PDA

View Full Version : What was your favorite year in sports?

DeadlyDynasty
02-13-2012, 07:05 PM
For me it's 2001. I got to see 3 teams I like win titles, including two of the most dominant teams to ever play their sport.

Marlins, (Florida) Panthers, and Bills sucked, but everything else was gold:

-Terps won the NCAA title in basketball (I went to school at both UMiami, and UMaryland)

-2001 Miami Hurricanes were the greatest team in College football history. Fuck off with that '95 Nebraska bullshit--just look at the players on that U team and you'll understand.

-Lakers holocausted their opponents in the playoffs. Most dominant playoffs ever.

What year was your fav?

ginobili's bald spot
02-13-2012, 07:24 PM
'88

Koolaid_Man
02-13-2012, 07:29 PM
For me it's 2001. I got to see 3 teams I like win titles, including two of the most dominant teams to ever play their sport.

-Terps won the NCAA title in basketball (I went to school at both UMiami, and UMaryland)

-2001 Miami Hurricanes were the greatest team in College football history. Fuck off with that '95 Nebraska bullshit--just look at the players on that U team and you'll understand.

-Lakers holocausted their opponents in the playoffs. Most dominant playoffs ever.

What year was your fav?

I'mma keep it real..It was 1996 no doubt ...that was not only the best sports year it was the best year of my life..the best year ever and I wish I could relive that year...so much happened that year...First off sadly PAC died ( and I cried)...real talk...I spent that summer in NYC with some of my fucked up ass cousins. Crazy sex parties...Balling in different bouroughs...mainly in Jamaica queens...those neggras could straight hoop...I remember :lol niggras chasing me barefooted across bridges wanting to fight and shit cuz I wasn't from there...I think it was around PS-148 or some shit we used to hang out at...Butch , Kareem and some other Negrras mad at me cuz some bitch named Michelle wanted to be with an LA negrra..it was a wild year all the way around...I miss those days and reminisce with fondness ...:toast

Kobe was a rookie, I was living the young young life...:lol

Outside of Snoops Doggystyle CD...JODECI, 2Pac's All Eyez On Me ( and prior to his death in Sept of 96) all we jammed was these songs :

-8Oi1gtu_Kw NW55FRXlPEs

It was just a fucking bad ass year :toast

BUMP
02-13-2012, 07:30 PM

What year was your fav?

rofl mine was the same actually and that was the first year I really started following sports.

-Mavericks began to emerge

-Lakers/Kings series

-I really liked the Mariners since i had family that lived in Seattle and that was the year they won 116 games

-The Yankees/Dbacks world series

-Pats/Rams superbowl (even though it was technically in 02, it ended the 01 season)

adrienne
02-13-2012, 07:31 PM
2011. The championship. And even though the Rangers ended up breaking my heart, it was an awesome year.

Giuseppe
02-13-2012, 07:50 PM
'10.

There was a certain contentment that followed on June 17th. A finality of misery for me. Seeing Bryant back bite Daddy like that came as a monumental surprise. The fact that Media had not been tipped off, had no common knowledge of it, had not seen it coming made it truly unforgettable. Bryant had heard, had skulled Daddy out, had put his upper rung on the curb and ordered him= "Now, say good night."

Seeing Artest confess to cowardice in the immediate aftermath of #16 was an equally moving experience. Again, Media had no prior knowledge. We knew when they knew. It was confession that held no qualifier. It was Artest's finest moment and lifted all of us to a higher station.

pass1st
02-13-2012, 08:03 PM

Ward vs Gatti 1&2
LAL vs SAC
The end of the 3peat

Reck
02-13-2012, 08:09 PM

-One of the best years in NASCAR in the 2000 era
-Red Sox win World Series
-Spurs Win Champ

Ashy Larry
02-13-2012, 08:27 PM
'88

los doyers
lakers
and NWA destroyed that pussy rap shit from the East Coast......

DeadlyDynasty
02-13-2012, 08:55 PM
los doyers
lakers
and NWA destroyed that pussy rap shit from the East Coast......

lCiGSEsoTDM

lefty
02-13-2012, 09:37 PM

Brazil
02-13-2012, 09:51 PM
1998 for me ! France 3 Brazil 0

DeadlyDynasty
02-13-2012, 09:53 PM
1998 for me ! France 3 Brazil 0

Was Zidane a dirty bastard back then too?

HarlemHeat37
02-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Zidane is the GOAT, tbh..

DAF86
02-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Zidane isn't even the GOAT French.

DeadlyDynasty
02-13-2012, 10:09 PM

Wouldn't know, brah...just familiar with the headbutt fiasco.

Truth be told I know we have a lot of fans of the sport on ST--including many posters I respect--but soccer is gayer than showtunes.

Brazil
02-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Was Zidane a dirty bastard back then too?

well Zidane has always had his daemons, he is coming from a tough area in Marseille and was subject to loose control, like during the game against south africa. So yeah always been an issue with him. He was not dirty during 99% of the games but in some games he was just doing a stupid stuff.

Brazil
02-13-2012, 10:15 PM

well he is not mine but the vast majority of the people consider is the french GOAT.

Mine is Platini :toast good old times Platini, Giresse and Tigana

TIMMYtoZO
02-13-2012, 10:17 PM
2012 for me. The New York Giants win the Super Bowl, The Miami Heat are going to win the title, and the Phillies will win it all as long as the season doesn't come down to Ryan Howard.

Killakobe81
02-13-2012, 11:03 PM
1. Lakers win back2back (first since celts)
2. Dogers and Hershisher roll (not a big Dodgers fan but that was amazing)
3. Troy aikman leads UCLA to a 10-2 finish

Girasuck
02-13-2012, 11:15 PM
Lets see...since all my teams suck donkey ass I'd have to say 2009 when the Pens won the Stanley Cup.

Muser
02-13-2012, 11:17 PM

Deuce Bigalow
02-13-2012, 11:59 PM

Fpoonsie
02-14-2012, 12:21 AM
'05.

'04 was the worst year of my life, so when the Spurs rang the following June, it was the first time I felt something resembling happiness in months.

Deuce Bigalow
02-14-2012, 12:28 AM
'05.

'04 was the worst year of my life, so when the Spurs rang the following June, it was the first time I felt something resembling happiness in months.
http://i41.tinypic.com/11qtjio.jpg

Fpoonsie
02-14-2012, 12:32 AM
http://i41.tinypic.com/11qtjio.jpg

Nah, not that.

Deuce Bigalow
02-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Nah, not that.
what was it then?

Fpoonsie
02-14-2012, 12:35 AM
Wasn't sports related.

Kewni Leonard
02-14-2012, 04:31 AM
'05

DMC
02-14-2012, 08:24 AM
That one year.

JoeTait75
02-14-2012, 08:32 AM
Toss-up between 1994 & 2002:

1994:

- Jacobs Field opens and the Indians, after four decades as one of the worst franchises in sports, emerge as a powerhouse with the best lineup baseball had seen since the Big Red Machine.

- Bill Belichick has his one moment of glory in Cleveland as the Browns go 11-5, give up the fewest points in the NFL and beat New England for their last playoff victory to date. Eric Turner (RIP) was ridiculous that year, just a dominant player on defense.

2002:

- Kent State's basketball team led by Trevor Huffman and Antonio Gates reaches the Elite 8 of the NCAA Tournament. Maybe my favorite team I've ever rooted for at any level.

- Ohio State's football team goes 14-0 and wins the BCS Championship. Maybe half of the ten greatest OSU games I've ever seen are played in this one season, and the Buckeyes win them all.

- Browns go 9-7 and reach the playoffs for the first time since the Return in 1999. Looking back it's actually hard to believe the Browns have had a winning season (two, actually) and reached the playoffs since '99. Sometimes it seems as if they've gone 4-12 every year since they came back.

Killakobe81
02-14-2012, 08:38 AM

1994:

- Jacobs Field opens and the Indians, after four decades as one of the worst franchises in sports, emerge as a powerhouse with the best lineup baseball had seen since the Big Red Machine.

- Bill Belichick has his one moment of glory in Cleveland as the Browns go 11-5, give up the fewest points in the NFL and beat New England for their last playoff victory to date. Eric Turner (RIP) was ridiculous that year, just a dominant player on defense.

2002:

- Kent State's basketball team led by Trevor Huffman and Antonio Gates reaches the Elite 8 of the NCAA Tournament. Maybe my favorite team I've ever rooted for at any level.

- Ohio State's football team goes 14-0 and wins the BCS Championship. Maybe half of the ten greatest OSU games I've ever seen are played in this one season, and the Buckeyes win them all.

- Browns go 9-7 and reach the playoffs for the first time since the Return in 1999. Looking back it's actually hard to believe the Browns have had a winning season (two, actually) and reached the playoffs since '99. Sometimes it seems as if they've gone 4-12 every year since they came back.

Eric Turner was a stud ...Go Bruins!!!

DeadlyDynasty
02-14-2012, 08:48 AM

1994:

2002:

:flipoffpass interference 20 seconds after the play's over. I'll skip over that bullshit team now though and concentrate on the rest of your post.

I really liked that Kent State team (same year the Terps won the title) and remember them well. They were playing great that tourney but IU hit something like 15-20 3's in that Elite 8 game...they couldn't miss, and it was a shame.

The 2002 Browns were one of the strangest playoff teams I can ever remember. Recall their first game of the year when they lost a shootout with KC b/c Dwayne Rudd ripped his helmet off in celebration?:rollin

Killakobe81
02-14-2012, 09:39 AM
:flipoffpass interference 20 seconds after the play's over. I'll skip over that bullshit team now though and concentrate on the rest of your post.

I really liked that Kent State team (same year the Terps won the title) and remember them well. They were playing great that tourney but IU hit something like 15-20 3's in that Elite 8 game...they couldn't miss, and it was a shame.

The 2002 Browns were one of the strangest playoff teams I can ever remember. Recall their first game of the year when they lost a shootout with KC b/c Dwayne Rudd ripped his helmet off in celebration?:rollin

I agree that call was horseshut but that Miami team did not playtheir best that night and the knee injury to the RB was devestating ...but OSU won, and that is all that matters ..

Jodelo
02-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Zidane is the GOAT, tbh..

Yep!

He is the best player to ever play the game, stop sucking Messi's dick when he can't win shit without Xavi who is Barcelona's best player!

lefty
02-14-2012, 10:14 AM
well he is not mine but the vast majority of the people consider is the french GOAT.

Mine is Platini :toast good old times Platini, Giresse and Tigana
Platini the French GOAT?

YMMV

DAF86
02-14-2012, 10:25 AM
He is the best player to ever play the game, stop sucking Messi's dick when he can't win shit without Xavi who is Barcelona's best player!

http://www.selectism.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/time-magazine-king-lionel-messi-cover.jpg

Suck it up hater :lol

I'm a Zidane fan but the only ones that can trully believe that he is the GOAT are people that really don't know much about football.

Zidane wasn't even the best player of his generation, Brazilian Ronaldo gets that tag.

tlongII
02-14-2012, 10:27 AM

Giuseppe
02-14-2012, 10:29 AM
^All those white guys, t. Media was in 7th heaven. They absolutely fell in love with that Gross kid.

Killakobe81
02-14-2012, 10:38 AM

:lol

Is there any other choice? That is pre-curse Blazers era ...

JoeTait75
02-14-2012, 11:09 AM

If Antonio Gates was a few inches taller he would have played in the NBA. He was a really, really good basketball player.

mercos
02-14-2012, 11:58 AM
1996 for me. Started the year with a Cowboys win in the Super Bowl. MJ and the Bulls were dominating and won the title (I was a kid and a typical Bulls front runner back then). The Braves were the defending champs and went back to the world series at the end of the year. (Damn you Jim Leyritz....) Kentucky won the national title.

Jodelo
02-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Suck it up hater :lol

I'm a Zidane fan but the only ones that can trully believe that he is the GOAT are people that really don't know much about football.

Zidane wasn't even the best player of his generation, Brazilian Ronaldo gets that tag.

What does the pic prove? And :lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao Ronaldo named the best player that generation, wow...

LnGrrrR
02-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Hard choice. 2001 was the Patriots first SB, which was extremely memorable for me. 2004 was the year the Red Sox won it, plus I was in Houston for the Pats SB win, watching it at a Hooters. 2007 was the year the Celtics became relevant again and the Red Sox won again, but the Pats SB loss brings that year down.

Looking back, I'd have to say 2004. Beating the Yankees won't be topped, though the magical 2001 SB run is a close second.

Giuseppe
02-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Looking back, I'd have to say 2004. Beating the Yankees won't be topped

I've said here before but that was a f'in' weird one. At 0-3 it didn't feel correct. I wasn't even heavily involved just caught traces and then some after the first 3 games, but, it wasn't right. Then it was over so quick even though it took 4 straight. Like a foregone conclusion. Like the Yankees were rushing to the gas chamber.

A true calamity.