PDA

View Full Version : Spring Surprise? Stock Market Alarm Sounding

Nbadan
02-10-2012, 01:00 AM
The richers are selling stock at a growing rate....this can't be good...

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (MarketWatch) — Corporate insiders are now selling their companies’ stock at a rate not seen since late last July.

That’s a scary parallel indeed, since that late-July spike in selling came just days before one of the more painful two-week periods in the stock market in years.

In early August, as you may recall, the U.S. government lost its triple-A credit rating, and the bottom dropped out of the stock market. Between the last week of July and the second week of August, the Dow Jones Industrial Average DJIA +0.05% dropped 2,000 points.

To be sure, heavy insider selling doesn’t always lead to this much market weakness, or this immediately. And there were a lot of other things going on last summer that aren’t present today.

Still, on the theory that corporate insiders — officers, directors and largest shareholders — know more about their firms’ prospects than do the rest of us, it can’t be good news that they are selling at such a heavy pace.

Consider a ratio calculated by Argus Research of the number of shares insiders have sold in the open market to the number that they have bought. Last week, according to the latest issue of Argus’ service, the Vickers Weekly Insider Report, this sell-to-buy ratio stood at 5.77-to-1. And among insiders at companies listed on the New York Stock Exchange, this ratio was even more lopsided at 8.2-to-1.

Making these recent readings even more worrisome, according to Argus Research, is that they came on markedly stepped-up activity among corporate insiders. This increases our confidence that the ratio accurately reflects prevailing sentiment among a broad cross-section of the insiders.

In fact, Vickers is so alarmed by recent insider trends that this week it is selling big chunks of its two model portfolios and putting the proceeds in cash. After the sales, its “Insider Model Portfolio” will be nearly 30% in cash and its “Risk Model Portfolio” will be more than 60% in cash.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-insiders-are-selling-heavily-2012-02-09

EVAY
02-10-2012, 11:59 AM
The richers are selling stock at a growing rate....this can't be good...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-insiders-are-selling-heavily-2012-02-09

I believe that they are selling now because of two things:

1. Stock prices are higher now than they have been since sometime in 2008

2. The market has been bullish long enough that almost everyone has been expecting a 5% correction or so.

So, if I were an insider who hadn't wanted to sell my options or stock that I had been given over the last few years as part of my compensation during the market downturn, seeing that the market is better now than it has been and is expected to be in the near future, I would sell now.

They are timing the market. They had to wait until their options were above water, and it has taken a long time, and the market is due to correct. I think they are right.

Greece is on the boil again, and that will be used to initiate a correction that the traders have been looking for for some time.

So if they are looking to sell, now is the time.

I don't think it means anything.

Corporate America has the squeakiest clean balance sheets they have had in many years because they have been stockpiling cash. The companies are fine. The market may still be volatile due to European debt concerns.

mercos
02-10-2012, 12:21 PM
I agree with Evay. The market has hit a multi-year high and the top dogs are simply taking in some profits now. The most troubling factor in the markets right now is Europe, and even the rich don't really know how that is going to play out. There were not any major indicators of trouble on the horizon in January's numbers. All signs right now point to growth.

coyotes_geek
02-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Yep. Just profit taking with some euro-nervousness built in.

coyotes_geek
02-10-2012, 12:24 PM
For now at least. If the PIIGS start defaulting then the picture changes.

CosmicCowboy
02-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Could also be anticipating that with the class warfare and "tax the rich bastards on wall street" groundswell that they are cashing in stock options while they can still do it at capital gains rates of 15%.

boutons_deux
02-10-2012, 01:03 PM
jail the rich bastards on wall street

jman3000
02-10-2012, 05:39 PM
As a trader and not an investor, I'm completely out of the stock market as of 2 days ago. MACD indicators converged in downward momentum yesterday/wednesday in silver and that's a fairly decent indicator where the markets going.

Perfect time to get out, chill for a week or 2, and get back in.

jman3000
02-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Could also be anticipating that with the class warfare and "tax the rich bastards on wall street" groundswell that they are cashing in stock options while they can still do it at capital gains rates of 15%.

Not sure if this is a joke or not, but it's terribly wrong.

clambake
02-10-2012, 05:44 PM
bought cummins about 3 weeks ago at $98. i'm stayin in on that and dumping some others.

mavs>spurs
02-10-2012, 06:36 PM
you don't even have to be an insider to know to sell high. it's just a slight correction that the market needs imho.

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2012, 04:54 AM
the market is bullish when you have the credit rating companys spewing there shit into the media, then you have those monthly reports and announcements from the ecb, imf, eu, usa fed about more bullshit....all it takes is 2 days to make alot of money when these idiots talk more shit about the economy....the only people gettin rich are the ppl who speculate shit about the markets...

boutons_deux
02-11-2012, 07:07 AM
the stock market is rigged.

Even smart investors get screwed, and retail "dumb" investors are suckers. pump and dump high-speed trading is where it's at.

It's easy to see by Pete Peterson has devoted his retirement and wealth to getting SS $Ts to be sucked into the Wall St con game.

btw, the investor withdrawals from hedge/equity funds has destroyed many of them.