PDA

View Full Version : Grantland Rookie Rankings, Leonard 3rd

Chase_the_Bass
02-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Link (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7551029/nba-rookie-rankings-v)

3. Kawhi Leonard

While other rookies have faltered, Leonard is still playing well. This is because offensive rebounding and putbacks are such large parts of Leonard's game with the Spurs. Even when his shooting falters, Leonard will still find scoring opportunities by crashing the boards. Currently, Leonard grabs 8.7 percent of all available offensive rebounds while he is on the court. The league average offensive rebound rate is 5.3. Leonard is fantastic at bum-rushing the paint from the perimeter, reading how the ball will bounce off the rim, and getting his hands on the basketball. But what I like most about Leonard's ability to convert offensive rebounds into points is his patience.

ZxYIpPnnAfY

When big men get offensive rebounds, they're taught to keep the ball high and go straight up with a putback. This is absolutely correct, but Leonard is a small forward. When he grabs a rebound, he can't always go straight up against taller players in the lane. Leonard is patient enough to dribble out of the paint, look for an opening, and then shoot. This patience allows him to convert a high percentage of his offensive rebounds into points.

cd98
02-07-2012, 05:51 PM
No superstar, but Kawhi will be a solid piece going forward. Anyone know how he is doing on Thorpe's ratings?

Robz4000
02-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Honestly, Kawhi is showing some supreme promise. It's not likely, but I can see him becoming a pseudo-star in the league.

CGD
02-07-2012, 06:03 PM
I am a big George Hill fan and was concerned about filling the void with the trade, but boy was this great trade by the Spurs. He's only going to get better once he works on his shot mechanics.

(Oh and we also got that much hyped Lorbeck fellow)

Robz4000
02-07-2012, 06:04 PM
I doubt Lorbeck will ever come play ball here in the U.S.

Em-City
02-07-2012, 06:32 PM
Leonard could put up Andre Iguodala numbers in a couple of years

Spurtacus
02-07-2012, 07:11 PM
On his way to first team all rookie team :tu

Wild Cobra Kai
02-07-2012, 10:35 PM
The thing that surprised me most about KL is his handle. He was presented as a combo forward, so I wasn't even sure he could dribble other than maybe to establish post up position. He brings the ball up the court...in the NBA.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-07-2012, 10:57 PM
Hatas gonna hate. You didn't like him from the minute he was drafted.

Ask Rudy Gay how un-athletic and asleep he is. You're only looking at one side of the game, and of COURSE he would defer on offense on this team. He passes up fewer shots than RJ, that's for sure.

wildbill2u
02-08-2012, 01:13 AM
We haven't had a SF who can rebound in a long long time. Sean was the last.

I think we've forgotten how important it can be for a SF to come off of the other side of the lane and go get an offensive rebound.

The ADMIRAL 50
02-08-2012, 01:39 AM
Hatas gonna hate. You didn't like him from the minute he was drafted.

Ask Rudy Gay how un-athletic and asleep he is. You're only looking at one side of the game, and of COURSE he would defer on offense on this team. He passes up fewer shots than RJ, that's for sure.

I was with you 100% until that last comment. Have you even been watching this year? Before that though spot on stuff so I suppose you have.

Nathan Explosion
02-08-2012, 02:04 AM
We haven't had a SF who can rebound in a long long time. Sean was the last.

I think we've forgotten how important it can be for a SF to come off of the other side of the lane and go get an offensive rebound.

I said that after the first few games. The Spurs used to get killed by good rebouding SF's. Josh Howard on the Mavs used to kill the Spurs. Marion as well (at his natural 3 spot).

Leonard has a knack for getting to the ball and making plays. He's got active hands and just seems to cause his man trouble, even when it doesn't look like he's doing much.

Brutalis
02-08-2012, 02:52 AM
He has great promise and could be something really special for us in the years to come. A better Bowen maybe.

He is so raw and that's his setback. If he had better coaching and prep than SDSU I think it would have helped. But he's wet clay ready to be molded so it's up to him to learn.

SpurNation
02-08-2012, 05:54 AM
He was worth the trade. He'll improve as time goes by. Solid in what appears to both potential and attitude. Looking forward to his growth and importance to this team.

acoelho1
02-08-2012, 09:58 AM
I think he has the potential to be a top defensive player in the league. Also, he is gym rat and we should see a major jump in his productivity in year 2 especially with a full training camp under his belt. From what I've seen so far, the G. Hill trade was definitely worth it. We need to get back to our roots and he provides more rebounding and overall better defense than Hill in my opinion.

Leetonidas
02-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Only thing that sucks is everytime he's taking it to the hole on a fast break after a steal or something, he ALWAYS fumbles the ball or bricks horribly or loses it or something, I'm not sure I've seen him convert a fast break bucket yet

Fireball
02-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Only thing that sucks is everytime he's taking it to the hole on a fast break after a steal or something, he ALWAYS fumbles the ball or bricks horribly or loses it or something, I'm not sure I've seen him convert a fast break bucket yet

Then you have seen the wrong games ... there were some fastbreaks where he handled the ball quite well and finished with a nice finger roll against a defender. But I agree with you, sometimes he does not ...

Obstructed_View
02-08-2012, 02:28 PM

You must be fantasizing basketball games, because that's simply not the case.

TDMVPDPOY
02-08-2012, 02:38 PM
dont think he get ROY, thats irving for the taking unless he flops

all rookie first team?

jjktkk
02-08-2012, 03:05 PM
He has great promise and could be something really special for us in the years to come. A better Bowen maybe.

He is so raw and that's his setback. If he had better coaching and prep than SDSU I think it would have helped. But he's wet clay ready to be molded so it's up to him to learn.

He actually had a heck of a college coach in Fisher. Leonard's being raw has to do with Leonard changing from a 4 in college to a 3 in the NBA. From playing in the paint in college, to playing out on the perimeter, handling the ball more, chasing perimeter players thru screens, etc..., thats an awfully big transition imo.