PDA

View Full Version : Malcom Thomas waived by Spurs

bklynspursfan
02-07-2012, 11:11 AM
http://www.poundingtherock.com/2012/2/7/2782246/spurs-place-malcolm-thomas-on-waivers

A possible move coming?

Mel_13
02-07-2012, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't expect anything other than 10-day contracts for now.

bklynspursfan
02-07-2012, 11:20 AM

Some pretty serviceable bigs still on the market to give 10-12 mins a game maybe

http://hoopshype.com/free_agency.htm

TimmehC
02-07-2012, 11:36 AM
If there's anything else to it, it's probably an offer he got from overseas, not another player the Spurs are bringing aboard. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, though.

GSH
02-07-2012, 11:40 AM
Wasn't this a case where they either had to waive him, or guarantee his contract? If that's correct, then it probably doesn't indicate anything except money considerations.

therealtruth
02-07-2012, 11:50 AM
The Spurs are not even trying.

DPG21920
02-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Wasn't this a case where they either had to waive him, or guarantee his contract? If that's correct, then it probably doesn't indicate anything except money considerations.

That is correct.

bklynspursfan
02-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Thanks for the heads up

will_spurs
02-07-2012, 12:32 PM

Definitely the case. Blair, Neal and Green are also concerned, but none of them is likely to be cut :lol

DeJuan Blair, SAS $986,000
Danny Green, SAS $854,389
Gary Neal, SAS $762,195
Malcolm Thomas, SAS $408,674

Source: http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-120203-04/nba-all-star-reserve-picks

jjktkk
02-07-2012, 01:20 PM
The Spurs are not even trying.

Link?

The ADMIRAL 50
02-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Link?

:lol

The ADMIRAL 50
02-07-2012, 02:12 PM
tbh, I would pick up Fesenko.

timvp
02-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Thomas just didn't show enough in Austin. A true NBA prospect would tear up the D-League right now.

I also wasn't too thrilled with his height since about four of his inches were due to having a long neck.

/cuerjjoke

yavozerb
02-07-2012, 04:36 PM
Thomas just didn't show enough in Austin. A true NBA prospect would tear up the D-League right now.

I also wasn't too thrilled with his height since about four of his inches were due to having a long neck.

/cuerjjoke

Ya, i agree...If his neck was 6 inches longer I think he would have went in the lottery..:lol

Trill Clinton
02-07-2012, 04:50 PM
I agree, dude is short. I wonder if the next body Pop and RC brings in will be from the d-league.

8FOR!3
02-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Fesenko, Przybilla, Gadzuric, Damp, Oberto, and Keith Benson come to mind. I'd still try out Benson. I know he didn't work out in Atlanta, but I think he's going to be a career backup center. Maybe 3rd string at worst, but an NBA player nonetheless. I think he's put up 13/6 in 4 games with Sioux Falls.

ChumpDumper
02-07-2012, 05:02 PM
I agree, dude is short. I wonder if the next body Pop and RC brings in will be from the d-league.Probably nobody that could really help this season.

The vet free agents look like better options.

ChumpDumper
02-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Fesenko, Przybilla, Gadzuric, Damp, Oberto, and Keith Benson come to mind. I'd still try out Benson. I know he didn't work out in Atlanta, but I think he's going to be a career backup center. Maybe 3rd string at worst, but an NBA player nonetheless. I think he's put up 13/6 in 4 games with Sioux Falls.He's the only guy that really fits the profile of what the Spurs are apparently looking for.

jjktkk
02-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Fesenko, Przybilla, Gadzuric, Damp, Oberto, and Keith Benson come to mind. I'd still try out Benson. I know he didn't work out in Atlanta, but I think he's going to be a career backup center. Maybe 3rd string at worst, but an NBA player nonetheless. I think he's put up 13/6 in 4 games with Sioux Falls.

IIRC, prior to the draft, there were question's regarding Benson's desire for the game. Looking at his D-league stats, those questions are still there.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/keith_benson/

underdawg
02-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Link?

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/matt_bonner/

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/dejuan_blair/

underdawg
02-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Greg Smith - RGV Vipers is worth a look

As far as vets, there's a reason why none of those mentioned have been signed. Pryz is probably the exception, but he will only consider Miami and Chicago. The rest are probably out of shape.

The only hope for improvement on the front line is via a trade or by sheer luck that Pop has to play a young big and finds a gem in the process.

8FOR!3
02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
I think Greg Smith just got picked up.

ChumpDumper
02-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Yeah, Smith is ok. Scores pretty well at that level but his inconsistency on the boards really bugs me considering his size.

underdawg
02-07-2012, 05:44 PM
I think Greg Smith just got picked up.

Yeah, Smith is ok. Scores pretty well at that level but his inconsistency on the boards really bugs me considering his size.

didn't realize he got signed:

Sam Amick: As @Jonathan Feigen reported, source says Houston to sign C Greg Smith from NBDL. Expected to be multi-yr deal. Twitter (http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html)

For what it's worth, his #'s were pretty similar to Ian's in the d-league (not that Ian is a great rebounder but adequate)

underdawg
02-07-2012, 05:49 PM
How serviceable is Solomon Jones? I expect that the Clippers waived him for Kenyon, but his small sample size of games this year (looking at stats) weren't that bad.

angelbelow
02-07-2012, 06:00 PM
tbh, I would pick up Fesenko.

Fesenko was really good his rookie year but since then hes turned into an injury prone, lazy, fat kid.

SpurNation
02-07-2012, 07:12 PM
http://www.nba.com/dleague/statistics/player/DoubleD.jsp?league=20&season=22011&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&splitScope=GAME&qualified=N&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=All%20Teams

Marcus Lewis is not only leading in this category but more importantly fits the bill as a "Spurs" type of player. He won't get you many blocks but plays solid positional D in the post plus has a really nice jump shot. Hustle: Rebounds; Solid D. I think his style of game would suit the Spurs effectively as a 3rd option and may even push Blair for minutes.

Spurtacus
02-07-2012, 07:17 PM

For a championship run we need to pick up a big with experience. Pryzbilla would be my top choice from that list.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-07-2012, 07:50 PM

Wild Cobra Kai
02-07-2012, 07:51 PM

Yes. They wanted to "take a look". They did the same thing with Green last year and he stuck this year.

MT was just never going to play a role this year. It's almost impossible to hold practices, and that's prime teaching time.

spurs10
02-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Hope he gets picked up somewhere and made enough to keep him going for a while.
Liked his attitude....

maverick1948
02-07-2012, 11:37 PM
Leo Lyon looks good. Austin Toros. that gives him a head start on the system. He is working on a 15 pt and 7.5 reb. He is 6'9 and 240. I watched a couple of the Toros games on NBA TV plus we were in Austin for 2 games. He came off the bench both night and produce pts and boards. I think we should give him a look see for the 5th big that could step in for Duncan's night off. I know when late March and April, Pop will give Duncan a couple of nights off. Unless we are 8th seed. We have 2 back to back to backs. One in March and one in April. The one in March is part of a 5 games in 6 nights. I would bet a bunch on Duncan sitting one of them.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-08-2012, 08:26 AM
You think the Spurs haven't seen everything there is to see about Lyon? If he were NBA material, he'd be here.

Bruno
02-08-2012, 09:10 AM
It was an expected move. He has barely played with Spurs and hasn't been dominant when send down to Austin.

Very few players have been waived yesterday when all contracts became guaranteed. I guess it's a consequence of all these injuries with teams losing depth because of them. Anyway, Spurs still really need to add a big and the market is thin.

underdawg
02-08-2012, 01:50 PM
the more info I see on Solomon Jones, the more I think he's worth a look:

qKX6Ixr0BAc

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Solomon-Jones-606/ (yes, I know it's older info)

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Solomon-Jones-606/stats/

Add to that - there should be a small benefit of him at least playing with TJ before.

ChumpDumper
02-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Leo Lyon looks good. Austin Toros. that gives him a head start on the system. He is working on a 15 pt and 7.5 reb. He is 6'9 and 240. I watched a couple of the Toros games on NBA TV plus we were in Austin for 2 games. He came off the bench both night and produce pts and boards. I think we should give him a look see for the 5th big that could step in for Duncan's night off. I know when late March and April, Pop will give Duncan a couple of nights off. Unless we are 8th seed. We have 2 back to back to backs. One in March and one in April. The one in March is part of a 5 games in 6 nights. I would bet a bunch on Duncan sitting one of them.Leo had a great game tonight against two Houston NBA big men: 29 pts and 16 reb. Faded late though. He's getting a little more consistent on the boards and inside scoring and may well get a call-up from somebody this season.

underdawg
02-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Leo had a great game tonight against two Houston NBA big men: 29 pts and 16 reb. Faded late though. He's getting a little more consistent on the boards and inside scoring and may well get a call-up from somebody this season.

Lance Thomas not too bad tonight for the Hornets vs. Portland in a close game - 7 pts, 4 rebs & 1 asst in 8 minutes

ChumpDumper
02-10-2012, 11:01 PM
Lance is a nice athlete and hustle player. Might stick if he develops any kind of jump shot.

BackHome
02-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Well we need someone because Timmy is going to need some time off and Blair I think is running out of gas at this point. So anyone..someone...HELP....

BackHome
02-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Leo had a great game tonight against two Houston NBA big men: 29 pts and 16 reb. Faded late though. He's getting a little more consistent on the boards and inside scoring and may well get a call-up from somebody this season.

Hey Chump:

So we got Leo and then Lance Thomas 6'8 PF- Duke, and Solomon Jones 6'11 - drafted 2006. Of these three who do you think has a legit chance of getting picked up?

Thanks,

ChumpDumper
02-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Hey Chump:

So we got Leo and then Lance Thomas 6'8 PF- Duke, and Solomon Jones 6'11 - drafted 2006. Of these three who do you think has a legit chance of getting picked up?

Thanks,Well, Lance is already playing for the Hornets on a 10-day. He's pretty skinny and needs to develop some perimeter skills to carve out a combo forward role for himself.

I didn't even know Jones was in the league five seasons. There's certainly enough of a history there for a team to know what it is getting. He'd probably have an edge to be the next signing.

Lyons has the advantage of a pretty good three point shot, but consistency in other areas was a big strike against him. If he continues to be the man while Lance is gone, his chances for a call up will increase.