PDA

View Full Version : Racism

Darth_Pelican
02-08-2012, 03:59 PM
:cry:cry:cry:cry:cry

Pittsburgh basketball game marred by horrible racist banana suited monkey chants

By Cameron Smith (http://sports.yahoo.com/author/cameron-smith/)

Vile racism raised its ugly head during a boys basketball game near Pittsburgh on Friday when fans of a nearly all-white suburban school ran on the court in banana suits and made monkey noises to taunt the players for their rivals, who play for a school which is predominantly African-American.
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/lkX1IN9OPzXcrst02_cp4w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptuspreprally/Pittsburgh-Brentwood-High-School-BrentwoodPGH.K12.Pa_.Us_.jpg (http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptuspreprally/Pittsburgh-Brentwood-High-School-BrentwoodPGH.K12.Pa_.Us_.jpg)Pittsburgh Brentwood High School — BrentwoodPGH.K12.Pa.Us
As reported by a variety of Pittsburgh media outlets, the Monessen Valley Independent and WPXI prominent among them, the annual basketball rivalry game between Pittsburgh (Pa.) Brentwood High and Monessen (Pa.) High turned extremely ugly when the two teams tried to head to their respective locker rooms for halftime. Before the players could leave the floor, three fans from the visiting Brentwood student section ran onto the court in full-body banana suits (http://www.wpxi.com/videos/news/upset-fans-say-racial-slurs-were-yelled-during/vF2Cp/).
The fans surrounded the Monessen players and allegedly began making monkey noises and hurling racial epithets at the Monessen players, with no one entering the fray to stop the horribly inappropriate catcalls (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyindependent/sports/s_780275.html).

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/P9lnEbjs24j2vrVVHUYF9Q--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptuspreprally/The-Brentwood-boys-basketball-team-BeRecruited.jpg (http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptuspreprally/The-Brentwood-boys-basketball-team-BeRecruited.jpg)The Brentwood boys basketball team — BeRecruited

"I was appalled and shocked," Monessen parent Terri Payne told WPXI. "I was like, 'I can't believe they're doing that, and they didn't do anything about it.'"
Disturbingly, other Monessen parents claim that the Brentwood players hurled similar racist epithets themselves (http://www.wpxi.com/videos/news/upset-fans-say-racial-slurs-were-yelled-during/vF2Cp/), calling the Greyhounds "monkeys and cotton pickers," as one Monessen fan told WPXI.
Meanwhile, Valley Independent staff writer Jeremy Sellew claimed that Brentwood Director of Security Joseph Kozarian, who was on duty at the game, refused to intervene, instead sitting back and at one point smiling and laughing with the Brentwood fans in the stands (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyindependent/sports/s_780275.html).

As more media attention has swirled around the disgusting incident, Brentwood officials have scrambled to try and alleviate pressure on the school and district as a whole. As of Tuesday the three students involved had been identified and disciplined, though their punishment was not disclosed to the media. Similarly, officials claimed they were "reviewing school policy to make sure a similar incident doesn't happen again."
Clearly, that's not strong enough. If the banana suit incident and subsequent racist abuse from Brentwood players occurred as numerous witnesses claim it did, the entire Brentwood season should be put under much deeper inspection before moving forward.
This is legitimate hate speech, after all, and the teenagers who were responsible need to realize just how damaging that is, both to their victims, themselves and society as a whole. At the very least, any players who made racist comments during the game itself should be punished significantly.

Fpoonsie
02-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Lulz. Who says "cotton pickers" anymore???

mavs>spurs
02-08-2012, 04:07 PM
must have been some prissy rich black kid academy or some fists would have been thrown, tbh

jjktkk
02-08-2012, 04:12 PM
must have been some prissy rich black kid academy or some fists would have been thrown, tbh

Good point. Was suprised that I didn't read that there was no retaliation, so your point might have some truth to it.

cantthinkofanything
02-08-2012, 04:20 PM
Lulz. Who says "cotton pickers" anymore???

It's fucked up. 7 or 8 years ago, we went to see my stepson in an elementary school musical in East Texas and one of the songs they did was "jump down turn around pick a bale of cotton." All feigned racism aside, we were shocked.

spurs_fan_in_exile
02-08-2012, 04:23 PM
Strange. Would have expected some kind serious beatdown for those three. My first thought was they had school personnel that were on the ball and restrained the kids but that leaves me wondering how they didn't stop the ones in the banana costumes in the first place.

cantthinkofanything
02-08-2012, 04:27 PM
No, they weren't wearing bananna costumes. It was just the song choice we questioned.

Reck
02-08-2012, 05:07 PM
Good point. Was suprised that I didn't read that there was no retaliation, so your point might have some truth to it.

Not really. Had they retaliated in violence, they would have proven the dumbfucks point.

Cant believe this stuff still goes on so blatantly.

cantthinkofanything
02-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Not really. Had they retaliated in violence, they would have proven the dumbfucks point.

Cant believe this stuff still goes on so blatantly.

agreed. If whites would only walk around with their pants below their crack, asking for free shit, we'd all be united.

DeadlyDynasty
02-08-2012, 06:08 PM
crofl...I worked in the South Hills of Pitt in 2009-2010 and had many calls at that school:lol

small world

TDMVPDPOY
02-08-2012, 06:40 PM
agreed. If whites would only walk around with their pants below their crack, asking for free shit, we'd all be united.

fail

that sort of shit is not welcome, and if you get jump by red necks...u deserved it....

Latarian Milton
02-09-2012, 06:12 AM
why dont they just call us "niggas"?

ohmwrecker
02-09-2012, 09:34 AM
I don't understand why white people would even play basketball if they are racists. Wouldn't having your whole system of beliefs shattered every game be hard to reconcile?

resistanze
02-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Just stop talking about it! It'll go away!

Spur_Fanatic
02-09-2012, 12:25 PM
I don't understand why white people would even play basketball if they are racists. Wouldn't having your whole system of beliefs shattered every game be hard to reconcile?

I presume its kinda like swimming and black people. Black people are horrible swimmers. But I guess you like swimming too, right?

Or tennis.

:nope:rollin:nope

ohmwrecker
02-09-2012, 01:07 PM
I presume its kinda like swimming and black people. Black people are horrible swimmers. But I guess you like swimming too, right?

Or tennis.

:nope:rollin:nope

Not only are you incorrect, you have failed to follow simple logic and produce a solid analogy. Do us all a favor and fail to reproduce.

Spur_Fanatic
02-09-2012, 01:16 PM
It's funny, I'm following your line of thought.
So you saying black people are good swimmers and tennis players?

Spur_Fanatic
02-09-2012, 01:18 PM
If you failed to grasp my meaning, why white people should not play basketball if they are racists?

(for the record, those kids are idiots, but curious on why you said that)

ohmwrecker
02-09-2012, 01:37 PM
It's funny, I'm following your line of thought.
So you saying black people are good swimmers and tennis players?

I never mentioned swimmers or tennis players, tbh.

ohmwrecker
02-09-2012, 01:44 PM
If you failed to grasp my meaning, why white people should not play basketball if they are racists?

(for the record, those kids are idiots, but curious on why you said that)

The next time a bunch of black kids bumrush a swim meet dressed in…I don't know…pickle costumes? Calling all the kids in the pool honkeys and crackers, I will concede your point. Whatever that is…

Spur_Fanatic
02-09-2012, 01:55 PM
I was just curious on why you believed white racists should not play basketball, that's all. So I used the swimming/tennis-black-man-counter.

But if I mistook you for a "white people are the devil!" guy, my bad.

The next time a bunch of black kids bumrush a swim meet dressed in…I don't know…pickle costumes? Calling all the kids in the pool honkeys and crackers, I will concede your point. Whatever that is…

I'd go with an asparagus costume. But the black kids would have to be competing on such event too, to make sense.

ohmwrecker
02-09-2012, 02:21 PM
I was just curious on why you believed white racists should not play basketball, that's all. So I used the swimming/tennis-black-man-counter.
It should be fairly obvious, but…Why would you choose to play a sport where you compete against people you hate and will, more often than not, be dominated by? I guess you are going to come back with, "that's racist!" or some shit. Even though only a complete dumbass would disagree.

But if I mistook you for a "white people are the devil!" guy, my bad.
Some white people ARE the devil.

I'd go with an asparagus costume. But the black kids would have to be competing on such event too, to make sense.
Pickles, asparagus…it's just as stupid and arbitrary as bananas.

Spur_Fanatic
02-09-2012, 02:26 PM
It should be fairly obvious, but…Why would you choose to play a sport where you compete against people you hate and will, more often than not, be dominated by? I guess you are going to come back with, "that's racist!" or some shit. Even though only a complete dumbass would disagree.

I was asking your opinion, and I agree with it.

It's like calling me a racist because I say black people can't swim or play tennis. It's true, only a complete dumbass would disagree.
Plus, they'd get dominated and ridiculed too, because some white people hate them.

ohmwrecker
02-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Only genetic mutant Shrek looking mother fuckers like Michael Phelps are good at swimming on a highly competitive level. There are plenty of black people who are good at tennis though.

ChumpDumper
02-09-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't know where you got this tennis thing.

Spur_Fanatic
02-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Only genetic mutant Shrek looking mother fuckers like Michael Phelps are good at swimming on a highly competitive level. There are plenty of black people who are good at tennis though.

Of course there are! :tu

ohmwrecker
02-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Arthur Ashe, the Williams sisters, that ugly kid from the Bulls dad…I could go on, but I hate tennis.

Spur_Fanatic
02-09-2012, 03:02 PM
You could go on? I though of those too, and maybe a pair more. But that's it.
But I'm sure there are many black people in swimming and tennis, sure. :tu

You know, we could stop this now. Let's be realistic. I've seen more asians in swimming and tennis than black people. You are completely right, of course, in basketball. You already answered the question I presented to you, thank you for being honest about it. Since that last post I've just dragged the issue on.

Fpoonsie
02-09-2012, 03:27 PM
It's fucked up. 7 or 8 years ago, we went to see my stepson in an elementary school musical in East Texas and one of the songs they did was "jump down turn around pick a bale of cotton." All feigned racism aside, we were shocked.

:lol

Several years back, I was workin' at a dept store and a coworker of mine, this black chick, was helping this old, white lady. The coworker successfully found what this old lady was looking for, and appreciative, the ol' lady exclaimed, "Well, bless your cotton-pickin' heart." Initially, I thought nothing of it -- my grandma had said things like that to me for as long as I could remember -- but my coworker just stared at the lady as she walked away, head cocked to the side and a look of shock on her face. After a few minutes, it registered...and I couldn't stop laughing.

ohmwrecker
02-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Why swim when you are better at basketball and it pays so much more? The only $$ in swimming is in endorsements and you have to win 11 gold medals to get that tap to run
I can't think of any Asian tennis players or swimmers, btw.

ohmwrecker
02-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Most people can swim well enough to not die I imagine.