PDA

View Full Version : World Peace: Mike Brown's is a stats guy

ChrisRichards
02-12-2012, 09:05 AM
"I only played 20 minutes the other night, so when I play a little bit of minutes I always try to get extra work," World Peace said before the Lakers played the Knicks on Friday night. "If I play my regular minutes, I don't need to do extra work. I didn't know how many minutes I was going to play that night, so I had to get extra work done."

Has he spoken with Brown about the inconsistency in his playing time?

"No, I let him coach and I play," World Peace said. "I just want to be ready and I figured I probably won't play as much because some games I play and some games I don't. So I just want to keep myself in shape.

The player formerly known as Artest believes that Brown's coaching is too dictated by stats, and that his 16.4 percent (9-of-55!) shooting from beyond the 3-point line and 51.4 percent from the free-throw line shouldn't keep him off the floor in the fourth quarter, when, he said, "I'm gonna make a big stop and I may make a big shot."

You don't have to be a stat-head to recognize how damning those numbers are. World Peace suggests that when he was on the floor at the end of the Boston game, the Lakers won. When he was on the bench in Philly and Utah at the end of the fourth, they lost.

"I'm trying to win," World Peace said. "And right now, coach is a stats guy. His background is video coordinator or whatever. So he's all stats. But Ron Artest is all feel. He doesn't understand that. Having me in the game at the end, he was worried about me shooting bad from the free throw line. And I was like, 'I could care less because I'm gonna get a stop at the end of the game.' He didn't understand the rhythm that we had -- me, Fish [Derek Fisher], Kobe , Pau [Gasol] and Drew [Andrew Bynum]. I've been through games where I would have two points, go 1 for 9 and we'd win. That's what matters. Stats are for people who need stats."

[B]"If I could count how many times another team went away from the best player when I was on him, I've got to be like No. 1 in the league," World Peace said. "That's not a stat, and coach doesn't ... you would have to play basketball to feel that. When Phil Jackson was here, that's why I was in the game, because he understands that. Philly and Utah, I was on the bench because of stats.

"Every game on the road is gonna be close," he said. "But I think they panic a little bit when the games get close. But me, Kobe, Pau, Fish, we expect the games to be close. We expect to pull them out, and we don't panic. And coach, he panicked a little bit: 'I need to make a change.' So I just sit on the bench and wait and see what happens."

"The real stat is the wins," World Peace said. "That's the only stat that should count. If you win, that's all that matters. If I'm 1 for 10 from the free-throw line, 3 for 15 from the 3-point line, 29 percent from field goal, no rebounds, no assists and we won, bam. It doesn't matter because at the end of the game, I'm gonna get a big stop, I might hit a big shot.

"And then the player's gonna take a stupid shot because I'm on him because he has no other choice but to take a dumb shot," W.P. said. "And we win the game and go home, have some oatmeal the next morning. It's real simple, man. The coach, he's got to get used to that."

ChrisRichards
02-12-2012, 09:06 AM
:rollin @ Kobe's hopes for a sixth ring

WeNeedLength
02-12-2012, 09:16 AM
And we win the game and go home, have some oatmeal the next morning. It's real simple, man. The coach, he's got to get used to that."

Metta Ron World Artest Peace is still fucking crazy....

ChrisRichards
02-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Is World Peace overstating his defensive impact, his intangible value?

According to Synergy Sports Technology, he's allowing a very average .833 points per possession, good for 192nd in the NBA. For comparison's sake, the Hornets' Marco Belinelli -– not regarded as a good defender -– is right behind him at .834, spanning five fewer possessions and five fewer field-goal attempts.

World Peace is holding opponents to a respectable .367 field goal percentage and is ranked between good and excellent by Synergy in all man-to-man defensive situations except when he defends the pick-and-roll ball handler (poor) and surprisingly, when he defends in isolation (below average). In the latter situations, opponents are shooting .421 (8 of 19).

These numbers, along with World Peace's jaw-dropping shooting percentages, is what Brown is looking at on his computer screen every night. World Peace, 32, said the numbers don't take into account his "cold-blooded" nature and the fact that opposing shooters lose their legs trying to box out his 260-pound body at the other end of the floor.

"I think he just has to get a better feel of the players," World Peace said of Brown. "Kobe, he's got ice-cold blood in his veins. Fish is the same way. And you've just got to get used to your players when you've got two players with five rings. ... We're cold-blooded, and coach, he's got to understand that about us. We could care less what happens the whole game. I could care less what happens throughout the whole season. What matters is that next possession and getting that win. So he doesn't play me for the two games and in the fourth quarter they pull away."

:rollinLakers chemistry just got worst. This is a huge slap in the face of Matt Barnes tbh.

dunkman
02-12-2012, 09:44 AM
World Peace will soon explode . . . the Lakers signed him for too long tbh.

Giuseppe
02-12-2012, 09:54 AM
^That 3 though...

Jesus, Mother Mary & Joseph, eh?

tee, hee.

Calispursfan11
02-12-2012, 10:15 AM
What he's saying kinda makes sense. Plus, Mike Brown is a boob.

Sportcamper
02-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Artest is not used to a coach actually evaluating his playing time that’s all…Phil Jackson fell asleep during the games last year & that is why Artest was left in the game so long…BTW the Lakers can still amnesty Walton or Artest….

Brutalis
02-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Artest is a joke and nothing more than a body on the floor wasting a what could be talented young man with a future in the league's minutes.

... oh wait. The Lakers don't have that either.

Giuseppe
02-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Artest is a joke and nothing more than a body on the floor wasting a what could be talented young man with a future in the league's minutes.

... but, the moment Pierce convulsed a smidge & Artest took his life you knew you was fucked.

tee, hee.

WeNeedLength
02-12-2012, 12:10 PM
... but, the moment Pierce convulsed a smidge & Artest took his life you knew you was fucked.

tee, hee.

:blah

LnGrrrR
02-12-2012, 12:14 PM
I kinda get what Artest is saying. You can't be all stats. I think the Red Sox 2011 team proved that.

WeNeedLength
02-12-2012, 12:17 PM
I kinda get what Artest is saying. You can't be all stats. I think the Red Sox 2011 team proved that.

But he's clearly overrating himself. Him playing more in crunch time, or at all, will not pull the Lakers out of their current sucktitude...

JamStone
02-12-2012, 01:37 PM
I also agree with the general idea Artest is getting at. But when you're shooting 16% from three point range and 50% from the free throw line, you really have no room to talk. Stats can be deceiving, but when it's that bad, there isn't much argument that you're not just playing like shit.

ElNono
02-12-2012, 01:45 PM
There's truth to both sides here... it's true that Artest needs to up his game. Also true he's still a great, physical defender. What's also true is that Mike Brown panics, and that he's been so far unable to come up with a way to make the team score well. So, I understand what Artest is saying. He's far from the only low-production guy on the team, and he certainly has the edge when it comes to defense.

DeadlyDynasty
02-12-2012, 01:50 PM
twtw, doesn't matter

m>s
02-13-2012, 05:42 AM
even in his prime MWP didn't look that good a defender stat-wise but he was definitely the LAST guy any scorer wanted to face, n!gga plays aggressive D like he's in a fight and he never seems to lose

z0sa
02-13-2012, 05:46 AM
:rollin this is too good to be true

Spur_Fanatic
02-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Link?

This must be a Onion article or something.

Indazone
02-13-2012, 10:10 AM
Give him back to us! Artest for Ariza! Lakers bent the Rockets over on that one.

Leetonidas
02-13-2012, 10:35 AM

tee, hee.

This is 2012 you old fuck get with the times, World Peace is a pile of shit now

Killakobe81
02-13-2012, 11:35 AM

I agree, Lngrr. Doc for example, seems like a coach that has a great feel. Probably has a "stats guy" on staff, but I bet he goes with his gut more times than not.

Im not a stats guy. I do think they are helpful for preparation and scouting tendencies ...

There was a great line in "The Wire" about "juking stats". stats can be manipulated to support any type of theory or case you want to make. stats are flawed because the humans that compile them are flawed and usualy have some sort of theory they are trying to support with said stats. In the business world people use all sorts of data to push new software, business strategies and increase expenditures. In schools they manipulate attendance numbers and test scores for state funding and dont get me started with local, state and fed governments. The point being is someone that blindly trusts stats is just as narrow minded as the ones that ignore them completely ...

Leetonidas
02-13-2012, 11:37 AM
I agree, Lngrr. Doc for example, seems like a coach that has a great feel. Probably has a "stats guy" on staff, but I bet he goes with his gut more times than not.

Im not a stats guy. I do think they are helpful for preparation and scouting tendencies ...

There was a great line in "The Wire" about "juking stats". stats can be manipulated to support any type of theory or case you want to make. stats are flawed because the humans that compile them are flawed and usualy have some sort of theory they are trying to support with said stats. In the business world people use all sorts of data to push new software, business strategies and increase expenditures. In schools they manipulate attendance numbers and test scores for state funding and dont get me started with local, state and fed governments. The point being is someone that blindly trusts stats is just as narrow minded as the ones that ignore them completely ...

Agree with this. However, when you're shooting as abysmally from every portion of the floor as MWP is, you're definitely helping more than hurting. I can see his value in late game defensive situations or trying to contain a hot player but throughout the course of a game Ron is more likely to sink you than dig you out.

Killakobe81
02-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Agree with this. However, when you're shooting as abysmally from every portion of the floor as MWP is, you're definitely helping more than hurting. I can see his value in late game defensive situations or trying to contain a hot player but throughout the course of a game Ron is more likely to sink you than dig you out.

I was just agreeing with Lngrr. You dont need stats to see that Artest is killing the team on offense. I heard the other day he was shooting 17% from 3pt but I did NOT need to look that up I could of guessed under 20% just by seeing the games that I watched. Where feel comes in to play is for Brown to determine if his defense offsets his sucky offense ..