, it doesnt matter....a good nba player need about 3-4 dribblings basket to basket...(I do it with 3 baseline to baseline in non game conditions, without palming the ball, witouht dribbling it higher than my shoulder...I know, coz I'm coaching these things a lot).

btw.: I can remember seeing vids of nba guys taking more than 10 steps without even dribbling. its insane.

Darkwaters
02-07-2012, 06:07 AM
I got this:

xN_ljDfevB0

That shit pisses me off to no end. Players change their pivot foot and slide it all over the place with great regularity.

SpurSpurSpurs
02-07-2012, 06:13 AM
I got this:

xN_ljDfevB0

RJ doing defense? That's odd.

Yorae
02-07-2012, 06:45 AM
Uh...I don't think that's Richard......

Mal
02-07-2012, 07:06 AM
That shit pisses me off to no end. Players change their pivot foot and slide it all over the place with great regularity.

Impossible to get away with such shit in Europe.

But in Europe there are games where 26 out of combined 32 pts in 4q comes from free throws. Dont know what is better.

Obstructed_View
02-07-2012, 07:15 AM
Uh...I don't think that's Richard......

Pretty sure that's Maurice Evans since RJ was never a Hawk.

temujin
02-07-2012, 07:48 AM
I got this:

xN_ljDfevB0

I count 8 steps.
And then he complains about an an obvious foul.

Fantastic.

temujin
02-07-2012, 07:49 AM
NBA rule XIV (that's 14 for those of you who don't speak Roman Numeral)

Section XIV-Traveling
a. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.
The first count occurs:
(1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it.
(2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultaneously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.
The second occurs:
(1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.

You enforce this, and Lebron James quits playing basketball.

YoMamaIsCallin
02-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Travels happen a ridiculous amount in the NBA, tbh.

The first two are probably traveling but are three steps instead of two at most. This is the usual thing where somebody takes an extra little shuffle step while making his drive. This one is tough to see and call, I've done it myself in a game without being called.

The second two, I don't think are traveling at all. The LeBron one, he taps the ball ahead (doesn't have possession) then picks it up and starts his dribble. The Monta Ellis one, I don't see traveling at all.

So, no, nothing close to four steps here.

YoMamaIsCallin
02-07-2012, 09:22 AM
I got this:

hmmm I see two travels there:

1) he switches his pivot foot

2) when he starts his move he moves his pivot foot before starting his dribble

Neither is the mythical "four steps", not that it shouldn't have been called.

MI21
02-08-2012, 08:40 AM
The first two are probably traveling but are three steps instead of two at most.

So, no, nothing close to four steps here.

If you can't see 4 steps in either of those first 2 videos, I really don't know what to say.

polandprzem
02-08-2012, 10:11 AM
I always was pissed about double dribble on FB's

I Heart Ginobili
02-08-2012, 02:12 PM
I got this:

xN_ljDfevB0

This is hilarious. He changes his pivot foot like 4 times then proceeds to choke out the guy when he loses the ball and complains about the call. :lmao

Cry Havoc
02-08-2012, 03:56 PM
hmmm I see two travels there:

1) he switches his pivot foot

2) when he starts his move he moves his pivot foot before starting his dribble

Neither is the mythical "four steps", not that it shouldn't have been called.

Nice try, NBA ref.

Dex
02-08-2012, 04:24 PM
I've taken like a billion steps since my last dribble.

cantthinkofanything
02-08-2012, 04:28 PM
I've taken like a billion steps since my last dribble.

Shit, I dribble as soon as I zip my fly. I don't even get one step in.

YoMamaIsCallin
02-08-2012, 05:12 PM
If you can't see 4 steps in either of those first 2 videos, I really don't know what to say.

Ah... I gots to EDJICATE...

The Steve Francis one.. watch the last replay (from the baseline camera in slo mo). He catches the ball as he's taking a step, which doesn't count. He then takes 2 steps and dribbles (actually just bounces the ball out in front of him but that counts as a dribble) on the 3rd step. That's where the travel should have been called but it's nowhere near four steps. At most it's one extra little step which is what I said originally, people get away with that extra little shuffle on the way to the basket all the time. What happens after he bounces the ball is perfectly legal in any league.

The Josh Smith one is actually pretty similar which was my original call on it. Watch the last slo mo replay. He catches the ball, takes a step (which doesn't count), then takes two quick steps (which should have been one) and goes up for the dunk. Again, just one extra step, should have been called, but again that kind of thing is overlooked all the time, especially when the player gets no advantage over the defense for it (it was a clear path to the basket just like the Francis one).

Also realize that at that time, both these guys were near-All-Star types (I think they've both actually been in All-Star games IIRC). Refs just don't call one little extra step like that unless the player gets an advantage, against that class of player.

So bottom line:

(a) no four steps (not even close)
(b) not really that unusual even that it was a no-call

YoMamaIsCallin
02-08-2012, 05:23 PM
I count 8 steps.
And then he complains about an an obvious foul.

Fantastic.

A pivot is not a step. Dude. Once again I need to break this down for those who don't really know what they're looking at.

OK here what happens:

1. Catches the ball.
2. Slides his right foot establishing his left as his pivot foot.
3. Slides his left foot. Travel! Switching pivot feet.
4. Pivots on his left foot.
5. Gets crowded, moves his left (new pivot) foot. Travel!
6. Faces up the defender, keeping his left foot as his (newly relocated) pivot foot.
7. Starts his drive, but moves his left foot before starting his dribble. Travel!
8. Gets doubled, stops and turns, tries to pass out but gets it stolen, fouls the stealer.

OK so there's three travels there not two like I said. But nothing like 4 or 5 steps. These were pivot foot violations. Not "taking steps between dribbles". Everything after he started his dribble was legal (but awful).

update: just realized the guy who posted this on YouTube annotated it with 6 purported travels. 3 of them are incorrect and were not traveling. That guy does not understand basketball.