PDA

View Full Version : Lakers to retire Shaq's Jersey next season

Muser
02-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Didn't see this posted.

The plan is finally starting to come together.

In the immediate aftermath of Shaquille O'Neal's retirement back in June 2011, the Los Angeles Lakers announced that the franchise would retire his No. 34 jersey.
At the time, a team spokesperson said there was no timetable for when the ceremony would take place.

NBA.com reports on Thursday that the Lakers are expected to retire O'Neal's jersey during the 2012-2013 season, citing the rushed lockout schedule as the reason why the ceremony didn't take place this year.

O'Neal paired with Lakers guard Kobe Bryant to win three titles for the franchise. His time with the Lakers is generally regarded as the high point of his career, making the jersey retirement decision a no-brainer.

Lakers owner Jerry Buss issued a statement of appreciation for O'Neal last summer.

"Shaq had a long and amazing career," Buss' statement read. "A huge impact both on and off the court. His contributions were significant to the entire NBA, but we specifically appreciate what he did with and what he meant to the Lakers during his eight years with us. We have three championships that we wouldn’t have won without him, and we will forever be grateful for his significant contributions to those teams."

Earlier this week, Bryant passed O'Neal to move into fifth place on the NBA's all-time scoring list. O'Neal graciously congratulated Bryant on the achievement, calling him, "the greatest Laker ever."

O'Neal is currently serving as an NBA commentator for TNT.

The Lakers have only retired the jerseys of seven players to date. All seven are members of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/34771445

pass1st
02-09-2012, 03:02 PM
I didn't think it would happen, even though he was the biggest reason in bring back LAL after showtime

lefty
02-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Kobe will score 95 pts that night just to prove something

Giuseppe
02-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Kobe & the old man have fed Daddy enough shit.

- "Come on, son, come on up out of that hole."

- Strother Martin - "Cool Hand Luke"

Rummpd
02-09-2012, 03:41 PM
They will need an extra wide rafter but congrats to him.

Dex
02-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Not a huge Shaq fan, but if you bring a three-peat to your town (and four Finals appearances), you deserve to have your jersey retired.

BlackSwordsMan
02-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Gave the laker 3 rings and kept his silence about kobe's mistresses he should be retired there

Killakobe81
02-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Not a huge Shaq fan, but if you bring a three-peat to your town (and four Finals appearances), you deserve to have your jersey retired.

This exactly. Was never a huge fan of his either, but I respect what he did for the team ...and If I was in los Anagels i would attend. I HAVE to find a way to get to Kobe's as well. I still have my ticket from Magic's that one was incredibly sad ...because HIV was considered a death sentence at the time. It felt as though we were saying "good-bye" ...

Killakobe81
02-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Gave the laker 3 rings and kept his silence about kobe's mistresses he should be retired there

Kobe doesnt have mistresses, he just bangs random hotel emloyees.

It's his religon.

bus driver
02-09-2012, 04:24 PM
too bad the world will end this year.....

BlackSwordsMan
02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
Kobe doesnt have mistresses, he just bangs random hotel emloyees.

It's his religon.

Please.

Latarian Milton
02-10-2012, 08:08 AM
hey rockets fans when are you gonna hang da 7'6 jersey beneath the roof @ toyota center?

Frenzy
02-10-2012, 09:55 AM
This exactly. Was never a huge fan of his either, but I respect what he did for the team ...and If I was in los Anagels i would attend. I HAVE to find a way to get to Kobe's as well. I still have my ticket from Magic's that one was incredibly sad ...because HIV was considered a death sentence at the time. It felt as though we were saying "good-bye" ...

Dam seeing one of your favs on a team retire after so long is depressing enough...must have been an experience.