PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Nets - Feb. 11

timvp
02-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Saturday night's game against the Nets will be remembered for the return of Manu Ginobili after a 40-day absence due to a broken hand. As far as the contest was concerned, there wasn't much of one as the Spurs cruised to a 103-89 victory.

The Nets are a bad team who had lost five games in a row entering the game, so the easy win wasn't exactly a surprise. However, since the Spurs have struggled on the road much of this season, any victory away from home is notable at this point.

Winners of seven straight, the Spurs -- equipped with the greatness of Ginobili once again -- will look to improve to 4-0 on the Rodeo Road Trip Tuesday night at Detroit.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/2u7cets.jpg
http://oi43.tinypic.com/2vsjh3m.jpg

Tim Duncan B+
Tim Duncan continues to get better and better as this season progresses. He was bad in December, decent in January and has been very good in February. Against the Nets, he posted his fourth straight double-double despite only playing 24 minutes. For the month, he's now averaging 17.5 points and 11.5 rebounds in 28.2 minutes per game on 53.3% shooting from the field. On Saturday night, he added five assists -- his highest in that category in more than a month. Defensively, he was solid. While his pick-and-roll defense was late at times, he controlled the paint.

Manu Ginobili B
Welcome back, Manu Ginobili. The Argentine superstar came off the bench and played as expected. He was unselfish on the offensive end, made a couple great passes and showed flashes of his scoring ability. Defensively, he has a ways to go -- his lateral movement was especially slow tonight. He didn't use his injured left hand when attempting steals, which is understandable. But since he doesn't have any sort of wrap on his hand, there's no reason for him not to return to his early season form once he's back in shape and confident again.

Tony Parker B
It was good to see Tony Parker finally get a bit of a break. With Ginobili back, Parker was able to play his fewest minutes since the blowout loss to the Heat back on Jan. 17. While his stats weren't too impressive, Parker ran the show very well. His playmaking was superb and he kept his mistakes to a minimum. Defensively, Parker didn't let Deron Williams get many open looks. It was a strong yet unspectacular outing for the All-Star.

Richard Jefferson B-
Richard Jefferson had another typical showing. Offensively, he took his stand-still three-pointers and his two-pointers coming off screens. On defense, he wasn't bad but he did lose Anthony Morrow a few times when making a rotation. Jefferson didn't thrive with Ginobili gone. We'll see if he'll be able to pick up his level of play with Ginobili back in action.

DeJuan Blair B
Speaking of which, DeJuan Blair was the happiest man in the Prudential Center that Ginobili was playing again. Ginobili found Blair a couple times early and that seemed to spark the burly bigman. Blair finished with double-digits in points for the first time in nine games. The confidence he got from scoring seemed to translate to passing the ball, as Blair authored some of his best passes of the season tonight. Unfortunately, he didn't take his improved level of play to the defensive end. He was slow on transition defense, was listless in the paint and wasn't helping out on the defensive glass.

Danny Green B
After 17 straight misses from the field, Danny Green finally got one to go. He started his second straight game and the two days of rest really seemed to do him some good. Green got better elevation on his jumper and he was moving really well on the defensive end. In terms of one-on-one defense, this was one of his better outings. On the other hand, Green was unsure of himself on offense at times and wasn't nearly as disruptive on the defensive end as he usually is. I wouldn't say his slump is over but Green is headed in the right direction now.

Kawhi Leonard B+
For a young rookie, I'm impressed by how Kawhi Leonard is able to stay consistent energy-wise no matter if he's starting or coming off the bench. A reserve tonight, Leonard stepped in and played with a lot of intensity immediately. Defensively, he was successful in a myriad of matchups including Deron Williams to MarShon Brooks. Leonard was once again a beast on the glass and drained his only three-point attempt. He has now connected on five of his last six three-point attempts.

Gary Neal A
For the second straight game, Gary Neal played like a world class backup point guard. Like he did against the Sixers, Neal poured in 18 points -- this time thanks to a strong effort from two-point range. He was 6-for-6 on twos tonight after shooting just 25.9% (7-for-27) on two-pointers over his previous six games. Versus the Nets, Neal's playmaking and passing were also outstanding. In his last two games, he has nine assists and no turnovers in 53 minutes. Defensively, he wasn't quite as sharp tonight but he did help the team by crashing the defensive boards.

Tiago Splitter B+
Tiago Splitter is becoming mighty dependable. Like has been the case over the last few weeks, he was unstoppable in pick-and-rolls, finished off catches in the paint, made heads-up passes, rebounded well, protected the rim and turned the ball over a bit too much. Overall, there's not much to complain about. When he's involved, Splitter contributes. Defensively, he's learning more and more how to use his length to his advantage.

Matt Bonner B-
Compared to recent games, Matt Bonner wasn't very sharp tonight. His closeouts were a beat late and he missed some open looks. But the Nets didn't make him pay for any of his defensive mistakes and the Spurs were scoring well enough to shrug off his misses.

James Anderson B
Showing a lot of explosion and quickness, James Anderson made the most of his nine minutes of playing time. Now if he could just knock down those three-pointers again . . .

Pop B+
I liked how Pop worked Manu Ginobili back into the action. He spread his minutes out and used a couple timeouts to ensure Ginobili never got too gassed. I didn't really follow the logic of starting Green over Leonard tonight but it worked out. Pop didn't panic when the Nets made a few halfhearted runs in the fourth quarter and kept the bench in the game, which was probably his best coaching move of the night.

TDMVPDPOY
02-11-2012, 11:47 PM
dejuan blair is a scrub, whether his happy ginoboli is playin or not doesnt make a difference, once the ball gets inside it aint gettin passed out.....

ducks
02-11-2012, 11:52 PM
blair sucks this year very many bonehead plays
booner actually is by far having his best year as a spur

thought leonard should have started on williams

SpurNation
02-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Is this an anomaly regarding Neal? I remember in an interview at the beginning of this year Neal stating he had been working on his point guard skills. I was hoping he wasn't going to turn into another Roger Mason Jr. project and ruin his game. Instead...it seems to be a rewarding venture for both him and the Spurs.

Two games and growing. Hope this is an upward trend that continues. Props to Neal. Gotta get the 14 jersey soon.

Dex
02-12-2012, 12:04 AM
High-Five Lady A+
High-Five Lady was on a mission tonight and she was not to be denied. She held her position well, got her hands into the slapping lanes, and made a brilliant move in the clutch to slap some skin with the Spurs' two-time MVP. Her exuberance was clearly evident, and it's good to see that kind of desire and passion -- especially on the road.

ElNono
02-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Everybody looked good. It's true the Nets were not much of a challenge. But these are wins you have to go and get. So I'm glad the team took care of business.

Thanks for the writeup, LJ.

Manu-of-steel
02-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Thanks, timvp. Great write up. If only James Anderson could hit those 3s, spurs will have another capable shooting guard.

Manu-of-steel
02-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Is this an anomaly regarding Neal? I remember in an interview at the beginning of this year Neal stating he had been working on his point guard skills. I was hoping he wasn't going to turn into another Roger Mason Jr. project and ruin his game. Instead...it seems to be a rewarding venture for both him and the Spurs.

Two games and growing. Hope this is an upward trend that continues. Props to Neal. Gotta get the 14 jersey soon.

I'm not sure about this, but i think Neal has lost some fats and gained more muscles. It may have contributed to his quickness this season.

SpurNation
02-12-2012, 12:12 AM
High-Five Lady A+
High-Five Lady was on a mission tonight and she was not to be denied. She held her position well, got her hands into the slapping lanes, and made a brilliant move in the clutch to slap some skin with the Spurs' two-time MVP. Her exuberance was clearly evident, and it's good to see that kind of desire and passion -- especially on the road.

:rollin

ffadicted
02-12-2012, 12:18 AM
high-five lady a+
high-five lady was on a mission tonight and she was not to be denied. She held her position well, got her hands into the slapping lanes, and made a brilliant move in the clutch to slap some skin with the spurs' two-time mvp. Her exuberance was clearly evident, and it's good to see that kind of desire and passion -- especially on the road.

11/10

Arc
02-12-2012, 12:19 AM
damnit. i have to see this high-five lady. someone upload a video.

mercos
02-12-2012, 12:21 AM
My big take away from the past two games is Gary Neal's improved play making skills. The fact that he hasn't turned the ball over in the last two games is what impresses me most because he had struggled handling the ball earlier in the year. He also seems to be finding Splitter a lot more. If he can keep up this level of play and we have two high scoring/ play making point guards, look out. It would also be nice to not have to depend on TJ Ford's health to get Parker legit rest in games.

TDMVPDPOY
02-12-2012, 12:21 AM

over dribbling and penetrating when his free on the 3pt line and should just pull the trigger imo, there is only a few players on the team who i think should just pull the trigger then passing it to a scrub to stuff it up cause of their % efficiency is shit

the difference between neal and rmj, neal also has an inside game jumper that is very efficient, unlike rmj who only hits 3s...

SpurNation
02-12-2012, 12:24 AM
I'm not sure about this, but i think Neal has lost some fats and gained more muscles. It may have contributed to his quickness this season.

Whatever it is the Spurs just keep rolling them out. Yet some just can't believe they know what they're doing in selecting players.

ElNono
02-12-2012, 12:25 AM
BTW, RC Bufford was there with probably the most wicked pants I can remember... He was not with the team in Philly...

Another sighting was PJ Carlesimo chatting up with the coaching staff during warmups...

siraulo23
02-12-2012, 12:27 AM
High-Five Lady A+

i missed it,

someone make a GIF ...

SpurNation
02-12-2012, 12:30 AM
over dribbling and penetrating when his free on the 3pt line and should just pull the trigger imo,

Then he wouldn't be a PG in the Spurs offense if he didn't dribble/penetrate/kick. And there's no way Pop leaves him in the game if all he did when open on the line is just shoot.

Neal is becoming more comfortable and efficient. 3 games ago he looked liked RMJ.

rmt
02-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Hope Neal keeps up the good play, but if I were the opponent, I'd pressure him as he brings the ball up. Don't think his ball-handling skills are good enough for the playoffs when they scout him and exploit the weakness. It'll probably have to be TJ as TP's backup - too bad, Spurs have too much depth in the backcourt and not enough in the frontcourt.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-12-2012, 12:44 AM
High-Five Lady A+

Anyone got footage or a .gif of this? I didn't catch it on league pass

Em-City
02-12-2012, 12:49 AM
Neal's floaters were lookin good today.. i wonder what his range is on that?

letmk
02-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Did Neal sign a 2-year or 3-year contract?

Dex
02-12-2012, 12:57 AM
Best I can do:

raMVpVQjXgA

Cant_Be_Faded
02-12-2012, 12:58 AM
LOL, whoa that lady's the shit

TDMVPDPOY
02-12-2012, 01:06 AM
who the hi5 lady? looks like she wont be cleaning or scrubbing that hand

Cant_Be_Faded
02-12-2012, 01:07 AM
When I become an older lady that's goign to be me some day

LakerHater
02-12-2012, 01:15 AM
http://px9.funformobile.com/d/169/61/1fjdcjav7c/high5lady.gif

Manufan909
02-12-2012, 01:36 AM
When I become an older lady that's goign to be me some day

Wait... are you a chick?

P.S. Had this game recorded, can't wait to watch it next weekend. I'm so glad Splitter played the entire 4th, but were his TOs/fouls the reason for his 2nd straight sub-7 min first half?

P.P.S. Did Green dunk the ball in the highlights off that full-court Duncan pass? The quality on that vid was atrocious, I could barely see what was happening.:bang

timtonymanu
02-12-2012, 01:39 AM

Awesome!

timtonymanu
02-12-2012, 01:39 AM
What's also funny about that gif is RJ's shirt throw. :lol

LakerHater
02-12-2012, 01:41 AM
That guy in the back didnt even want Tim's handshake, he wanted RJ's shirt! :lol

TDMVPDPOY
02-12-2012, 01:42 AM

whoever received that shirt, shouldve thrown it back at his face....one good performance does not make up 3 yrs of pathetic performance

Cant_Be_Faded
02-12-2012, 01:47 AM

She's like omgz Based Tim

siraulo23
02-12-2012, 01:59 AM
haha awesome

did the lady even get to high five duncan?
it seems to me she's frustrated she missed duncan's hand hehe

BanditHiro
02-12-2012, 02:01 AM
haha awesome

did the lady even get to high five duncan?
it seems to me she's frustrated she missed duncan's hand hehe

She smelled it afterwards, so she had to have gotten the slap.

loveforthegame
02-12-2012, 02:05 AM
Awesome gif. :lol

Thanks for the grades as always.

Nothing better than seeing Ginobli back on the court. :tu

Sean Cagney
02-12-2012, 02:06 AM
whoever received that shirt, shouldve thrown it back at his face....one good performance does not make up 3 yrs of pathetic performance

:wow:lmao:lmao

timvp
02-12-2012, 02:07 AM

New Jersey is apparently home to the most excitable of fans.

http://static03.mediaite.com/sportsgrid/uploads/2011/03/257966312-2a4f14eea56ee73d12faca04cec2fdb7.4d7f69d8-full.gif

Cant_Be_Faded
02-12-2012, 04:36 AM
Honestly I would probably react just the same now if I got to hi-five Timmy.

Ya'll shoulda seen the look on our faces for the Clippers game earlier this year when the mookie crew got nailed with the fan cam, and put on the big screen.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-12-2012, 04:38 AM
timvp do you really think Leonard did that decent of a job on Deron? Seemed like he did a sub-par job to me, and then when he guarded him again in the 4th, Deron had taken his foot off the pedal cuz he realized his team was going to lose (not as if this chump has been giving it his all this season consistently anyways)

Bruno
02-12-2012, 05:17 AM
Nets are an horrible basketball team. The positive of this game is that nobody got injured and nobody played too much minutes. Spurs should be "relatively" fresh for the end of the RRT.

Cant_Be_Faded
02-12-2012, 06:42 AM
http://www.thesmokingjacket.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/obvious.jpg

SpurNation
02-12-2012, 09:39 AM

http://static03.mediaite.com/sportsgrid/uploads/2011/03/257966312-2a4f14eea56ee73d12faca04cec2fdb7.4d7f69d8-full.gif

:rollin

Obstructed_View
02-12-2012, 09:54 AM
My first thought when I saw the clip is that she kissed her hand, not that she smelled it. I supposed she might have licked it as well. You never know.

Cane
02-12-2012, 10:52 AM

:lol they even look alike

Anyway good grades, Neal was the only with a truly A-ish performance. Love the grades, but to me it still feels pretty strange to use academic letter grades for professional sports players....but then again thats where stuff like A-game comes from

boutons_deux
02-12-2012, 11:46 AM
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/426483_268734543197171_124920027578624_636062_1631 610716_n.jpg

spursfan1000
02-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Good too see that Manu returned, too bad I wasnt able to watch. If Spurs can stay healthy for rest of the season I can see them making it to the WCF.

wildbill2u
02-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Ya look at the balance of the minutes played and ya gotta love the way Pop is using his combinations.

On this compresed schedule with lots of b2b games, this is so crucial to the prevention of exhaustion and injuries and long term success this season.

I see no reason why this shouldn't be a very successful Rodeo Road Trip.

SpurNation
02-12-2012, 04:52 PM
Ya look at the balance of the minutes played and ya gotta love the way Pop is using his combinations.

On this compresed schedule with lots of b2b games, this is so crucial to the prevention of exhaustion and injuries and long term success this season.

I see no reason why this shouldn't be a very successful Rodeo Road Trip.

:tu Nice and simple. Second that thought.

slick'81
02-12-2012, 05:57 PM
damn she nearly spazzed out after she fell over to touch a tip of duncans finger lmao