PDA

View Full Version : Can Splitter play the 4?

jjktkk
02-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Can Splitter defend the 4, specifically the quick, athletic, 4s?

Brutalis
02-09-2012, 02:19 AM
http://images.paraorkut.com/img/funnypics/images/w/wtf-12871.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
02-09-2012, 04:05 AM
problem isnt splitter, its duncan the pussy

SpurNation
02-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Depends on how quick the 4 is. Dirk took him to task but don't know if that was not being mentally prepared to handle Dirk or Tiago being that slow. That plus I would think Tiago would need to improve his outside shot to warrant playing the 4 more often.

problem isnt splitter, its duncan the pussy
Seriously?

acoelho1
02-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Can Bonner or Blair play the 4?? NO!! Splitter played only 17 mins last night and Pop took him out when he was rolling. If Pop thinks this strategy is going to work in the playoffs, he will have another rude awakening. Give 40mins combined to the turd towers is not a winning strategy. I don't care how many 3's Bonner hits or points that Blair scores.

underdawg
02-09-2012, 09:55 AM
It's pretty simple:

When Duncan & Splitter play together can -
a. Duncan score - yes
b. Splitter score - yes
c. Parker score - yes

In another thread, I saw that there were many commenting with the tired line that "Bonner has to play because he spreads the floor" again and again (so what if he grabbed 9 rebounds - Leonard's grabbed more and even Green has come close).

Most teams give Bonner the 3 to sag and protect the paint. If Bonner is hitting his 3's then it does punish that defense, but teams still concede the 3 because why? They're more vulnerable to Parker or Duncan scoring in the paint.

Stay with me here - if you add another capable big in the paint with Duncan you only increase the firepower on offense. Even if Bonner is hitting his 3's, his output is still not as potent as Parker being able to drive the lane and have 2 legitimate options to get the ball if his drive is stopped. Duncan and Splitter not having a defender on them (because of the defender's help D on Parker) is much more potent than Duncan or Splitter with a defender on them one on one. This scenario is more fruitful than even optioning out to "the league's best 3 point shooter." Crazy idea, but taking shots within 10' of the rim have a higher precentage of going in.

Add to that - the Spurs defense is greatly enhanced when Splitter is on the floor with Duncan. I'm sure there are "stats" that might show differently, but logic disagrees - you protect the easy & most efficient points and those are points are the points scored in the paint. Bonner cannot put forth enough effort to be useful in protecting the paint period and end of story.

It's crazy how that whole twin tower thing worked for the Spurs to get a few rings while the whole Bonner spreads the floor has not - isn't it?

silverblk mystix
02-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Can Splitter defend the 4, specifically the quick, athletic, 4s?

I bet Splitter is actually quicker than Bonner...

BRs.Ganso
02-09-2012, 10:36 AM
he don't have jump shot, would be way better if he had.

Mugen
02-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Defensively, yes. Tiago can guard any 4 out there better than either Blair/Bonner (even the quicker 4s like Dirk, Griffin, Love, etc.)

The bigger issue is whether him and Duncan can co-exist on the offensive end. I think they can eventually but Pop won't trust it, especially this season.

5in10
02-09-2012, 11:48 AM
The problem is that statistics show that Tiago, Tim and Blair all show better defensive stats as centers. Right now bonner is the only big man holding pfs(not centers) below the league average per.

ChumpDumper
02-09-2012, 01:12 PM
The problem is that statistics show that Tiago, Tim and Blair all show better defensive stats as centers. Right now bonner is the only big man holding pfs(not centers) below the league average per.Well, stats are not to be believed when you don't want to believe them.

TJastal
02-09-2012, 01:17 PM
So how many minutes has Splitter played @ the 4 just curious? Can't be much. Extremely small sample size I'm guessing.

I'd trust Splitter's defense over Bonner's any day of the week, I don't care what position it is.

ChumpDumper
02-09-2012, 01:18 PM
See what I mean?

smrattler
02-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Did you see Splitter try that bank shot from ten feet on the wing yesterday?

I felt my windows rattle back in San Antonio.

TJastal
02-09-2012, 01:23 PM
Did you see Splitter try that bank shot from ten feet on the wing yesterday?

I felt my windows rattle back in San Antonio.

Can't be any worse than Blair's outside jumper.

5in10
02-09-2012, 01:34 PM
Als

5in10
02-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Another interesting stat is that when tiago has played over 25 minutes a game we have only won one of those games and it was against the grizzlies in our first game.

TJastal
02-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Another interesting stat is that when tiago has played over 25 minutes a game we have only won one of those games and it was against the grizzlies in our first game.

Interesting how? All it shows is that Blair's shitty play in those games led to huge defecits that Pop expected Tiago to dig out of. Remember last year's playoffs? Yah, I do. He played big minutes trying to dig the spurs out of those holes too. And if Pop doesn't pull his head out of his ass soon we'll be once again watching Splitter log 25+ again in futile causes. Deja vu at its best.

jjktkk
02-09-2012, 03:17 PM
It's pretty simple:

a. Duncan score - yes
b. Splitter score - yes
c. Parker score - yes

In another thread, I saw that there were many commenting with the tired line that "Bonner has to play because he spreads the floor" again and again (so what if he grabbed 9 rebounds - Leonard's grabbed more and even Green has come close).

Most teams give Bonner the 3 to sag and protect the paint. If Bonner is hitting his 3's then it does punish that defense, but teams still concede the 3 because why? They're more vulnerable to Parker or Duncan scoring in the paint.

Stay with me here - if you add another capable big in the paint with Duncan you only increase the firepower on offense. Even if Bonner is hitting his 3's, his output is still not as potent as Parker being able to drive the lane and have 2 legitimate options to get the ball if his drive is stopped. Duncan and Splitter not having a defender on them (because of the defender's help D on Parker) is much more potent than Duncan or Splitter with a defender on them one on one. This scenario is more fruitful than even optioning out to "the league's best 3 point shooter." Crazy idea, but taking shots within 10' of the rim have a higher precentage of going in.

Add to that - the Spurs defense is greatly enhanced when Splitter is on the floor with Duncan. I'm sure there are "stats" that might show differently, but logic disagrees - you protect the easy & most efficient points and those are points are the points scored in the paint. Bonner cannot put forth enough effort to be useful in protecting the paint period and end of story.

It's crazy how that whole twin tower thing worked for the Spurs to get a few rings while the whole Bonner spreads the floor has not - isn't it?

Crazy that Tim was in his prime back then, and David was quick and athletic enough to defend guards?

jjktkk
02-09-2012, 03:21 PM
I bet Splitter is actually quicker than Bonner...

:wow, I didn't think you could actually discuss a basketball topic. :tu

silverblk mystix
02-09-2012, 03:22 PM
:wow, I didn't think you could actually discuss a basketball topic. :tu

see what happens when you think?

jjktkk
02-09-2012, 03:25 PM
see what happens when you think?

Its really not hard tbh. But I guess continously posting "Pop's an Idiot" doesn't take a whole lot of creativity either.

silverblk mystix
02-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Its really not hard tbh. But I guess continously posting "Pop's an Idiot" doesn't take a whole lot of creativity either.

You want creativity too?

therealtruth
02-09-2012, 05:31 PM
It's pretty simple:

a. Duncan score - yes
b. Splitter score - yes
c. Parker score - yes

As efficient as 3's are scoring baskets in the paint and drawing fouls is even more efficient. Not only do you score but you increase the risk of getting the opponents star players in foul trouble. That can really change the complexion of a game.

therealtruth
02-09-2012, 05:33 PM
he don't have jump shot, would be way better if he had.

I don't see why he shouldn't be able to take that free throw line jumper if necessary. He's hitting 70% on freethrows. He doesn't have to look for the shot but if it's available he can take it.

therealtruth
02-09-2012, 05:37 PM
Defensively, yes. Tiago can guard any 4 out there better than either Blair/Bonner (even the quicker 4s like Dirk, Griffin, Love, etc.)

The bigger issue is whether him and Duncan can co-exist on the offensive end. I think they can eventually but Pop won't trust it, especially this season.

They can definitely coexist on offense. Look at Bynum/Gasol in LA. Mike Brown is using the twin towers offense from his SA days. Look at Oberto and Duncan. The last time the Spurs started someone as good as Oberto they won. Splitter is better than Oberto.

underdawg
02-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Crazy that Tim was in his prime back then, and David was quick and athletic enough to defend guards?

So, it would be preposterous to think that Tiago's in his prime and Duncan's skillset is adequate as David's on the downside of their careers?

Are you claiming that Duncan/Bonner or Tiago/Bonner is a better defensive/offensive 4 & 5 than Duncan/Tiago?

underdawg
02-09-2012, 05:49 PM
The problem is that statistics show that Tiago, Tim and Blair all show better defensive stats as centers. Right now bonner is the only big man holding pfs(not centers) below the league average per.

just curious - where did those stats come from?

5in10
02-09-2012, 06:00 PM
http://82games.com/

underdawg
02-09-2012, 06:05 PM
As efficient as 3's are scoring baskets in the paint and drawing fouls is even more efficient. Not only do you score but you increase the risk of getting the opponents star players in foul trouble. That can really change the complexion of a game.

Ah - so you're saying that points in the paint are probably more important on a consistent level than say points beyond the arc?

underdawg
02-09-2012, 06:24 PM
http://82games.com/

interesting stats - though I have a question on minutes as it shows Bonner having only 386 minutes and nba.com shows him having 546 minutes this season.

Interesting that the opponents FG% goes down when Bonner's off the court and goes up when Splitter's off the court.

jjktkk
02-09-2012, 07:14 PM
So, it would be preposterous to think that Tiago's in his prime and Duncan's skillset is adequate as David's on the downside of their careers?

Are you claiming that Duncan/Bonner or Tiago/Bonner is a better defensive/offensive 4 & 5 than Duncan/Tiago?

I'm pointing out that Duncan, in his prime, and DROB, even in his twilight years, was still a great athlete, and a dominant defender. Not sure that Duncan and Splitter can be as effective as the Spur's original twin towers. Part of that reason is the evolution of small ball, that alot of teams use. Now if teams employ traditional lineups, for ex., the Lakers, I'm almost positive that Duncan and Splitter can matchup effectively against them, but OTOH, teams like the Sixers, who throw out smallball lineups, are a cause of concern for me, just because we haven't seen alot of Duncan and Splitter on the floor together guarding small ball lineups. Which the reason I started this thread.

BackHome
02-09-2012, 10:38 PM
When Manu comes back I would like to see one game were Splitter and Duncan play major minutes together to see what happens.

Spursfan4lyfe
02-09-2012, 10:44 PM
When Manu comes back I would like to see one game were Splitter and Duncan play major minutes together to see what happens.
What happens with the the 2nd unit if Splitter starts they would get killed in the paint when him and Duncan go out. Until they can find a big besides Duncan and Splitter who can defended the Rim and Rebound it is not going to happen Bonner can't do that and Blair is just a body.

underdawg
02-09-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm pointing out that Duncan, in his prime, and DROB, even in his twilight years, was still a great athlete, and a dominant defender. Not sure that Duncan and Splitter can be as effective as the Spur's original twin towers. Part of that reason is the evolution of small ball, that alot of teams use. Now if teams employ traditional lineups, for ex., the Lakers, I'm almost positive that Duncan and Splitter can matchup effectively against them, but OTOH, teams like the Sixers, who throw out smallball lineups, are a cause of concern for me, just because we haven't seen alot of Duncan and Splitter on the floor together guarding small ball lineups. Which the reason I started this thread.

if those teams have a player like thaddeus, the spurs are in trouble then. Though I think tiago is more athletic than some folks give him credit. Quick players have always given the spurs trouble, but having 2 capable defenders protecting the paint is a cushion to that.

also, think about this - there should be no doubt that the spurs are competitive right now even without manu because of their defense. As the spurs big 3 have aged, they have failed to beat teams in the playoffs because they are no match for the opponents defense or they're not consistent enough on offense. They've had no defense to cushion those obstacles. I also believe that tiago will perform under pressure and that will be huge - might as well give him that experience now as bonner's performance can be concluded to be predictable give his history.