PDA

View Full Version : Spurs / Sixers thawts

cantthinkofanything
02-08-2012, 02:13 PM
I've seen the Sixers a few times this year and when they're on, they look almost unbeatable. However, they have long stretches in games where they are dreadful. But the energy is always high and they're loaded with good athletes.

This is not a game where I want to see Bonner or Blair with extended minutes.

If his standard game plan starts to fall apart, will Pop let the young guys go at it with the Sixers?

Is anyone looking at this as a benchmark game for the Spurs?

TDMVPDPOY
02-08-2012, 02:18 PM
they had easy schedule man, beatin elite teams on b2b or b2b2b

play against shit hole eastern teams padding wins, nothing new here

the splitter will put these clowns in their rightful place after its all said and done

bklynspursfan
02-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Some sixer fans seem awfully confident:

Re: Game Thread Spurs Vs. Sixers @ 7PM ET 02/07/2012
by Kova on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:37 am
I think we will run them out of the building! they are too slow and too old for us.. GO SIXERS!

Re: Game Thread Spurs Vs. Sixers @ 7PM ET 02/08/2012
by underpressure on Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:09 am
If I recall it right, the Spurs have the worst road record against the 76ers of all Eastern teams since 2000 or so. This is quite remarkable. Given that we match up very well against the Spurs and are riding on a great streak, I am very optimistic that we end up with a win. They cannot match up our athleticism and we have the players to contain Parker. Still, should be interesting if we have a slight let down after such an emotional win.

Mel_13
02-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Better Spurs teams have had little success against lesser Sixer teams. Good night to limit Tim and Tony's minutes.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&year_min=2003&year_max=&team_id=SAS&opp_id=PHI&is_playoffs=N&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=R&game_result=&is_overtime=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=date_game

FromWayDowntown
02-08-2012, 02:31 PM
If history (from last year, at least) says anything about this game, I'd expect a slog for the Spurs.

Last year, they were 0-4 in games that Violet Palmer officiated and 2-4 in games that Danny Crawford officiated -- those were the only two officials in the league that the 61-win Spurs had losing records with. Both are calling tonight's game.

Interestingly, they called last year's game in Philadelphia together, which might well have been the Spurs worst offensive game of last season. In losing 77-71 in Philly last year, the Spurs shot a season-low 33% from the floor.

And the Spurs had 3 of their 7 worst shooting games of 2010-11 (and 2 of the 3 worst) in games that Palmer called. Along with the 33% stinker in Philly, they shot 36% in a loss at the Clippers last year, and they shot 39% in a loss at home to New Orleans.

Not arguing for or even implying causation; I just thought the numbers were interesting.

cantthinkofanything
02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Better Spurs teams have had little success against lesser Sixer teams. Good night to limit Tim and Tony's minutes.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=game&year_min=2003&year_max=&team_id=SAS&opp_id=PHI&is_playoffs=N&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=R&game_result=&is_overtime=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=date_game

Sometimes statistics just happen. These are different teams anyway. But I agree this might be a good game to let the young guys go at it. But I'd like to at least see if TD can continue his recent good play.

Mel_13
02-08-2012, 02:33 PM
If history (from last year, at least) says anything about this game, I'd expect a slog for the Spurs.

Last year, they were 0-4 in games that Violet Palmer officiated and 2-4 in games that Danny Crawford officiated -- those were the only two officials in the league that the 61-win Spurs had losing records with. Both are calling tonight's game.

Interestingly, they called last year's game in Philadelphia together, which might well have been the Spurs worst offensive game of last season. In losing 77-71 in Philly last year, the Spurs shot a season-low 33% from the floor.

And the Spurs had their three worst shooting games of 2010-11 in games that Palmer called. Along with the 33% stinker in Philly, they shot 36% in a loss at the Clippers last year, and they shot 39% in a loss at home to New Orleans.

Not arguing for or even implying causation; I just thought the numbers were interesting.

Forget limiting Tim and Tony's minutes, just give them the night off.

jjktkk
02-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Philly is a pretty good team. They are athletic, they play good d, and are well coached. With the Spurs having struggled winning at Philly in recent seasons, a win tonight would be pretty impressive imo. So yes, I would consider this a benchmark game.

Robz4000
02-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Not expecting a win, and no one on here should. However, if they pull a win out of Phili tonight, I'd be more ready to believe this team is the best in the west.

cantthinkofanything
02-08-2012, 02:44 PM
Not expecting a win, and no one on here should. However, if they pull a win out of Phili tonight, I'd be more ready to believe this team is the best in the west.

I like their chances tonight. TD's playing well, Splitter is making an impact, the bench looks good. I'm looking forward to watching this one.

Robz4000
02-08-2012, 04:00 PM
I like their chances tonight. TD's playing well, Splitter is making an impact, the bench looks good. I'm looking forward to watching this one.
Looking forward to watching it too, but only to see the younger players play. If they can keep this game close, I'll be happy.

DesignatedT
02-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Philly is for real guys. We're playing well also so I could see it being a close game but this team is nothing like the 76ers of the past. These guys can ball and will be one of the 4 teams standing in the east when it's all said and done.

Russ
02-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Is anyone looking at this as a benchmark game for the spurs?

Huge Test! :flag:

YoMamaIsCallin
02-08-2012, 04:59 PM
If Brand is out that puts a big hole in their middle.

The Spurs have had a tough go in Philly the last few years. I expect another tough one. We'll see if the Spurs bring the energy and defense like they did in the last 2 games. If so they have a decent shot at taking this one. If not.... well.... another road loss.

boutons_deux
02-08-2012, 05:00 PM
Is Doug Collins the cause?

All 5 starters with 9+ PPG, balanced offense, lowest OPP PPG, and biggest points differential.

cantthinkofanything
02-08-2012, 05:01 PM
I have no sympathy this year for injuries with Manu being out.

YoMamaIsCallin
02-08-2012, 05:02 PM
I have no sympathy this year for injuries with Manu being out.

It's not a question of sympathy, it's just part of analyzing the game tonight.

cantthinkofanything
02-08-2012, 05:16 PM
It's not a question of sympathy, it's just part of analyzing the game tonight.

Got it. Just not putting much in Brand.

YoMamaIsCallin
02-08-2012, 05:34 PM
not following you... you mean you expect him to play? or that him being out won't hurt the team that much? I would tend to agree with the first and disagree with the second.

therealtruth
02-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Is it possible to trade Pop for Doug Collins. Seriously he's really maximizing the talent on that team. It seems he's learned alot from his previous coaching experiences and broadcasting.

cantthinkofanything
02-08-2012, 09:49 PM
i'd trade Pop for the Shark at this point

SequSpur
02-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Wtf is a thWat?