PDA

View Full Version : Ibaka !!

Russo21
02-10-2012, 01:12 AM
Second time this season already he has had 10 blocks, yes 10 blocks in a game.

Are you kidding me?!?! Absolutely insane!

Sportstudi
02-10-2012, 07:29 AM
Pretty impressive, I agree.

If not for your thread, I would not have realized it. Didn't watch the game yesterday, just checked the boxscore in the morning. Somehow I missed that. :lol

Latarian Milton
02-10-2012, 09:17 AM
if he had a bit more luck he'd have probably snatched triple doubles both times tbh

pass1st
02-10-2012, 11:25 AM
:tu pretty impressive compiling of the most overrated stat in basketball.

The most overrated stat is points

stretch
02-10-2012, 11:56 AM
The most overrated stat is points

Not quite, as you NEED points to win games. You don't need blocks to win games.

stretch
02-10-2012, 11:58 AM
I still don't see why players don't pick up on his weakness: pump fakes.

jacobdrj
02-10-2012, 12:03 PM
I still don't see why players don't pick up on his weakness: pump fakes.

Because he is just so darned pretty...

2 10 block games in the same season... Shades of Ben Wallace...

Oh the memories.

Trainwreck2100
02-10-2012, 12:04 PM
the most overrated stats are dunks and age. Not real stats mind you but espn pimps them for no fucking reason

stretch
02-10-2012, 12:23 PM
the most overrated stats are dunks and age. Not real stats mind you but espn pimps them for no fucking reason

oh age matters. just look at Jason Kidd. then look at Ricky Rubio.

midnightpulp
02-10-2012, 12:27 PM
If anything, the block is an underrated stat, assuming of course those blocks came in the interior (I agree to an extent that blocking a fade away 3 point shot is an overrated feat. It's a low percentage attempt anyhow and would've likely missed). Ibaka could've very well prevented the opponent from scoring an additional 10 or more points. Furthermore, I can't count how times I've watched [insert name of great defensive big man here] save his team's ass in the winding moments of game by rejecting a shot or two, shots, that if made, would've tied the game or had the opponent take the lead.

pass1st
02-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Not quite, as you NEED points to win games. You don't need blocks to win games.

As an individual stat, it is overrated since a player with 30ppg but very low FG% <insert Kobe Joke here, I know somebody will> adds to losses.

TIMMYtoZO
02-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Easily one of the most overrated players on the thunder. His D isnt all that special. He gets blocks but that doesnt equate to being a great defender. Id easily take Udonis Haslem over that piece of shit Ibaka.

DisAsTerBot
02-10-2012, 03:43 PM
It's insane this guy's taint!

:lol

fuck yeah, that wide!

monosylab1k
02-10-2012, 04:05 PM
If anything, the block is an underrated stat, assuming of course those blocks came in the interior (I agree to an extent that blocking a fade away 3 point shot is an overrated feat. It's a low percentage attempt anyhow and would've likely missed). Ibaka could've very well prevented the opponent from scoring an additional 10 or more points. Furthermore, I can't count how times I've watched [insert name of great defensive big man here] save his team's ass in the winding moments of game by rejecting a shot or two, shots, that if made, would've tied the game or had the opponent take the lead.

I think a block is incredibly overrated, especially when it's a player like Ibaka.

Ibaka is a guy that will give up post positioning and allow the man he's gaurding (or the man who he's supposed to be rotating over to help defend) a good look at the basket, all in an attempt to then get up and block the shot at the last second. I'd rather have a guy that will stand his ground, not give up a good look, and force a miss. Tyson Chandler wasn't a great shot blocker for the Mavs, but he always stood his ground, never let people get a good look at the basket, and only after that would he go for a block. I'll take his defense any day over Ibaka's.

And as Zach Randolph and Dirk showed in the playoffs, when you neutralize Ibaka's shot blocking, he's exposed as a fairly mediocre defender. Nick Collison defended Dirk way better than Ibaka ever has.

If a player plays strong man defender AND can get alot of blocks (like prime Duncan), then his blocks become alot more valuable to the team. Otherwise imo it's an empty stat and not an indicator that a guy is a good defensive player at all.

mavsfan1000
02-10-2012, 04:05 PM
Yes he blocks the ball way out of bounds and celebrates. Then you bring it in and score. Blocking out of bounds is a wasted block.

monosylab1k
02-10-2012, 04:08 PM
top 3 shot blockers this season are Ibaka, Javale McGee, and DeAndre Jordan. I don't think "great defender" when any of those names come to mind.

Rummpd
02-10-2012, 05:39 PM
When he gets 8 in the decision game of a finals game like T. Duncan did (on way to near quadruple double) I will be truly impressed...still a great find and so much better than the over paid space eater that is Perkins.

All points (21), assists (10) and blocks (8) by Tim in this video. The video contains 10 blocked shots, but seems like the one at 5:38 and 5:58 didn't count, although Bill Walton credited the first one as a block. He also had 20 rebounds. Finals Game 6, 2003 Nets @ Spurs. He still holds the record for a NBA Finals series with 32 blocks.
Category:
Standard YouTube License

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nejQMtkyLgY