PDA

View Full Version : Can Blair Improve or Has He Already Shown Us Everything?

Calispursfan11
02-09-2012, 11:57 PM
Blair's still pretty young, but I get this feeling that he just isn't going to get much better. It's not like he's going to grow taller, which is his major problem, but we've seen more success from other smallish bigs who are thick, Malik Rose, Millsap, Larry Johnson, Anthony Mason etc. So theoretically, with hard work and some talent, he can overcome his height limitations.

Still, for some reason I think Blair either doesn't have the motivation to improve or simply has already reached his full potential. Even his his biggest strength, rebounding, seems to have fallen off dramatically of late. Do you think he has the ability to become an efficient, true nightly double double threat someday and a decent defender or should we throw in the towel on this guy's future for good?

I realize there are other factors hurting his progress such as his teammates just being better at that position. For instance, Splitter being better at C probably hurts Blair's confidence. Perhaps a trade would give him the chance to flourish on a bad team?

Thoughts?

DMC
02-10-2012, 12:01 AM
Of course he can improve. Remember there was no real training camp this season. Anyone who watched an early season rookie Blair saw that he did a lot of things wrong. He still does a lot of things wrong, but you can see his adjustments and they have paid off. When he finally gets all that together he could be a force, but I don't know if he will. The NBA has seen it's share of "should be" guys come and go.

His height isn't his problem. His problem is his mental lapses on defense. If he were 5 inches taller, they would still be mental lapses. Hasheem Thabeet should be a prime example of that. He also has to work more on setting up to catch the ball in a spot where he can score instead of being behind the basket or too far from the rim to be effective.

He hasn't improved this year much because he hasn't had time to do so. I would give it until his 5th year in the league and judge it then.

Calispursfan11
02-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Of course he can improve. Remember there was no real training camp this season. Anyone who watched an early season rookie Blair saw that he did a lot of things wrong. He still does a lot of things wrong, but you can see his adjustments and they have paid off. When he finally gets all that together he could be a force, but I don't know if he will. The NBA has seen it's share of "should be" guys come and go.

His height isn't his problem. His problem is his mental lapses on defense. If he were 5 inches taller, they would still be mental lapses. Hasheem Thabeet should be a prime example of that.

Good point. It depends on the circumstances I guess. I'm trying to think of some of those "should be's" and am basically drawing a blank. Different position and era, but remember Harold Miner? I thought he was supposed to be a "Baby Jordan", but then he disappeared. What ever happened to him?

DMC
02-10-2012, 12:12 AM
Good point. It depends on the circumstances I guess. I'm trying to think of some of those "should be's" and am basically drawing a blank. Different position and era, but remember Harold Miner? I thought he was supposed to be a "Baby Jordan", but then he disappeared. What ever happened to him?
Harold Miner was baby Jordan because of his dunking ability, nothing else.

Surely you can think of some players who everyone said had great potential but never realized it? Think 1st overall picks, that's a good starting point.

jjktkk
02-10-2012, 12:15 AM
Unfortunately it might take Blair going to another team, before he taps into his potential.

Calispursfan11
02-10-2012, 12:17 AM
DMC - if you mean BIG guys, ok. OLAWIKANDI, Grego Oden... yada yada, but I'm not convinced they really HAD any talent to make them true "should have beens".

Calispursfan11
02-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Harold Miner was baby Jordan because of his dunking ability, nothing else.

Surely you can think of some players who everyone said had great potential but never realized it? Think 1st overall picks, that's a good starting point.

I forgot Kwame! That guy was a total BUST. What were they thinking drafting that guy?

Leetonidas
02-10-2012, 12:21 AM
Honestly I think he has plateaued. He was doing so well in his rookie season imo to prove the doubters wrong and make them feel stupid for letting him fall to 37. But that fire and the intensity he used to play with is all but gone. I don't see how a rookie can put up multiple 20/20 games and fail to do so in subsequent years once.

DMC
02-10-2012, 12:22 AM
I forgot Kwame! That guy was a total BUST. What were they thinking drafting that guy?
Hindsight is 20/20.

Don't forget the human victory cigar.

Blair should not have those high expectations. He did so well early on largely because he was an unknown. He's no longer an unknown and teams box him out. He's changed his methods a bit to avoid foul trouble and that's cost him rebounds.

therealtruth
02-10-2012, 12:24 AM
I think getting a jumpshot would help him alot.

Em-City
02-10-2012, 12:45 AM
so many times i see him miss rebounds from a front position because the guy behind him his 6 inches taller. Blair has been getting caught flat-footed, and combined with a lack of stand-still jumping ability he's being outrebounded alot on the defensive end.

Offensively, i've noticed that in situations like mini-fast breaks where he can't revert to his favourite low-post spin move, his lack of height & jumping is hindering his ability to finish in 1-on-1 situations even against SG's and SF's.

not sure how he can overcome these problems, but they are fundamental aspects of the game that you expect from a PF/C. I think his (relative) physical deficiencies make him a situational player at best.

I actually don't mind him starting for the first 5 minutes, where we can go to him for some set plays and isn't yet being bullied on defense.. just before the game tempo gets too much and he starts to find that he's in situations where he gets exposed.

DMC
02-10-2012, 12:52 AM
I think getting a jumpshot would help him alot.
Getting a good jumpshot would. Getting an ok one would hurt him probably, because he would use that instead of attacking the rim.

It's best, right now, to understand his weakness instead of trying to give him more than he can handle. He's not a crunch time player, I don't think he has the head for it right now.

Em-City
02-10-2012, 12:59 AM
It's best, right now, to understand his weakness instead of trying to give him more than he can handle. He's not a crunch time player, I don't think he has the head for it right now.

right now, he's barely an NBA player tbh.

GLAAD Committee
02-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Getting a good jumpshot would. Getting an ok one would hurt him probably, because he would use that instead of attacking the rim.

Welcome back, babe.

Rapper
02-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Basically Blair is likely a 6'5 /6'6 guy and I always think that RJ is taller than him . maybe I'm wrong.

Speaking of Blair. Does Pop want to make him become the next Charles Barkley who can help Duncan inside? I have no idea about that. how come a 6'6 guy could be able to be a starter Center in a Hall of Champion team like spurs? yes DeJuan has a strong body and can do some "telephone moves" . unfortunitely . he doesn't have a great potential to even average 10pts 10 rebs per game. this is already the 3rd season for Blair. if he has a strong potential i think we should have known it earily.

As a result . I strongly think Blair has already shown us everything that he can.

Russo21
02-10-2012, 02:12 AM
He has hit his ceiling. He will not improve.

6pt 6reb guy with shit defense the rest of his career.

G-Dawgg
02-10-2012, 02:29 AM
He's definately got some talent. Nobody puts up a 20/20 game against the best players in the world in the best league in the world by fluke.

He may not be the frontcourt player with the size or skillset that many of you want on this team, but there is no doubting that he is a competitor and brings a toughness and physicality that would be sorely lacking on this team if we were to let him go.... I think too many people look at the things that he doesn't do for this team rather than appreciating the little things that he does do for this team.

Just as teams need size, length, and athleticism, they also need bangers, bruisers, and competitors....

angelbelow
02-10-2012, 02:30 AM
Blair could actually make a dramatic improvement overnight if he had any self-control. He has the talent to be an effective NBA player, he just needs to use his head and stick to what hes good at.

TDMVPDPOY
02-10-2012, 02:32 AM
one trick pony, seen it all

G-Dawgg
02-10-2012, 02:33 AM
one trick pony, seen it all

That's his role though... He's not supposed to be a complete all-around player or a superstar... he rebounds and scraps for points in the interior..

I think people have set their expectations of him too high... he's a role player...
A second round draft pick, not a lottery pick.

He's a decent piece. Not a cornerstone.

DrSteffo
02-10-2012, 02:50 AM
He can improve if he works hard and learns to play smarter for his team. Basketball or burgers, ego or team? It's up to him.

Xevious
02-10-2012, 03:18 AM
Blair should not be a starter at this point. He'd fit best as an energy guy coming off the bench, getting rebounds and garbage buckets.

Old School 44
02-10-2012, 03:23 AM
I think DeJuan has the talent to improve. Not sure if he has the mentality to improve in this system. To play for Pop, you have to be mentally tougher. Some guys make it through (like Gary Neal), some don't (RMJ, Jefferson, Mahinmi). I'd say right now, Blair is on the fence, but leaning towards the latter group.

SpurNation
02-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Blair (with the development of Splitter) should no longer be considered as a primary player in the scheme of Spurs basketball. He should, from now on, use whatever natural strengths he possessed out of college to be the best 3rd or 4th big on the team. His only focus should be boxing out and crashing boards regardless if he starts or comes off the bench.

The days and effort of trying to get him to be anything else should be over.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-10-2012, 07:52 AM
He's much better than what you would expect of a 37th pick, the problem is people's expectations.

mathbzh
02-10-2012, 08:06 AM

IIRC he was a consensus top pick.

Em-City
02-10-2012, 10:08 AM
He's much better than what you would expect of a 37th pick, the problem is people's expectations.

I doesn't matter what pick he is, or where he came from.. fact of the matter is he's playing close to 20mpg and that's what i'll judge him on.

Keepin' it real
02-10-2012, 10:46 AM
He's shown us everything. And what he's shown us is that his talent level is suitable for an energy player coming off the bench for hustle plays and rebounds ... and not suitable for a starting center playing next to the best PF of all time.

mercos
02-10-2012, 01:05 PM
Blair can improve and be a much better player if he focuses on aspects of his game that will actually make a difference. He is to short to every be a back to the basket player that matters. If he works on his handles and outside shot he could be a pretty good 4th big that brings energy off the bench. His size (thickness not height) and strength should make him much tougher on the boards than he is showing. That is all on effort, and perhaps the lockout is effecting him because he has regressed in that area. He is not my preferred pick to be the Spurs 4th big, but I believe with the right adjustments he could be serviceable. I don't believe he is ever going to be starter material.

therealtruth
02-10-2012, 02:30 PM
In terms of guys with similar build you have guys like Anthony Mason, Larry Johnson, and Malik Rose. A career similar to M. Rose might be a best case scenario for him at this point. The guys best points are his energy and rebounding. I think by starting him Pop does him a disadvantage. He can really flourish of the bench as a energy role player.

Seventyniner
02-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Kwame Brown, drafted the same year as Tony Parker. Has there ever been another year where the last pick of the 1st round turned out to be miles better than the first pick?

Blair's strengths actually overlap a good bit with Leonard's: garbage buckets. Blair's a better passer, Leonard's a better defender. Perhaps they shouldn't both be starting. Cue the Parker/Ginobili/Leonard/Duncan/Splitter starting lineup lament...