PDA

View Full Version : Obamba: I'm going after Romney, not Wall Street

elbamba
02-09-2012, 10:05 AM
President Obama has message for Wall St. — I will not demonize you, just Mitt Romney and his ties to you.

That assurance was conveyed by Obama’s campaign manager Jim Messina in a private meeting with nervous Democratic donors from the financial services industry, Bloomberg News reported Tuesday.

Messina met with some of Obama’s biggest backers this week at the members only Core Club in Manhattan, where he was questioned about the increasingly populist tone of the President’s reelection campaign.

The campaign chief responded that Mitt Romney was the target — not the private equity industry that enriched the former Massachusetts governor, two people who were at the meeting told the news wire.

Obama has yet to directly attack Romney, the struggling GOP front runner.

But he has indicated that economic fairness for middle class Americans and raising taxes on rich people like Romney are central themes of his campaign.

Also, look for the Obama campaign to zero in on Romney’s role at the Boston-based private equity firm Bain Capital.

Romney’s Republican rivals, notably Newt Gingrich, have already ripped Bain as a shark-like outfit that made Mitt millions by buying up struggling companies — and firing legions of workers to improve their bottom lines.

Those attacks have been drawn blood because Romney has been running as a savvy businessman and self-proclaimed “job creator” on the campaign trail.

During his first presidential run, Obama got millions from many Wall Streeters.

But when Obama began pushing reforms aimed at regulating the industries reponsible for plunging the nation into a recession, Romney began receiving the lion’s share of campaign donations from the financial services sector.

[email protected]

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/obama-i-m-romney-wall-street-article-1.1019256#ixzz1ltgm02qY