PDA

View Full Version : '05 Revisited?

TD 21
02-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Heading into 04-05, the Spurs, for the only time in their illustrious history, were deemed the favorites to win the championship. This current incarnation doesn't even garner any questions about whether they're still contenders -- though you can bet that if they continue to look like one of the three or four best teams in the league, those questions are coming.

Despite being the favorites in '05, the Spurs pulled off the biggest in season trade of the Duncan era, when they shipped longtime Spur, Rose, to the Knicks, along with two 1st rounds picks (which turned out to be Lee and Collins) for Mohammed and Brewer. Whether they'd have won the championship had they not made the trade, is open to debate. What's not is that the front office didn't seem to think so. Yes, there were multiple reasons for the trade, but ultimately, if they thought it would have made them worse, they wouldn't have done it. Not when they were a prime contender for the championship.

Fast forward to this season. The West is as wide open as it's been in recent memory and the Spurs would appear to have as good a chance as any to emerge. The question is this: If all the front office can do is acquire someone who may not necessarily be a whole lot better than Blair -- but has the potential be a better fit -- should they pull the trigger, even if it significantly eats into their off season cap space? Or should they value the chemistry/corporate knowledge of this team, not make that type of a trade and hope they can sign a decent big who get's bought out post trade deadline? And what do you think they will do?

To me, it's a no brainer. They've got to go all out to pull off a trade that fixes the myriad issues with the big rotation (Blair) and clears out the logjam on the wings (Jefferson) and if it takes including their 1st or a future 1st that goes on to become a lottery pick, so be it. In '05, one of the 1sts ended up being Lee, but no one cares because they won the championship. They'd be foolish to let this opportunity slip through their fingers and naive to think these glaring issues won't come back to bite them at some point. Maybe they can survive the West without making a move, but if they're not interested in settling for being the first loser, it's more than likely going to take a bold move.

lmbebo
02-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Not sure there is a GM out there as dumb I. Thomas.

But it would be nice to ship blair and/or jefferson out.

DAF86
02-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Playing a 6'6'' bigman is the biggest weakness of this team. It should be taken care of.

phxspurfan
02-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Playing a 6'6'' bigman is the biggest weakness of this team. It should be taken care of.

This. I really hope this F.O. lets the mistakes of the past go (inaction, non-action, whatever you call it) and recognizes this is the end of the window. They need to go out and get one or two solid bigs to give this team some more length and defense, and then we'll be good to go.

therealtruth
02-13-2012, 12:32 AM
In '05 they traded a skilled undersized power forward for a defensive minded center. If they can replace Bonner/Blair for a defensive big man I think they should do it.

timvp
02-13-2012, 12:37 AM
That they went after Kenyon Martin was a good sign that the Spurs know they should try to bring in another big. Plus, there's no way they can go the rest of the way with four bigs on the roster, which again points to the Spurs trying to do something.

I'd gladly support a trade that made the Spurs better now even if it took away potential salary cap space in the future. Unfortunately, the Spurs really don't have many assets. Blair is difficult to trade because of his injury concerns. RJ is untradeable. JA has no trade value. A future first rounder could be decent bait but few teams are itching to let go of a capable bigman for a future draft choice.

Arcadian
02-13-2012, 12:38 AM
This sounds good, but who are these defensive centers who are going to come and save the day that you have in mind? What centers are available who would make the Spurs better?

DPG21920
02-13-2012, 12:46 AM
That they went after Kenyon Martin was a good sign that the Spurs know they should try to bring in another big. Plus, there's no way they can go the rest of the way with four bigs on the roster, which again points to the Spurs trying to do something.

I'd gladly support a trade that made the Spurs better now even if it took away potential salary cap space in the future. Unfortunately, the Spurs really don't have many assets. Blair is difficult to trade because of his injury concerns. RJ is untradeable. JA has no trade value. A future first rounder could be decent bait but few teams are itching to let go of a capable bigman for a future draft choice.

Kawhi, Neal, Green, Blair, first round picks. Have to hope something out of that can net a big man.

roycrikside
02-13-2012, 12:49 AM
Even if they trade for a big, do any of you have confidence that Pop will figure out that the odd man out from the big man rotation should be Blair? There's just as good a chance, IMO, that he'd use the trade as an excuse to sit Splitter.

phxspurfan
02-13-2012, 12:57 AM
This sounds good, but who are these defensive centers who are going to come and save the day that you have in mind? What centers are available who would make the Spurs better?

I took a look at the bottom teams of the East (since I'd assume teams in the West are less likely to make trades with us...not sure if that's a good assumption or not). Either way, here is what I came up with without looking at salaries. These are all guys that I think would crack Pop's rotation and contribute in rebounds/defense/blocked shots.

Possible PF/C acquisitions:

New Jersey Nets (8-21)
13 Mehmet Okur C 6-11 260 05/26/1979 Yalova, Turkey 9
43 Kris Humphries F 6-9 235 02/06/1985 Minnesota 7
27 Johan Petro C 7-0 247 01/27/1986 Paris, France 6
33 Shelden Williams F-C 6-9 250 10/21/1983 Duke 5
11 Brook Lopez C 7-0 265 04/01/1988 Stanford 3

Detroit Pistons (8-21)
33 Jonas Jerebko F 6-10 231 03/02/1987 Kinna, Sweden 1
54 Jason Maxiell F 6-7 260 02/18/1983 Cincinnati 6
31 Charlie Villanueva F 6-11 232 08/24/1984 Connecticut 6

Charlotte Bobcats (3-24)
7 DeSagana Diop C 7-0 280 01/30/1982 Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, VA) 10
12 Tyrus Thomas F 6-10 225 08/17/1986 Louisiana State 5
32 Boris Diaw C-F 6-8 235 04/16/1982 Cormeille-en-Parisis, France 8

Washington Wizards (6-22)
21 Ronny Turiaf C 6-10 245 01/13/1983 Gonzaga 6
7 Andray Blatche F 6-11 260 08/22/1986 South Kent Prep (CT) 6

Toronto Raptors (9-20)
34 Aaron Gray C 7-0 270 12/07/1984 Pittsburgh 4
15 Amir Johnson C-F 6-9 210 05/01/1987 Westchester HS (Los Angeles) 6
21 Jamaal Magloire C 6-11 265 05/21/1978 Kentucky 11

Cleveland Cavaliers (10-16)
4 Antawn Jamison F 6-9 235 06/12/1976 North Carolina 13
17 Anderson Varejao C 6-11 260 09/28/1982 Santa Teresa, Brazil 7

stephen jackson
02-13-2012, 01:01 AM
i just dont see it happening weve been trying get a big for years and failed...

DPG21920
02-13-2012, 01:03 AM
The more I think about it, the more I think Amir Johnson would not only be a good fit (as others have said as well), but a good target. With Jonas Valanciunas coming over likely next year, I can see him being the odd man out and I think/hope the Spurs make some sort of run at him.

mingus
02-13-2012, 01:18 AM
i think the emergence of defensive hounds Leonard and Green as legit perimiter defenders has helped our prospects tremendously. before the start of the season there were 2 deficiencies: perimiter d and lack of quality bigs. half the problem has been solved. if the latter gets shored up before the end of the season, a "big" question, I think we have as good a shot as any one.

but the way Duncan and Tp have looked (and Manu before the injury) it looks like we will ahve a viable team for next year as well. next year is it. seem to say that every year, but there is not saying it again after next year.

Ice009
02-13-2012, 01:57 AM
Kawhi, Neal, Green, Blair, first round picks. Have to hope something out of that can net a big man.

So you'd trade any of those guys for a big man?

Personally, I would not trade Kawhi or Neal.

Obstructed_View
02-13-2012, 02:15 AM
Probably gotta give up a first round pick in the upcoming draft, which given the talent pool could be someone useful. Pretty much have to decide if this team is good enough to win now with one more piece and commit.

will_spurs
02-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Varejao is hurt.

Kaman (NOH) seems to be on the trading block, I wish we could just swap him straight up for RJ.

BG_Spurs_Fan
02-13-2012, 09:46 AM
There's exactly the same chance Miami would send LeBron for RJ as NOH trading Kaman for him.

K-State Spur
02-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Green only has filler value.

Blair's injury concerns mean you'd have to trade him below his actual production value.

Neal might be the one that makes the most sense. But he's another guy who probably has more value to the Spurs than he could net in a deal. You'd have to get back a pretty stout player because moving Neal could single handedly convert the bench from a strength to a weakness.

Kawhi does have value - but can't move him unless it's part of a blockbuster deal (and he doesn't have THAT much value). If you trade him for a big, you've solved one issue by creating a larger one elsewhere (versatile perimeter defender).

DPG21920
02-13-2012, 11:01 AM

Blair's injury concerns mean you'd have to trade him below his actual production value.

Neal might be the one that makes the most sense. But he's another guy who probably has more value to the Spurs than he could net in a deal. You'd have to get back a pretty stout player because moving Neal could single handedly convert the bench from a strength to a weakness.

Kawhi does have value - but can't move him unless it's part of a blockbuster deal (and he doesn't have THAT much value). If you trade him for a big, you've solved one issue by creating a larger one elsewhere (versatile perimeter defender).

Diagree on most accounts.

will_spurs
02-13-2012, 11:05 AM
DPG, care to explain why? Green and Leonard are rookies and of little value (either because their salary is only a filler in a deal, or because teams would rather draft this year than get rookies). Neal is, outside of the big 3, the only shooter and the only offensive contributor during the playoffs (until Splitter plays more than garbage minutes, at least). And Blair, well, actual production value, below actual production value, it's all the same: he is worth nothing right now.

That's the issue of drafting too well: all the players tend to be more useful to the Spurs than what the Spurs could get in return in a trade...

K-State Spur
02-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Diagree on most accounts.

Well, you definitely have a point there...

Other than Neal, I'm not really sure how those points are even really debatable.

Green's been better than we expected this year, but nobody is giving up much for a 7 ppg/3 rpg, 39%/36%/77% wing who plays decent, but not spectacular defense. You can get those guys for free if you look hard enough...we know that because we just did with Green.

Blair's value is still hampered by the same thing that caused him to drop like a stone draft night. With each passing year, teams are going to be even more concerned that he is nearing the end point.

Kawhi does have some large value...but to us as much as anybody else. He is already our best perimeter defender since Bowen. Trade him for a big, and suddenly we have a need for a long perimeter defender even more than our current need for a big is. We know that this is hard to find because we've been trying to do it for 3 years with virtually no success. We had to trade our best young scorer for a semi-raw rookie in order to obtain that.

Do explain.

DPG21920
02-13-2012, 12:23 PM
:lol I find it funny when people in here say stuff like "do explain". I'm on my phone did not want to type out a long response. Will when I get home.

DAF86
02-13-2012, 12:46 PM
If only Dice wouldn't have retired.

K-State Spur
02-13-2012, 01:13 PM
:lol I find it funny when people in here say stuff like "do explain". I'm on my phone did not want to type out a long response. Will when I get home.

I'm supposed to know you're on your phone & what mood you're in as to how much to type?

Probably easier to just save your whole response, including the initial disagreement, until you have time to back it.

phxspurfan
02-13-2012, 02:09 PM
:lol at the thought that we could get something for our bench scrubs. They are far more valuable to this team than they are thought of around the league. Most NBA players have far more athleticism and talent than the guys we have.

Any deal for a big man of material value would have to involve Jefferson and or Blair. It's plain and simple. All of the rest are either worthless except as cap space/filler or are untradeable (big 3, Splitter, Leonard).

DAF86
02-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Guys like Neal, Green and even Bonner have more trade value than RJ and Blair right now.

phxspurfan
02-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Guys like Neal, Green and even Bonner have more trade value than RJ and Blair right now.

Regardless of their recent struggles, I think Jefferson and Blair have more name brand value and can help put butts in seats for a struggling team. We all know the casual NBA fan doesn't care about teamwork and crap, they just want to go out and say they saw <insert mainstream name here> play live.

DAF86
02-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Everybody knows now that RJ is an overpaid scrub, Corey Joseph has more trade value than him right now, and yes I'm beign serious.

DPG21920
02-13-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm supposed to know you're on your phone & what mood you're in as to how much to type?

Probably easier to just save your whole response, including the initial disagreement, until you have time to back it.

Relax, girl. You aren't supposed to know Im on the phone. I just find it funny when people get all serious and uppity with the "you have a point there" & "please explain..." internet lingo. Not that critical. I even do the same thing I'm laughing at myself ocassionally.

You have been around so you know I'll answer questions and back what I say, I just thought I'd write a quick response since you quoted me.

DPG21920
02-13-2012, 02:35 PM
DPG is consulting bleacherreport.com and timvp's post history in order to spend the next several hours copy-and-pasting a hopefully coherent response

Scro, are you going to come as this troll account when we have a gtg in d-town?

K-State Spur
02-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Relax, girl.

I see what you did there.

will_spurs
02-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Everybody knows now that RJ is an overpaid scrub, Corey Joseph has more trade value than him right now, and yes I'm beign serious.

One team's problem is another team's treasure. RJ will serve his purpose when he gets amnestied, and you will see that he finds a team pretty quickly after that, just not at the same price.

phxspurfan
02-13-2012, 03:09 PM
One team's problem is another team's treasure. RJ will serve his purpose when he gets amnestied, and you will see that he finds a team pretty quickly after that, just not at the same price.

This. I'm pretty sure RJ can still fill it up if you give him the ball and let him work in a free flowing offense. At least for awhile, while RC drives away counting his millions! :downspin:

DAF86
02-13-2012, 05:39 PM
This. I'm pretty sure RJ can still fill it up if you give him the ball and let him work in a free flowing offense. At least for awhile, while RC drives away counting his millions! :downspin:

Teams wil take a risk with him but not at his current price.

DPG21920
02-13-2012, 06:22 PM
I see what you did there.

:lol I hope you know I was joking.

Ok, back to this. To preface everything, we first have to look at the target player for these players. When I said what I did, it was with the understanding this wasn't for a blockbuster deal, but more a player in the Amir Johnson range.

I agree somewhat with what you say if you are speaking strictly "contracts" because many of the players I listed are productive role players on what is arguably the best bench in the league on really cheap contracts. So in that regard, most of them have limited value.

Where I disagree is with regards to their basketball impact and attractiveness to other teams. I don't believe Green only has filler value (I'm assuming you meant that not with regards to his contract, but talent). I think Green is a talented guy and even if what you say is somewhat true (that these players are more valuable to the Spurs than other teams due to the system) there are examples of teams paying Spurs role players well and them not panning out because they seem to value Spurs players (likely a symptom of the respect the Spurs FO garners around the league). A guy like Green, whom the Spurs are high on and made it known, will have value to other teams. Other teams value the Spurs ability to scout very highly (which is part of the logic why I disagree on most of what you said) and while you may quote Danny's average's, his per minute production is solid and he has developed two critical skills: 3 point shooting (he was always pretty good) and defense (the merits of how good or where he excels withstanding; he's a solid defender). Even though we know a player like Green may be more valuable to the Spurs, other teams still find them attractive because they did well with the Spurs.

I don't think Blair's injury concerns are a major consideration at all, at least with regards to a trade right now. He's missed one game only in his career, has performed pretty damn well on both offense and rebounding and posted above average stats on most every advanced stat. I believe the fact he's played 2 years, going on 3, with no health issues, alleviates many health concerns and as much as he might not be a great fit for the Spurs, he is a productive player with room to improve and could be an attractive piece to another team IMO.

With Neal/Kawhi, I have them in somewhat of the same boat (Kawhi being more valuable however) in that you only move them if you get a big back that gives you by all logical accounts a legit shot to contend. I am of the opinion that if a player like that becomes available (thinking Milsap, Al Jefferson, Varejao before hurt) you should not hesitate to move either of them. Both Neal and Kawhi have very solid value because of friendly contracts (which hurts and helps the Spurs) and because of talent. Just because we don't want to give them up or would require more to do so, doesn't make them any less valuable assets the Spurs have. I also disagree that moving Kawhi for a big would create a larger hole. Spurs have more depth on the wings than ever before and the hole at PF is more glaring than the wings if Kawhi was gone for a quality big in return. If it's for a big like Amir, then no, IMO the short term gain isn't worth it. But with the depth the Spurs have at wing/on the bench in general, combined with the fact we don't know if Kawhi will be ready for the playoffs and even get minutes, the Spurs have to move him for a big if that's what it takes to give themselves a legit shot.

K-State Spur
02-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Fair enough - I'm not budging from my initial stance, but you do raise some good points.

TD 21
02-13-2012, 08:27 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think Amir Johnson would not only be a good fit (as others have said as well), but a good target. With Jonas Valanciunas coming over likely next year, I can see him being the odd man out and I think/hope the Spurs make some sort of run at him.

I still maintain he's their best bet and that the Raptors are the one team I could see taking Jefferson. What if the Raptors insisted on the 1st being included, with Blair and Jefferson. Would you still do it? I'd do it, so long as they threw in their 2nd or Alabi.

I know it's a deep draft, but I really don't care about the 1st this season. This organization has quantity of young assets as is (and Johnson is still young). Not just the guys on the team, but overseas. Yeah, they're projects, but Bertans, Richards and to a lesser extent, De Colo, give them three potential NBA players. The odds of them getting a markedly better prospect than that picking somewhere in the mid 20's aren't great. And even if they can, I don't care. Not if they can improve their chances at a championship, while not mortgaging their future. That should be the goal.

Unfortunately, I don't have confidence in them pulling off a trade like that. I think they'll read too much into the recent surge defensively, overvalue the chemistry/corporate knowledge of this team (especially because of the condensed schedule/lack of practice time), stand pat -- other than maybe trading Anderson for a 2nd or a depth big -- and hope that a Turiaf or someone of that ilk springs free as a post deadline buyout.

timvp, would you do that if the trade was for a big who may not necessarily be a whole lot better than Blair, but would probably be a better fit? It could be Johnson, Thomas (his contract would probably scare them more than his personality), Thompson, Morris, whoever. Of course you would if it's a clear upgrade; anyone would. But they're not getting a Varejao, Jefferson, etc.

DPG21920
02-13-2012, 08:32 PM
I still maintain he's their best bet and that the Raptors are the one team I could see taking Jefferson. What if the Raptors insisted on the 1st being included, with Blair and Jefferson. Would you still do it? I'd do it, so long as they threw in their 2nd or Alabi.

I know it's a deep draft, but I really don't care about the 1st this season. This organization has quantity of young assets as is (and Johnson is still young). Not just the guys on the team, but overseas. Yeah, they're projects, but Bertans, Richards and to a lesser extent, De Colo, give them three potential NBA players. The odds of them getting a markedly better prospect than that picking somewhere in the mid 20's aren't great. And even if they can, I don't care. Not if they can improve their chances at a championship, while not mortgaging their future. That should be the goal.

Unfortunately, I don't have confidence in them pulling off a trade like that. I think they'll read too much into the recent surge defensively, overvalue the chemistry/corporate knowledge of this team (especially because of the condensed schedule/lack of practice time), stand pat -- other than maybe trading Anderson for a 2nd or a depth big -- and hope that a Turiaf or someone of that ilk springs free as a post deadline buyout.

timvp, would you do that if the trade was for a big who may not necessarily be a whole lot better than Blair, but would probably be a better fit? It could be Johnson, Thomas (his contract would probably scare them more than his personality), Thompson, Morris, whoever. Of course you would if it's a clear upgrade; anyone would. But they're not getting a Varejao, Jefferson, etc.

There is absolutely no question I give up this years first rounder if it means you can get a PF and dump RJ. That's easy IMO. I don't think they will take RJ, but the Spurs shouldn't need to force that in order to get Amir.

TD 21
02-13-2012, 08:43 PM
There is absolutely no question I give up this years first rounder if it means you can get a PF and dump RJ. That's easy IMO. I don't think they will take RJ, but the Spurs shouldn't need to force that in order to get Amir.

I think it's a no brainer too. Maybe they wouldn't take Jefferson, but I think they're most likely to out of any team. The Spurs would have to force that to get Johnson, otherwise they couldn't make it work financially.

DPG21920
02-13-2012, 08:47 PM
I would imagine Bonner + first rounder should be good enough for Amir (plus filler like JA).

HarlemHeat37
02-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Amir Johnson isn't worth Blair and a first..I'm not a fan of Blair's, and I'd like to see Amir with the Spurs, but that's shitty value IMO(I'm also aware that this may be the Spurs' last chance to content)..

Spurs wouldn't need to give up both Blair and a 1st..I haven't looked at the salaries, but the Raptors would take Blair, without the 1st(possibly including a 3rd team..again, I haven't looked at the salaries)..

DPG21920
02-13-2012, 08:49 PM
It's not about the third team because TOR is under the cap by 4M or so I believe, but the Spurs couldn't bring in Amir's 5.5M without sending at least ~4.5M out.

DPG21920
02-13-2012, 08:51 PM
I don't love Amir's contract considering Tim is off the books next year, Blair is only partially guaranteed and the Spurs can amnesty RJ. That is a lot of flexibility in the off-season, but they need to make a run now.

HarlemHeat37
02-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Spurs won't take the risk..

Any potential acquisition must be a player that Popovich will trust, especially if X player has a significant contract..

Amir Johnson is an erratic, inconsistent player that doesn't know the system..Pop would not trust him, therefore, I doubt they would absorb his contract..

If the Spurs make a move, it'll be for a veteran big..McDyess is possible, if he has any interest IMO..Turiaf is another possibility, which I wouldn't mind..

SpurNation
02-13-2012, 08:56 PM
The question is this: If all the front office can do is acquire someone who may not necessarily be a whole lot better than Blair -- but has the potential be a better fit -- should they pull the trigger, even if it significantly eats into their off season cap space? Or should they value the chemistry/corporate knowledge of this team, not make that type of a trade and hope they can sign a decent big who get's bought out post trade deadline? And what do you think they will do?

To me, it's a no brainer. They've got to go all out to pull off a trade that fixes the myriad issues with the big rotation (Blair) and clears out the logjam on the wings (Jefferson) and if it takes including their 1st or a future 1st that goes on to become a lottery pick, so be it.

Agreed with trying to make a trade. Disagree at all cost as highlighted in bold.

IF a trade were to affect the bolded areas...it would need to be for somebody that isn't just...
acquire someone who may not necessarily be a whole lot better than Blair

TD 21
02-13-2012, 08:56 PM
I would imagine Bonner + first rounder should be good enough for Amir.

I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work financially. They could easily fix that, either by including Anderson, or whatever big they have on a 10-day at the time. But the reality is, the Spurs aren't trading Bonner, unless it's in a blockbuster, no brainer type trade.

Harlem, you're forgetting about Jefferson. The 1st would be for getting them to take him. I actually think they might do it without a 1st, though. I'm just asking, would it still be a no brainer if they did insist on the 1st? For me, it would be. I don't care about overpaying. That's the whole point of this thread. Technically, if you look at the Rose trade, the Spurs overpaid. But no one cares, because they improved their team and won the championship that season. They also got out of a bloated long term contract in the process.

TDMVPDPOY
02-13-2012, 08:57 PM

he hasnt attacked the rim this season so far...

DPG21920
02-13-2012, 08:59 PM
I agree, but he is one of the more viable candidates if the Spurs are still in win-now mode. Trades will be extremely tough to come by because of the contracts on the Spurs either being really small, or bad like RJ.

DPG21920
02-13-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work financially. They could easily fix that, either by including Anderson, or whatever big they have on a 10-day at the time. But the reality is, the Spurs aren't trading Bonner, unless it's in a blockbuster, no brainer type trade.

Harlem, you're forgetting about Jefferson. The 1st would be for getting them to take him. I actually think they might do it without a 1st, though. I'm just asking, would it still be a no brainer if they did insist on the 1st? For me, it would be. I don't care about overpaying. That's the whole point of this thread. Technically, if you look at the Rose trade, the Spurs overpaid. But no one cares, because they improved their team and won the championship that season. They also got out of a bloated long term contract in the process.

Ya, I made the edit on the filler when I posted, but the point remains. I don't see why you think Bonner is untouchable unless in a blockbuster. I think if they can get a better starter, they will move either Blair or Bonner because Tiago can cover up for which ever one is left.

I don't think a first rounder will be enough to take on RJ. Maybe I'm wrong, because Amir is owed 17.5M (after this year) and RJ is only owed 21M (and he comes off the books a year earlier) so maybe that first rounder is worth it.

HarlemHeat37
02-13-2012, 09:03 PM
I would make the trade, if I believed Pop would trust Amir Johnson..

I'd be shocked if it actually occurred, though..

Both Blair and Amir are low-IQ, erratic players..however, Blair has been learning this system for years, and has developed chemistry with Ginobili, Duncan, etc..Popovich can tolerate Blair's mistakes, because he knows the system and has the chemistry..

It would not be the case for Johnson, Pop would probably turn to small ball, following Amir's first mistake..

There's virtually no chance of Bonner being traded for a young role player IMO..Pop isn't giving up on Bonner..

DPG21920
02-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Amir for RJ+1st rounder works straight up.

DPG21920
02-13-2012, 09:07 PM
I would imagine it would be something more like Amir/Kleiza for RJ/Blair/first rounder this year

TD 21
02-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Ya, I made the edit on the filler when I posted, but the point remains. I don't see why you think Bonner is untouchable unless in a blockbuster. I think if they can get a better starter, they will move either Blair or Bonner because Tiago can cover up for which ever one is left.

I don't think a first rounder will be enough to take on RJ. Maybe I'm wrong, because Amir is owed 17.5M (after this year) and RJ is only owed 21M (and he comes off the books a year earlier) so maybe that first rounder is worth it.

Because the Spurs value him too much and I don't see how they could replace him in season. Then there would be the matter of changing too much. It's just not happening.

The thing is, the Raptors wouldn't add a ton of salary and what they'd add wouldn't be an issue, with their cap space and willingness to spend. In other words, Jefferson is an albatross for the Spurs, but he wouldn't be for them.

You're right, they may want the Spurs to take Kleiza, though. I'd still do it. Even though he's really more of a three than a four, he could serve as the fifth big and give them another big who can shoot.

I think Harlem's got it right, though. I think they'd view it as a risk and one they're not willing to make and Johnson is erratic and a foul machine. Acquiring him in the off season is different. They'd have time to indoctrinate him into their culture and system. Doing it now would be a greater undertaking. And they probably look at the West and think they've got their best chance since '08, without making a move. They probably also think they'll have a good chance at luring a veteran buyout post trade deadline.

HarlemHeat37
02-13-2012, 09:23 PM
100% agree on the Spurs waiting for a post-buyout veteran..IMO, they're going to pursue it more intensely than ever, realizing that they could be a piece away..

I'd be surprised if Popovich truly believes in Dejuan Blair for the playoffs, tbh..I can't imagine that they would be content with the current crop of big men, even if the potential acquisition is just minor(Turiaf, Pryzbilla, etc)..

SpurNation
02-14-2012, 07:45 AM
100% agree on the Spurs waiting for a post-buyout veteran..IMO, they're going to pursue it more intensely than ever, realizing that they could be a piece away..

I'd be surprised if Popovich truly believes in Dejuan Blair for the playoffs, tbh..I can't imagine that they would be content with the current crop of big men, even if the potential acquisition is just minor(Turiaf, Pryzbilla, etc)..

This. Too many unforeseen positives being developed this year. The Dallas game (loss) gave notice (and birth) to a surprising array of choices that Pop probably didn't count on before that game.

If the team were sitting below .500 or looking unlikely to advance deep into the the playoffs...a trade might have been considered. At this point...with what's brought them this far sans Ginobili...Spurs probably leave well enough alone and not interfere with the chemistry and personnel bound being established.

Which I believe will help the Spurs better entice top free agents this summer to considering the Spurs if they see the team has a future with it's youth and veteran corp.

Ice009
02-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Give me Joel and Ronny Turiaf.

therealtruth
02-14-2012, 04:32 PM
This team has always had 3 decent defensive bigs in addition to TD when they won. In '05 Mohammed, Nesterovic, Horry. In '07 Oberto, Elson, Horry. Right now they have only Splitter. I think if they can at least acquire one more defensive big that will help. Ideally you would want two more.