PDA

View Full Version : Stat of the day . . .

timvp
02-14-2012, 10:56 AM
So I asked myself: "Self, how many bigmen in the NBA are as well rounded as Tiago Splitter?"

Per 36 minutes, Splitter is averaging 16.2 points, 9.1 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.4 blocks and 5.0 free throw attempts. I use basketball-reference.com to search for players who are averaging 16 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block and 5 free throw attempts per 36 minutes this season.

I'm surprised when only two players in the NBA match that criteria.

Tiago Splitter is obviously one.

The other?

Tim Duncan.

:hat

Leetonidas
02-14-2012, 10:58 AM
We STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACKED

Cant_Be_Faded
02-14-2012, 11:05 AM
Pretty awesome. But is Tiago the caliber of player to play at that rate given extended minutes, or is his production a result of Pop's genius?

Agloco
02-14-2012, 11:09 AM
:tu

timvp
02-14-2012, 11:10 AM
But is Tiago the caliber of player to play at that rate given extended minutes

Maybe not, tbh. That's why I had to hurry up and make this thread :toast

Hopefully Splitter can continue to produce even when his role grows and teams figure out he's more than just a blue-collar guy. I doubt he will be able to put up these TD-lite stats but he keeps surprising me so who knows . . .

cheguevara
02-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Here are the guys that fit without the FT stat:

Duncan
Tiago
Garnett
Gasol
Smith

TDMVPDPOY
02-14-2012, 11:57 AM
to say splitter cant put up those kind of stats is bullshit

remember when duncan was out for a couple of games, and rasho took over...he avg like 15ppg 9rpg during a stretch of 5-6 games....

splitter can get those type of stats as long he gets himself free, and players feeding him when his open

will_spurs
02-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Here are the guys that fit without the FT stat:

Duncan
Tiago
Garnett
Gasol
Smith

To be honest this is well crafted stats selection by Timvp :)

Howard isn't on the list because he averages only 1.9 assists per 36 minutes, just 0.1 assists short of the mark... yet the rest of his numbers are 19.1, 14.3, 2 blocks and 10.5 FTA :lol

cheguevara
02-14-2012, 12:04 PM
yeah, that 5FT stat is crazy. If Splitter keeps it up and thorughout the playoffs, they might as well give us the Obrian already

timvp
02-14-2012, 12:06 PM
to say splitter cant put up those kind of stats is bullshit

remember when duncan was out for a couple of games, and rasho took over...he avg like 15ppg 9rpg during a stretch of 5-6 games....

Tbh, you just hurt your own case.

TJastal
02-14-2012, 12:10 PM
Nice find, Timvp. Thats amazing. I always had a hunch that Splitter could average close to a double-double if only the minutes were available.

Now if Pop wasn't such a craven lummox as to actually both of these very talented, skilled, big men together for extended stretches of games and effectively send Blair to the bench where he belongs the spurs might yet put another ring on Duncan's finger before the wheels fall off.

timvp
02-14-2012, 12:17 PM
To be honest this is well crafted stats selection by Timvp :)

Wasn't on purpose but yeah that type of statistical maneuvering isn't too useful in the grand scheme of things.

My favorite one ever was probably this one:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=per_minute&per_minute_base=36&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=2011&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=0&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=mp_per_g_req&c1stat=pts_per_mp&c1comp=gt&c1val=20&c2stat=ast_per_mp&c2comp=gt&c2val=6&c3stat=fg_pct&c3comp=gt&c3val=.54&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws#stats::none

Tony Parker, the only player in NBA history to ever average 20 points and 6 assists per 36 minutes while shooting better than 54% from the field.

Or, if you want to use just regular averages: Tony Parker and Wilt Chamberlain are the only players in history to have a season in which they averaged at least 18.5 points and 5.5 assists while shooting at least 54% from the field.

:smokin

:smchode:

mercos
02-14-2012, 12:17 PM
The only stat Splitter might have trouble reaching is the 9 rebounds a game. On defense he typically moves to protect the rim against anyone who drives the lane and is out of rebounding position. That is part of the reason Bonner's rebounding numbers have gone up lately. I actually think his scoring average would be higher than 16 if given over 30 minutes a game and the proper amount of touches. He scores so many easy baskets. His movement without the ball is possibly the best in the league by a big man.

manufan10
02-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Nice find, Timvp. Thats amazing. I always had a hunch that Splitter could average close to a double-double if only the minutes were available.

Now if Pop wasn't such a craven lummox as to actually both of these very talented, skilled, big men together for extended stretches of games and effectively send Blair to the bench where he belongs the spurs might yet put another ring on Duncan's finger before the wheels fall off.

I doubt that.

TJastal
02-14-2012, 12:51 PM
I doubt that.

I posted it last year I thought he could average 15 and 10 with full time starter minutes.

I believe I was in the minority of that opinion.

WeNeedLength
02-14-2012, 01:14 PM
dxqTa7XV038

this is whottt i teengk of when i read posts about tiago from gnsf

And this is what i think of when you post...

http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/21765000/ngbbs4c898f23ef003.jpg

jjktkk
02-14-2012, 01:36 PM

Always huh Tjastal? :lmao

The guy will be a typical stiff in this league.. I think Aaron Gray and Sean Marks will have better and more distinguishable careers and that's even IF he decides to actually come to the nba.

In the games I've watched, Splitter does not play above the rim at all, he lacks the size and shotblocking to be a significant interior roadblock on defense and most of his offensive game is stunted by the same thing.

In fact Splitter does not possess any post moves, he makes his living in the pick and roll and beating small defenders with weak layups. That shit would get swatted into the 4th row in the nba on most nights.

All of which is not going to translate to the NBA level.

Biedrins would own the hell out of this guy as a comparable "white stiff" type player, and Biedrins isn't even that great.

I almost hope it comes out next week that the spurs couldn't get this trade through because Pop wouldn't throw in Splitter.

Then, when Splitter comes in next year and is way above his head, I'm going to have a field day laughing at all of you.

That bolded part is sig-worthy. Great quote! :D

If Splitter does decide to come to San Antonio next year (which is doubtful really) I highly doubt he's going to be an impact player for the spurs. The guy has very little athleticism, and is basically stapled to the floor much like Tim Duncan, yet he's shorter and has no post game to speak of. He is not going to compliment Duncan well at all, unless he based his game around being a knockdown perimeter shooter like Nowitski, which he is clearly NOT.

In a league that's getting faster and more athletic by the minute do you guys really think Tiago Splitter is the answer? I'm betting he won't be. At all.

TJastal
02-14-2012, 01:52 PM

Haha, good stuff. You got me good there, jj. :nutkick:

At least all that was back in 2009 when it was all just mere loosely based speculation based on whatever euroleague youtube clips were around. With a dash of frustration thrown in for good measure over the worry and hassle of wasting a pick on a guy who took 5 years to finally come to the nba.

manufan10
02-14-2012, 02:07 PM

With the goods.. I couldn't remember where I read that before, but I knew TJastal had said some stupid crap about Splitter in the past, and that just recently decided to change his tune.

jjktkk
02-14-2012, 02:41 PM

At least all that was back in 2009 when it was all just mere loosely based speculation based on whatever euroleague youtube clips were around. With a dash of frustration thrown in for good measure over the worry and hassle of wasting a pick on a guy who took 5 years to finally come to the nba.

^Translation= Another tj shitty take.

ChumpDumper
02-14-2012, 02:54 PM

At least all that was back in 2009 when it was all just mere loosely based speculation based on whatever euroleague youtube clips were around. With a dash of frustration thrown in for good measure over the worry and hassle of wasting a pick on a guy who took 5 years to finally come to the nba.lol 5

DPG21920
02-14-2012, 02:57 PM
LJ's neat-o stat of the night....

Presented by The Harbinger of Death Medical Center

GSH
02-14-2012, 05:00 PM
Those stats make for pretty rare company. If Tiago and keep them all at that level through the whole season, he will definitely be part of a select group. I ran the same same stats, back to 2000. The only big men who have managed do to it for an entire season were: Duncan (10), Shaq (7), Gasol (4), Chris Webber (2), Bosh (2), Jermaine O'neal (2), Yao (2), McDyess (1), and Mehmet Okur (1).

Nine players in a dozen years - ten if Splitter finishes the season intact. Having two of them on the same team is pretty incredible. I don't care if it is selective stat criteria, it says a lot about a big if he does it all. Being able to pass well out of the low blocks, and getting to the line are both seldom talked about, but important skills. I wish there was a stat for setting good screens. It would narrow the field even more, but Tim and Tiago would still make the cut.

Some guys get close. Boozer has never gotten enough blocks. Dwight Howard and Andrew Bynum don't get the assists. Marc Gasol and Brad Miller don't get the points. But to be honest, I was surprised how few even accomplished 16 pts. and 9 boards per 36.

timvp
02-14-2012, 05:32 PM
LJ's neat-o stat of the night....

Presented by The Harbinger of Death Medical Center:lol

Those stats make for pretty rare company. If Tiago and keep them all at that level through the whole season, he will definitely be part of a select group. I ran the same same stats, back to 2000. The only big men who have managed do to it for an entire season were: Duncan (10), Shaq (7), Gasol (4), Chris Webber (2), Bosh (2), Jermaine O'neal (2), Yao (2), McDyess (1), and Mehmet Okur (1).

Nine players in a dozen years - ten if Splitter finishes the season intact. Having two of them on the same team is pretty incredible. I don't care if it is selective stat criteria, it says a lot about a big if he does it all. Being able to pass well out of the low blocks, and getting to the line are both seldom talked about, but important skills. I wish there was a stat for setting good screens. It would narrow the field even more, but Tim and Tiago would still make the cut.

Some guys get close. Boozer has never gotten enough blocks. Dwight Howard and Andrew Bynum don't get the assists. Marc Gasol and Brad Miller don't get the points. But to be honest, I was surprised how few even accomplished 16 pts. and 9 boards per 36.

:tu GSH taking it to the next level. If Splitter can keep it up, he's definitely in great company.

While the selective criteria hurts the credibility of the results a bit, they are pretty basic numbers you look for out of a quality, well-rounded bigman. FTA, IMO, is pretty important because it shows that the bigman player is doing at least some of their damage in the paint. If you omit it, you can get some perimeter oriented bigs who don't draw much extra attention ... like Josh Smith.

therealtruth
02-14-2012, 05:52 PM

I've noticed he's good a boxing out and preventing the other team from getting the ball but he doesn't necessarily get the rebound himself. So the rebounding numbers don't bother me as long as the other team isn't getting the ball.

02-14-2012, 05:53 PM
im still cautious about splitter. i think these numbers are an anomaly. when he comes down to earth, we will see if he is a good player or not.

SpurNation
02-14-2012, 06:31 PM
Even more reason to keep Tim and Tiago separated on the court until crunch time. Each being able to help Blair and Bonner perform at their best while keeping them separated as well.

Brazil
02-14-2012, 06:39 PM

:lol