PDA

View Full Version : From fat to fit, we’ll drink to that!

JoeChalupa
02-10-2012, 06:24 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/hottopics/2012/02/from-fat-to-fit-well-drink-to-that/

We all know too well how San Antonio’s portly bellies have made us the fattest city in the nation on more than one list at one time or another.

But, finally, we’ve gone from fat to fit and have landed on a list of the 25 fittest cities in the country (we’re last, but hey, we’ll take it), shedding our flabby reputation, according to the forthcoming March issue of Men’s Fitness magazine.

In the publication’s “Fittest & Fattest Cities in America” survey, another Texas city tops the tubby list: Houston. H-town is the most obese city in the nation with El Paso on the list at 7 and Dallas at 25. On the flip side of fat are the fittest cities with S.A. making the cut at 25; Austin came in at 12. In first place is Portland.

The magazine reports that 33.8% of American adults are now obese. “It’s been three years since we last rounded up America’s fittest and fattest cities, and obesity rates have worsened in that time span at an alarming rate,” writes the article’s author Nate Millado.

Of Houston’s standing, comes this: “According to the CDC, a whopping 34% of H-Town residents are overweight. In previous surveys we’d claimed Houston was on the upswing in the weight-loss department, but there’s evidently been a bit of a regression since we last checked in.”

The magazine blames Houston’s weight gain on the city’s scorching heat and the average commute of almost 28 minutes in a car to get from one place to another, keeping Houstonians seated and sedentary.

Houston also is cited as the city with the most fast-food joints: 1,034 that may be to blame for the city’s, well, expansion.

But not all is fit as a fiddle for S.A. The magazine reports that the nations’ heaviest drinkers live in San Antonio and that 8.2% of us have at least two drinks per day.

From fat to fit…looks like we’ll drink to that.

Here are the fattest cities, in order: Houston, Detroit, Cleveland, Memphis, Tampa, Las Vegas, El Paso, Baltimore, Los Angeles, Louisville, Tulsa, Miami, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Arlington, Columbus, Charlotte, Phoenix, New Orleans, Atlanta, Raleigh, Kansas City, St. Louis, Chicago, Dallas.

Here are the fittest cities, in order: Portland, San Francisco, Albuquerque, Oakland, Boston, Seattle, Denver, San Diego, Minneapolis, Honolulu, Tucson, Austin, Colorado Springs, San Jose, Omaha, Washington, Milwaukee, Virginia Beach, Sacramento, Jacksonville, New York, Wichita, Oklahoma City, Nashville, San Antonio.

~~~I'm doing my part.

BlackSwordsMan
02-10-2012, 06:59 PM
san antonio on the fittest cities? holy shit

BlackSwordsMan
02-10-2012, 07:00 PM
lol houston fattest city in the us

dey luv dem kfc's

tlongII
02-10-2012, 07:16 PM
:toast

redzero
02-10-2012, 08:10 PM
:toast

Don't even try, tlong. We've all seen your pic.

Sportcamper
02-11-2012, 12:45 PM
This list is a joke…Portland? Come on! Portland has the fattest most un-tidy white populace in the USA…The fittest people are the ones living in the Sun Belts where they wear the least amount of clothes…So Cal & Miami come to mind…The only reason SF is on the list is because there are so many male ballerinas, yoga & aerobics instructors…

DMC
02-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Bike riding is the solution. Cities that incorporate bike trails and routes and support bike related events are on that lower list. I am surprised Boulder isn't there, maybe they are too small.

Get a bike, ride it. Good thing about riding a bike vs a stationary one, if you want to quit you have to first ride back.

boutons_deux
02-11-2012, 02:02 PM
people who ride bikes are probably more conscientiousness about their food, and are probably lean weight without bike riding, or any exercise.

Food dominates health status which is supported, not defined, by exercise.

Even isfSA had safe sub/urban bikes lanes like Europeans, obese (Wal-Mart) porkers wouldn't use them anyway.

DMX7
02-11-2012, 04:19 PM
San Antonio is not one of the fittest cities - period.

Goran Dragic
02-12-2012, 10:32 AM
I don't think all the fat illegals living in Fat Antonio are incorporated into this stat

tlongII
02-12-2012, 12:20 PM
Don't even try, tlong. We've all seen your pic.

I'm not fat, I'm big-boned.

DJ Mbenga
02-12-2012, 05:27 PM

husky

DMC
02-12-2012, 06:08 PM
people who ride bikes are probably more conscientiousness about their food, and are probably lean weight without bike riding, or any exercise.

Food dominates health status which is supported, not defined, by exercise.

Even isfSA had safe sub/urban bikes lanes like Europeans, obese (Wal-Mart) porkers wouldn't use them anyway.

So then all the genetically lean people move to those cities. Got it...

:lol deuxchbag

DMC
02-12-2012, 06:10 PM
If anyone here has ever gone to the Tanger factory outlet in San Marcos, you probably saw a 50% morbidly obese rate. It's amazing how many incredibly fat people go there.

SA210
02-12-2012, 06:32 PM
San Antonio is not one of the fittest cities - period.

boutons_deux
02-12-2012, 07:47 PM
So then all the genetically lean people move to those cities. Got it...

:lol deuxchbag

beautiful non sequitur. Do you work at it, or is it a genetic gift?

Very few people remain thin no matter how much they eat.

Very few people are medically overweight.

Nearly everybody who is fat is so because they eat too much, not because they don't ride bikes.

DAF86
02-12-2012, 08:03 PM
1 out of 3 people in the US is obese? :lol

I didn't know it was that bad.

TDMVPDPOY
02-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Nearly everybody who is fat is so because they eat too much, not because they don't ride bikes.

the problem is not the people who are consuming the products, its the product itself in the growing/supply chain...to much shit like growth hormones are injected into production and meeting up with demand of the market...

is it possible to gain weight if ur living on foodstamps per month?..instead of buyin popular brands, buy alot of generic brands?

Sisk
02-12-2012, 08:14 PM
1 out of 3 people in the US is obese? :lol

I didn't know it was that bad.

It is.

DMC
02-12-2012, 08:16 PM
beautiful non sequitur. Do you work at it, or is it a genetic gift?

Very few people remain thin no matter how much they eat.

Very few people are medically overweight.

About 3% of people, or 6.8 million adults, were morbidly obese in 2005.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/weightloss/2007-04-10-morbidly-obese_N.htm

Numbers posted by the National Center for Health Statistics show that more than 34 percent of Americans are obese, compared to 32.7 percent who are overweight. It said just under 6 percent are "extremely" obese.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/01/09/us-obesity-usa-idUSTRE50863H20090109

You were saying?

boutons_deux
02-12-2012, 08:26 PM
"You were saying?"

another amazing non sequitur.

2/3+ of Americans are overweight/obese, well known!!

99% of them are that fat because of eating too much, and eating S.A.D., standard American diet (USDA approved, of course)

slacker77
02-12-2012, 10:15 PM

Dinosaurs were big boned

King
02-12-2012, 10:38 PM
It's not like they're going around with calipers checking people's body fat. It's a formula. I read it was something like ratio of fitness clubs to fast food restaurants (I don't know if that's entirely correct).

DMC
02-12-2012, 10:57 PM
"You were saying?"

another amazing non sequitur.

2/3+ of Americans are overweight/obese, well known!!

99% of them are that fat because of eating too much, and eating S.A.D., standard American diet (USDA approved, of course)

What the fuck does "medically overweight" mean and why did you say "very few people are medically overweight"?

A BMI of 30 or more = obese

A combination of diet and exercise is what is needed to lose weight. Why? Because just dieting is not a lifestyle change and the person will more than likely gain it back. If they adapt a physical routine, they are more likely to keep the weight off and develop the heart muscles at the same time, which increases the metabolism rate.

You're probably not qualified to debate me on this, regardless of your Google skills.