View Full Version : Question about Ryan Richards

maverick1948
02-10-2012, 08:21 PM
The team website in Switzerland shows Richards left the team in Feb 2012 and he is not listed on their roster. What happened and where did he go?

ChumpDumper
02-10-2012, 08:47 PM
"Personal reasons."

BackHome
02-11-2012, 12:12 AM
I know people say for him to play in Euro but the reality is that teams know that he wants to play in the U.S so why would they help him leave? Just bring his ass to the D-League so we can see if he can play or not.........

timvp
02-11-2012, 12:14 AM
It's most likely just because Richards is sucking on a low level and is being a drama queen.

Although, the timing would fit with regard to bringing him in for a look. I'm sure it's just a coincidence but after releasing Thomas, the Spurs do need another big . . .

ChumpDumper
02-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Would be interesting if he just came over on his own and signed a D-League contract. I can't see the Spurs' signing him midseason if they don't have to.

timvp
02-11-2012, 12:28 AM
Would be interesting if he just came over on his own and signed a D-League contract. I can't see the Spurs' signing him midseason if they don't have to.

Has that ever happened (a player whose rights are owned by an NBA team signing straight with the D-League)? And I assume he wouldn't automatically become property of the Toros.

If he's willing to take the pay cut, it'd at least be an interesting move. The last time I read an interview with him, he basically said he was tired of European basketball.

Again, probably nothing, but the timing is suspicious.

ChumpDumper
02-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Has that ever happened (a player whose rights are owned by an NBA team signing straight with the D-League)? And I assume he wouldn't automatically become property of the Toros.I can think of on or two. One was drafted by the the affiliate of the team that owned his rights (OKC/Tulsa) and I believe the other was traded to the affiliate team after the draft IIRC.

Coming into the league now, he'd be available to just about every D-League team ahead of the Toros since they just signed a big man themselves from the available player pool. They have decent enough players and future picks if it comes to that.

There's a good 20 or so games left in the season, so it's not out of the question I suppose.

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2012, 04:00 AM
lol draft busts played against wankers undersized in some ymca league, then plays in some low europe league...

seriously we should be looking somewhere else

Darkwaters
02-11-2012, 04:57 AM
lol draft busts played against wankers undersized in some ymca league, then plays in some low europe league...

seriously we should be looking somewhere else

Seriously, he was the 49th pick in the draft. I'd hardly call him a bust at a draft position where nearly nobody pans out long-term. Yea, the guy may not be an NBA player, and very likely never will be, but it was still a solid draft choice at the time.

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2012, 05:04 AM
Seriously, he was the 49th pick in the draft. I'd hardly call him a bust at a draft position where nearly nobody pans out long-term. Yea, the guy may not be an NBA player, and very likely never will be, but it was still a solid draft choice at the time.

nothing special about him besides the prima donna attitude wanting to come here straight away not earning his stripes like everyone who goes from summer camp etc...

venitian navigator
02-11-2012, 05:15 AM
...well, in Switzerland he probably faced one of the lower levels of playing...so I don't think he was gonna improve a lot.
The point is that he lacks the necessary pedigree to be chosen from a top european team...
In these conditions, considering all the time already lost 'cause of his shoulder injury, I can understand a bit his unwillingness to "lose time again".
One thingh is for sure, despite his probably not so commendable attitude : his physical skills and playing skills (7.1 with very good outside shoot) togheter with his young age are still now absolutely intriguing, and ther's a chance that alone could already allow him to play some minutes in the nba.
He could be worth a try, but the real problem could be just learning our play book...

DrSteffo
02-11-2012, 05:35 AM
Didn't understand us drafting him back then and it looks even more stupid now. Maybe he can make it in the Finnish, Icelandic or Albanian league if he improves a bit.

Bruno
02-11-2012, 06:21 AM
If you want to have a good idea about Richards, there are a couple of full Lugano Tigers games on youtube.

For example, there is a December game against Basel:
Boxscore: http://www.lnba.ch/statistiques.php?id_match=7921&m_f=0&club1=5&club2=19&ligue=214

Game:
7Fw9HXj1qsY

Richards is #12 white.

DrSteffo
02-11-2012, 07:54 AM
Thanks Bruno. What do you think about his D? I think it sucks.

SpurNation
02-11-2012, 08:42 AM

Yep. Spurs were pioneers in the day of drafting Parker, Ginobili, Scola and Splitter from overseas. Now that other teams took notice of what the Spurs masterfully accomplished, other NBA teams have been drafting European players at a higher rate. Hard to snag top talent from overseas anymore with a late selection.

DrSteffo
02-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Agreed that the Spurs drafting international players has been exceptional and one of the most important reasons for us getting 4 rings. That doesn't make Richards a good draft pick.

yavozerb
02-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Agreed that the Spurs drafting international players has been exceptional and one of the most important reasons for us getting 4 rings. That doesn't make Richards a good draft pick.

Doesn't make him make a bad draft pick either...Kid was a long shot to make the NBA, not sure why the big deal if he does not do so.

DrSteffo
02-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Not a big deal but doesn't help us remain a top team in the nba either. To stay at the top we have to outperform those other teams in the draft.

maverick1948
02-11-2012, 11:26 AM
Why does everyone think the worst? I just asked the question to find out why he was gone. Was it an injury or something else. Up until the last 5 games he was getting plenty of minutes and doing quite well. It seems like the team knows he is going to go somewhere else and cut his minutes.

As far as him playing for the Spurs, maybe they saw something "we dont get to see" in him. I hope that the do bring him over 20 games in the Dleague is better than playing a game or two every 10 days like they do in Europe. In addition, I want him to play in our system for at least a full year before we make any decision on him. I think we did wrong with Thomas. He could have been something if given the chance or a bust but at least we would have known for sure. 3 weeks is not long enough in our system to evaluate any rookie.

Bringing Richards over and letting him play in the D league then the summer league and a full camp, we should have a good idea if he is going to show anything. He could be like Gary Neal and surprise us all. Give him the chance.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Why does everyone think the worst?

"Personal reasons."

That wouldn't play too well with the Spurs FO. I'm not sure "quitter" is what they want to see on your b-ball resume.

wildbill2u
02-11-2012, 01:55 PM
All will be revealed in due time. With all the really exciting things going on with this season's current personnel and the Spurs run, I can't get too interested in the personal problems & peregrinations of an unproved teenager who was a very late draft choice.

bigfan
02-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Hell they should STILL try to get Javtokas.

BackHome
02-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Practice is one thing but getting game time does so much more for a players development. The kid was picked 49th so we know he is not perfect just like when the Flakers picked Bynum he wasn't perfect but he got better. It is very hard for bigs I think it takes them much longer to develop then any other position.

Like I said before the guy is a 7'0 who can run, shot, is athletic, can dribble, and is not plain stupid. How many of those guys come out every year in the draft? He does NOT want to be playing in Europe so give him a chance and bring him to D-League.

Gm's who thought players could not help there team..Luis Scola..Jermey Lin...etc..........The right place and the right coach and the right system can make the player!

Hell how many idiots on this forum were saying trade Splitter, or when we draft Manu people were saying trade him.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-11-2012, 02:30 PM
Practice is one thing but getting game time does so much more for a players development. The kid was picked 49th so we know he is not perfect just like when the Flakers picked Bynum he wasn't perfect but he got better. It is very hard for bigs I think it takes them much longer to develop then any other position.

Like I said before the guy is a 7'0 who can run, shot, is athletic, can dribble, and is not plain stupid. How many of those guys come out every year in the draft? He does NOT want to be playing in Europe so give him a chance and bring him to D-League.

Gm's who thought players could not help there team..Luis Scola..Jermey Lin...etc..........The right place and the right coach and the right system can make the player!

Hell how many idiots on this forum were saying trade Splitter, or when we draft Manu people were saying trade him.

:lol Bynum was a late lottery pick, and would likely have gone top 5 if he didn't have knee red flags. Comparing him to some unknown Brit isn't really valid.

BackHome
02-11-2012, 03:15 PM
My point exactly he was not perfect and yet the Flakers were very patient with his development. And he was not even close to a sure thing he was drafted for potential...ie..Richards

Wild Cobra Kai
02-11-2012, 03:28 PM
My point exactly he was not perfect and yet the Flakers were very patient with his development. And he was not even close to a sure thing he was drafted for potential...ie..Richards

Uh, Bynum was as sure a thing as anyone in most drafts, one of the TOP HS players to enter that year. As I said before, and you must have scanned over, he was a sure fire TOP 5 pick if he doesn't have knee red flags. Again, so you don't miss it, a TOP 5 pick if not for the knees. That has nothing in common with a unknown Euro who's only played the game for a couple of years at most.

BackHome
02-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Point made but I am not saying he is Bynum I am just saying that what does it cost to bring him into the D-League. If he does well then great if he doesn't then we move on..