PDA

View Full Version : Sign In: I don't know if I said this before but I'm calling it now

phxspurfan
02-12-2012, 09:33 PM
The Spurs will win the championship this year. The defense is getting where it needs to be and the team is just so balanced.

I have felt it for about a month now. The Manu injury was a major test and the Spurs have passed with flying colors. The RRT record will be 9-0 and Duncan will win one for the thumb.

I had this same feeling back in '07 as well. Go Spurs Go!

Cosign below if you also believe!

DAF86
02-12-2012, 09:35 PM
I believe they are the top team to win the West but nobody is taking the championship away from Lebron this season.

TDomination
02-12-2012, 09:42 PM
I will say this.

We will win the championship this year as long as we have EVERY PLAYER HEALTHY!

The last time Manu was 100% going into the postseason and stayed 100% throughout the postseason was in 2007, our last Championship.

Manu in playoffs...
08 - Ankle injury in Lakers series
09 - out entire playoffs
10 - broken nose (stupid Dirk), wore mask rest of playoffs.
11 - arm, missed a game, wasn't truly the same.

phxspurfan
02-12-2012, 09:42 PM
I believe they are the top team to win the West but nobody is taking the championship away from Lebron this season.

Dude, you should know this by now...championship is awarded to the best team, not the best player. The best teams in the league are the ones that can execute in playoff-style games with half court sets, not relying on spectacular plays on full court alley oop passes. LeBron can try whatever he wants and it may work for 2 or 3 games but defense and teamwork wins above all. The Spurs are a well-oiled, better-coached machine. Spurs in 7.

Brutalis
02-12-2012, 09:45 PM
I will say this.

The last time Manu was 100% going into the postseason and stayed 100% throughout the postseason was in 2007, our last Championship.

Manu in playoffs...
09 - out entire playoffs
Either Tim or Tony were banged up those years too.

phxspurfan
02-12-2012, 09:46 PM
I will say this.

Manu in playoffs...
09 - out entire playoffs

That's another reason why I love this year for this team so much. The big challenge came early, and they got through it. And not only did they get through it, but several players stepped up and look like clutch performers. Add guys like Splitter, Green and Leonard and Neal to a cast including the Big Three, and you have a team with almost no holes. I imagine the opposing coaches in the playoffs will go through a few headaches and long nights trying to game plan for flawless 48 minutes basketball against this team.

The best bench in the league, the best PF in the league (still), one of the most underrated and clutch PGs, and one of the best closers in bball history (Manu) = :lobt2:

phxspurfan
02-12-2012, 09:47 PM
Also, what gives me major hope is the Lakers suck and don't have a good team (unless they make some crazy trades) and the Mavs don't have the swagger they had last year. Let's hope both of those continue and we get a couple lucky matchups instead of the crap matchup we got in round 1 last year.

DAF86
02-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Dude, you should know this by now...championship is awarded to the best team, not the best player. The best teams in the league are the ones that can execute in playoff-style games with half court sets, not relying on spectacular plays on full court alley oop passes. LeBron can try whatever he wants and it may work for 2 or 3 games but defense and teamwork wins above all. The Spurs are a well-oiled, better-coached machine. Spurs in 7.

The Heat are the best defensive team in the NBA, defense wins championships. Besides they have enough individual talent to provide enough half-court offense to win.

tmtcsc
02-12-2012, 10:05 PM

He has to have a Championship before someone can take it from him. Not going to happen...AGAIN. They may not make it out of the East.

Spurs aren't going 9-0 on this road trip either, the law of averages will catch up with them.

However, they are getting better defensively which should make them West contenders.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-12-2012, 10:16 PM

Miami is completely weak in the paint, both on O and on D. I think Chicago would be more of a problem.

Wild Cobra Kai
02-12-2012, 10:18 PM
The Heat are the best defensive team in the NBA, defense wins championships. Besides they have enough individual talent to provide enough half-court offense to win.

They suck in the half court. If they're not generating TOs to fuel the break, they are very beatable. Teams are catching on, and they have cooled off. They are only two games better than us right now.

phxspurfan
02-12-2012, 10:25 PM
Miami is completely weak in the paint, both on O and on D. I think Chicago would be more of a problem.

Yes, Chicago is the worst matchup for the Spurs. They are confident and clicking, and nobody is going to stop D Rose. Strangely, I would feel the same way if the Heat did not have LeBron and instead had a decent supporting cast around D Wade. The Heat would be contenders every year and probably win a boatload of championships with D Wade and a good supporting cast only, with no contention as to who should get the ball in the clutch.

Ditto with the Celtics as well. That Doc Rivers coached squad would play the Spurs game and possibly beat them at it. Pierce would go off and have about 20 FTs per night.

Blake
02-12-2012, 10:30 PM
Fool's Gold!

Robz4000
02-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Chicago is basically the Lakers of the near past, with DRose taking the role of Kobe. They're also a bit deeper. However, Coach Thib =/= Phil Jackson. Bulls vs Spurs would be an interesting series for sure. Celtics would be a tough match-up too, but I can't see them competing with the more athletic teams of the East. Spurs could beat the Heat as they're built now, tbh. That choke in Miami earlier this season was mostly due to bad chemistry, lack of confidence, and no D; Spurs have fixed those issues and can easily improve with a trade.

Barfunk
02-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Can't fucking wait till the playoffs!

Hoops Czar
02-12-2012, 10:40 PM
I will say this.

Manu in playoffs...
09 - out entire playoffs

Tony parker carried the spurs in 07. Injuries are a part of the game, they aren't built in excuses. Some fool starts one of these threads every season and the spurs fall flat on their faces in the postseason. With still over 2 months left in the season, sit back and enjoy he ride.

DesignatedT
02-12-2012, 10:53 PM
just stay healthy the rest of the way. that's all anyone should be worried about right now. I really wouldn't mind if Pop started sitting Duncan more than he has.

Hoops Czar
02-12-2012, 10:57 PM
magic johnson just picked the spurs to beat the lakers in the first round & win the west over oklahoma city

I think he said assuming the lakers make the playoffs.

jimo2305
02-12-2012, 11:15 PM
i admire the optimism in this thread

phxspurfan
02-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Some fool starts one of these threads every season and the spurs fall flat on their faces in the postseason.

This makes sense, coming from someone who became a ST member in 2010.

The Spurs don't fall flat on their faces every postseason. And I haven't seen this type of team in a few years. Last year, for instance, we didn't play this type of ball. We were the Suns last year, and everyone knew we didn't really have a great chance of winning it all with that style of ball. And the last two years we had to contend with teams like the Lakers and Mavs who were obviously better teams. This year the optimism is there because those teams aren't nearly as good and the West is wide open.

And yes, it is okay for fans to feel good about their team and express optimism. You should try it sometime.

DMC
02-12-2012, 11:25 PM
We have better defensive chemistry and ability it seems, however there are other teams that have not hit their stride yet but are showing signs (like the defending champs) that could pose a problem if they ever get it going.

I don't see the Clippers doing anything because I think they lack discipline to win close games in the playoffs, and Vinny isn't going to get them over that hump in one year. The Spurs have the benefit of having played together (big 3) for many years, so if they are healthy, they will be hard to beat.

OKC might surge but it's going to depend on where Perkins is mentally come playoff time. If he's Celtics Finals Perkins, they're golden.

What will be our problem is the Bonner/Jefferson/Blair unknown (kinda known by now). We cannot win a championship if these guys do the annual disappearing act in the playoffs. We're winning games now but then Bonner has no pressure on him, and we are winning despite Blair's issues and the fact RJ is the invisible fucking man out there on most nights.

I think we have at least one more injury to contend with, and if it's a big bench player like Tiago, we could be in trouble if it comes later in the season.

Borosai
02-13-2012, 12:12 AM
You gotta call it right:

Championship!

SA210
02-13-2012, 12:24 AM
I believe with THIS team, we can win a championship. I believe this team needs to be completely healthy, but the other half is on Pop. A healthy team and the correct lineups for PLAYOFF basketball are key. Our team can do it, will Pop focus on D when that time comes? I don't have faith that he will do what's right. Tiago, Manu and Leonard need to be starting.

But I'm in. No matter what, as much as I can't stand what Pop has become, I bleed silver and black. I believe in Manu as our leader who will do what he can to win.

Go Spurs!

ElNono
02-13-2012, 12:37 AM
THIS time Matty won't choke!

therealtruth
02-13-2012, 12:40 AM
The achilles heel is going to be the same as last season: the frontcourt. With Tony/Manu it's possible to win the battle on the perimeter but they need rebounds, defense, and post scoring from the frontcourt. TD needs help. TS has shown he can help when giving minutes. His post scoring and defense have been welcome additions. The problem is Bonner/Blair.

That being said this team is alot tougher than last year's team. This team looks like it will at least fight back in the playoffs and match the intensity.

Hoops Czar
02-13-2012, 12:57 AM
This makes sense, coming from someone who became a ST member in 2010.

The Spurs don't fall flat on their faces every postseason. And I haven't seen this type of team in a few years. Last year, for instance, we didn't play this type of ball. We were the Suns last year, and everyone knew we didn't really have a great chance of winning it all with that style of ball. And the last two years we had to contend with teams like the Lakers and Mavs who were obviously better teams. This year the optimism is there because those teams aren't nearly as good and the West is wide open.

And yes, it is okay for fans to feel good about their team and express optimism. You should try it sometime.

Well sherlock homes, you've solved the case. This site doesn't exist unless your an active member and you post in it.

This spurs team is exactly the same as last year. The only difference is the fact that the spurs have shifted to a half court game which means less possessions for the opposing team. The spurs were a terrible fast break team turning the ball over countless times leading to easy baskets in the other direction. Slowing the game down not only gives the spurs a chance to win games, but prevents further wear and tear on players like duncan.

Furthermore, assuming the lakers don't make a deadline deal, the mavs and lakers loss is the clippers and thunders gain. The west isn't as wide open as you think it is. If the spurs don't seek out another big that can rebound, i don't see a long playoff run.

phxspurfan
02-13-2012, 01:03 AM
If the spurs don't seek out another big that can rebound, i don't see a long playoff run.

I agree with you here. The FO has to do their job this year. That much is obvious. I just hope and pray they do b/c I think this is the best and only shot this team will have for a long, long time.

therealtruth
02-13-2012, 01:25 AM
I agree with you here. The FO has to do their job this year. That much is obvious. I just hope and pray they do b/c I think this is the best and only shot this team will have for a long, long time.

Bonner/Blair experiment has gone on too long. A three man rotation of Tim, Tiago and Dice or a rebounding/defensive power forward is what's needed. Bonner can get some spot minutes to possibly hit shots.

therealtruth
02-13-2012, 01:29 AM
Well sherlock homes, you've solved the case. This site doesn't exist unless your an active member and you post in it.

This spurs team is exactly the same as last year. The only difference is the fact that the spurs have shifted to a half court game which means less possessions for the opposing team. The spurs were a terrible fast break team turning the ball over countless times leading to easy baskets in the other direction. Slowing the game down not only gives the spurs a chance to win games, but prevents further wear and tear on players like duncan.

Furthermore, assuming the lakers don't make a deadline deal, the mavs and lakers loss is the clippers and thunders gain. The west isn't as wide open as you think it is. If the spurs don't seek out another big that can rebound, i don't see a long playoff run.

I don't think it's just switching back to half court. It's about controlling pace. They didn't do that great a job last year with that. Last year they tried to play at a fast pace even when they were misfiring. If your missing your shots and or taking bad shots you might want to slow the game down to get your offense back on track. If you're in a flow you want to speed the game up and get more shots. Conversely, you want the opposite to happen for your opponent.

TJastal
02-13-2012, 01:50 AM
The Spurs will win the championship this year. The defense is getting where it needs to be and the team is just so balanced.

I have felt it for about a month now. The Manu injury was a major test and the Spurs have passed with flying colors. The RRT record will be 9-0 and Duncan will win one for the thumb.

Funny how someone says this every year.

TJastal
02-13-2012, 01:51 AM

Funny how someone says this every year.

Hoops Czar
02-13-2012, 01:54 AM
I don't think it's just switching back to half court. It's about controlling pace. They didn't do that great a job last year with that. Last year they tried to play at a fast pace even when they were misfiring. If your missing your shots and or taking bad shots you might want to slow the game down to get your offense back on track. If you're in a flow you want to speed the game up and get more shots. Conversely, you want the opposite to happen for your opponent.

Yes, thats one in the same. You play hallf court to slow down the pace. And yeah, the spurs took a lot of quick unwarranted shot leading to long rebounds and high percentage shots in the other direction. For the spurs to be successful, they need to hold their opponents to roughly 85 to 90 possessions. If they do that, they should win most of their games.

objective
02-13-2012, 02:19 AM
The Spurs will be the same fraud team they were last year in this year's playoffs if Jefferson plays any minutes and Splitter isn't playing 30+ minutes a game. Leonard, Manu, Green, and Neal should get every minute of time in the playoffs at the SG and SF spots, with Anderson in case of foul trouble being last. And Splitter not playing more minutes than either Blair or Bonner by a good margin is forfeiting. So of course the likelihood is that Splitter won't get minutes and Jefferson will play a ton until it's too little too late and the team is facing elimination.

Even then this year they'd be at a severe disadvantage because Duncan and Splitter can't play every minute, and Bonner is proven playoff trash and Blair's defense is atrocious and he's so fat he can't even dunk anymore.

rmt
02-13-2012, 03:18 AM
Spurs will not go far in the playoffs with Bonner and Blair getting major minutes. Bonner will choke and Blair's too short. I could see them getting lucky with match ups (OKC, DAL, LAL in the 1,4,5,8 seeds with OKC reaching WCF) and coming out of the West but I don't see them beating a healthy CHI or MIA.

DeadlyDynasty
02-13-2012, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the laughs.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
02-13-2012, 07:55 AM
If everything breaks the right way we could win it, but I want to see some SPAM in evidence first. This could be a mirage, we've seen a lot of them in the past 4 years.

urunobili
02-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Finals loss is the ceiling TBH

bklynspursfan
02-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the laughs.

no Thank YOU for the laughs... It's been great watching the Lakers thus far this season. :lol

bklynspursfan
02-13-2012, 10:34 AM
I think health is a major concern as everyone is saying, as well as getting another big. I know in 07 we didn't even when everyone said "Spurs should make a move".

TimmehC
02-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Spurs would have to get incredibly lucky, and even then I don't feel like this team has the right formula for winning in the playoffs(but they look more like a good playoff team than last year's squad).

Leetonidas
02-13-2012, 10:41 AM

Seeing as how McDyess is gone, Splitter plays a hell of a lot more, Danny Green gets good minutes, and Leonard is a defensive beast....well, you need to look up the definition of the word "exactly." Spurs defense at this point (and still improving) is better than at any point last season.

Leetonidas
02-13-2012, 10:43 AM
I think health is a major concern as everyone is saying, as well as getting another big. I know in 07 we didn't even when everyone said "Spurs should make a move".

Tim Duncan was also in his prime at the time, near the end of it, but still he was much better than he is now. Give us 2007 Duncan and we might be the favorites tbh.

A 2003 Duncan would be the best player in the league by a good margin :depressed

will_spurs
02-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Finals loss is the ceiling TBH

Well, I'll never understand that. I guess you can stop watching and come back in November...

As far as I'm concerned the ceiling is a championship, each and every year. An this year more than most, actually.

:flag: :lobt2: :flag:

bklynspursfan
02-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Tim Duncan was also in his prime at the time, near the end of it, but still he was much better than he is now. Give us 2007 Duncan and we might be the favorites tbh.

A 2003 Duncan would be the best player in the league by a good margin :depressed

Definitely agree. 2003 Duncan would be great, and undoubtedly the best player on both ends of the floor.

For now, if he can put up 15-16 and 10-11 boards in the playoffs (which he definitely can) and we can continue to play defense, I like our chances. Our back court should do fine (TP is playing with a chip on his shoulder after letting Conley out play him) and Manu has had a lot of rest. Throw in our bench guys (the real wild card) and anythings possible.

Hoops Czar
02-13-2012, 01:27 PM
Seeing as how McDyess is gone, Splitter plays a hell of a lot more, Danny Green gets good minutes, and Leonard is a defensive beast....well, you need to look up the definition of the word "exactly." Spurs defense at this point (and still improving) is better than at any point last season.

Not unusual to see another spurstalk member fail at reading comprehension. What you need to do is check out the stats from last year and compare them to this year. They are league average defensively and just because the sum of the parts change doesn't mean the team changes. The big three wil carry the spurs to a fifth or it isn't happening. As far as the other players you mentioned, green is very sporadic and wouldn't be starting for all but a small handful of teams none of which are thinking playoffs and leonard is far from a beast defensively.

manufan10
02-13-2012, 01:37 PM
:flag: :lobt2: :flag:

manufan10
02-13-2012, 01:38 PM
leonard is far from a beast defensively.

While he may not be Bruce Bowen yet, he is well on his way. He's disruptive and his length has given opposing players problems.

Can't wait to see Leonard take on Kobe. :king

Hoops Czar
02-13-2012, 01:52 PM
While he may not be Bruce Bowen yet, he is well on his way. He's disruptive and his length has given opposing players problems.

Can't wait to see Leonard take on Kobe. :king

I'm not sure if he'll ever be bruce bowen, but i would certainly settle for a shane battier sometime down the line.

therealtruth
02-13-2012, 02:08 PM

The Spurs were lucky the Warriors knocked out the Mavs then they got by a Suns team in a controversial series. The Jazz and Cavs were their easiest opponents.

phxspurfan
02-13-2012, 02:23 PM
The Spurs were lucky the Warriors knocked out the Mavs then they got by a Suns team in a controversial series. The Jazz and Cavs were their easiest opponents.

Guy, that's how playoff systems work. When was the last time you saw a Super bowl with the two best teams in the NFL playing each other?

And if we had a perfect system back in 2000-2007, the finals would have been some combination of Lakers, Spurs, Suns Mavs every year with no east coast representation at all.

I just hope we get lucky with the matchups and get some good breaks for a (recent) change. Then we have a shot at winning it all. If we play the Heat right now in a 7 game series, with the roster as-is, I think we win.

DubMcDub
02-13-2012, 04:13 PM
[B]I had this same feeling back in '07 as well.

:lol:lol:lol

phxspurfan
02-13-2012, 05:49 PM
:lol:lol:lol

How's it funny? I see it as me being an all-seeing prophet, in the same category as a Nostradamus or World Cup Octopus.

Sean Cagney
02-13-2012, 06:40 PM
magic johnson just picked the spurs to beat the lakers in the first round & win the west over oklahoma city

That would be great, but I don't now if it will happen.

rmt
02-13-2012, 06:41 PM
If we play the Heat right now in a 7 game series, with the roster as-is, I think we win.

I was sitting behind the Spurs bench when they played MIA and trust me, it was embarrassing - worse than the 30 point beat down last year. At least then, Spurs didn't have a what 14 point lead going into half time (that's a 44 count them, 44 point swing).

EmantheSpursFan
02-13-2012, 06:54 PM
im calling a 1999 rematch, NY/SA in the finals

Tony vs Lin
Manu vs Melo
Tim vs Amare
Tiago vs Chandler

TampaDude
02-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Hey, it's a lockout year just like 1999...of course the Spurs will win it all this year! DUH!!!

GO SPURS GO!!!!!

Kool Bob Love
02-13-2012, 11:12 PM
:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt2:

IN!

:toast

TIMMYtoZO
02-13-2012, 11:54 PM

:lol Tim Duncan is a role player now. Unless he reverts to his superstar self in May, San Antonio won't even win the west.

bklynspursfan
02-14-2012, 09:12 AM
:lol Tim Duncan is a role player now. Unless he reverts to his superstar self in May, San Antonio won't even win the west.

He's a role player that's still going to rebound, block, and defend like very few bigs in the game today day. (ex: bosh :lol ) He might be the 3rd or 4th option, but Tony and Manu will shoulder the load, and throw it down to Tim in the post when the game needs to slow down. He's putting up like 16 and 11 over the last few weeks? Give me that as a role player all day :flag:

LongtimeSpursFan
02-14-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm on board. A healthy Manu is the most important piece to winning a championship.

ginobilized
02-14-2012, 02:55 PM
No more injuries, please.
Lots of basketball to go before we will know the answer to that, but, I like the direction we are heading, for sure.

Mal
02-14-2012, 02:58 PM
What is David Stern thinking about this idea ?

Budkin
02-14-2012, 04:34 PM
This team is playing great but I just don't see it happening. We need one more big up front to solidify our chances as a title contender.