PDA

View Full Version : Celtics Interested In Rondo For Gasol Trade?

mindcrime
02-08-2012, 01:36 PM
Mitch Kupchak recently talked openly about the Lakers' desire to acquire a young, talented point guard ahead of the deadline.

“Well, if there were a way for us to get a 25-year-old, All-Star, ball-handling guard we’d love to do it," said Kupchak to Mike Trudell of Lakers.com. "But that’s not likely in February. So you look at other alternatives, and see if it’s better than what you have. That’s all.”

Rajon Rondo is the player that fits that description, possibly the only one in the NBA.

Sources say the Celtics have interest in acquiring Pau Gasol for Rondo.

The Lakers attempting to move Gasol in a deal in December for Chris Paul.

Read more:
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218873/Celtics_Interested_In_Rondo_For_Gasol_Trade#ixzz1l ohZqJRB

If true, Ainge is an idiot.

Giuseppe
02-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Ainge wouldn't dare. He already disgraced himself with the Perkins Fiasco.

Killakobe81
02-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Bull shit, Celts laugh in the Lakers face ...

I do wonder why so many Rondo rumors pop up every year though. He cant shoot but the kid can play ...

KG would be EXACTLY what Gasol needs. He would toghen his ass up quick ...would never happen Lakers and Celts are REAL rivals not media ones. They have traded before ...but usually when they both suck ...OK maybe it does happen.

baseline bum
02-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Even if false, Ainge has already shown himself to be an idiot numerous times.

DAF86
02-08-2012, 01:45 PM
I don't know why people are acting like the Lakers would be the clear cut winners in this trade, maybe the age factor, but for now and the immediate future this looks like a pretty even trade, in fact looking at the talent pool in both positions I would rather have Gasol than Rondo.

Killakobe81
02-08-2012, 01:48 PM
I don't know why people are acting like the Lakers would be the clear cut winners in this trade, maybe the age factor, but for now and the immediate future this looks like a pretty even trade, in fact looking at the talent pool in both positions I would rather have Gasol than Rondo.
Pau is a better player and a big ...not saying they "win" but Rondo means more to them (no offense to Pau who helped bring 2 titles) the Pau means to us.

DAF86
02-08-2012, 01:49 PM
And maybe Pau means more to them that what Rondo currently means to them.

pass1st
02-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Rondo hates the Lakers

pass1st
02-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Rondo hates the Lakers

02-08-2012, 02:08 PM
celtics should focus on rebuilding and that means keeping rondo. they must be delusional if they thing they can win with pau gasol. rondo and pierce turning back the clock are the only things keeping the celtics afloat.

lefty
I call BS

Why would the Lakers do that?

They have an edge in the paint with their twin towers, and Rondo can't shoot (even though he has improved in that area)
Yes, he shits on Fisher, but still ...

MavDynasty
:lol lakerfan

DJB
02-08-2012, 02:09 PM
First: why would the Celts ever trade away their best player.

Second: Why in the fuck would it ever be to the LAKERS?

DJB
02-08-2012, 02:13 PM
I call BS

What?

LnGrrrR
02-08-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm just waiting for the next Boston headline:

"Ainge floats Rondo trade offer for sesame seed bagel with cream cheese"

with great quotes like

"Look, if you can make a trade for a bagel, and not just a bagel but a bagel with some schmear on it, and you're a hungry team, or a hungry person for that matter because you missed breakfast, well, you can't pass up a chance to look at that deal."

William Hung
02-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Via Eric Pincus/HoopsWorld :lol

Josepatches_
02-08-2012, 03:05 PM
I call BS

They have an edge in the paint with their twin towers, and Rondo can't shoot (even though he has improved in that area)
Yes, he shits on Fisher, but still ...

Agree

But they trade Odom for nothing..they could do it again
Anyway they are done. Same Celtics.

Giuseppe
02-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Anyway they are done.

I remembering hearing the same thing after the '08 Finals, when it was still 4-3 Duncan.

tee, hee.

angelbelow
02-08-2012, 06:04 PM
I remembering hearing the same thing after the '08 Finals, when it was still 4-3 Duncan.

tee, hee.

Hey, you got your purple and bold.

Leetonidas
02-08-2012, 06:21 PM
What is Rondo going to do for this team? He's an upgrade over Fisher for sure but he's not worth losing Gasol, especially when Kobe dominates the ball and Rondo can't shoot for shit, which is one of the Lakeshow's problems isn't it?

Killakobe81
02-08-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm just waiting for the next Boston headline:

"Ainge floats Rondo trade offer for sesame seed bagel with cream cheese"

with great quotes like

"Look, if you can make a trade for a bagel, and not just a bagel but a bagel with some schmear on it, and you're a hungry team, or a hungry person for that matter because you missed breakfast, well, you can't pass up a chance to look at that deal."

LOL good, shit Lngrr ...:toast

Like I said, I just dont get all the rondo trade rumors ...Doc clearing the way for his son?

baseline bum
02-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Austin ain't no point guard.

pass1st
02-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Rondo did the upside down headband shit because the logo is Jerry West, a Laker. Rondo would never cooperate in LAL, any LAL fan would be against a trade like that for that fact alone

baseline bum
02-08-2012, 09:26 PM
You all cheered for Malone's ass after he was afraid of getting buttsexed by Magic on the floor, so you'll cheer for Rondo too.

Killakobe81
02-08-2012, 10:28 PM
You all cheered for Malone's ass after he was afraid of getting buttsexed by Magic on the floor, so you'll cheer for Rondo too.

Nope I never really cheered for Rodman or Malone. I admit I did appreciate his passing skills and BBall IQ, but I dont like every player that dons a Laker uniform. At the end I dint care much for Shaq either, not that I took his side in the Kobe/shaq thing I just hated the fact he allowed himself to get fat ...

LkrFan
02-08-2012, 10:43 PM
I dunno...because you never trade a big for a small. That being said, if the Lakers can get back an upgrade at PF over McBob/Murph, then I strongly consider it if I'm Mitch. Today's NBA is dominated by perimeter players and right now our perimeter defense sucks. We have twin towers that are always in danger of foul trouble due to our perimeter ineptness on the defensive end.

One the one hand...Kobe/Rondo would be a dynamic backcourt. Gone would be the days of watching PGs take turns shitting on Fisher on a nightly basis. Rondo is #2 assist man in the leauge - so that would help scrubs like Barnes, Ebanks, etc., get easier buckets which improves our offense. We know Rondo can't shoot, but be can dish and play D with that long wingspan of his. Rondo also can be a one man fastbreak. We would get easier buckets - which again helps our anemic offense (thanks MB).

On the other hand... The big issue is, what happens if Baby Drew goes down again? Pau is at least a more than adequate back up at Center. The Lakers would be taking a huge gamble on Bynum's health.

Rondo (age 25) and Bynum (age 24) would solidify two of the most important positions in basketball for at least the next 7-8 years: PG/C. LA is always a good place for FAs to flock to when their FO isn't being cheap. All in all, I think I would do this deal. We would have all star players at PG/SG/C. Not many teams can say that. It would be interesting to see what happens to Kobe's shooting %'s if he were not the defacto PG along with his duties at SG. Rondo potentially could have as big an impact as CP3 would have next to Kobe. Rondo is a way better defender and is currently out-assisting him as well. Time will tell if two true rivals trade with one another. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

midnightpulp
02-08-2012, 10:47 PM
I dunno...because you never trade a big for a small. That being said, if the Lakers can get back an upgrade at PF over McBob/Murph, then I strongly consider it if I'm Mitch. Today's NBA is dominated by perimeter players and right now our perimeter defense sucks. We have twin towers that are always in danger of foul trouble due to our perimeter ineptness on the defensive end.

One the one hand...Kobe/Rondo would be a dynamic backcourt. Gone would be the days of watching PGs take turns shitting on Fisher on a nightly basis. Rondo is #2 assist man in the leauge - so that would help scrubs like Barnes, Ebanks, etc., get easier buckets which improves our offense. We know Rondo can't shoot, but be can dish and play D with that long wingspan of his. Rondo also can be a one man fastbreak. We would get easier buckets - which again helps our anemic offense (thanks MB).

On the other hand... The big issue is, what happens if Baby Drew goes down again? Pau is at least a more than adequate back up at Center. The Lakers would be taking a huge gamble on Bynum's health.

Rondo (age 25) and Bynum (age 24) would solidify two of the most important positions in basketball for at least the next 7-8 years: PG/C. LA is always a good place for FAs to flock to when their FO isn't being cheap. All in all, I think I would do this deal. We would have all star players at PG/SG/C. Not many teams can say that. It would be interesting to see what happens to Kobe's shooting %'s if he were not the defacto PG along with his duties at SG. Rondo potentially could have as big an impact as CP3 would have next to Kobe. Rondo is a way better defender and is currently out-assisting him as well. Time will tell if two true rivals trade with one another. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Stay the same.

LkrFan
02-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Stay the same.
I doubt it. We have never seen Kobe play with a true PG, so how could you deduce that his shooting percentages would not increase? Look at any Laker game - even back when Shaq was patrolling the paint - the Lakers would pound the rock for 15-23 seconds, then pass to Kobe and ask him to do something. Shooting those off balanced shots against triple teams will most certainly hurt his shooting %'s - as we have seen. Kobe has very good range on his jumper - probably top 5 in the league - easily. But since he has gotten away with shooting impossible jumpers throughout most of his career, it's like a blessing and a curse.

In theory, a true PG would organize the offensive sets and minimize Kobe's "bailout" shots which would lead to a boost in his shooting %'s. Besides, Fisher does not set Kobe up with easy shots on a regular basis. A true PG like Rondo, at least in theory, would.

Another benefit of having Rondo with the Lake Show: Kobe doesn't have to guard whoever is torching Fisher. It's gotta be hard on him to give us 30+ and guard Fisher's man. He's done that for 15+ years. It's time for him to get a break from that shit. Come on down Rondo! :lol

baseline bum
02-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Honestly, the trade LA should make with Boston is Brown for Rivers.

Killakobe81
02-08-2012, 11:03 PM
How tall is Austin rivers? He is on fire tonight making daddy proud ...

baseline bum
02-08-2012, 11:06 PM
6'3"? He was destroying Barnes early on.

baseline bum
02-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Ah, there was the Kobe part of the scouting report I read on Barnes so long. :lol

baseline bum
02-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Det African-American Rivers sticks the game-winner at the buzzer at Chapel Hill!

midnightpulp
02-08-2012, 11:14 PM
I doubt it. We have never seen Kobe play with a true PG, so how could you deduce that his shooting percentages would not increase? Look at any Laker game - even back when Shaq was patrolling the paint - the Lakers would pound the rock for 15-23 seconds, then pass to Kobe and ask him to do something. Shooting those off balanced shots against triple teams will most certainly hurt his shooting %'s - as we have seen. Kobe has very good range on his jumper - probably top 5 in the league - easily. But since he has gotten away with shooting impossible jumpers throughout most of his career, it's like a blessing and a curse.

In theory, a true PG would organize the offensive sets and minimize Kobe's "bailout" shots which would lead to a boost in his shooting %'s. Besides, Fisher does not set Kobe up with easy shots on a regular basis. A true PG like Rondo, at least in theory, would.

Another benefit of having Rondo with the Lake Show: Kobe doesn't have to guard whoever is torching Fisher. It's gotta be hard on him to give us 30+ and guard Fisher's man. He's done that for 15+ years. It's time for him to get a break from that shit. Come on down Rondo! :lol

The reason you never seen Kobe play with a true PG is because a ball-dominant, playmaking PG would be superfluous in the triangle, likely doing more harm than good. In Brown's system (whatever the hell that even is), Kobe might or might not benefit. Since Kobe's is so used to dominating the ball and playing the defacto point guard role, he might not mesh well with a traditional PG. If the Lakers do indeed shop around Gasol, it shouldn't be a straight up trade for a star PG, but for a capable, defensive minded PG who can spread the floor (someone like Chalmers), or even a hybrid PG/SG (like former Spur George Hill) and a couple of young, athletic wing players.

Killakobe81
02-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Told ya, Rivers in Celts Green.

Freaking UNC pathetic freaking loss ...

LkrFan
02-09-2012, 01:33 AM
The reason you never seen Kobe play with a true PG is because a ball-dominant, playmaking PG would be superfluous in the triangle, likely doing more harm than good. In Brown's system (whatever the hell that even is), Kobe might or might not benefit. Since Kobe's is so used to dominating the ball and playing the defacto point guard role, he might not mesh well with a traditional PG. If the Lakers do indeed shop around Gasol, it shouldn't be a straight up trade for a star PG, but for a capable, defensive minded PG who can spread the floor (someone like Chalmers), or even a hybrid PG/SG (like former Spur George Hill) and a couple of young, athletic wing players.

I agree, we don't need a star at PG. I would actually settle for Ramon Sessions, tbh. He can dish, good finisher, and a pretty decent defender.

Edit: he just dropped 24/13 on CP3 :wow. Do it Mitch! :lol

NewcastleKEG
02-09-2012, 02:12 AM
Told ya, Rivers in Celts Green.

Freaking UNC pathetic freaking loss ...
That's the GREATNESS of Coach K

Banzai
02-09-2012, 02:55 AM
Trade will not happen..quote this for later reference.

baseline bum
02-09-2012, 04:16 AM
Trade will not happen..quote this for later reference.

But when are you getting a fucking coach? No way a team with Gasol, Bryant, and Bynum should ever be averaging 93PPG.

Banzai
02-09-2012, 11:49 AM
But when are you getting a fucking coach? No way a team with Gasol, Bryant, and Bynum should ever be averaging 93PPG.

Tbh I don't know. If the lakers actually got production from the bench..they'd probably reach 100.