PDA

View Full Version : Green starting over Leonard?

Russo21
02-08-2012, 08:57 PM
Way to mess with our rookies head, coach.

Why has Leonard been sent to the bench when he was going allright as a starter? Sure he had his ups and downs but all rookies do unless your name is tim duncan who was as consistent as gravity.

We all know the only starting lineup change we should have done is Blair for Tiago. I don't want Pop screwing with another rookie's head grrr. :bang

Russo21
02-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Splitter
Duncan
Leonard
RJ soon to be Manu
Parker

Move Green and Blair to the bench where they belong now ffs and stop changing shit.

DesignatedT
02-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Neal has been starting over Leonard in games as well. Everybodys head is fine.

TDMVPDPOY
02-08-2012, 09:03 PM
too passive on offense when his with the starters, maybe because the starters are takin up too m uch of the offensive opportunities...

his better off playin with the bench who dont have a ball dominant player looking to get theirs, but more better ball movement looking for the open man instead of forcing up shots....the bench looks set to me...

Russo21
02-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Just a bit of consistency goes a long way in my humble oppinion.

Russo21
02-08-2012, 09:06 PM
You happy with

Blair
Duncan
RJ
Neal
Parker

??

Neal is doing great tonight :-) but id love Splitter and Leonard in the starting lineup to make us a defensive frontcourt from the get go. Blair and RJ certaintly isnt a defensive frontcourt.

Russo21
02-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Green has been ice cold from the field lately also in the starting lineup. He was doing great from the bench.

Russo21
02-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Green and Jefferson, our two starters, are a combined 0-9 FG. With only 1 block and no steals between them....

HarlemHeat37
02-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Green is the most overrated player on this roster, by both the fans and the coaching staff, tbh..

His shot is streaky, his defense is average and inconsistent, he makes bad decisions..he's a good passer and rebounder, plays with energy..overall, he's a good 9th or 10th man IMO..

jesterbobman
02-08-2012, 09:14 PM
I think it's probably just offensive spacing. TP/Kawhi/RJ/Blair/TD gives you 1 good perimeter threat, While the bench with Neal/Green/Bonner/Splitter has 3, plus whoever is the extra guy with them. Just balance that out a bit.

ThaBigFundamental21
02-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Way to mess with our rookies head, coach.

Why has Leonard been sent to the bench when he was going allright as a starter? Sure he had his ups and downs but all rookies do unless your name is tim duncan who was as consistent as gravity.

We all know the only starting lineup change we should have done is Blair for Tiago. I don't want Pop screwing with another rookie's head grrr. :bang

If we were 40 games into our 66 game season you might have a point. But Pop is going to experiment and he already made that clear. Quit bitching.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Green is the most overrated player on this roster, by both the fans and the coaching staff, tbh..

His shot is streaky, his defense is average and inconsistent, he makes bad decisions..he's a good passer and rebounder, plays with energy..overall, he's a good 9th or 10th man IMO..

Funny cuz last I checked he's been playing vital minutes on a team leading the toughest division in the league, and as I type this just got a clutch steal to put the nail in the Sixers.

Shot streaky? Defense average? Bad decisions? Maybe. But he's helping us win games without our best player. If he's a 9th or 10th then you're watching a different team than the rest of us.

Russo21
02-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah you're probably right jester but still...

Our starters tonight...

Green 0 points on 0-5 shooting 1 block 1 steal
Jefferson 1 point on 0-4 shooting no blocks no steals
Blair 6 points 6 rebounds on 3-7 shooting no blocks no steals

3 of our starters combines for 7 points 1 block and 1 steal? Between all 3 of them?

Bill_Brasky
02-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Funny cuz last I checked he's been playing vital minutes on a team leading the toughest division in the league, and as I type this just got a clutch steal to put the nail in the Sixers.

Shot streaky? Defense average? Bad decisions? Maybe. But he's helping us win games without our best player. If he's a 9th or 10th then you're watching a different team than the rest of us.

I smell an anti-jinx tbh

jestersmash
02-08-2012, 09:22 PM
too passive on offense when his with the starters, maybe because the starters are takin up too m uch of the offensive opportunities...

his better off playin with the bench who dont have a ball dominant player looking to get theirs, but more better ball movement looking for the open man instead of forcing up shots....the bench looks set to me...

No I'm not so sure about that. I think the main issue is that Leonard is somewhat of an offensive liability. He doesn't have a 3 point shot. He doesn't have a mid range jump shot either. He's not even particularly good driving into the lane and finishing by himself. He has great touch around the rim when he cuts to the basket off the ball, of course, but he can't really create his own shot.

I've also seen Leonard pass up a number of wide open jump shots. It's understandable given his skill set, but it's an offensive liability nonetheless.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-08-2012, 09:22 PM
They wanted Kawhi on Lou Williams off the bench. That got blown up when Jefferson defended Iggy like a girl would...again.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-08-2012, 09:24 PM
They wanted Kawhi on Lou Williams off the bench. That got blown up when Jefferson defended Iggy like a girl would...again.

this was my initial assumption as well. That would have been an interesting matchup to watch.

With Jefferson shooting worse than a cold Matt Bonner, might as well have left Leonard in there as a starter in place of RJ to get him experience

justinandimcool
02-08-2012, 09:26 PM

this. think a little harder, Spurfan. Leonard is the main starter most of the time.

jesterbobman
02-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Also, it was probably going to happen with Manu coming back anyway, just a few days early. Kawhi is probably going to be a situational starter when the other team has a great big Wing, Green is the next best option in terms of defenders whilst still giving a perimeter threat. Poor shooting the last few games, but season stats of 37% is certainly respectable.

HarlemHeat37
02-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Green is shooting 33% from the field and 27% from 3 in his last 11 games..while it may be a slump, it's also realistic that his early season shooting was an anomaly..

His value(metrics, etc) is inflated by playing on an great bench, he'll struggle by playing with the starters and against starters..

I'd rather have Bonner and Leonard starting over Blair and Green, tbh..

I actually don't mind Green starting, I'm just not as high on him as most here..Green, Neal and RJ are interchangeable, based on which player is shooting well IMO..

TDMVPDPOY
02-08-2012, 09:33 PM
atm i still start green over KL...rj should be relegated to stay at home and dont bother suiting up to any spurs meeting/game....

spurs1990
02-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Green is shooting 33% from the field and 27% from 3 in his last 11 games..while it may be a slump, it's also realistic that his early season shooting was an anomaly..

His value(metrics, etc) is inflated by playing on an great bench, he'll struggle by playing with the starters and against starters..

I'd rather have Bonner and Leonard starting over Blair and Green, tbh..

I actually don't mind Green starting, I'm just not as high on him as most here..Green, Neal and RJ are interchangeable, based on which player is shooting well IMO..

I'm not sure your critique is accurate on Green. Pop is playing him every game down the stretch. He's obviously earning his way on the court. This coach doesn't give minutes away.

HarlemHeat37
02-08-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm not sure your critique is accurate on Green. Pop is playing him every game down the stretch. He's obviously earning his way on the court. This coach doesn't give minutes away.

:lol..

SequSpur
02-08-2012, 09:49 PM
It's not whether you win or lose but how you play the game...Fo

timvp
02-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Pop has been bringing Leonard off the bench against teams that don't have an ace perimeter scorer in their starting lineup. Nothing new.

TDMVPDPOY
02-08-2012, 09:53 PM
green is streaky, but he usually offsets his mistakes with a correction on the next play...

SpurNation
02-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Pop has been bringing Leonard off the bench against teams that don't have an ace perimeter scorer in their starting lineup. Nothing new.

Nice version of...Pay Attention To The Games.

Which is a nicer version of...( Stuart Took Frank's Underwear)

Don't get me started. I'm a quit smoking, nicotine deprived sob right now.

Get over it...SPURS WON!!!

(They say the meanness should wear off in about 2 weeks)

Spurcase
02-08-2012, 11:00 PM
I think Pop likes to try out different lineups. He wants all of them to be able to start or come off the bench come playoff time. They have to learn to be versatile. I doubt if any of them are going to get messed up by Pop changing up the lineup at times.

Em-City
02-08-2012, 11:20 PM
I think the only player so sensitive to have their feelings hurt by something like this would be Blair