PDA

View Full Version : Sobering thought for Spurs fans

roycrikside
02-12-2012, 07:58 PM
We're 19-9 after a seven game winning streak and...

all we need to do is win 25 in a row more (32 consecutive overall) to match our record after 53 games last year. You know, the season that ended with us flaming out in the first round to an eighth seed.

Obviously there are different circumstances. Our best (or second-best, or third-best, depending on which boroughs of Spurstalk you frequent) player missed 22 games. And this team could very well be better overall when it's said and done thanks to Splitter, Leonard and Green.

I'm just saying, to quote Winston Wolf from Pulp Fiction, "Let's not suck each other's... well you know the quote.

Mel_13
02-12-2012, 08:02 PM
or learn to enjoy the journey

Obstructed_View
02-12-2012, 08:02 PM
all we need to do is win 25 in a row more (32 consecutive overall) to match our record after 53 games last year. You know, the season that ended with us flaming out in the first round to an eighth seed.

So you're basically saying that won loss record means nothing. Poof goes your sobering thought.

midnightpulp
02-12-2012, 08:27 PM
This team is much better than last year's. Still an underdog to get to the Finals, but better than last year's team nonetheless.

baseline bum
02-12-2012, 08:33 PM
What's nice is the Spurs have this record even with Jefferson in playoff form.

jestersmash
02-12-2012, 08:44 PM
What's nice is the Spurs have this record even with Jefferson in playoff form.

Well, he's only been in playoff form since Jan. 13 or so. He was in non-playoff mode for the first 10 or 11 games of the season.

HarlemHeat37
02-12-2012, 08:51 PM
I was a pessimist about last year's team, despite their sexy record..this year, I believe the Spurs have a realistic chance of winning the West..

Record comparisons are irrelevant, at this point IMO..this team is deeper, and more importantly, Splitter has improved enough to be considered a top-tier role playing big man, a massive addition for a playoff-style team..there's also the addition of Kawhi Leonard, another potential playoff style performer..

The Spurs have more options than last year, on the wing, if Jefferson flames out..instead of being forced to rely heavily on Jefferson, the Spurs have options in Jefferson/Neal/Green/Leonard, possibly even Anderson..

TD 21
02-12-2012, 09:15 PM
I was a pessimist about last year's team, despite their sexy record..this year, I believe the Spurs have a realistic chance of winning the West..

Record comparisons are irrelevant, at this point IMO..this team is deeper, and more importantly, Splitter has improved enough to be considered a top-tier role playing big man, a massive addition for a playoff-style team..there's also the addition of Kawhi Leonard, another potential playoff style performer..

The Spurs have more options than last year, on the wing, if Jefferson flames out..instead of being forced to rely heavily on Jefferson, the Spurs have options in Jefferson/Neal/Green/Leonard, possibly even Anderson..

I just started a thread essentially saying this . . . but also saying, all this good won't matter if they don't pull off a bold trade that I believe would give them a realistic chance at winning it all.

They need to not get sucked in by this team's success and think that Splitter, Leonard and Green (let's face it, one of them most likely wouldn't be in the playoff rotation) are enough or that the chemistry is too good and there's not enough practice time to incorporate a significant player. They need one final piece.

tmtcsc
02-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Sobering thought ? This team is better from top to bottom than last year's team. Forget the make-believe record stuff. Most people in this forum knew last year's record was a farce. Pop knew it too. Was it nice to see them win at such a high clip ? Sure, especially for season ticket holders. But I'd be really surprised if anyone shocked by the first round bounce at the hands of the Grizzlies. I promise you Memphis wasn't impressed by our record.

We practically have 3 new guys we didn't count on from last year: Che-ago, Green and Leonard who are contributing big time.

No worries, we're getting better and better and have more depth and youth now.

therealtruth
02-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Well, he's only been in playoff form since Jan. 13 or so. He was in non-playoff mode for the first 10 or 11 games of the season.

Manu's return should help him.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-12-2012, 09:37 PM

Obviously there are different circumstances. Our best (or second-best, or third-best, depending on which boroughs of Spurstalk you frequent) player missed 22 games. And this team could very well be better overall when it's said and done thanks to Splitter, Leonard and Green.

I'm just saying, to quote Winston Wolf from Pulp Fiction, "Let's not suck each other's... well you know the quote.

OTOH, if we go 30-8, we'll match last year's win percentage.

smrattler
02-12-2012, 09:45 PM
People, win percentages this year are going to be down, across the board. The schedule for all teams does not allow for quality performances throughout the season. Moreso, it allows for more injuries, especially since nobody had a long camp to get in shape after a long layoff.

Each season is different. Sometimes you get 8 teams in the West with 50+ wins. Sometimes .500 is good enough to get in. Doesn't matter, the teams that are playing the best in May will be the ones left standing.

Last year we peaked early, suffered a key injury late and stumbled into the playoffs. Hopefully this year it works out the opposite.

Seventyniner
02-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Damn, we're not on a 70-win pace this season. May as well jump off a bridge right now.

DesignatedT
02-12-2012, 10:56 PM
gosh this is terrible.

Blackjack
02-13-2012, 12:00 AM
I ain't a sober Spurs' fan.

And unlike what I'm drinkin, this is a watered-down league.

cantthinkofanything
02-13-2012, 12:19 AM

That's how you're going to beat em Butch. They keep underestmating you.

Solid D
02-13-2012, 12:48 AM
I smell a sobering thought as early as Toronto.

maddnezz
02-13-2012, 01:34 AM
Your a debbie downer. dont be a spurs fan. pick another team to woe is me about. Damn!:depressed Im so sick of all these so called fans bitchin all the time! Get more pussy or get the fuck outta here, we dont wanna hear your so called sobering thoughts, go ahead and inhale some anthrax I mean no team is gonna be perfect so get over it!:whine

Obstructed_View
02-13-2012, 02:08 AM
The record's a double-edged sword. When many people complained about Splitter's lack of integration and the west's glut of big bodies, many fans simply pointed to the team's record with some variation of "he must be doing something right". I prefer this year where the biggest failure of the coaching staff is Corey Joseph, cancelled out by the development of Gary Neal.

Brazil
02-13-2012, 10:17 AM
We are a decent big away to be contenders

Gagnrath
02-13-2012, 11:22 AM
We are a decent big away to be contenders

Hum doesn't that remind you of say 2009, and 2010, and 2011? Damn..... Its almost like someone forgot to include the idea of needing at least 3 quality bigs to win in the play-offs.

jgome21
02-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Eh, not too worried about comparisons from last season. i think we have a completely diff team this season. I think our young guys off the bench bring a whole lot more to the table compared to last season.

Whisky Dog
02-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Last season, won with threes and scoring while interior defense was terrible.

This season, had rough patches but have started locking teams down, especially in 2nd half.

Much rather have this years results so far.

tenbeersbold
02-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Yup the D is way up,and the youngins will bring the fire.
No way we get punked like last year w/ Green and Neal comin into their own.

Someone wants to bully this time we'll be ready.
Green especially,he might make some bonehead moves but he knows when to to be a bone-head to the right guy on the opposing team ;)

That was sorely lacking in the Memphis series

Dex
02-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Spurs peaked at the completely wrong time last season. They were great to start, tailed off towards the end of the season, and flamed out at the playoffs.

So frankly, I'm fine with this season (and our current record) being nothing like last seasons, as long as we make the playoffs and are playing good ball when that time comes.

therealtruth
02-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Yup the D is way up,and the youngins will bring the fire.
No way we get punked like last year w/ Green and Neal comin into their own.

Someone wants to bully this time we'll be ready.
Green especially,he might make some bonehead moves but he knows when to to be a bone-head to the right guy on the opposing team ;)

That was sorely lacking in the Memphis series

Dice even called them out on it last year when he said they were playing like a bunch of wussies. One of the soft minded individuals (George Hill) is gone.

TampaDude
02-13-2012, 07:54 PM
OKC is the only team in the West that can take 4 of 7 from the Spurs if the Big 3 are all healthy.

Miami is another matter...but I think we take them in 7. :hat

ThaBigFundamental21
02-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Word. Miami is very good, but they are similar to the Spurs last year in the sense that they are a regular season team. Miami isn't really built for the playoffs. The like us have a serious lack of quality big men, specifically a Center. Hasleem is very solid, but isn't big. Anthony is trash. And of course there is Bosh, but he is a finesse PF.

TD 21
02-13-2012, 08:34 PM
OKC is the only team in the West that can take 4 of 7 from the Spurs if the Big 3 are all healthy.

Miami is another matter...but I think we take them in 7. :hat

I don't get the obsession with the Thunder. It's as if people just decided it's "their time", with very little to back it up. Head to head, the Spurs have handled them with relative ease the past year and a half, the stats don't suggest there's any sort of a gulf between the two teams and they don't have the personnel to exploit the Spurs biggest weakness. Yet people just have this idea that they're in another league. I don't get it.

The Truth #6
02-13-2012, 08:36 PM
I recall some close games with the Thunder that we squeeked out, but perhaps I'm thinking mainly of the game where Manu had that amazing diving out of bounds highlight towards the end of the game.

HarlemHeat37
02-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Spurs actually match up well with the Thunder, it would be a toss-up in a 7-game series IMO, barring the interference of officiating(which is probably a given, considering OKC gets more calls than any team in the NBA)..

There aren't any specific teams in the West that I'm scared of..I'm more afraid of injuries to Duncan/Ginobili, and Popovich's rotation in the playoffs(particularly in regards to Splitter/Blair/Bonner)..

The East is another story..at this moment, I'm not convinced the Spurs can handle a defensive showdown against Miami or Chicago..the Spurs have not done well against physical teams, the last few seasons..

Solid D
02-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Word. Miami is very good, but they are similar to the Spurs last year in the sense that they are a regular season team. Miami isn't really built for the playoffs. The like us have a serious lack of quality big men, specifically a Center. Hasleem is very solid, but isn't big. Anthony is trash. And of course there is Bosh, but he is a finesse PF.

Don't kid yourself about Miami. They took out 3 good teams in 5 games each and went 6 games with the Mavs in the Finals....in their first year together.

I believe they are as tough a playoff team as anyone will face this season....in their 2nd year together.

Spursfanfromafar
02-13-2012, 10:42 PM
Don't kid yourself about Miami. They took out 3 good teams in 5 games each and went 6 games with the Mavs in the Finals....in their first year together.

I believe they are as tough a playoff team as anyone will face this season....in their 2nd year together.

Indeed. And they are the favorites this year, IMO. The team seems to have cruised through this season with a semi-injured Wade and LeBron seems to have ironed out his flaws as well - a better post game and more cohesion with his team-mates.

I am not so gung ho about the Chicago hype OTOH. And the rest of the East are pretenders rather than contenders.

OKC, Miami are the favorites...and then there is second rung with a bevy of teams..including the Spurs.

therealtruth
02-13-2012, 11:32 PM

I think Miami ran out of gas getting to the end. Their lack of bench depth caught up with them. If Lebron plays anything like he did in the previous rounds it's probably a different series.

LoneStarState'sPride
02-13-2012, 11:58 PM
No way in hell LAL takes four of seven away from OKC this year. Not a fucking chance.